“Coming Home”

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Reviewed 4 July 2012

My wife and I returned to EPM 12 - 26 Jun to celebrate our 4th wedding anniversary. We were married at EPM in June 2008 so we were really looking forward to returning and we were not disappointed.
We had a fabulous time when we were married and our experience this time was even better. EPM has gone from strength to strength and improved in a number of areas. They have made some innovative changes such as the inclusion of the Basmati restaurant, the different food on offer on the beach at lunchtimes and the latest change, the pizza oven.

We had a room in Bldg 8 which gave us a great view of the sea and across to the island. We were not allocated this room initially but after requesting a change we were moved within 24 hours. The resort itself is beautiful with the gardens well established and colourful. The bars are well stocked and you want for nothing. The restaurants are first class and the food is excellent, I can honestly say that we did not have a meal that we were dissatisfied with. As this was our anniversary we were made to feel really special and not just on the anniversary day itself

The jewel in the crown for EPM is the staff. From the time we arrived with the cool towel, glass of fizz and the "Welcome Home" to the time we regrettably had to leave, at no time did we encounter anyone who did not have a smile and a cheery "hola". Nothing was too much trouble for them and they set the standards for customer service. I think this was summed up on the days when the English soccer team were playing in EURO 2012, the kick off for the three games we attended was at 1345. The Entertainment Manager had arranged seating, beers and even small eats on offer and also provided waiters to ensure nothing ran out, they even monitored the satellite signals to ensure we had the best picture on offer. A BIG THANK YOU on behalf of all the British football fans.

The management team were always visible and very approachable, none more so than the overall Manager, Virginia and the Guest Services Manager, Mariana, a personal thank you to you both, you are doing a fantastic job. A couple of thank you's - Adan, the Excellence Club Pool Bar, we miss the Adan Blue Specials, the Pool Concierge Carolina and Alejandra and lastly to Vilma Montalvo, Concierge Lobby, thank you for arranging everything for us

This was our 7th time at Excellence resorts and you have raised the bar once again making it very diificult to chose anywhere else. We will definitely return

6  Thank greygooseman
There are newer reviews for Excellence Playa Mujeres

Reviewed 4 July 2012

There are very limited reviews comparing Secrets Maroma and Excellance Playa Mujeres. Both always have great reviews and my wife and i just came home from staying at both, splitting a weeks vacation.

Of note, we stayed at EPM 2 years ago and had a RTT in building 8. We absolute loved it and loved the RTT. Some reviews indicate that they did not use the RTT, but in our case we love the privacy and although we only spent a hour or two up there each day the lounge beds and pool are great!!! That being said i asked again to be in building 8 prior to arrival and was given the room 8405 which was directly next door to our room from the first stay!

EPM again lived up to ALL expectations with Great food, drinks and service. The rooms are spatious, clean and now have a fully stocked liquor area in addition to the usual beer, cokes, etc. No upgrade needed.

Our Secrets room was a first floor walk out with pool access. I will admit that we were not given the choicest room as we were directly accross from the stairs and elevator area in building 2. It was very loud and you could hear everyone who walked by VERY clearly. Sadly this probably jaded our review but it was what it was. The room was very clean, very comfortable bed, and well done bathroom area. Not a great sitting area though and the walk out to the pool was essentially beside the room to the left and right. Realy no privacy.

Comparing the two: Ease of getting to: tie; 3o min to Secrets from airport , 35 to EPM. We do Cancun Transfers and they are great.

Lobby check in: Winner EPM. Bigger, quicker check in. Cold towel both places.
Grounds: both nice. EPM is bigger but smaller beach. Secrets has nicer beach but grounds were less impressive
Pools: EPM. Everything you want. Crowds around water bar if that is your thing or secluded if you want it. Multiple pool hammocks. floaties. shade area so you dont get scorched.
Secrets pool was nice just seemed much smaller, louder, and little area to find a shade spot.

Beach: Secrets: Cleaner water, whiter beach. Much bigger more room. EPM always gets criticized for the sea grass which was present this time but seemed far less than 2 years ago. You can easily walk at both.

Food: tie. Never had a bad meal at either. Breakfast buffet maybe a bit bigger at secrets. still a tie.

Staff: Great at both. Seemed to be more attentive at Secrets to keep the drinks flowing but maybe that was where we sat at the beach and pool. We Tip consistently at both but I witnessed more tipping at Secrets than EPM.

Night Life: Probably better at Secrets overall but Michael Jackson show at EPM (thursday) is a must see.

Overall : EPM a 9.5 Secrets a 8.8

Final thoughts: RTT at EPM puts it in a class by itself. Nothing compares.. Wound NEVER do a swim out again (anywhere). Wish the beds were a LITTLE more comfortable at EPM, very hard and actually made my back sore. Secrets definately wins concerning bed comfort. That being said I will accept a average nights sleep for the luxury that EPM provides. Will be back as soon as we can save enough $$$. Nothing is cheap :)))

Room Tip: RTT in any building
8  Thank perry1989
Reviewed 3 July 2012

My husband and I just got back form Excellence in PM. I have to say this was the best vacation I ever had. We celebrated our 14th wedding anniversary and now we are planning on going back for our 15th. The service was outstanding....the waiters, the concierge, the room service, even Yeni who was a part of the entertainment, she was just fabulous. Also Martha who was at the spa, she made our visit so wonderful, we were so relaxed the whole time. We also enjoyed everyone that stayed at the resort. Very friendly, we met a couple from England who got engaged there and are planning on having their wedding at the resort. Also we found very interesting how many people keep going back to the resort, one couple it was their 7th year. The restaurants were very very nice. We ate at the Lobster restaurant and my husband asked for an extra lobster.....they gave it to him without any problems. The french restaurant Chez Isabelle was my favorite, the best french onion soup!!!
We can not wait for next year!!!!! Our travel agent is working on it for us!!!
Thanks to everyone at Excellence PM!!!!

4  Thank Otiv1126
Reviewed 3 July 2012

My husband i arrived here recently and are enjoying every minute of our royal treatment as guests at the Excellence. We are staying in the excellence suite that is breathtaking. The roof top pool and day beds make the room worth getting. All of our food and drinks have been great. The brick oven pizza is a must poolside. So glad we chose to stay here.:)

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank max623
Reviewed 3 July 2012 via mobile

My husband and I have just returned from 2 weeks at this beautiful resort.

When I was obsessively researching this resort before our stay, I was only interested in the "issues" people had to say about it. So, instead of ranting on about all the wonderful aspects of the place, which everyone has previously done so, I will get to the nitty gritty and get straight to those "issues".

The bathroom - As previously stated, yes, the toilet is a bit of an oddity. My husband and I are far from prudish but even we struggled with the lack of privacy in this department and spent our time respectfully on the balcony when the other needed that privacy.
This is the only way to get around this issue and be sure to bring a can of airfreshner with you and you'll be fine. I went through a bottle of perfume!

Hot Tub - Yes, the water runs through orange; even after daily usage, this did not change. I didn't feel the hot tub in general was very clean as there was a lot of lime scale around the filters also, but this didn't stop us using it. It depends how fussy you are.

Location- This is the only thing really letting the resort down. It is very isolated. If you are planning excursions be prepared to travel a long way! It is roughly 30/40 mins to the center of Cancun and 1hr 45mins to the Riviera Maya. Chitchen Itza is apparently 2hr 30mins (the reason why we didn't go). The excursions we did book (horse riding, Xcaret and the Cancun bar crawl) were all massive disappointments and were the only thing that really disappointed our holiday. We wish we hadn't left the resort in honesty, but as aforementioned, if you do, expect to pay expensive travel fares and long distances.

Sickness- both myself and my husband had stomach issues whilst in Mexico, as did the majority of the people we spoke too. This is not something I blame the hotel for. The hotel is very clean and obvious methods are made to maintain health and safety standards and hygiene. The issue is Mexico. It is renouned for giving people travellers tummy; like Egypt. Make sure you stock up on medication before travelling and it won't ruin your holiday.

So really, despite the location everything else is small and it has not stopped me rating this hotel 5* and recommending it to friends. All the good things people have reported about the resort are true, it's otherwise exceptional.

• Stayed: June 2012
7  Thank EamaneEldendil
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We were at EPM June 23-30, and the hotel was at about 75% occupancy. We did not have the issues others reported of having trouble finding chairs at the pool or beach. Overall the resort was great and the food at most restaurants was good.

I really recommend Flavor Market (the blue cheese filet was great), along with the hibachi tables. Only restaurant I didnt care for was the french restaurant. We didnt get to try Agave or The Grill for dinner (it was too hot to want to sit outside for dinner anyway).

We splurged and went for the Excellence club room with roof top terrace. The view was amazing in 6468, however we didn't get our moneys worth with the RTT. Typically it was too hot during the day (as their was no shade on the RTT) to get its use, and we had more fun at the poolside bar. The pool in the RTT was also quite dirty and would fill up with bugs....the jets in it made so much noise that they were impossible to enjoy.

If we do return, I would still get an excellence club room for the view and upgraded mini bar, but would not get the RTT again.

I found that one of the perks of the excellence club is that Don Julio Anejo is available...but only in the excellence lounge (which has no view, and its not the place you want to sit and have drinks). I asked to have a bottle delivered to my room, but only Repsodo is available. Some restaurants had it and others did not. I actually made them deliver a bottle to the Martini Bar, and the bartender would instantly poor a shot at my arrival each night before dinner. Once he was moved to another bar, I had no luck getting Anejo again.

One of my only other complaints is long pants are required for men at the restaurants at night (they actually refused to sit me otherwise). Considering how hot it is in mid June, I find this a bit ridiculous (seriously its impossible not to sweat at this resort, even while inside). I think dress shorts should be acceptable.

Our bed in the room was entirely uncomfortable, so they did add a pillowtopper at our request. Our fan also had one speed (Super Slow), which didnt help since the room temperature felt like it never went below 80.

Overall the service at the resort was great and the Spa was amazing. We did the 110 min couples masage day 1, and had to go back for another on the 4 day. Becuase it was our anniversary (must prove it with marriage certificate), they gave us a couples massage for free on our final day. They also gave us a private dinner on the beach....Food was the worst of any meal we had at excellence, but the atmosphere and ambiance of the private dinner made up for it.

For anyone who is going to EPM, be aware the humidity is killer. On the first day I left the balcony door open for about 10 minutes and the humidity fogged up all the glass and mirrors in the room....along with the marble floors. My feet went straight out from under me and I fell directly on my back. Thankfully it didnt hurt me too bad and ruin the trip.

The room maid did quite a job twice each day. Each time she cleaned it was if we had never been in the room before.

Overall, I would recommend this resort as the grounds were beautiful, service was great, and I don't think you could feel any safer in Mexico than at EPM.

7  Thank Mike J
Reviewed 2 July 2012

we spent 3 days at the excellence after a week in Playacar Palace with 27 of our family/friends for a wedding. The Excellence was a welcome treat. It was so quite and peaceful (we stayed away from the pool games) and the staff was nice and friendly. The food was ok - the lobster house is the best.

The Spa was super!

we had a rooftop pool and forced ourselves to use it to justify the money spent - we prob won't book one of those again. the pools are wonderful and there are plenty of places to find privacy. Also the swim up suites aren't that great. they have grass in front of them and you have to walk to the closest pool steps to get in...not the best location either.

Room Tip: we had a rooftop pool and forced ourselves to use it to justify the money spent - we prob won't...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#7 of 176 in Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!