“They just want your Money”

Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I have read quite a number of reviews of the VDP in Cancun and would like to add that quite a few of them are pretty close to what occurs. I am an owner of VDP and booked my first trip to VDP Cancun though the VDP San Diego office. No problems when I booked. I even contacted our timeshare sales person and questioned him about the timeshare, use of facilities, upgrades, etc. I was told that they will upgrade you, give you this and that, etc. etc., all because you are an owner. When I go their, they messed up my two studio units and put us and my friends on different floors and opposite sides of the resort. Asked about putting us together in a two bedroom suite, and as an owner, I should have been upgraded, NO DICE. "We will have to charge you 700.00 more". I argued and asked if they had a house phone so I could call the San Diego corporate office and suddenly the price went to $425.00. I still argued this and my friend said he would pay for the upgrade.

Rooms were nice, but smelled musty because they are never aired out. The heat and humidity, and constant A/C on does wonders for the smell of a room. We were constantly badgered by the front desk to take the "owners tour", which was a disguise for a timeshare presentation. We were even accosted as we were leaving one morning and questioned as to where we were going, when we would be back and why we were not taking the presentation. When I got back I went to the office and told the manager to tell his employees to stop bugging me and the next person that did was not going to like what I had to tell them. They left us alone, but were rude to us when we walked into the lobby.

When we checked out, I was charged for internet service, which all members/owners should not be. I had to fight and argue to have the 5 days of internet use removed from my bill. We hardly spent any time at the resort because of all the tings we were doing. Bottom line is they are going to try and make money off of you, which is why they are in business. But, don't do it to the point that people don't want to come back! I will not come back to this resort again and will continue to go to Loreto where they make you feel like you want to come back.

I will repeat, that the resort is beautiful, the waiters/servers are very nice once you get to know them, but the front office and lobby staff need to be trained on customer service, and learn not to argue with people because they are questioning a charge on their bill.

Oh, and just so you know, all of the rooms have a view of the ocean, so do not let them tell you that for a charge they can upgrade you to an ocean view.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view of the ocean, but if you can book or get a room in the center of the complex...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Don R
Hotel_Administration, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2016

Dear Don R,

Thank you so much for having take the time to write a review on our property. We have implemented a response system where each of the comments will be answered within 48 hours.

We are also providing a special phone number and direct access to our General Manager 24/7 for any guest satisfaction issue. Additionally, we have created a guest relations desk in the lobby of our hotel to attend any issues and transform experiences from negative to positives.

Villa del Palmar Cancun

Write a ReviewReviews (4,268)

Reviewed 4 May 2014

The hotel is beautiful as well as the location. The staff is awesome, so friendly and helpful! You do not pass anyone on the grounds without a greeting. We enjoyed a one bedroom room which was more than enough room for us. Very comfortable room! The bed was as good as home, slept wonderfully. Transportation was easy, every 10 minutes a city bus out front and it cost 7 pesos each. The routes went everywhere. Taxis charge per destination, not timed per minute. Fares were reasonable. We enjoyed the bus rides better because we got to mingle with the locals. Very friendly, respectful and honorable people. Not like here in the USA with greedy self centered unfriendly morons. My wife and I had a wonderful time! We highly recommend this resort!

Room Tip: If only one or two people I recommend the studio, a family of four can be very comfortable in the on...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Jowanna R,

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Don't believe the bad reviews. This place was the best. The resort is so nice and modern. We had the 1 BR suite, and it was amazing. The rooms are very luxurious with granite and full stainless steal appliances. The king size bed was so comfortable. It was nice to have a washer/dryer right in the unit too. We were in room 1503 (5th floor) and the views were awesome. The room was so clean and it came with a stocked refrigerator, which they refilled everyday as needed. (pop, bottled water, beer, candy bars, cookies, chips.) (all inclusive). I have read that the "all inclusive" doesn't include all restaurants and was not really "all inclusive". This is false for us. We used all the amenities and ate at all the restaurants, which were great. I was with my family of 9, we had 4 suites. None of us had not one complaint. We had reservations every night, that I made about a month before our April 20, 2014 arrival, and we had NO problem getting in right away. The service here was top-notch. Please bring lots of $1 bills for tips, they work their butts off to make you happy. No one in our group EVER was harassed about a time-share nor do I ever recall being approached about having a meeting to listen to a presentation. They had night time entertainment, but ended at 9pm. That was great for us, so we could enjoy the company of our group. We also had the opportunity to meet other people at the resort. That was fun too. It is a great distance from the hotel/resort district, which also gave us time to have a relaxing and quiet vacation. The beach was great...and all of us enjoyed the water. Some say the entrance to the water was rocky, that is true, but only for a moment. That water was great. The pools were very warm and there were lots of lounging chairs around. With the 5 pools, we never felt crowded. All in all, great memories where made. I give this resort a 10/10. I swear, don't be worried about your stay here...I have been many places, and this place was on the top. I also felt very safe here. I loved this resort so much, that I hope to go back. The ferry is a walking distance from the resort, and we took this to the island for $4 USD. It was so cool to go over there, something to do and see. I am so happy I over looked the poor reviews, What a great place to go! WOW!

Room Tip: Rooms 5th floor or higher are great, however I think floors 3+ give you a great ocean view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank BWil77

Dear BWil77,

Reviewed 4 May 2014

This was an all-inclusive plan visit, 7 days in April 2014.
Hotel is 4/5 years old. Very well maintained.
Room: We had a 1st floor room in middle block. Our view was of the jungle and resort. No sea view.
Clean - Clean - Clean. Housekeeping staff does a great job. We had a 1 bedroom suite which included kitchenette, dinning room table & Washer/Dryer. Nice to have, Even on vacation it is nice to run your bathing suits through a quick wash and dry, fresh for the next day!
Beds were very comfortable, A/C is very good, we had to turn it down. Internet in Room (10$/day)

Food/Restaurant:
Everything is fantastic. Always something easy to find. The wait staff know the menu very well and make good recommendations. Davinos was our favorite.
For breakfast you can go to Zumas for open air eating (less choices) or Davinos for inside eating (more choice)
The best eating is done at the Bite Bar. I will post a picture. You can order from here at the bar, from around the pool or on the beach. Don't want to get your lazy butt up for lunch or snack, no problem, fajitas on the beach please.

Staff:
The staff here are incredible. Polite, discreet. On the beach or pool, we had someone passing by every 15 minutes.
You go to move or adjust an umbrella and poof, someone rushes over to help you or do it for you.
VDP and Mexico understand hospitality. Treat them well and they will make you feel like royalty.

Beach:
There was no seaweed on the beach, a machine passes every morning to clean it. They was grass constantly and there is rocks when you enter. I would recommend water shoes. The sand could use with filtering, but the beaches are federal land, so I do not know how the liability of it works out.

No matter what time we went to the beach we got 4 chairs together, lots of shelter and if all the shade spots are taken they will bring you umbrellas.

Spa:
Hidden in the middle of the hotel landscape is the SPA. You enter and cannot see or hear the hotel, even though you are outside in the middle of the resort. Such a treat.

Overall:
There was nothing I else I could ask for. We were never even spoken to about timesharing. This hotel set the bar VERY high for choosing our next resort.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lucannus

Dear Lucannus,

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We stayed for 5 nights from April 27-May 2nd.First impression, the property is not located near the hotel zone and is kind of out in no mans land, which was not a big deal for us. It was very expensive however to get to and from the hotel to the airport and downtown. Approx $40 per trip!Check in was fine, but 5 minutes after getting to our room we were being harassed by the timeshare personnel. The room was nice and clean and beautiful with a nice large balcony. The property itself is beautiful as well.. We were on the 2nd floor and enjoyed the view. We attended the timeshare presentation the next morning after arrival and politely declined . After we said no we were treated very poorly. We purchased the all inclusive package and were glad we did as there are no dining options close by. The food was ok. The steak house was not worth the extra $ we had to pay as it was NOT included in the all inclusive package. Only 2 restaurants and the pool food were included . The air conditioning in the restaurants was not working as it was stifling and we couldn't wait to get outside. Davinos was the best dining option for breakfast and dinner and the pool food was good as well. The resort was maybe at 40% capacity so it was very quiet. They could use some music by the pool to maybe liven things up a bit. Felipe at the beach bar was so nice but the beach area itself was very dirty and small, we hung out by the pool which was very clean and warm. . But other than that none of the staff were very memorable. We took the Playa Express to Playa Del Carmen and went to downtown CanCun. Both places were lovely. We also took the ferry to Isla Muerjes and rented the golf cart and toured the island. We had a great time.We felt like because we said no to purchasing the timeshare and kept our "RED" bracelets we were shunned the rest of the trip. Shame on them. We will not be returning or recommending this resort to our friends. Overall we had a nice time.,we were on vacation after all :)

Room Tip: I think all of the rooms are nice no matter the location. We are glad we did not pay to upgrade to a...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Justus4recks

Dear Justus4recks,

Reviewed 2 May 2014

We stayed a week in the middle of March, part of spring break so they were very full. The studio we had was very beautiful and the hammock on the patio with a view facing the pool and beach was very relaxing. Our room was filled with fresh fruit when we arrived and the maids came twice each day. Outside of the fact it was so windy most every day and rained 3 days out of our week, it is beautiful in Cancun. The beach has white sand and lots of lounge chairs even if you got outside later in the day. The water is comfortable, but there are grass "sticks" floating on all the beaches, which surrounds you when you go in the water and washes up on the shore every day. They have beach crews who clean up daily due to this.

Our only "issue" was on Sunday when we decided to stay at the resort for the day and not take an excursion and the resort had a main water line break. We woke up to no running water. Could not flush the toilet or wash our hands. Unfortunately this lasted all day with no water for any of the rooms, restaurants or outdoor poolside toilets. We were told just a "couple of hours" so we stayed put not knowing how serious it was. We did get a jug of water delivered for us to flush our toilet and wash our hands (after we asked), but not to drink. We had our own bottled water to drink. I know the staff worked hard to help everyone during this time, but what they SHOULD have done was maintain the outdoor restrooms by helping flush the toilets so we would have someplace to use during this time. These restrooms were smelly, overflowing and unusable. It was very unsanitary for a day.

After no water for one day, we were offered "free Internet" and free movies for the next 3 days. However, we already had free Internet and the movie channel wouldn't work, plus we were flying home the next day. They took off "one" meal from our bill for compensation, not much for a bad day.

The funniest thing (I can call it funny now that I am home) were the housekeeping "missing" items each day: The Maids played a game of "Find What We Forgot" each day ...
(Now this was frustrating at the time. Their English was only a couple of words and it was hard to communicate with them)

Day 1: We had 2 bath towels, 2 hand towels, and 2 wash cloths.
Day 2: We had 1 less hand towel but a kitchen towel. They left a note for us to check off when we wanted room service and what extra towels we might want. I checked that we wanted 1 "extra" wash cloth.
Day 3: We had "1" wash cloth instead of 3. Hubby called room service to explain what we wanted.
Day 4: We had "2" wash cloths. Kitchen towel appeared one day but not the next.
Day 5: We had "1" wash cloth again! Hubby called room service and reexplained again what we wanted. (These people had good English)
Day 6: We were back to 2 wash cloths but 1 hand towel and a kitchen towel. This day the hotel had a broken water line for 24 hours and one of our wash cloths had to be used with spare water to wash our hands.
Day 7: Today we were missing our bathtub floor bathmat! We stayed indoors due to rain and waved off room service but took all the towels they had in their hands!
Day 8: Flew home to our wonderful cupboard of towels and running water!!

I will say the pools were large and beautiful, and two of the restaurants we ate at had delicious food. The concierge people were very helpful, and everyone was polite and friendly. Chichen Itza is a MUST see and the souvenier shopping was lots of fun. However, due to the isolated distance the hotel is from any shopping and activity, if you don't have a car, and we didn't, getting around is limited to their shuttle times. We probably won't revisit Cancun any time soon and if so, not sure which resort it will be next time.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lavona L

Dear five2nine,

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Saturday:
• Arrived and checked in. Requested a room upgrade. Getting the upgrade took about 30 minutes because our person at the front desk had to keep going into the back to see how to do it.
• Agreed to go on the timeshare presentation since we would receive a discount card that entitled us to 30% off of our upgrade. The concierge verified that we would receive the 30% off of the upgrade for the full week even though we would not be on the tour until Sunday morning.
• Went to put our suitcases in out room. Our room has no room number so we have to guess to see if we have the correct room by walking up and down the hallway since there are a number of room numbers missing. It would have been nice if the front desk had told us this.
• Since the restaurants required reservations and we just arrived, we opted for the buffet.
o Got our food and sat down at a table. No was no one working the tables. I eventually retrieved our own silverware and napkins. Finally a person came by to get our drink orders. When the beer was delivered there was no glass so my wife requested a glass. After 30 minutes she gave up and went to a neighboring bar to get a glass.
o The food was cold. It was then I noticed that there were no sterno’s under the warming dishes.
o Dirty dishes from the people that had left before we arrived were still in the middle of the table by the time we left.
o Got extremely ill that night most likely from the food being left out cold.
Sunday:
• One sink in the bathroom dripped all night. Another sink had hardly any water coming out of it. Reported this in the morning to the front desk.
• Went on the time share presentation. The ninety minute presentation ran for three hours.
• That evening the water issues had not been fixed. We also had one television remote that did not work. Note that you cannot take out the batteries and reinsert them into the remote since the battery cover has been screwed in. Reported the remote for the first time and the water issues for the second time.
• The maid service left us a note asking when we would like maid service. The only problem is it does not say what to do with the note. It turns out that the front desk is supposed to ask you this when you check in.
Monday:
• Reported the water issues for the third time and the remote for the second time. Also reported that the internet was extremely slow.
• Sometime during the day the water issue and the remote were fixed (see Wednesday). The internet was not addressed.
Tuesday:
• We were hanging at the adult only pool. There were children playing in the pool. Note that there are no lifeguards at the adult only pool. Reported this to three workers. Nothing happened.
• My wife asked at the front desk if any locals came in and sold their crafts. She was told that we are at a five star resort and that is not allowed (see Wednesday)
Wednesday:
• The faucet is dripping all night again and the remote is broken again.
• The door to our unit was left open by the maid since it closed slowly and you have to be sure it is closed.
• We went down to dinner and noticed that the locals were in fact selling their crafts but we hit it when they were closing up because we were told that this does not happen at this resort.
Thursday:
• Asked for a preliminary copy of my bill. There was a discount on the room upgrade but not the 30%. Each person I spoke to at the front desk said the discount was 30% without even knowing what we paid for the upgrade. I asked for a manager and reviewed the above items.
• The manager came to our room to supervise the problems.
o Faucet Dripping:
 Faucet taken apart and parts replaced. Worked.
o Remote:
 One of the workers slammed the remote in his hand. Working now.
o Internet:
 Modem rebooted after I showed the poor response on a speed test. Worked.
o Adjustment to front door to make it close correctly:
 Promise to have fixed (never happened)
o 30% upgrade discount
 At first the manager told us that the discount card did not entitle us to the discount. After we showed him the paperwork with the discount card he then said the tax is not discounted (it is a percentage tax). After further discussions he agreed to fix our bill that night for the correct 30% discount (see Friday).
• At the towel booth there were individuals promoting a bus that takes you to various bars in town. As my wife is looking at this she is told by the individual promoting the tour that she would not be interested in it. This is before my wife has even said anything.

Friday:
• Went to have breakfast. When my wife poured syrup onto her French toast about thirty ants were swimming in the syrup on her plate. She showed the waiter who went with her to the manager. The manager never went to check the food to look for the problem. Instead the manager kept seating people and allowing people to use the syrup. We walked out and went to a different restaurant.
• Back to the front desk to make sure we were only billed for one breakfast. I ask for another preliminary copy of my bill. Now I have no discount at all, let alone 30%. I am also billed for a phone call that the manager made from my hotel room. So much for fixing the bill last night.
o 30% Discount
 In showing the bill that I received on Thursday and the incorrect discount on that bill, the manager behind the front desk proceeded to tell me that I received the correct discount on the first bill and it was 30% percent. I told him that the amount did not calculate to 30% of anything on the bill. Then I am told to calculate it for them. The original discount is put back on the bill and an additional adjustment to get it right.
o Phone Call
 The phone call is removed from the bill.
• I now want a manager to go over all of the issues I have had and make an adjustment to out bill, especially for getting me sick on Saturday night. I am told to be in my room at 3:00 and the manager will come by or call. By 4:00 I have had no call or visit. Went down to the front desk and waited 30 minutes in line. They do not know why I was told to be at my room at 3:00. They are still working on the case and I have been promised to have an email response by the time we leave tomorrow morning.

Conclusion - $200 was taken off of my bill. The facilities are nice but the management is out of control.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

#1 of 7 in Playa Mujeres
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
Dreams Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
Grand Fiesta Americana Coral Beach Cancun

Been to Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!