“Nice resort, some room for improvement”

Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Reviewed 5 May 2014

First off, this is a nice, family friendly resort. It looks just like the images online and is very well maintained. I read some reviews and was concerned about the quality of food and time share pressure. Didn't need to worry about either. I am a fairly picky person and I could always find something good to eat. Yes, the breakfast and lunches got a bit boring as your options are limited, but really, how much variety can there possibly be?? They had something for everyone. Dinners were very good, they had lots of selection and every restaurant was a different theme. I read reviews stating that they had a hard time getting reservations even though the restaurants were half full. We booked reservations through the website about a week before going, we confirmed when we got there and it was all good. One night went changed restaurants last minute and had no issue getting in at a different restaurant. But I did hear people complaining about not getting in so it must be true, we just never experienced it. The time share stuff was no big deal. Yes, when you check in they direct you to the concierge that has been "assigned" to you, and they ask for you to meet with them right away. Because we had the baby my husband met with her about an hr later. Yes, they'll try to get you to have "breakfast" with them and get discounts for trips and such, but my husband just said no thanks and that was that. We went to the lobby and she saw us and came up and asked again at one point, but we just politely said no thanks again, as we had no interest in trips with the baby and she never bothered us again. Wasn't a big deal at all. I did see a lot of people being paraded around with reps though, so I guess they all agreed to it. The property was always being looked after. The gardens were very well maintained and someone was always organizing lounge chairs and picking up garbage that dumb people would just leave lying around. There are a number of pools, some adult only and one kiddie pool. My son is 8mths old and loved the kiddie pool, which is heated more than the others so it was like a giant bath to him! All of the staff was friendly and loved my son, everywhere we went they went out of their way to say "hola baby!" And make him smile.
The Glitches:
For whatever reason this resort is always noisy, not like normal noise you would expect from a hotel, but above and beyond. Always construction noise from one side or another, carts are ridiculously loud in the hallways, and the soundproofing is TERRIBLE between rooms (both side by side and from above). We had some nut that decided to wear high heels CONSTANTLY in the room above us, from 6am until after 10 pm....who gets up at 6am and puts heels on??! Our son was always woken up every morning at 6am thanks to that dummy. The nice marble floors that you see? Yes, they look pretty, but wait until the people above you start rearranging furniture all day on them...the sound would wake the dead. Very poor soundproofing to say the least. To the point that I wouldn't go back unless I could get a top floor. It was that annoying.
We were in building 2 on the 4th floor. I would suggest building 2 is your best bet. I can't remember which side was 1 and which side was 3, but one of them backed onto a construction site and the other was right next to the road to the ferry....even in building 2 we could always hear the trucks from the ferry using their breaks and rumbling along, it was pretty loud where we were so I can only imagine how loud it was for those the building next to it.
Bottled water. If you are all inclusive your fridge is restocked daily with 4 small bottles of water and snacks. It was a bit of a pain to get extra water for my sons formula, we had to call everyday for it to be restocked with extra. Getting bottled water at the restaurants and bars was a pain most of the time as well, not sure if they tell staff not to give out bottled water or what but a lot of the time they would say they didn't have any bottled water and would only offer a poured glass.
One night the Davino restaurant was closed with no notice, we had a reservation and on our way over the path was blocked, no notice posted or anything, they could have at least let those with a reservation know that it wasn't open. We went over to Zama and got in no problem.
The housekeeping staff threw out my bottle sterilizing bags. They were left on the counter in the kitchen right next to the bottle I had drying and they are clearly not garbage, they are fully marked and thick plastic bags, but for whatever reason they tossed both of them. Again,a minor inconvenience but I had to boil water on the stove in a giant pot and sterilize everything that way everyday instead of a simple microwave bag.
Check out is at noon, because of the baby we asked if we could keep the room an extra hour (check in for the next guests is at 4pm). Our shuttle was set to leave at 1:55pm so an extra hr is all we were asking so my son could get in a short nap before we left. They said the room was booked for the next guests and if we wanted to check out late we would be charged $50+.i can understand an extra charge, but over 50 bucks for an hr?? Seemed a bit crazy to me.

Overall we had a good time, there were a few things that would make me hesitant to go back, but all in all it was an ok trip. Definitely don't let the small stuff ruin your vacation.

Room Tip: Anything above the 3rd floor has a good view. Building 2 is probably the "quietest" of th...
1  Thank melis2901
Hotel_Administration, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2016

Dear melis2901,

Thank you so much for having take the time to write a review on our property. We have implemented a response system where each of the comments will be answered within 48 hours.

We are also providing a special phone number and direct access to our General Manager 24/7 for any guest satisfaction issue. Additionally, we have created a guest relations desk in the lobby of our hotel to attend any issues and transform experiences from negative to positives.

Villa del Palmar Cancun

Write a ReviewReviews (4,205)

Reviewed 5 May 2014

WE stayed here on a special rate for 5 nights. Because of that and that we were not owners we got room 2225. This was facing away from the water and not any kind of view to wake up to, right above the entrance. It was quiet at night though. Upgrades were $70 a night. Ugh
The room was fairly clean, the bathtub was made of pieced material and had a few areas with cracks that I was not going to chance taking a bath. The pillows were way to small and soft. There were plenty of places to sit at the adult pool was pretty quiet. There are 4 water areas. The two little ones back by the Bella restraunt were nice for dipping in to when you're just needing cooled off or the hot tub was attached to that one. Behind the Bella is a kiddy pool and it was pretty quiet. The food was pretty good. Loved having fresh fruit cut up all the time. Genesis was our Waitress most nights and we were very pleased with her beautiful smile and happy spirit and service. THe MArgaritas were bad so we had to go to Strawberry daquaries. No Diet Coke it was all Coke Light or Pepsi light. Too sweet. The tea was pretty good. THe service at the pool was ok, too busy to be extra attentive.

Room Tip: 2225 had no good view. It was right above the entrance so you looke out at the little shops and peo...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Penny B

Dear Penny B,

Reviewed 5 May 2014

This was our second visit to VDP, and what I enjoyed most this time was the quality of the food, and the service. Eating at Davino's we had the same waiter 3 nights: Jose Luis Hernandez Fernandez. He was so friendly and attentive. He was even our waiter for our "romantic dinner" on the beach, and brought us extras, made suggestions, and was just there for anything we wanted. Given that this was on an all-inclusive package and no gratuity was "required" I thought his service was really outstanding. We did extend an extra gratuity each time for his great service. We also thought our check in and check out by Chantal at the front desk was so pleasant and helpful. She was very focused on listening to what we needed, and made the experience very personal and unhurried. Nothing about her interaction with us seemed "canned" or disconnected. It felt like a friend, wanting to make sure our every wish was met, and doing her best to create that experience for us. Overall, we had a lovely time.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean, but some will have a better view. The higher floors will have better view...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Debbie G,

Reviewed 5 May 2014

“Nice Place..Room for improvement”

We stayed for 5 nights from April 27-May 2nd.First impression, the property is not located near the hotel zone and is kind of out in no mans land, which was not a big deal for us. It was very expensive however to get to and from the hotel to the airport and downtown. Approx $40 per trip!Check in was fine, but 5 minutes...

Room Tip: Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach Cancun Resort & Spa

Dear sabuerohannah,

Reviewed 4 May 2014

The hotel was beautiful and the rooms are very nice, but we arrived at the hotel to discover our travel package was not what we paid for, was missing the all-inclusive option, as well as the room types we requested. It took us 4 hours of standing at the front desk to have this fixed. During this time the front desk manager was not helpful in the least and told us he would have to cancel our reservations and charge us an additional $105 USD per night equaling $2940 for the week. Luckily, Expedia was able to investigate and work the arrangements out with the hotel. The manager was rude, and ignored us for the remainder of our stay there. Once we were fully checked it was very late and we went to our rooms and slept until the next day (9 hours of travelling with no meals and 4 hours dealing with check-in and we still weren’t offered food or drinks - besides that everything was closed except for room service with the average wait time of an additional 40 minutes).

The concierge Jezebel was very insistent and asked us about a dozen times to book the 90 minute timeshare presentation. This was suppose to be a relaxed presentation over breakfast; however, this was not the case. Once we finished our breakfast the sales guy asked us to tip the server at the buffet (when they tell you gratuities are included don't believe a word of it, tips are expected for everything). We were given a tour of the Elite section of the hotel and told that 60% of their revenue comes from the timeshares and that is where they focus their attention. As someone who went there for a relaxing all-inclusive vacation this was not reassuring and as the days progressed it was obvious. Not to mention, the sales staff are very pushy and do not take no for an answer. No seems to mean offer something different and change the price point but keep persisting. 90 minutes turned into 2 and a half hours of us saying no followed by meeting yet another person offering yet another timeshare option.

Our maid Janette was excellent and we were very pleased with our room; however, our daughters were in another room with a different maid and she did a minimal amount of cleaning even after being tipped. Their mini fridge was not stocked daily and at one point in the week the floors appeared to be mopped with something greasy which left a slippery film on the floor for the remainder of the week. Also their room was down the hall from ours and it always smelled of sewage in that area.

The restaurants required reservations 24 hours in advance and our favorites were the Mediterranean and Japanese (the food and service were excellent). The steakhouse was ok, but nothing special, although the white house wine was very good. The drinks at all the bars are very light on the alcohol unless asked for strong, and then you may or may not get a stronger drink. All activities also shut down early - in fact by 9:30 there is nothing going on and all is quiet. The pools are great (no swim up bars here). There was an outdoor market that set up by the pools and the prices are very inflated. EG: I bought a necklace that started off at 1300 pesos and after haggling I bought the piece for about ¼ of that. Also keep in mind that the exchange rates very from 10 to 15% on the $ depending on who you purchase from.

Also, the beach is not clean and there is a lot of seaweed in the water and on the beach as well as plastic bottles, etc.

Our excursions were the highlight of our trip. The ferry is next to the resort where you can go to Isla Mujeres for the day. Rent mopeds and sightsee! We rented 3 mopeds and this was actually less expensive than one golf cart. We also very much enjoyed the Xenotes excursion zip-lining, rappelling, kayaking, etc. Karla was our tour guide and she was very knowledgeable about the cenotes and presented the information in a fun and interesting way. Peter came along on the tour and photographed everything. The pictures he took were worth the money they cost and we are so pleased to have them on the memory stick!

5  Thank 2014Williams_Family

Dear 2014Williams_Family,

Reviewed 4 May 2014

I have read quite a number of reviews of the VDP in Cancun and would like to add that quite a few of them are pretty close to what occurs. I am an owner of VDP and booked my first trip to VDP Cancun though the VDP San Diego office. No problems when I booked. I even contacted our timeshare sales person and questioned him about the timeshare, use of facilities, upgrades, etc. I was told that they will upgrade you, give you this and that, etc. etc., all because you are an owner. When I go their, they messed up my two studio units and put us and my friends on different floors and opposite sides of the resort. Asked about putting us together in a two bedroom suite, and as an owner, I should have been upgraded, NO DICE. "We will have to charge you 700.00 more". I argued and asked if they had a house phone so I could call the San Diego corporate office and suddenly the price went to $425.00. I still argued this and my friend said he would pay for the upgrade.

Rooms were nice, but smelled musty because they are never aired out. The heat and humidity, and constant A/C on does wonders for the smell of a room. We were constantly badgered by the front desk to take the "owners tour", which was a disguise for a timeshare presentation. We were even accosted as we were leaving one morning and questioned as to where we were going, when we would be back and why we were not taking the presentation. When I got back I went to the office and told the manager to tell his employees to stop bugging me and the next person that did was not going to like what I had to tell them. They left us alone, but were rude to us when we walked into the lobby.

When we checked out, I was charged for internet service, which all members/owners should not be. I had to fight and argue to have the 5 days of internet use removed from my bill. We hardly spent any time at the resort because of all the tings we were doing. Bottom line is they are going to try and make money off of you, which is why they are in business. But, don't do it to the point that people don't want to come back! I will not come back to this resort again and will continue to go to Loreto where they make you feel like you want to come back.

I will repeat, that the resort is beautiful, the waiters/servers are very nice once you get to know them, but the front office and lobby staff need to be trained on customer service, and learn not to argue with people because they are questioning a charge on their bill.

Oh, and just so you know, all of the rooms have a view of the ocean, so do not let them tell you that for a charge they can upgrade you to an ocean view.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view of the ocean, but if you can book or get a room in the center of the complex...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Don R
Hotel_Administration, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2016

Dear Don R,

Reviewed 4 May 2014

The hotel is beautiful as well as the location. The staff is awesome, so friendly and helpful! You do not pass anyone on the grounds without a greeting. We enjoyed a one bedroom room which was more than enough room for us. Very comfortable room! The bed was as good as home, slept wonderfully. Transportation was easy, every 10 minutes a city bus out front and it cost 7 pesos each. The routes went everywhere. Taxis charge per destination, not timed per minute. Fares were reasonable. We enjoyed the bus rides better because we got to mingle with the locals. Very friendly, respectful and honorable people. Not like here in the USA with greedy self centered unfriendly morons. My wife and I had a wonderful time! We highly recommend this resort!

Room Tip: If only one or two people I recommend the studio, a family of four can be very comfortable in the on...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

#1 of 7 in Playa Mujeres
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
Dreams Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
Grand Fiesta Americana Coral Beach Cancun

Been to Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!