“Timeshare presentation”

Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We arrived quickly and checked into our room. Impressed with the size and decor was fine. Everyone was friendly and service was excellent. The presentation to the vacation plan was a little pushy however we got out of there and continued to enjoy our time. I wish I would have brought my camera on the tour to take photos from the 9th floor. We would return if we had to but rather stay at the hotel zone. We went there by taxi for a little day trip. Food was fine as well as the entertainment staff try their best. no complaints......We returned home July 24th.......

3  Thank Trisha12
Hotel_Administration, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2016

Dear Trisha12,

We are also providing a special phone number and direct access to our General Manager 24/7 for any guest satisfaction issue. Additionally, we have created a guest relations desk in the lobby of our hotel to attend any issues and transform experiences from negative to positives.

There are newer reviews for Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa

Reviewed 10 August 2014

This place was wonderful, relaxing and well worth the trip, for the people looking to enjoy relaxation, the nightly themed shows and Buffett"s are great.. for the adventures people like my wife and I,a little far from the action,ie excursion
The staff are great they will remember you on a first name basis, and what drinks you like to order.the food could have been a little bit better but that's what happens when you get people from all over the world that are not adventures with the taste buds.this page is secluded so the little market that's in front of the lobby will get you for your wallet.

Dear Jimmy R,

Reviewed 10 August 2014

This is a review of being a guest as the Villa Del Palmar to attend a family wedding. Having been to over a dozen countries for work, volunteer work, and leisure, I would have to say, whole-heartedly, genuinely, and honestly - this hotel is on my bottom 3 - if not the very bottom in regards to customer service, organization, and lack of communication.
I do not like to write bad reviews as I am a business owner myself and truly understand that sometimes it can be a situation based isolated event, sometimes just a bad day, or sometimes just a confusion. But as a business owner we always strive to make the situation outcome the best for the customer do we not? Esp if it does NOT involve legalities, crime, dangerous and flat out rule-breaking. Also having been to many countries I also understand that it can be culturally based as well (traveled to India, Asia, South America, Russia, etc..)

So the story goes like this...I made a decision (based upon other tripadvisor traveler reviews - thanks you guys!) to not stay at this hotel due to the many reviews regarding "double charging, montezuma's revenge on the bowels, lack of customer service, and pressure for time share sales. We stayed at the Luxury Condo's about 1 mile down the road called La Amada Marina and Residences (SO VERY NICE & luxurious).

On the day before the wedding we were invited by the bride who is my sister in law (her mother brothers and sisters stayed with me in the condo as accommodated up to 10) to a rehearsal lunch at their Zama restaurant - we decided to take a taxi (there is a road that connects the two premises) due to my elderly mother in law and the heat. Upon arriving at the gate we were held for 20 mins as the security guy had to check with the front desk if we were allowed in. My driver even explained to the security that this was for a wedding , etc, etc, all of the people in the car were family members and were due inside to participate in the rehearsal. Security replies 'there is no such event or wedding on the premise this weekend you are not allowed in'.
I do not blame the security - he was only following the front desks orders - who probably should have been notified by the wedding event/banquet organizer - perhaps a daily itinerary of events should suffice?
I begged security if I could soley go in to find the bride to bring her out to explain. He said I could not but he could have someone escort me to the front desk.
At the front desk, explaining I am here for a rehearsal plus hosted lunch by the bride and groom, front desk says again that they have no written note that there is a wedding this weekend and for me and my family to be on the premise I need to pay $150 per person. There were 8 of us. So essentially $1200. RIGHT.....Another 20 mins go by of explaining that we were guest of the wedding, even some were actually in the wedding party...no, pay $150. No I do not want to use your pool or facilities, just wedding events. Even as one of my nephews was being ushered out he was simultaneously offered time share presentation - HUH?
40 mins later I run into a friend of the bride who happens to be in the lobby and he finds her. We were allowed in with stares like we were breaking into the White House, security on our tails. We ate at Zama had the rehearsal, food was ok, not anything special.
Bride invited us to go swimming in their pool which was strangely heated in a 90 degree 99% humidity weathered environment, no thanks, plus we could not as did not pay the $1200 to swim in a heated pool.

Next day, actual day of wedding, I had that feeling, 30 mins at security (even my taxi guys was like 'are you kidding me? this is ridiculous!').
'No wedding on our list' - really? I actually got out of the taxi with my elderly mother in law in tow (as she was late for some wedding picture event) and ran into the lobby with security yelling at the wind in my hair. All I needed to do was get her to the brides room for pictures.
After another 5 mins of trying to find the elevator and dropping her off I went back down to the lobby. My 6 other family members were quarantined by the front desk who was demanding $150 to be on the premise, really again?
Again, we are guest of a wedding, in which you pocketed $30,000? You know that wedding today at 5:00pm? I had the front desk call the wedding coordinator so she can verify our attendance - front desk says our names our not on the list, funny all our last names match the brides last name - another 20 mins of huffing and puffing trying to get us to pay they let us in with blue wrist bands to denote we are guests of wedding. The did not usher or direct us to the wedding location, I assumed it was on the beach as that was not hard to figure out.

In regards to the wedding location that was very breathtaking and beautiful, not Hawaii, but nevertheless very nice (to any future brides out there) - a few of us got Montezuma's Revenge on our bowels from the plated food, spend the night on the toilet, but overall pretty wedding.

So of course this is review is not based on our stay, as we did not stay there, but if you could take it with a grain of salt, maybe a tiny red flag, as to the lack of communication, forced push for monetary gain, and terrible customer service you can imagine what other areas this can leak into.
I suspect they feel they are losing more on the all-inclusive folks so they push for money whenever they can. Maybe take the all inclusive out and make everyone pay, they you would not have that looming 'im losing money on alcohol and food' and take it out on random guest. Also read another review about another family being treated like they were breaking into the white house - I felt the same way. It was quite disturbing. Very inefficient.

Please try to make an effort to be more organized, up your customer service and get it together VDP.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
16  Thank Huongn2
Hotel_Administration, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2016

Dear Huongn,

Thank you so much for having take the time to write a review on our property. We have implemented a response system where each of the comments will be answered within 48 hours.2

Reviewed 9 August 2014

It's so great to be away from everything. A few problems with check in, too loud in the lobby and a bit of a process. However the service from Jacob at the pool was priceless, Pastor at La Cosona, and Noe at Zama, all made the trip top notch! The food was good, and it is a very relaxing and kind atmosphere. Our only complaint would be the cleanliness of the restrooms by the pool, very poor.

Room Tip: the 1 bedroom suite is worth the extra with kitchen and separate rooms. the higher the floor the be...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Seanne M

Dear Seanne M,

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Great place to visit, away from all the Zona Hotelera mess, this place is simply remarkable, from the furniture to the appliances to the kitchen cabinets to the attention given to details, is simply outstanding, I would like to mention people like Juan, Zack, Arturo, Irma etc, this people make our stay at this location the most enjoyable vacation, like I have always stated you take care of people and the people will take care of you, my room was changed every single day, with plenty of items like towels, shampoo, conditioner, even soap for my dishes, the AC worked fantastic, one of the pools it was hot but it is understandable due to Caribbean sun, but you have 4 other pools to choose from, the shows every night were very nice, we all loved the Michael Jackson night show, also when they had this Cuban music group playing for you at anytime you requested giving the Caribbean touch was great, like I said great little details that will make your experience awesome, I was not pressured to do anything like time share or anything like that it is up to you; I do believe that the entire resort should offer free WIFI, I did not obtained the all inclusive package which make my stay the more remarkable because I ate anywhere we choose to eat, there is plenty of entertainment around the whole area, I rented a vehicle so I did not have to be in no one schedule to go to excursions and such or pay a cab driver, so the fact that anyone would like to depend on other peoples transportation is totally optional. The beach area is great, a few rocks but you can swim. I will be coming back next year.

Room Tip: it is known that if you pay more you will get more, upgrade to the 1 bedroom suite.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank desadri

Dear desadri,

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Just returned from family vacation in Cancun, Mexico at the Villa Del Palma, Cancun. Wonderful experience. Grounds are beautiful, food is very good and varied. Only complaint regarding food, not enough options for children. We had a 5 yr old with us and there was not much for her to choose from. Service was outstanding and the staff is so friendly and helpful. Pools were beautiful and everything was spotless. We had a 2 bedroom suite and rooms were extremely clean and came equipped with anything you could need. They do need more activities for small children and play area. Now the only down side. It is a timeshare property and if you want to waste 3 hrs of your vacation do it for the perks which are not really worth the waste of time. We were told seminar was 90 minutes, 3 hrs later I tried to leave and was told I could not. lLets just say that did not sit well with me .Overall wonderful trip enjoyed by all just avoid the presentation.

Room Tip: If you have children get the 1 bedroom suite.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank nandi60

Dear nandi60,

Reviewed 8 August 2014

my husband and i are owners in Cabo SanLucus and one of the reasons we bought in the Villa group is because there are no internal transfer fees and we wanted to go to Cancun for our annual anniversary trip! Upon arriving to our surprise we were greeted by a private concierge Chantel who checked us in separately from visiting rental guests and explained all of the amenities available to us and made suggestions and reservations for us as to what our ownership offered she had drinks and warmth and Superior customer service. I'm also in the Hospitality business and i told her i'd love to steel her away from the villa GP. and have her come to the states she is a shining star. The out door Spa tucked away Fabulous i've been to many spas all around the Caribbean and their Spa is the Best. Noria the rooms manager superior customer service unfortunately we were @ 1st. put next to a family w/ an infant and we had no privacy and the baby woke me up the 1st. night of arrival but Noria hand picked our next villa which gave us an upgraded complimentary suite away from families w/ sm . children and a better view,YES…from Tanya the pool activities director to Geovonie our Beach server Miguel our suite attendant and last but not least our servers @ our Anniversary dinner @ La Casona restaurant,Saul,Francisco, and Efran that was undoubtedly our best meal the whole trip! Villa del Palmar Cancun is expectantly beautiful and staff we felt w/ excellent customer service skills and so much to do or not to do @ this resort i Highly recommend it for any occasion to visit

Room Tip: rooms on the north side are quieter, higher floors have better views , always inquirer about a room...
2  Thank vern1ce

Beloved Playa Mujeres
#1 of 7 in Playa Mujeres
Grand Fiesta Americana Coral Beach Cancun
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!