Excellence Playa Mujeres
US$608
Beloved Hotels
US$419
Bookit.com
Finest Playa Mujeres(Playa Mujeres)
US$494
US$463
Bookit.com
Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa(Playa Mujeres)(Great Value!)
US$173
US$24
  • Room Service
US$48
US$36
Hotel Riu Dunamar(Playa Mujeres)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
12,970 results
All reviewsmartini barchez isabelleflavor marketlobsterthe grillsol barrooftop terracemain poolour honeymooncafe kafecarolina pazec poolnon ecroom servicebuilding conciergefrench restaurantswim up room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 June 2011

My partner and I visited Excellence Playa Mujeres from the 1st May to 16th May 2011. Upon arrival we were greeted with a glass of champagne and cold towels whilst we checked in and were shown to our room (6307). It was large and very spacious which was immaculately clean with everything you could imagine or want. The rooms are simply gorgeous. What you see in the pictures is what you get. The jacuzzi was an added bonus as well as the stocked up mini fridge. After a long flight we immediately felt at home.

Everything about this resort is amazing. The staff are some of the friendliest and most professional I have ever encountered - the service was truly outstanding. Everyone went out of their way, with genuine smiles, to ensure your stay was enjoyable. Tipping isn't necessary, but I would suggest it. Everywhere are gardens; manicured and jungled, prolific and well-nurtured. You are spoilt of choice when it comes to day activities; our hardest decision was whether we wanted a pool or beach day.

You've got the beach on your doorstep and everything you need to relax at your fingertips. The beach is just beautiful, clean, spacious with lots of shade and chairs (although we did have to race down early in the morning to try to get a spot). The beach was gorgeous, the seaweed was minimal, and didn't impact our stay one bit. The water was clean and warm however I have been to better beaches. The pools are beautifully maintained as well as the fantastic lazy river.

The restaurants are superb and you are never short on choice with Chez Isabelle, Basmati and Spice being our favourites. We particularly enjoyed the daily BBQ on the beach providing all sorts of different meat and roasted vegetables. We ordered room service on a few occasions, dinner was fantastic but breakfast was a let down. However the buffet breakfast at Toscana catered for all tastes, the chocolate pancakes were out of this world. A few cocktails I would recommend are the Ice Berg; corona and tequila topped off with margarita - a true Mexican speciality, Strawberry Daiquiri, Mojito and a Martini.

We went on an excursion to Tulum and Coba through Thomas Cook. They were both steeped in history and were absolutely stunning however I would avoid at all costs. We spent half our time on the coach with other tourists and in the 40 degrees heat it was very unbearable. I couldn't wait to get back to the resort. It also worked out to be very expensive. We also took a day trip to Isla Mujeres for only a small cost. We took a taxi to the ferry ($15USD) and the ferry was $28USD for 2 round trip tickets. Then we rented the golf buggy for the day and explored the Island. I would highly recommend doing this as it is situated just opposite the resort. The beaches were incredible and I have never seen sea so blue.

Without a doubt we would both return to Mexico, it truly is a beautiful place and a stunning resort. However they're too many places in this world to see but hopefully we will return one day.

Reviewed 6 June 2011

We got married and had our honeymoon at this resort. Our stay was for 10 nights so this review may be long winded, but I feel it's important to cover all the facets of our stay. I'll try to break everything down into categories.

Hotel Transfer: We booked our airport transfer through Cancun Transfers. They charge half the price of the hotel ($70/round trip) and were excellent (both coming and going). The drivers were friendly and I felt completely safe. The drive to the resort takes about 20 minutes - although if you travel during rush hour it will take longer. You will pass through some very poor areas but you will also see a lot of new condo construction along the beach.

Arrival at the Hotel: We were greeted with cold towels and champagne in the lobby. Since we arrived around 3 PM our rooms were ready. The bellman grabbed our bags and met us at the Excellence Club for check in. I recommend carrying any valuables with you during this process because your bags will not be in your sight the whole time. The Excellence Club was very small but nice. They have a bar with top shelf liquor, food, computers, etc. Our check in went smoothly and we were taken up to our room in building 8. We had an ocean view room which looked out over the top of the Lobster House/Grill. If you are staying in this building and book an ocean view, you have to stay on the 3rd floor or higher - otherwise there is no ocean view.

Room: When we arrived, there were fresh flowers and champagne waiting for us along with some fruit. The rooms are nice and spacious - as are the bathrooms. When you book the Excellence Club your room will have liquor, wine and beer. As many others have mentioned the toilette does not offer much privacy, but we didn't think that was a big deal. The shower is great with two heads (a rainfall head and a regular head) and plenty big enough for two :-) There is a hair dryer, safe, iron and ironing board. The mini-bar fridge does not keep drinks very cold and the liquor and wine are budget. The liquor was actually okay, but the champagne and the wine were horrible!! I actually got to the point where I could no longer drink the wine or champagne in the room and in some of the restaurants because it was so bad. It was very cheap and sweet.

Restaurants: (BREAKFAST) We ate at the buffet (Toscana) for breakfast every morning except for two. We had room service one morning and went to the Lobster House the other morning. I definitely recommend the buffet - it is by far the best option and was actually pretty good. There are so many options that you are bound to find something you like. Don't even bother with the Lobster House for breakfast - it wasn't any good. (LUNCH) There are not many options for lunch. There is the buffet (Toscana), the Grill, and also some beach side grills/buffets. We tried all of them. The buffet is so-so for lunch as are the beachside grills/buffets. The Grill is the best option for lunch. They offered fresh ceviche which was delicious as well as shrimp cocktail with a very weird tasting cocktail sauce (it almost tasted like barbecue sauce). They also make excellent guacamole at the Grill - but you must ask for it as it is not on the menu. Surprisingly, guacamole was very hard to come by which I thought was strange for a mexican resort. The beachside grill is okay. They have some sliders which are kind of bland and the beachside buffet is not good (overcooked food, flies, etc.). DINNER: The best place we ate - hands down - was BASMATI (the Indian restaurant). It was delicious!!! So much so that we ate there twice. The service there was also wonderful and right in line with what you would expect from an upscale resort. The other restaurants, however, were underwhelming. Spice is okay - not good sushi, but their Thai dishes and hibachi were pretty good. The french restaurant is pretty good. The lobster house was AWFUL! I'm used to cold-water lobster and the lobsters here don't taste like that. We had to wait over an hour to get reservations and everything was overcooked. Literally, all you get is one small lobster - and that's the meal. Just not what I expected. It's definitely been over-hyped on this site. On Friday nights they have a Mexican buffet and that was pretty good - we actually had our rehearsal dinner during the buffet (they reserved tables for our party). The food was good and they have mariachi bands and live music.

Service/Cleanliness: This is where the resort falls short.
The room service is somewhat slow - not horrible, and the food is just okay. What you'd expect from room service. HOWEVER, and this is a big however - the rooms are equipped with these cupboards where you can store your food when you are done so it is not sitting out all day - BUT - they don't clean it out!! Literally, we had food in the cupboard for days. It was disgusting and smelled. I had to call the concierge to have them clean it out and they said they would come right away and then came hours later. It was so gross! Also, a couple of times our room never got cleaned. If you are in the room when they come, they may not come back - or your room will go all day without being cleaned. Overall, the service is hit or miss - everywhere. Some of the restaurant staff were very friendly - others were rude. Same for bartenders, etc.

Entertainment: The shows were boring and not unlike other shows you find at all inclusives. They do have live music and activities every evening. it can be sort of loud if you're trying to go to bed early, but not a huge deal.

Drinks: The drinks are good, but very watered down. I think even the beer on tap may have been watered down. However, if you ask for more alcohol, they will give it to you. I enjoyed mechiladas every day (beer with tabasco and lime). I'm not normally a beer drinker, but like I said, the wine was awful.

Beach:
Yes, the beach had some seaweed, but we did not find that to be a problem or take away from our experience. It was a non-issue for us. The service on the beach was not good. Even if you tip, you may only have someone come by every hour or even longer to check on your drinks.

Spa:
Excellent! I had my hair and makeup done by Mayra. I cannot rave enough about the job she did. Everyone said I looked so beautiful and loved my hair. I loved it, too! Again, I cannot say enough what an awesome job she did. My husband and I also had massages and they were also excellent. The spa is one of the better highlights of the resort.

Wedding:
Our wedding was on the beach and very beautiful. It was just as I imagined. They were late getting started and the guests got very hot - otherwise - it was perfect. The food at our reception (which we had to pay $45 per head for) was AWFUL! It was the worst food we had the entire time we were there. We chose the pork/fish option - just awful. I was actually embarrassed. They also forgot our wedding cake. I'm not sure what happened, but it never made it to the reception. We had to hire an overpriced DJ who's service was just so-so. We had a great time despite it all because it was a wonderful day and we were there with so many friends and family.

We also booked a sunset cruise as a part of our wedding package. We had to wait over an hour in the lobby for a bellman to take us over to the marina. My husband was furious because the point of a sunset cruise is actually taking it during sunset. The cruise itself, though, was enjoyable.

To wrap up this long winded review, I'll sum up the pros and cons.

Pros: Beautiful resort, nice pools and beach, awesome spa, Basmati restaurant.

Cons: Cleanliness, service, food, the beds were hard.

15  Thank heather3742
Reviewed 6 June 2011

We booked this hotel after reading the rave reviews on TA and had high expectations - the excellence exceeded most of them. The resort itself is beautiful. The lazy river is fantastic - we had planned to do a couple of trips but were so relaxed and having such a good time we did not leave the resort once. The staff were fantastic, very attentive and our glasses were rarely empty. When we stayed the hotel was almost fully booked but there were always spaces around the pools and although there was a wait at some of the restaurants - we were given a buzzer and just went for another drink. If you are thinking of eating after 8:30 in one of the more popular restaurants its probably best to check if there will be a delay and get your buzzer before going for your first drink. There are 9 restaurants and although they are not all open every night - this is clearly communicated and most nights there were at least 6 and usually 7 dining choices.
Our favourites were spices and the flavour market. We ate at the grill twice and although I have had better steaks they were above average and the overall experience was fantastic.
The buffets for breakfast and lunch were vast and very tasty.
Yes individually I have had better meals but to have such a variety (asian, french, italian, indian, mexican, mediterranean, steaks and lobster) to a consistantly high standard and in such lovely surroundings is rare and worth paying for.
The rooms are lovely, very spacious and I thought very comfortable. I do agree that the bathroom arrangements are a little bizarre but not a major problem. The pillows are small but I used one of the bigger ones from the sofa!
I thought the level of hygiene was very good - every day they were steam cleaning and every 2 or 3 days they even scrubbed the inside of the pool and the hammocks over them.
I would not hesitate to recommend this resort to anyone and have just booked a return trip for April 2012.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
17  Thank holidayjunkie24
Reviewed 6 June 2011

The food was amazing, the grounds are well maintained and you are away from the chaos of Cancun. would recommend.

Room Tip: We had the Junior Suite
  • Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
6  Thank lovetotravel7399
Reviewed 5 June 2011

We came here for our honeymoon and stayed in the two-level rooftop suite in the excellence club (room # 4953) and don't know where to begin or end with this resort. I think they learned our faces and names within 2 days of being there. EVERY single person on this resort greets you when they see you. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Room Service, drinks etc. etc. etc. are top-notch. Our honeymoon package came with a spa package (awesome), dinner on the beach (awesome) and fresh fruit each day (awesome). The physical resort is spotless and everyone seems to be HAPPY to be working there. A whole new bar has been set for what I expect out of resorts now. We were there for 9 days and wanted to stay another week. I'm sure there I can't say anything that hasn't been said before. I either want to come back here next year or start checking out the other excellence resorts since apparently they are all of this caliber. The only downside might be the distance from the airport, but if you are looking to relax, it feels awesome to be away from all the craziness of Cancun. The food was some of the best I've had at fancy restaurants in Chicago. Another thing is that they are extremely vegetarian friendly which worked out well for me. Also, they also have photographers who take pictures of you for free and you can buy them if you like them. We did since the quality was extremely top-notch. Pretty cool way to wrap up the trip. We would have been more than fine with the first floor of our suite (huge, clean, modern with flat screen, Balcony, L-sofa and indoor/outdoor whirlpool) but the 2nd floor sealed the deal. Just remember that the toilet and shower are exposed with glass doors if privacy is a huge issue for you. One tip is to always put the chain on the door if you are in the room The staff likes to leave you random presents (wine, fruit, food, CD's, etc. etc.) which is great, but they can enter the room rather quickly if they think you are gone!

Room Tip: Try to have a room # or floor #
2  Thank Sam P