Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
Beloved Playa Mujeres(Playa Mujeres)
US$672
US$544
US$579
US$542
US$475
Bookit.com
Finest Playa Mujeres(Playa Mujeres)
US$448
US$420
Bookit.com
Hotel Riu Dunamar(Playa Mujeres)
US$249
  • Room Service
US$43
TripAdvisor
4,491 results
All reviewsbite barone bedroom suitevilla groupcar ferrytime sharefast ferryzama restaurantall inclusive packagemurphy bedall inclusive planferry to isla mujeresfull kitchenper devicewasher dryertimeshare presentationhammock on the balconysushi
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We stayed a week in the middle of March, part of spring break so they were very full. The studio we had was very beautiful and the hammock on the patio with a view facing the pool and beach was very relaxing. Our room was filled with fresh fruit when we arrived and the maids came twice each day. Outside of the fact it was so windy most every day and rained 3 days out of our week, it is beautiful in Cancun. The beach has white sand and lots of lounge chairs even if you got outside later in the day. The water is comfortable, but there are grass "sticks" floating on all the beaches, which surrounds you when you go in the water and washes up on the shore every day. They have beach crews who clean up daily due to this.

Our only "issue" was on Sunday when we decided to stay at the resort for the day and not take an excursion and the resort had a main water line break. We woke up to no running water. Could not flush the toilet or wash our hands. Unfortunately this lasted all day with no water for any of the rooms, restaurants or outdoor poolside toilets. We were told just a "couple of hours" so we stayed put not knowing how serious it was. We did get a jug of water delivered for us to flush our toilet and wash our hands (after we asked), but not to drink. We had our own bottled water to drink. I know the staff worked hard to help everyone during this time, but what they SHOULD have done was maintain the outdoor restrooms by helping flush the toilets so we would have someplace to use during this time. These restrooms were smelly, overflowing and unusable. It was very unsanitary for a day.

After no water for one day, we were offered "free Internet" and free movies for the next 3 days. However, we already had free Internet and the movie channel wouldn't work, plus we were flying home the next day. They took off "one" meal from our bill for compensation, not much for a bad day.

The funniest thing (I can call it funny now that I am home) were the housekeeping "missing" items each day: The Maids played a game of "Find What We Forgot" each day ...
(Now this was frustrating at the time. Their English was only a couple of words and it was hard to communicate with them)

Day 1: We had 2 bath towels, 2 hand towels, and 2 wash cloths.
Day 2: We had 1 less hand towel but a kitchen towel. They left a note for us to check off when we wanted room service and what extra towels we might want. I checked that we wanted 1 "extra" wash cloth.
Day 3: We had "1" wash cloth instead of 3. Hubby called room service to explain what we wanted.
Day 4: We had "2" wash cloths. Kitchen towel appeared one day but not the next.
Day 5: We had "1" wash cloth again! Hubby called room service and reexplained again what we wanted. (These people had good English)
Day 6: We were back to 2 wash cloths but 1 hand towel and a kitchen towel. This day the hotel had a broken water line for 24 hours and one of our wash cloths had to be used with spare water to wash our hands.
Day 7: Today we were missing our bathtub floor bathmat! We stayed indoors due to rain and waved off room service but took all the towels they had in their hands!
Day 8: Flew home to our wonderful cupboard of towels and running water!!

I will say the pools were large and beautiful, and two of the restaurants we ate at had delicious food. The concierge people were very helpful, and everyone was polite and friendly. Chichen Itza is a MUST see and the souvenier shopping was lots of fun. However, due to the isolated distance the hotel is from any shopping and activity, if you don't have a car, and we didn't, getting around is limited to their shuttle times. We probably won't revisit Cancun any time soon and if so, not sure which resort it will be next time.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lavona L
Hotel_Administration, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2016

Dear five2nine,

Thank you so much for having take the time to write a review on our property. We have implemented a response system where each of the comments will be answered within 48 hours.

We are also providing a special phone number and direct access to our General Manager 24/7 for any guest satisfaction issue. Additionally, we have created a guest relations desk in the lobby of our hotel to attend any issues and transform experiences from negative to positives.

Saturday:
• Arrived and checked in. Requested a room upgrade. Getting the upgrade took about 30 minutes because our person at the front desk had to keep going into the back to see how to do it.
• Agreed to go on the timeshare presentation since we would receive a discount card that entitled us to 30% off of our upgrade. The concierge verified that we would receive the 30% off of the upgrade for the full week even though we would not be on the tour until Sunday morning.
• Went to put our suitcases in out room. Our room has no room number so we have to guess to see if we have the correct room by walking up and down the hallway since there are a number of room numbers missing. It would have been nice if the front desk had told us this.
• Since the restaurants required reservations and we just arrived, we opted for the buffet.
o Got our food and sat down at a table. No was no one working the tables. I eventually retrieved our own silverware and napkins. Finally a person came by to get our drink orders. When the beer was delivered there was no glass so my wife requested a glass. After 30 minutes she gave up and went to a neighboring bar to get a glass.
o The food was cold. It was then I noticed that there were no sterno’s under the warming dishes.
o Dirty dishes from the people that had left before we arrived were still in the middle of the table by the time we left.
o Got extremely ill that night most likely from the food being left out cold.
Sunday:
• One sink in the bathroom dripped all night. Another sink had hardly any water coming out of it. Reported this in the morning to the front desk.
• Went on the time share presentation. The ninety minute presentation ran for three hours.
• That evening the water issues had not been fixed. We also had one television remote that did not work. Note that you cannot take out the batteries and reinsert them into the remote since the battery cover has been screwed in. Reported the remote for the first time and the water issues for the second time.
• The maid service left us a note asking when we would like maid service. The only problem is it does not say what to do with the note. It turns out that the front desk is supposed to ask you this when you check in.
Monday:
• Reported the water issues for the third time and the remote for the second time. Also reported that the internet was extremely slow.
• Sometime during the day the water issue and the remote were fixed (see Wednesday). The internet was not addressed.
Tuesday:
• We were hanging at the adult only pool. There were children playing in the pool. Note that there are no lifeguards at the adult only pool. Reported this to three workers. Nothing happened.
• My wife asked at the front desk if any locals came in and sold their crafts. She was told that we are at a five star resort and that is not allowed (see Wednesday)
Wednesday:
• The faucet is dripping all night again and the remote is broken again.
• The door to our unit was left open by the maid since it closed slowly and you have to be sure it is closed.
• We went down to dinner and noticed that the locals were in fact selling their crafts but we hit it when they were closing up because we were told that this does not happen at this resort.
Thursday:
• Asked for a preliminary copy of my bill. There was a discount on the room upgrade but not the 30%. Each person I spoke to at the front desk said the discount was 30% without even knowing what we paid for the upgrade. I asked for a manager and reviewed the above items.
• The manager came to our room to supervise the problems.
o Faucet Dripping:
 Faucet taken apart and parts replaced. Worked.
o Remote:
 One of the workers slammed the remote in his hand. Working now.
o Internet:
 Modem rebooted after I showed the poor response on a speed test. Worked.
o Adjustment to front door to make it close correctly:
 Promise to have fixed (never happened)
o 30% upgrade discount
 At first the manager told us that the discount card did not entitle us to the discount. After we showed him the paperwork with the discount card he then said the tax is not discounted (it is a percentage tax). After further discussions he agreed to fix our bill that night for the correct 30% discount (see Friday).
• At the towel booth there were individuals promoting a bus that takes you to various bars in town. As my wife is looking at this she is told by the individual promoting the tour that she would not be interested in it. This is before my wife has even said anything.

Friday:
• Went to have breakfast. When my wife poured syrup onto her French toast about thirty ants were swimming in the syrup on her plate. She showed the waiter who went with her to the manager. The manager never went to check the food to look for the problem. Instead the manager kept seating people and allowing people to use the syrup. We walked out and went to a different restaurant.
• Back to the front desk to make sure we were only billed for one breakfast. I ask for another preliminary copy of my bill. Now I have no discount at all, let alone 30%. I am also billed for a phone call that the manager made from my hotel room. So much for fixing the bill last night.
o 30% Discount
 In showing the bill that I received on Thursday and the incorrect discount on that bill, the manager behind the front desk proceeded to tell me that I received the correct discount on the first bill and it was 30% percent. I told him that the amount did not calculate to 30% of anything on the bill. Then I am told to calculate it for them. The original discount is put back on the bill and an additional adjustment to get it right.
o Phone Call
 The phone call is removed from the bill.
• I now want a manager to go over all of the issues I have had and make an adjustment to out bill, especially for getting me sick on Saturday night. I am told to be in my room at 3:00 and the manager will come by or call. By 4:00 I have had no call or visit. Went down to the front desk and waited 30 minutes in line. They do not know why I was told to be at my room at 3:00. They are still working on the case and I have been promised to have an email response by the time we leave tomorrow morning.

Conclusion - $200 was taken off of my bill. The facilities are nice but the management is out of control.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Paul N

Dear Paul N,

Reviewed 2 May 2014

This property is not only amazing but had the best costumer service of any resort my wife and I have ever been to. Adrian Pat at the Tiki Bar remembered my wife and I after spending only our first hour on the resort. Every time we went back throughout the week he called us by name and knew exactly what we wanted, plus he was a BLAST!!!! The staff walks around both the pool and beach constantly bringing you not only any drink you would like but food as well! Plus every restaurant was similar to dining out 5 star not just the typical buffet throughout the day. you actually feel like your going out to eat every night. Make sure to take the ferry to Isla Mujeres and the short taxi ride to El Meco, both very worth it. This resort is perfect for a relaxing low key getaway or family vacation. I hope we will be back soon!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Sean F,

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Had a wonderful time. We stayed 3 nights and ready to go back. All inclusive package was great, saw a review to make restaurant reservations before we left; great tip. Went to Isla Mujeres and had a great day there. Spent one day south of Cancun on a snorkel trip and went to El Meco ruins. We went to relax and not get involved in the hustle and bustle of what we had heard was the hotel zone. Perfect choice for us because we could get to town and see if we wanted, but had most of the things we wanted on property. Always greeted with a smile and treated very well. I will definitely return, would be great with friends or family.

Room Tip: our room was on second floor but still had great view of the complex and the ocean
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank larryh78

Dear larryh78,

Reviewed 30 April 2014

This is a very nice property. It was clean, well maintained and a lot of fun for the kids. Drawbacks included being a ways from the city (they did have a free shuttle), there is the time share pressure, and they were weird about the all-inclusive options. As far as the all inclusive goes, we were disappointed. I booked every dining night at a different restaurant prior to our arrival. The first night we arrived and there we were on the list and all was well. The next day, all of our dinner reservations were lost. So, for $1800, we had two nights out of 6 in one of the restaurants. The next complaint is that the all inclusive had to be booked in consecutive days. We were doing tours every other day so we actually only needed the all inclusive 4 days, but ended up buying 6. On the last day our inclusive was up and that was that, no more food and the town was not close. So, we ended up spending $30 USD on pastries and coffee. So, overall a great place, but beware the all inclusive option and if you want city access, just stay in the city.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank John W