“Remember where you are!”

Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Maine
“Remember where you are!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

Very nice...for Mexico.
Important message -> SPRING BREAKERS, THIS IS NOT THE RESORT FOR YOU! Consider this your warning, you will have a very boring, disappointing vacation! This is a quiet, family-friendly, honeymooner, etc resort that expects quiet by 9:30pm and is quite far from the hotel zone. Now don't say no one told you! This place is all about relaxation! (and Elite members).
Have a plan for transportation before arriving in Cancun, I cannot stress "make sure you have a voucher," enough if you have prepaid for transportation! Paid $100 in transportation round trip through hotel only to have them forget to process and send vouchers (they only sent receipt saying it would be sufficient). The airport is chaotic, so have a plan and GO!
Plan to be welcomed upon entering the resort, however don't expect what you usually would from any other vacation resort. The front desk overall had the least favorable customer service...somewhat rude, actually. They did credit our transportation fee however did not go the extra mile to make it right...as you might expect such a lush place to do. We requested two queen beds upon making our reservation and arrived to the resort to have a king bed booked. Front desk person had to "work very hard" to find two queens...seemingly irritated. While I love my friend, we were on vaca and our own beds were a must...so call, call and call again and maybe again if you need reassurance on something.
The resort overall is gorgeous and very clean - you notice the pride taken as they are constantly working on the grounds.
We tried each restaurant (we did 4 days all-inclusive...)remember you don't have to have it everyday!) -> Hiroshi and Da Vino were the favorites for us. The food is overall very good (for Mexico).
We at lunch poolside daily. Decent pizza and quesadillas, chips, salsa, guacamole. Takes a while to receive your food and drinks however.
I honestly did not notice a difference in service from us adding additional tip and not. Overall the service is just bizarre and different and there is no real way to justify why. So tip additionally if you feel it just and plan to sign for everything, I mean everything.
The little market in the resort does not like American money - they accept it but don't convert exact and seem annoyed with it.
We visited the island one day...please spend the extra money and take the blue/yellow 15 minute ferry. We heard the locals even stay away from the one that is a stone throw away from the resort, not to mention it takes about 45 minutes (which is enough to make me sea sick).
I definitely think we visited at a great time (early May), as we did not have any issues with finding chairs by the pool or at the beach. We mostly stayed by the Main pool, however the Elite pool is beautiful and totally exclusive but never used. Too bad. There were a couple of days where they reserved some chairs for Elite members by the Main pool...overheard a few guests bickering over this...It didn't keep us from using the chairs, no Elite members were!
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE visit the Spa. By far the BEST massage I have EVER had. I was a little hesitant to have one by the beach but we went midmorning and it was breezy and quiet, private and amazing. Ask for Auri, I loved her. I had a facial as well by a different person and it was just so so, wouldn't do it again. I wish I could remember the attendant at the Spa, he was by far the friendliest, most helpful, genuine person. Name might have begun with an R.
Overall, I would absolutely return to this resort if I returned to Cancun. We always felt safe and definitely had a relaxing stay. Neither of us were sick once from food or drink. (we brushed our teeth with bottled water as well).
HAPPY VACATIONING!

Room Tip: Whatever your request, ask the front desk but don't expect to be accommodated. We wanted a room...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Hotel_Administration, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 25 July 2016
Dear OldBlt,

Thank you so much for having take the time to write a review on our property. We have implemented a response system where each of the comments will be answered within 48 hours.

We are also providing a special phone number and direct access to our General Manager 24/7 for any guest satisfaction issue. Additionally, we have created a guest relations desk in the lobby of our hotel to attend any issues and transform experiences from negative to positives.

Villa del Palmar Cancun

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,464)
Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

when you asked for anything that is slightly different of what they are used to you willl receive an absolute no way for an answer. this happened not once, not twice, many times!!! nice hotel but staff is the worst.

3 Thank dcolunga
Dear dcolunga,

Pinehurst, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

I returned recently from spending 5 days at the Villa Del Palmar resort. About two weeks prior to our vacation, I received a phone call from a personal concierge for the resort named Yadira. She was there to assist with dinner reservations, provide activities schedules to my e-mail, and offer transportation services to and from the airport. We ended up deciding to take the transportation they offered--100 dollars round trip to and from the airport. We were promised that someone would be there with my name displayed on a sign as soon as we arrived and we would have private transportation to the resort. If you've ever been to the Cancun airport you know what COMPLETE CHAOS it is when you exit those doors. Mobs and mobs of taxi companies trying to get you to choose them. After searching for almost 30 minutes, it appeared that no one had come to pick us up. Yadira had failed to send me whatever vouchers we may have needed to get our transportation, but regardless of that, my name was not there on any sign or list held by the drivers. So we ended up having to pay out of pocket an additional 90 dollars for a taxi to bring us to the resort. By that point, we had no other choice because without vouchers, they had no proof we had already paid for the services. We also tried calling the resort during all of that without any luck. No one seemed to know what we were talking about.
So TIP#1: DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT PRE-PAY FOR TRANSPORTATION THROUGH THE HOTEL.

We arrived at the resort to check-in. The front desk staff was rude, disinterested, and less than helpful. I was traveling with a friend for a girls' trip, and we had booked months in advance for a ocean view room with two queen beds. I had even called back a few times prior to the trip to confirm our room details to avoid any problems when we got there. As we were checking in, we were put in a room with a king size bed. I explained that we had specified the two queens months ago, and was told many times that the hotel was not busy at this time of year and it wouldn't be a problem at all. With many eye rolls from the desk clerk, he was finally able to find us a room with two queen beds. I was already annoyed with the transportation and tried to explain to him what had happened and he didn't seem to have any idea what I was talking about either.

Our room was nice. I think all of the rooms are the same unless you have a larger suite. It was clean, balcony was good sized and the view of the resort was pretty. I will say that I have ZERO complaints on the design and cleanliness of the facilities. It was absolutely beautiful and very clean and for those reasons alone, I would stay here again.

I have traveled to Mexico many times and each time I was so impressed by how friendly and fun the staff seem to be. They always want to make sure you're having fun and have what you need. I still remember names of staff from vacations I took years and years ago because their hospitality made an impression on me. This resort was VERY different. I did not get the warm and fuzzy vibe from the majority of the staff. It almost seemed as though they know who the "Elite Members" are, and if you are not one, then they really could care less about giving you great service. I'm not picky, this wasn't a deal breaker but it was a little disappointing considering the experiences I've had in the past. Most of the staff here didn't really care to give you the time of day. Poolside service is convenient but slow. We had a young server who was our favorite that week. Also different from any other all inclusives--you have to sign off on EVERYTHING that you drink or eat. Even a bottle of water. It kind of gets old because you may want to get up and switch beach chairs or pool locations, but you can't leave your spot until your butler has gotten you your slip and you've signed it. Sometimes it takes 20 minutes for them to get back with it. So that was irritating and I don't really understand the purpose of signing a piece of paper when I am wearing an all inclusive bracelet. It made me very paranoid all week about getting charged for things I shouldn't be charged for.

The spa was WONDERFUL. If you are interested in getting any spa treatments on your trip, I would recommend going. I loved the atmosphere as it was partially outdoor but covered with palm tree shade...very serene. My friend and I both booked a 50 minute beachside massage and LOVED it. It was by far the best massage I have ever gotten. My massage therapist was Agustina and my friend had Yuri. I would highly recommend either of the two, as my friend was very satisfied also. If you can, book it in the beach side cabana earlier in the day. SO relaxing. I also had a facial done (also by Agustina) and loved that as well. Our spa attendant was VERY nice and attentive and made sure we always had what we needed and we were comfortable. I want to say his name was Ricardo but I don't remember (sorry!)

The food was good. We dined at each one of the different restaurants located on the resort. La Casona is the steakhouse and we both had decent meals and the portions were huge. Da Vino is the Greek/Italian and I loved that one. Had a chicken dish that was great and if you want dessert try the baklava! Our waiter there was WONDERFUL. Very friendly and outgoing and that was a huge breath of fresh air compared to many of the other staff. Hiroshi was really good as well. Probably our favorite meal. Zama was the Mexican restaurant and was probably our least favorite place. Not bad, but not as good as the others! There was also the poolside grill which we ended up getting lunch from most days. Can't go wrong w/ the chips & salsa! Breakfast was served at Da Vino and Zama. Da Vino is DEFINITELY the place to get breakfast. We tried Zama once just to see and it's really not worth it so just head straight to Da Vino.

Entertainment ends around 9:30 every night which is nice if you're there for a mellow trip. It is NOT THE RESORT FOR YOU if you want to party like a rockstar. It's further out from downtown so would want to be closer if that's what you had planned for this trip. In our sake we wanted the atmosphere that this hotel offered so it was really relaxing and perfect for us. The bars stay open until 1 I believe so you can of course stay out for drinks, but the entertainment shows end early.

A lot of people ask about the beach and while it is fine to sit in a beach chair and lounge, it's not a great beach for swimming. Lots of seaweed and murky water. I don't swim in the ocean anyway so this didn't matter to me, but it may be a deal breaker for some people. So if you're looking for a great beach, this resort is not the place.

While this post highlights their negatives, I was only being as detailed as I could for others planning a trip. I WOULD STAY HERE AGAIN. Despite the cons, the resort was gorgeous and quiet which is ultimately what I was looking for in my vacation.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Jamie P
Dear Jaime P,

Buffalo, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

The ride from the Airport is a bit .. long (scary). We booked through cheapcarribian.com and they were wonderful. Transportation was efficient and the staff was friendly.

Upon arrival at the Villa del Palmer we were greeted with tropical beverages and smiles. We had been traveling all day and just wanted to sit down and eat .. which we did. I could not understand why the "concierge" did not want the bellman to take care of getting our luggage to our room while we ate. I later discovered it is because the "concierge" was really a sales person rather than an employee dedicated to helping guests.

The rooms are beautiful, the pools are lovely and fun and not over crowded. The beach is very nice. The infinity pool has signs around it restricting it to "elite guests" - which we ignored. It was a bit off putting. If you have the misfortune to take the time-share tour, you will understand what they mean by delete members.

We were initially very impressed by the property. In fact, unlike countless other trips where we were offered time share tours, we decided to give this want to try. They promised to hours maximum and when our salesperson began the tour he indicated one hour, at most 90 min. we reminded him that our children were in the kids club and we had a limited time. He began the tour, taking Us on the property and then showing us the "elite" suite. In the middle of the tour, we had to stop the pickup our children as kids club closed down for the lunch hour. We were very impressed with the various rooms and especially with the elite suite.When we sat down to talk price is when things became dramatically uncomfortable. The 90 min. tour extended for over 3 hours and when I told them that my children needed to eat lunch they kept pushing for a deal. Finally, they let my wife and children leave and asked me to take 5 min. and complete a review of the tour. Little that I know that this was one final sales pitch. Unfortunately, I could not leave as they would not let me purchase the excursion tickets unless I completed the time-share pitch. This left me dealing with them for another 45 min., not as a quality review but as a final additional sales pitch. When I finally escaped the time-share hell I had to stand in line for another hour to purchase the excursion tickets at a reduced price. Unfortunately, that experience diminished the otherwise near-perfect resort.

As our stay continued, I noticed that the service was either excellent or nonexistent. Some of the staff bent over backwards to take care of us, others could not be bothered. The one thing that very much bothered me at this "all-inclusive resort" was the constant obligation to tip if you wanted actual service. We generally tip very well and I can honestly say we went through several hundred dollars in singles during the week. While I believe that excellent service should be recognized, I also firmly believed that nonexistent service should not be rewarded. Unfortunately, the attitude we encountered with some of the staff left a lot to be desired.

The one thing that bothered me with regard to the grounds, until I figured a way around it, was the fact that everybody would simply put towels on chairs around the pool to reserve them all day while never sitting in them. I figured, if you can't beat them, join them. Consequently, when I woke up early I would walk down to the pool and placed towels on chairs and a prime area. I am not a fan of this type of thing but figured I wanted seats near were my kids would be playing in the pool.

I must say that the food was excellent. The sushi restaurant and the steakhouse were both first class. The Mediterranean restaurant was excellent and the every day/centrally located breakfast or lunch place was adequate. One suggestion is that if they have people taking orders for fresh made months, make sure the people understand what is being ordered. Out of 6 orders for an egg white, on consecutive days, I can safely say that they got the order correct once.I do realize that we were in Mexico, but if you're going to targets American visitors make sure the person taking the food order can understand English.

All said, we would consider returning but will probably shop around for a property closer to the airport and less tip driven.

Room Tip: They will charge you more for a high floor room. It is not really necessary.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear James M,

Springfield, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

We spent the middle two weeks of April at Villa Del Palmar. I could not ask for more. Although it was just my husband and I, I could not help but notice what a family friendly resort this is. We will have to take the grandkids, they will love it. From check in with Leisey to check out we have no complaints about the service or the resort. Victor who is on the entertainment staff made our experience even more memorable with his morning Yoga and Pilates classes down by the beach. He loves what he does and it shows. He made sure we knew about all the activities at the resort and participated if we chose to. Also Eric on the entertainment staff was quite entertaining. We did not go all inclusive as we are time share owners. It is very easy to get to Wal-Mart by taxi or take the free shuttle to a store that has everything Wal-Mart has. The easy access to the ferry for the trip to Isla Mujeres is just a bonus. The only thing I would say is the drinks are expensive, not very strong and small. We just bought a bottle of rum and some mix and made our own. Easy fix! Cannot wait to go back! We were on the 8th floor and the view was awesome.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have beautiful views of the ocean.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 58Kim19
Hotel_Administration, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 26 July 2016
Dear 58Kim19,

Chanhassen, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

The only thing I did not like about the hotel was it's location. It is away from the hustle and bustle of the hotel zone - which could be a plus to people looking for a quiet place - but there is pretty much nothing to do if you want to step out of the hotel. Downtown is about a 20 minute ride away and you can either take the free hotel shuttle if you want to save money or take a cab if you want the flexibility.
The other thing I want to warn about is that not all of their "ocean view" rooms offer a view of the ocean. We got one of those, complained about it and got a real ocean view room the next morning.
Apart from that our vacation was really enjoyable with excellent room quality, cleanliness, choice of food and prompt service.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear whydoineedascreennam,

Simi Valley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Better than expected. Traveled over Easter weekend with family with 2 teenagers. we had the One bedroom suite which was perfect. 2 bathrooms! very nice floorplan. Resort is big but not too big. The beach is just beyond the five pools. Bar on the beach was great. Service was impeccable. good drinks on the All-Inclusive plan. We tried each restaurant and had a good meal at each. Our favorite breakfast was at Zama. The buffet even had a little something for everyone. Had massages for me and husband. I had the Orchid wrap. My skin was never softer. Excellent staff. Great resort for families of all ages. Nightly entertainment was family oriented and fun for all ages.

Room Tip: Its U shaped which basically gives every room a great view. We were given a room on the 3rd floor...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Le Blanc Spa Resort
Le Blanc Spa Resort
#1 of 181 in Cancun
5.0 of 5 bubbles 5,642 reviews

Been to Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!