“Great vacation” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

We took 3 young children & that was the only mistake. We had a great time & the resort is beautiful. The food wasn't as kid friendly as we were told & we won't be taking them back. The rooms are very nice and the pools were not crowded at all which made it even better. We will hopefully go back next year for an adults only trip

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Robert T
Hotel_Administration, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 25 July 2016
Dear Robert T,

We are also providing a special phone number and direct access to our General Manager 24/7 for any guest satisfaction issue. Additionally, we have created a guest relations desk in the lobby of our hotel to attend any issues and transform experiences from negative to positives.

Villa del Palmar Cancun

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,445)
fontana, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Our second time in this Awesome Resort, we were here last year and we had to come back we couldn't get enough. A total of 10 people including myself came this time. We had a GREAT time form Check In to Check Out, of course checkout is painful because nobody wants to leave. Our 2 bedroom and my sister in law 1 bedroom were fantastic, I took pictures from my balcony and post them on FB I immediately got awesome comments. The staff was incredible and very helpful Daniel, Karina, Andres Nely y Karla at reception, Dennis, Edith, Myrna in the restaurants. Dennis our concierge was very helpful. Had the All Inclusive, I think is the best way to go. Ate at Hiroshi, Zama, La Casona, Davinos all were very good, the food and service were incredible. Amazing pools. Day activities and Night Theme Nights incredible, the activity Staff Superb, Erik and Alejandra fantastic and funny. Can't wait to go back. We LOVE this resort. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Ocean view is the best. Third floor and above.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
1 Thank tonypvr
Dear tonypvr,

Alhambra, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I'm a member of the villa del palmar group in cabo, but was really looking forward to visiting the Cancun location. I’ve been to Cancun in other occasions and usually stay in the hotel zone. I definitely agree with other reviewers if you want to get away from it all this is the place for you however I was very disappointed with the beach, not what I expected at all ! Too much sea weed for my liking and needed to wear water shoes as it had some rocky areas, water was murky. Also I agree with other reviewers the water in pool was very warm , I can't say I will be returning to this resort because I love beach vacations and this beach just didn't do it for me. Other than that the staff was very welcoming and the accommodations were very nice.We traveled in July.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
5 Thank maria h
Dear maria h,

On Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

We arrived quickly and checked into our room. Impressed with the size and decor was fine. Everyone was friendly and service was excellent. The presentation to the vacation plan was a little pushy however we got out of there and continued to enjoy our time. I wish I would have brought my camera on the tour to take photos from the 9th floor. We would return if we had to but rather stay at the hotel zone. We went there by taxi for a little day trip. Food was fine as well as the entertainment staff try their best. no complaints......We returned home July 24th.......

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
3 Thank Trisha12
Dear Trisha12,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

This place was wonderful, relaxing and well worth the trip, for the people looking to enjoy relaxation, the nightly themed shows and Buffett"s are great.. for the adventures people like my wife and I,a little far from the action,ie excursion
The staff are great they will remember you on a first name basis, and what drinks you like to order.the food could have been a little bit better but that's what happens when you get people from all over the world that are not adventures with the taste buds.this page is secluded so the little market that's in front of the lobby will get you for your wallet.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
Dear Jimmy R,

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

This is a review of being a guest as the Villa Del Palmar to attend a family wedding. Having been to over a dozen countries for work, volunteer work, and leisure, I would have to say, whole-heartedly, genuinely, and honestly - this hotel is on my bottom 3 - if not the very bottom in regards to customer service, organization, and lack of communication.
I do not like to write bad reviews as I am a business owner myself and truly understand that sometimes it can be a situation based isolated event, sometimes just a bad day, or sometimes just a confusion. But as a business owner we always strive to make the situation outcome the best for the customer do we not? Esp if it does NOT involve legalities, crime, dangerous and flat out rule-breaking. Also having been to many countries I also understand that it can be culturally based as well (traveled to India, Asia, South America, Russia, etc..)

So the story goes like this...I made a decision (based upon other tripadvisor traveler reviews - thanks you guys!) to not stay at this hotel due to the many reviews regarding "double charging, montezuma's revenge on the bowels, lack of customer service, and pressure for time share sales. We stayed at the Luxury Condo's about 1 mile down the road called La Amada Marina and Residences (SO VERY NICE & luxurious).

On the day before the wedding we were invited by the bride who is my sister in law (her mother brothers and sisters stayed with me in the condo as accommodated up to 10) to a rehearsal lunch at their Zama restaurant - we decided to take a taxi (there is a road that connects the two premises) due to my elderly mother in law and the heat. Upon arriving at the gate we were held for 20 mins as the security guy had to check with the front desk if we were allowed in. My driver even explained to the security that this was for a wedding , etc, etc, all of the people in the car were family members and were due inside to participate in the rehearsal. Security replies 'there is no such event or wedding on the premise this weekend you are not allowed in'.
I do not blame the security - he was only following the front desks orders - who probably should have been notified by the wedding event/banquet organizer - perhaps a daily itinerary of events should suffice?
I begged security if I could soley go in to find the bride to bring her out to explain. He said I could not but he could have someone escort me to the front desk.
At the front desk, explaining I am here for a rehearsal plus hosted lunch by the bride and groom, front desk says again that they have no written note that there is a wedding this weekend and for me and my family to be on the premise I need to pay $150 per person. There were 8 of us. So essentially $1200. RIGHT.....Another 20 mins go by of explaining that we were guest of the wedding, even some were actually in the wedding party...no, pay $150. No I do not want to use your pool or facilities, just wedding events. Even as one of my nephews was being ushered out he was simultaneously offered time share presentation - HUH?
40 mins later I run into a friend of the bride who happens to be in the lobby and he finds her. We were allowed in with stares like we were breaking into the White House, security on our tails. We ate at Zama had the rehearsal, food was ok, not anything special.
Bride invited us to go swimming in their pool which was strangely heated in a 90 degree 99% humidity weathered environment, no thanks, plus we could not as did not pay the $1200 to swim in a heated pool.

Next day, actual day of wedding, I had that feeling, 30 mins at security (even my taxi guys was like 'are you kidding me? this is ridiculous!').
'No wedding on our list' - really? I actually got out of the taxi with my elderly mother in law in tow (as she was late for some wedding picture event) and ran into the lobby with security yelling at the wind in my hair. All I needed to do was get her to the brides room for pictures.
After another 5 mins of trying to find the elevator and dropping her off I went back down to the lobby. My 6 other family members were quarantined by the front desk who was demanding $150 to be on the premise, really again?
Again, we are guest of a wedding, in which you pocketed $30,000? You know that wedding today at 5:00pm? I had the front desk call the wedding coordinator so she can verify our attendance - front desk says our names our not on the list, funny all our last names match the brides last name - another 20 mins of huffing and puffing trying to get us to pay they let us in with blue wrist bands to denote we are guests of wedding. The did not usher or direct us to the wedding location, I assumed it was on the beach as that was not hard to figure out.

In regards to the wedding location that was very breathtaking and beautiful, not Hawaii, but nevertheless very nice (to any future brides out there) - a few of us got Montezuma's Revenge on our bowels from the plated food, spend the night on the toilet, but overall pretty wedding.

So of course this is review is not based on our stay, as we did not stay there, but if you could take it with a grain of salt, maybe a tiny red flag, as to the lack of communication, forced push for monetary gain, and terrible customer service you can imagine what other areas this can leak into.
I suspect they feel they are losing more on the all-inclusive folks so they push for money whenever they can. Maybe take the all inclusive out and make everyone pay, they you would not have that looming 'im losing money on alcohol and food' and take it out on random guest. Also read another review about another family being treated like they were breaking into the white house - I felt the same way. It was quite disturbing. Very inefficient.

Please try to make an effort to be more organized, up your customer service and get it together VDP.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
16 Thank Huongn2
Hotel_Administration, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 July 2016
Dear Huongn,

Thank you so much for having take the time to write a review on our property. We have implemented a response system where each of the comments will be answered within 48 hours.2

Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

It's so great to be away from everything. A few problems with check in, too loud in the lobby and a bit of a process. However the service from Jacob at the pool was priceless, Pastor at La Cosona, and Noe at Zama, all made the trip top notch! The food was good, and it is a very relaxing and kind atmosphere. Our only complaint would be the cleanliness of the restrooms by the pool, very poor.

Room Tip: the 1 bedroom suite is worth the extra with kitchen and separate rooms. the higher the floor the be...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Hyatt Ziva Cancun
Hyatt Ziva Cancun
#6 of 181 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,164 reviews

Been to Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!