“Relaxation At It's Best”

Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Commerce City, Colorado
“Relaxation At It's Best”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We bought our timeshare in Cabo San Lucas a few years ago. The is the first time we've used the property in Cancun. Between Cabo and Puerto Vallarta, this was by far the best. The resort is located on a section of the beach away from the "Hotel Zone." This is a great place for family and friends to unwind and relax. We didn't go to the pool area until after 10:00am.....and you could still find loungers by the pool and the beach. I would definitely venture into town where you will find more authentic Mexican food and at better prices.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Orlando H
Hotel_Administration, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 25 July 2016
Dear Orlando H,

Thank you so much for having take the time to write a review on our property. We have implemented a response system where each of the comments will be answered within 48 hours.

We are also providing a special phone number and direct access to our General Manager 24/7 for any guest satisfaction issue. Additionally, we have created a guest relations desk in the lobby of our hotel to attend any issues and transform experiences from negative to positives.

Villa del Palmar Cancun

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,503)
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We have a timeshare at the Villa resorts in Cabo San Lucas, and decided to visit one of the other Villa properties in Cancun. The resort is very nice, it feels very luxurious and the staff are very friendly. Our room was wonderful, on the 8th floor facing south (toward the hotel zone) The furniture is comfortable and there is a full kitchen in the 1 and 2 bedroom units. We loved the activity staff especially Victor Edu Sababia our strength/yoga/pilates guru and Aida Itzel our energetic, super friendly dance instructor who made every activity fun! The member concierge staff were very helpful including Lulu, Rafeal and Denise (and many others whose names I sadly can't remember)

A few observations/warnings. The resort is approximately 30 minutes from the Hotel Zone (i.e. bars, clubs, other restaurants etc) There are free shuttles to several areas but they only run 1 or 2 times per day. The resort is much more relaxing than others in the hotel zone, but can feel a bit isolated. Also a trip to the grocery store to stock your kitchen is a bit tricky. There is a small market on site, but selection is limited and predictably more expensive than a grocery store. The resort is right next to the ferry to Isla Mujeres which is very convenient. The beach is nice and the cabanas are great. the wait staff on the beach are very nice and attentive (Thanks Merly!) but there is quite a bit of seaweed and rocks on the bottom of the swimming area. Also no waves to body surf while we were there (Maybe because of the island off the shore?) I had an problem with the Travel agency which is not owned by the resort but contracts with it. They would show one type of excursion but if you tried to book the discounted tour offered by the resort the travel agency would switch it to a different (i.e. not as nice) company/tour, or offer the one they showed you without a discount. The Manager Arlene was fairly rude to me and unhelpful when I tried to address this with her. Although the concierge desk tried to intervene on my behalf, unsuccessfully, I ended up booking my tour outside of the facility. ( I recommend that if you know what you want to do you can find and book many of the excursions online much cheaper!)

All in all a great week, very relaxing, with a few minor glitches. The all inclusive option is convenient but expensive. We ate breakfast and lunch in our room most days, and dinner in the resort restaurants and saved about $2500 (for our family of 6) thats a lot of drinks at the bar!
A good family or couple spot if you aren't looking for the CanCun nightlife scene.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor closer to the water. The north side is cooler during the day and offers a vi...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Jeff K
Dear Jeff K,

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

We recently went to Cancun for a leisure trip and stayed here. Very clean, hotel that is away from the hubbub of the hotel zone.
What I liked: view from the 5th floor, the multitude of pools, kitchenette with microwave, jacuzzis, spa and beach that has complimentary activities like snorkeling, paddle boarding and kayaking. Also had a store nearby where we could buy bottled water, ice creams and other small stuff. Beautiful overall.

What I did not like: food was average, travel agency people sucked, too far from town and cold jacuzzis.

Overall most of the things I did not like were inconveniences that were either minor or solved by escalating to the reception staff that is very helpful . I'd recommend staying here as the pros outweighed the cons.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ishijay
Dear ishijay,

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

So I was not happy that I got stuck with Villas Del Palmar in Cancun as I deposited my Marriott week with Interval International and I really wanted another resort that I was recommended. Anyhow I took this resort but I was at ease as I started reading the reviews and they were pretty good, well I must say from the moment I check in in June 5th 2014 we were transported into a Mexican Mayan atmosphere paradise, the location in my opinion is perfect because is not in the Vegas style Hotel zone instead is just north of that in a family oriented atmosphere, front beach and my room views were stunning because no only do you see the beach you see the pools, the restaurants, the pool bars and isla Mujeres. The lobby is beautiful and inviting, while checking in I was given a on the house pina colada drink, singers at the lobby doing their thing, free ballet parking. I had a one bedroom villa that was stunning beautiful and clean, and the quality of the furniture was unreal. The landscaping of the resort was heavenly the Zama restaurant was awesome , the service and food was 5 stars, and then when I thought it could not get better we had dinner at La Casona Restaurant, I had New York steak and it was simply the best steak I ever had and my wife loved the Salmon, and my teen age girls loved the chicken platter they had. To wrapped things up the nightly activities the resort has is priceless , from dancing competition shows to the Michael Jackson show one night to the vendors coming at night selling Mexican theme souvenirs and goods, well I can go on and on about this resort, but if two things stands out about this piece of heaven is the friendliness of the staff and the beauty of the resort. I pray I can someday come back soon.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank TonyJan29
Dear TonyJan29,

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This was our first time to Cancun and we picked the best Resort possibly! The room, suite rather, was beautiful with amazing views of the ocean and the lush grounds. The pools are large and there is one for every taste but we enjoyed the ocean and the white sand so much that we hardly ever used the pools. The loungers on the beach were so cozy and comfortable that we never went back to any other options.
Overall a great experience, very nice staff (especially Merly Rubi, our beach waitress) and excellent food.

Room Tip: Choose the upper floors (we were on the 5th level) for maximum views.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fredlabq
Dear fredlabq,

White Hall, Arkansas
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My daughter wanted to go to Cancun for her 18th birthday, her roommate at school told her about the resort. We booked it for three people all inclusive. We arrived and no doubt the resort was beautiful but we checked in and was given little information regarding dining and activities. We were not told you had to make reservations for dinner and so when we went to eat after we checked in we were asked if we had a reservation, explained we did not know when we're supposed to. They did sit us since it was after 9pm. The food was not especially good. In the third day after returning from an excursion we had a message from the front desk. They wanted to tell me that we didn't receive our welcome package. I not down to get it and low and behold a map of the resort and info on dining. Of course the main reason for the "welcome package" was,mot try and talk you into a tour for their timeshare. When I explained that I wasn't interested they were not as friendly. The door men were extremely helpful and nice. Breakfast was good. It was about a 30 minute taxi ride to down town where all the restaurant and clubs were located. that was an added expense because it was far out, I would never stay there again. It was not worth the expensive price tag.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Miranda C
Hotel_Administration, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 July 2016
Dear Miranda C,

Burbank, California
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Our first time to Cancun, and to a Villa Del Palmar Resort and we enjoyed it very much!
The Hotel is tastefully done and is beautiful inside and out, the lush grounds and gardens so inviting. The pools are large and refreshing. The beach, though on the small side and had some seaweed that could be more attended to was still very nice. We had a one bedroom suite that was immaculately clean and had all the necessary items one could want. The restaurants were very good as was the food at the deli and market. Most of all we were impressed with the service and friendliness of the staff. Everyone from check in to check out, treated us with a warm and friendly manner, and were eager to please, making our stay so much nicer. A special thanks to Donovan (a very friendly and efficient waiter) in "the Bite Restaurant" who served us our last two Pina Coladas before leaving our Oasis of the past 5 days! Muchas Gracias to all at Villa Del Palmar!

Room Tip: We were on the 6th floor and had beautiful views, especially from the hammock! Nice touch.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dreams Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
#22 of 175 in Cancun

Been to Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!