“Nice place but service/food is less than average.”

Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed at Vila del Palmar for 6 nights. The resort is approximately 25 minutes from the international airport. The resort is north of the Hotel zone and across from the Isla Mujeres. Upon arrival they had one desk clerk available to check-in resort attendees. It took approximately 1-hour to be checked in. We stayed in king-bed suite and the rooms were good. The beds were average. The layout of the room was good and we had a 4th floor balcony that looked towards the ocean.

We purchased the all-inclusive option for our trip. The restaurant lacked variety. We ate several times at the restaurant in the middle of the resort. The food was OK. The design of the restaurant was very nice as you sat next to small pools.

There is a small pool bar but this was a very busy place and the service was bad.The best drink bar is the small thatched bar close to the rooms! This is an underused bar area and most resort residents do not frequent this bar.

The evening restaurants are slow. Dinner at the these restaurants average approximately two hours. So, if you have nothing planned after dinner then this will be OK. However, I did not want to stay in a restaurant for longer than an hour so we can enjoy evening shows and other amenities. When ordering pool side food and drinks plan on an 45 minutes or longer. I often went to the pool bar to get the drinks as the wait time was 5-10 minutes. Order two drinks at a time!!!

Overall, the resort is nice. The reason I give this resort an average rating is the less than average service and food quality.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Scott M
Hotel_Administration, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2016

Dear Scott M,

Thank you so much for having take the time to write a review on our property. We have implemented a response system where each of the comments will be answered within 48 hours.

We are also providing a special phone number and direct access to our General Manager 24/7 for any guest satisfaction issue. Additionally, we have created a guest relations desk in the lobby of our hotel to attend any issues and transform experiences from negative to positives.

Villa del Palmar Cancun

Write a ReviewReviews (4,204)

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We booked the Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa with another couple for 5 nights and 6 days, all inclusive, through a timeshare promotion. Transportation to the resort was included but not back to the airport. Our rooms were very spacious with a nice large balcony with a hammock (which we didn't use and took down). The beds were very comfortable. The view was over the swimming pools with a bit of a view of the ocean. We checked in early before our room was ready and were given the opportunity to change into swimsuits in their hospitality room and enjoy the pool. We decided to eat lunch and enjoy our books waiting for our friends to arrive. There are a number of restaurants we were allowed to participate in, and the variety and food was very good. We had prepaid gratuities (didn't have a choice) but we tipped bar drinks extra, and the drinks kept coming. We took the ferry (literally right next door) over to the Island for under $10 each. Other people tried to discourage us from this particular ferry used by the local people but we thought it was great. When we arrived, we took a taxi to a local beach to spend the day. A few topless sunbathers on the beach, for those that might be offended. We decided to take the water taxi back to the mainland instead of the ferry for about the same price and it ran every half hour. Unfortunately, we had to take a taxi back to the resort for about $15. Water aerobics and water volleyball we participated in. We did the timeshare, supposedly 90 minutes and we were out of there in 2 hours. Our appointment was 9:30 including breakfast but we had already eaten so that cut our time down, then we were on to the presentation. Low pressure, we showed little interest and commented that we weren't interested, just fulfilling our obligation for the all inclusive. We were passed on to two other people but were still able to get back to the pool in 2 hours. Tip: don't ask questions or they think you're interested. All in all had a great vacation and would highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank carolerose85
Hotel_Administration, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2016

Dear carolerose85,

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

The service and the food was amazing. Def recommend doing the all inclusive option (worth the money). The only downside was the limited night time entertainment. They had shows but there were very few bars/places to hang out after the show, especially if the weather was bad

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Brittany S
Hotel_Administration, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2016

Dear Brittany S,

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Villa del Palmar is beautiful. The grounds and rooms are amazing. If it is your desire to stay in one place and enjoy superior accommodations, this is the place for you. There are a number of restaurants on site with acceptable food offerings at prices that are not especially inexpensive, but you can go all inclusive and stay there for all your meals. If however you are interested in other activities and do not want to be tied down in one location then you may want to go somewhere else. This hotel is out in the nether land. North of Cancun with little else around. You must travel to go into town to shop, eat out, or catch the people ferry to the Island of Women. Taxis lined up for you at the hotel are expensive and they will not discuss alternatives with you such as local little buses.
The beach stinks, literally,aI diesel ferry nearby belches fumes when it leaves or arrives. The sand is narrow, There is no surf. The water color is not the turquoise we were hoping to see. There is a lot of sea grass growing just off the beach and it is unpleasant to walk in with bare feet. We were told not to wander in either direction because of various wildlife. Each morning they made a valiant effort remove the seagrass that washed up on the beach, but it was still unsightly.
The people were helpful and seemed to be well trained. When we asked for places to eat out, we were sent to the most expensive place at which I have ever eaten and asked who recommended it for us no doubt for a kickback. They will not let you carry up your own groceries or luggage. You can not park your own car. So tipping is a constant. Making matters worse they tacked on a tip fee to our bill which we were not told before hand.
Avoid at all cost the timeshare presentation. What they promise will be ninety minutes turns into three or four hours. If you say no, be prepared to be passed up for more pressure. I would recommend staying there a week before I bought anything.
Stay away form the supplies in the frig. They cost ten times what they would in a store. Your room will be straightened only if you put a notice in the key slot.
We plan very carefully for our vacations. Traveling with children can be expensive. I am willing to pay for what was expected, but when expenses appear that were not expected it can be very annoying. I wish all costs could be revealed up front. I wish hotels would be willing to help you control your cost, by suggesting alternative transportation or dinning spots. I wish there were not facilities unavailable to the commoner such as the infinity pool. But if you are rich and don't mind being nickle and dimed to death this is the place for you. And, you can enjoy that infinity pool without being exposed to commoner like us.

Room Tip: Upper rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank Z1272NSelizabeths

Dear Z1272NSelizabeths,

Reviewed 16 June 2014

First let me say that we are Owners of the Villa Del Palmar in Cabo. We wanted to try something different this year, and I am glad we did. I am surprised by most of the reviews that were unfavorable about this resort. Not to say it was a our BEST vacation ever but I thought that the grounds, rooms, service, food and amenities were more than adequate for our 6 day stay.

Check in was smooth and easy and Victoria was very friendly and made us feel welcome. I sent the other 3 adults in our party to the room while I sat with the Owners Concierge. They set up my owners breakfast for 2 days later, which I actually did not make and called to tell them I had changed my mind and did not want to be bothered with any additional up-selling. I am sure they were not pleased but honored my wishes. If I am interested in making any changes to my current ownership I will do it over the phone. Yes this is a time share property, and unless you are there on a promotion, owner or not, you can opt out of it. I lost out on a 15% discount for services and other activities around the resort by not going, but that was fine by me. If we had done the presentation we could have saved almost half on the round of golf that one of the members in our group enjoyed. But when you are on vacation, sometimes not having to hassle with the presentation is worth the extra money you might pay for an activity. At least to us it was.

We did opt for the all inclusive meal plan because we knew we would be taking advantage of the bar service at the pool each day. If you are not going to be eating or drinking excessively I think you could easily skip the all inclusive plan. We had a wonderful server Rocio who we sat in her section each day. We tipped her well and asked that the drinks come out a little stronger. Once we did that it seemed to do the trick (the drinks are pretty watered down). She was fantastic!

Breakfast each day was amazing, so many options, very good food. I am not even a breakfast person but I made sure to eat to my hearts content. The concierge manager Susana was phenomenal. Always going out of her way to find us, see if we needed anything and making small talk. Honestly, if you are a friendly, talkative, approachable person you should have no issues with service. We are good tippers (which I am sure helped matters) and Cash is King there so you would be surprised how far a few dollars can go on your first day, you should get the royal treatment for the rest of your stay if you do!

It is true that this resort is remote and night life is lacking, but we made plenty of fun for ourselves. We enjoyed the hot tubs or the pool at night, bringing our own drinks down with us since pool/bar service stops at 6pm. Most of our meal reservations were at 8pm and on nights we did not make it we just ordered room service (menu is not big but you can find something to satisfy). Pool food was decent. We found pizza's and burgers that worked each day.

The only meal I was not thrilled with was at the Mexican restaurant, but everyone else in my party enjoyed their meals there. The Japanese and Mediterranean were my absolute favorite and I wish I had only made reservations there for our stay. Several other guests we met advised against the Steak house so we took a pass on that one altogether.

The Room was always stocked with beer and snacks which helped, and the rest you can find at the market. If we return with our kids, I am sure we will just stop off for groceries (in a private taxi along the way to the resort) and not use the all inclusive plan. There were 2 small minor maintenance issues and they resolved them very quickly!

The beach is not impressive at this end of Cancun so we stayed at the pool most days, but the swing bar was a very fun place to drink when you wanted to feel sand in your toes. The activities staff there was pretty fun too. I don't usually indulge in the water aerobics and games but here it was pretty fun, and gave me quite the work out. I am glad I took advantage of it this trip. I did also take advantage of the gym facilities. It was tucked in the corner of the basement of a building with no view but the equipment was state of the art which helped.

We took ferry next to resort (deemed by our group as the Rust Bucket) to Isla Mujeres one day. Although there are faster, nicer ferry's within a Taxi or Bus ride from resort, we found the Rust Bucket (walking distance) to be more than adequate and inexpensive ($3 per person or $40 pesos). The resort can exchange money for you but they certainly would and could have taken our cash too. Island was very nice. We rented a comfortable golf cart for $60 for the day (you can find them cheaper if you just walk into Town from the port (5 to 10 mins walk). We explored the entire island, had lunch on the beach, did some shopping and back onto the Rust Bucket in less than 6 hours. Great time away from the resort - HIGHLY recommend visiting this Island!

Check out was a bit of a pain, as we left on a Saturday during busy check in and check out time. The resort could do a better job of processing everyone once you settle up, but other than that it was a great time (despite the rainy weather and overcast all week). Great resort if you are just there to unwind and relax and enjoy what the hotel has to offer.

I think I would try other Villa Del Mar properties before returning to this one (to be able to compare to others), but I am sure we will visit again in the future with our small children.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 6th floor in 1604A and B (2 bedroom) facing south towards the hotel zone - wonderfu...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank KertrinaJ

Dear KetrinaJ,

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I loved Villa Del Palmar! Very clean, beautiful, and the staff are unbelievably attentive. The food are excellent and they offered nothing but quality food. Truly a great place for the whole family. Expensive, yes! But you won't regret it. We loved it so much that we ended up buying a share.

Room Tip: Please don't be unreasonable, just because it is all inclusive doesn't mean that everything...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear ChrisandDev B,

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We bought our timeshare in Cabo San Lucas a few years ago. The is the first time we've used the property in Cancun. Between Cabo and Puerto Vallarta, this was by far the best. The resort is located on a section of the beach away from the "Hotel Zone." This is a great place for family and friends to unwind and relax. We didn't go to the pool area until after 10:00am.....and you could still find loungers by the pool and the beach. I would definitely venture into town where you will find more authentic Mexican food and at better prices.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

#1 of 7 in Playa Mujeres
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
Dreams Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
Grand Fiesta Americana Coral Beach Cancun

Been to Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!