Excellence Playa Mujeres
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Finest Playa Mujeres(Playa Mujeres)
  • Pool
View Hotel
Hotel Riu Dunamar(Playa Mujeres)
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
  • Room Service
Playa Arena(Isla Mujeres)
12,971 results
All reviewsmartini barchez isabelleflavor marketlobsterthe grillsol barrooftop terracemain poolour honeymooncafe kafecarolina pazec poolnon ecroom servicebuilding conciergefrench restaurantswim up room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 May 2012

I must say this vacation was worth every penny. I feel I am very particular when I go on vacation and have high expectations on many levels. We stayed in the Excellence Club and loved it. The room accommodations were perfect, the outside patio with the comfortable bed to lounge on and wonderful room service.

The food a this resort was top notch, there was no waiting in lines to eat at the restaurant. We used the spa 3 out of the 4 days we were there it was perfect!

We will be returning 8/2012 and will stay in the same area this time in a room with a rooftop deck, can't wait!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Txforyou
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Stayed at EPM from 11 May - 18 May. This was not my first time with Excellence Resorts and they still rate higher than my other AI experiences. Did not purchase the Excellence Club until arrival and initially was assigned building 7B in a great room with water view but an incident led us to upgrading to EC. We had read and eventually met plenty of couples that were not enamored with their EC room facing the Lobster House and therefore wanted to view the location before paying for the upgrade. Our oceanview room was in building 8 directly facing the EC pool and bar--and had a good view of activities at The Beloved. We were able to hear/view a rocking wedding celebration/reception held on 12 May--beach activities and music lasted until midnight but we just rocked to the music while others may not have been as amused. I recommend that you have a good idea of the buildings layout, what you desire (close to action or quiet) and place a request via email before forking over the funds for the EC at EPM. Met many couples who stated they were upgraded to EC for free.

One issue that I had is that some members of the staff seemed selective to divulge the availability of certain rooms. We were informed by one staff member that a location we desired would be ready later that afternoon--it appeared on reception's list as being available for assignment. However, 30 minutes later another person denied the room being available and stated only rooms facing the Lobster House were available until we questioned them on the availability of the specific room-then yes it was available. Overall the staff did not come across as friendly as other Excellence resorts--greetings were not freely offered upon meeting or passing. We were not "Welcomed Home" with cool towel and champagne on arrival, nor upon our return from a day trip--oh well didn't spoil our vacation, just an observation. The exception being housekeeping and the bellmen delivering luggage who were exceptional in the important aspects.

Bars - When ordering top shelf brands at the Martini Bar we were questioned as to our EC status. This did not occur at other resorts so not sure if this is a new policy. I also think they should have a few more bartenders at the Martini bar. Sangria, the bartender in the EC club, was our favorite and made the best drinks. Although I must say Excellence Resorts makes the best Mojitos out of any place we've stayed. We walked over to The Beloved to purchase a special bottle of wine and found the retail liquor store there with quite a selection and fair pricing equal to Duty Free at the airport. You can access it easily by exiting EPM from the reception area and walking down to the entrance gate.

Food- Subjective of course, but we enjoyed the Breakfast buffet and Basmati the most. Romantic dinner was good although the weather did not allow it to be held on the beach. Also some items were apparently substituted for others but it wasn't a deal breaker. We only had chips and dip once at Lobster House/The Grill so no opinion if they are now cutting corners. I think where ERC excels over EPM is in the Maitre'd control of the wait staff and the level of engagement with customers by the restaurant service personnel. Seating for breakfast was a bit strange for us. We were often directed away from the main breakfast restaurant to another area used for breakfast and assigned a table as far away from the buffet as possible when there were many empty tables, especially since we tend to eat very early.

Tipping- We tend to tip but it certainly doesn't matter on the level of service you will be provided, so I guess that is a good thing. Housekeeping was extremely appreciative of tips and accommodated all requests that were made.

We took the ferry to Isle Mujeres for a day trip and also toured the hotel and marina next door. I think we will always choose EPM rather than The Beloved. We can't take a chance that the wonderful bathroom shower/water pressure will be the same. We also didn't favor the casitas over an EPM oceanview room.

Miscellaneous- Air conditioner worked great and cooled rooms even on high floors with a lot of sun. Mini Bar great and our special requests accommodated with ease. I think the MJ show is overrated but if you don't have other plans it is entertaining.

Overall, we had a great time and was able to relax with a few caveats.

Room Tip: Building 7B offers some water view rooms without the Excellence Club price. Bldg 8 with room numbers 8x64 run parallel with the beach.
9  Thank ebonybee
Reviewed 26 May 2012

This was our second trip to Excellence Playa Mujeres and we have been to Excellence Riviera Maya once. You don't have to read many reviews to understand that this is a beautiful resort with wonderful service. The food, the cocktails, the spa - all of it is fantastic.
To us, there are significant differences between the two Excellence resorts in the Cancun area, so I will try to give info that might help someone decide between the two.
Excellence Playa Mujeres is about 20 minutes north of Cancun and has these benefits:
1. Larger patios with very comfortable day beds.
2. Close proximity to the Isla Mujeres express ferry.
3. Relative privacy on the beach.
4. Long stretch of undeveloped beach front to the north.

You do NOT want to walk south as you will run into the area where all the beach detritus has been plowed - a big stinky mess of rotting seaweed. There is a dock for fairly large yachts behind a long span of concrete that looks like interlocking jacks. It's a nice place to watch sea birds, but only once you're past the sea weed pile.

Excellence Riviera Maya, about 20 minutes south of Cancun has these benefits:
1. Clearer water without the pinestraw-like seaweed all over the beach.
2. A busier, more vibrant locale.
3. Proximity to snorkeling, Puerto Morelos.
4. Proximity to Cozumel.

If you want seclusion, the luxury of day beds on the patio, a quiet getaway - I would choose Playa Mujeres. If you are a beach lover, want to be in the ocean, want to be around more people - I would choose Riviera Maya.
The impeccable service, the pools, the great restaurants are the same at both - they even have the same names. I love these places and would happily return to either one right now!

15  Thank Jill M
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Just returned from 7 days in the sun and sand. If you are looking for a nice break to rejuvenate your mind, body and spirit this is a good place to start. I had a roof top terrace, well worth it for me because I like having the privacy of my own little world. I was able to go to the rooftop everyday and enjoy my plunge pool for hours. I would watch the beautiful sunsets, while sipping on a glad of wine or a nice cold corona.

After breakfast, I would take a wall on the beach. I found myself sitting on the plunge pool more than walking the beach or lounging by the pool. The pool looked beautiful and felt like bath water the day I stuck my foot in the water to tested it.

The staff, grounds and service at this resort was EXCELLENT, always friendly, well kept and very accommodating. I even got room service at the rooftop level, while sitting on my plunge pool, did I tell you I love that pool.

.....Things they can improve on or just do little better....

I was in the 7000 building, right next to the main ENTERTAINMENT. If you are planning on sleeping, watching TV, listening to your own music (without headphone) or just conversing with anyone in the room between 7pm and 11pm, forget about it. The noise level was ridiculous, the room was not soundproof, so this force you to be part of something you didn't want to take part in every single evening. Good thing the music was decent, but my vacation was about relaxing. I've stayed at several places in Mexico, rooms were soundproof.

The rooftop terrace should have a little shadowed area. I had to hang towels over the wooden beans to create some shadow. It would also be nice to have some extra towels in the room to take up to the terrace, to avoid taking your bath towels from the room. Each day I would go downstair and get 2 towels from the pool area, so I it worked out in the end.

Over all I had a great time. I would definitely return and would suggest this place to friends and family.

3  Thank ThirtyThousandFeet
Reviewed 26 May 2012

I just returned from a seven day stay at Excellence (May 19 - May 25). This was my first visit to this property, but I've been to Cancun several times. We had the two-story rooftop with private plunge pool. I loved this. I was in room 7408 - which was great for seeing the sunset, but not so great when it came to some of the nighttime entertainment (if you were trying to sleep). I could hear the performers as if they were sitting out on the terrace (seriously). But it wasn't too bad. The grounds are beautiful and pictures of the room look just like the website. The food and drinks were great too! Room service will set up your meal on the terrace, inside or on the rooftop. I didn't get the Excellence Club, but I still had an excellent time!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends