“Another Perfect Vacation at EPM”

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Reviewed 19 September 2012

This was my husband's and my third visit to EPM. We love everything about this resort, especially that it is adults only. It is peaceful, beautiful, clean, and has just about any amenity that one could ask for. The staff is wonderful; although gratuities are included, please tip these hard-working people. They deserve it!
We stayed for two weeks; the first week was over the US Labor Day weekend, when the resort was reportedly at capacity. It never felt crowded anywhere; there were always sufficient palapas, restaurant seating, and pool areas.
There are people of all ages and nationalities. If you are looking for a very special, peaceful place to vacation, this is for you. Note: if you are looking for a party resort, keep looking because this is not it. During our stay, there was one group of guests who decided that they would have a wild, loud party in the open area of their suite. After the second day, they were removed from the resort. Security is excellent.
Pros:
- Lots of covered sunbeds, even at the busiest times of day
- Seemingly acres of water, including a Lazy River
- 9 a la carte restaurants: we especially loved the Indian and French
- 10 bars: top shelf liquour, just about anything that you could want. They make the best Margarita Azul!
- Really good pool/beach service for drinks and food. On most afternoons, attendants with food carts came around the pools with offerings such as pasta, tacos, etc. There is also a covered area on the beach that had various lunch offerings.
- Personal pizzas made in a brick oven at Sol Bar
- Free wireless Internet everywhere, plus a computer room/library
- Peace and quiet. (The main pool with pool bar is typically more active/noisy; if you want quiet, move to another pool area.)
- No children under 18
- Beautiful beach with only one other hotel in the immediate area, so no salespeople or beggars
- Well-tended grounds
- Excellent staff - polite, friendly, attentive, and knowledgeable in their area.
- Well-equipped gym with 5 treadmills, plus ellipticals, stair-steppers, weights, etc. There are showers, bathrooms, etc. in the exercise/yoga room next door.
- Windsurfers, Hobie Cats, and kayaks are available on the beach at no charge.
- Nightly entertainment at 7 and 9:30. Live bands and singers are at 7PM at Cafe Kafe. 9:30PM shows are in the Theater. We especially enjoyed the Michael Jackson and Madonna shows. There is some later entertainment, usually at Alegria Bar, but we were never able to stay awake for that.
Cons: None that we can think of!

Room Tip: Every room that we have had was great, although we prefer a room closer to the main areas, which wou...
6  Thank Karin M

Reviewed 18 September 2012

We had stayed in February 2012. We had a really nice room, oceanfront, honeymoon suite.
Room = Excellent. No complaints. Comfortable bed, huge shower (although not all knobs worked but enough did), very clean. We were told that we would get in to restaurants without any problems when we checked in, however, the Japenese restaurant, Spice, demanded that we had to go to the restaurant, at a certain time to make reservations for that night we had wanted to dine. We did have a private check, included with the room charge, however, when we checked out, no one was there to do it so we had to check out at the front desk. I just felt with the money we had paid (approx. $6,500 for 7 days), they should of lived up to their advertisement regarding private check in and check out. It doesn't cost them anything to do that.
Restaurants = Would like the resort to relax a bit regarding men having to wear long pants. Come on... this is the tropics and everyone is on vacation. No one cares if one wears shorts to the restaurants! Food was ok. Could be worse. Could be better. Service was very good, except for the fact that a server had told us we were getting our meal "for free" . That was really bothersome. We always tipped, too. Substantially, I may add.
Beach = Too small an area for the preferred club. Staff was excellent. We didn't use the "preferred club beach" most of the time.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Reeve B
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We spent a week here to celebrate our anniversary, traveling with my sister and her hubby, aslo celebrating an aniversary, Sept. 9-16. Although our travel agent requested it, they did not honor our room requests, just the building 7 request. We were in 7152 and 7153. The lobby and the grounds are absolutely gorgeous, and well maintained. We never saw trash anywhere or a thing out of place. Our check-in took way too long. 20 minutes sitting around the lobby waiting for somebody to get the bellman. When he finally took our luggage to the room,we waited another 15 minutes for him to deliver it. WHERE was he? Turns out he delivered somebody else's luggage first, even though he was right behind us. My husband was so mad he didn't tip him. We were tired and hungry from traveling all day which didn't help. The rooms are very nice but we didn't pay to upgrade to an ocean view so we understand it's only a request not a guarantee. The rooms look just like the pictures, spacious and well appointed with all the amenities. We loved the huge shower. The downside was, we could never get the temperature in the room to feel comfortable.The A/C was cranked so low it was freezing, and it didn't respond when we changed the thermostat. We then opened the patio door to warm it up a bit, and within minutes everything was covered with moisture. I did report it, and they told me to shut the door. Needless to say it was like sleeping in damp sheets every night to stay warm, or wearing flannels and extra blankets to keep warm. This was the worst part. I wish I could have slept outside on the patio bed, but it was too noisy in building 7. Honestly I didn't get a good night's sleep the whole week. You can hear all the entertainment going on. The bathroom thing wasn't bothersome to us, but I can see how it may bother some people; it's a frosted glass door that swings open and closed, and you can pretty much see and hear everything. Enough said. The jacuzzi in our room didn't work but they sent somebody to fix it within 30 minutes. Overall we enjoyed the drinks and food, especially Toscana at breakfast and lunch. The buffet was so varied and tasty we ate there every morning. The meat at The Grill is tough and inedible. The only other problem we had was the veal at Barcelona. Too thick and rubbery. The coffee drink made at the end of the meal is yummy - worth the wait. Ask for it. The french restaurant had a nice anniversary dessert for us and a bottle of wine. We did the bike tour which was really just a short, easy ride down a bike path and a walk up the tower for a view of Cancun.We also did the kayak tour which was harder than it looked. We paddled all the way out to the sunken ship for a look. Speaking of working out, be prepared, the gym is HOT. In fact, most everywhere in the resort is overheated (except our room!). We went to the disco one night and tried to dance but ended up leaving because it was so humid in there. We reported this to the night manager at the front desk. He said he would look into it, but they obviously have a problem in that building, because when we returned two nights later to try and dance again, it smelled of mold and mildew...and it was empty. There isn't much to do at night, except go to dinner and watch the shows, which are hit or miss. Everyone starts heading back to the rooms after that or before 11 pm. We found that boring night after night. Wished there was a real casino nearby or someplace we could dance. Nothing is close enough to walk to by the way. It's a 30 minute cab ride to Cancun, which we did once. My sister got a pedicure in the spa and said they didn't have proper pedicure chairs, you just lay back with a towel behind you, All four of us did the hydrotherapy. Some liked it; it was just strange to me. They put ice on your head, then you sit in a hot steam room, then you plunge into cold, then hot water, back and forth, hot and cold, etc. Not for everyone. We brought our own blow up inner tubes to use in the lazy river. The pools were cleaned every morning and the perfect temperature. We swam in all the pools, some are lively and others are very quiet. Since I work in the entertainment industry, I feel compelled to mention this: The entertainment at the resort is pretty lame. We expected much better for a high quality resort. The bands are basically a few singers playing sequences and singing to them, with a drum machine playing in the background, or maybe a bass player playing along with the recording. And they aren't even good recordings. Pathetic. Come on EPM, hire some real musicians that actually know how to play their instruments! Most people looked disinterested and few danced. Perhaps some guests would stay up later if there was something exciting to do! The staff does try hard to take care of you, especially Edgar, we had a lot of fun with him playing pool volleyball. On our last night they had an awesome Mexican Fiesta celebration for Independance Day. Overall we had a wonderful week. We tried to overlook the issues and still enjoyed our anniversary trip.

Room Tip: if you want quiet evenings, stay away from the main buildings around the lobby..
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We stayed at Excellence Playa Mujeres for our honeymoon at the beginning of September. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed the resort. In my opinion I thought the food was top notch. If you asked my husband it was subpar, so I guess it will depend on your preferences. The breakfasts were by far mine and my husband's favorite meal at the resort. The breakfast buffet was always well stocked, fresh and had many choices. The staff at breakfast were always very pleasant as well. For lunch we usually went back to the buffet. They also had a great variety of food to choose from. Two of our favorite dinner spots were the Lobster House and the French restaurant. We do not recommend the Italian restaurant, Tascosa, were both equally disappointed in our dinner and service there. The only show we made it to during the trip was to the Michael Jackson show. We highly recommend this show, it was excellent.
Overall I gave the resort a 4 out of 5 stars. I think it accommodates both old and young however as a young couple we started to become a little bored the last two days. I think more young, fun day activities would have improved that. We did not do any excursions as they seemed a little expensive and other couples at the resort had told us they were not very exciting, though looking back I wish we had. One complaint I would have is in the bed. It was a very firm bed and I did not sleep well most nights because of it. I am used to a soft pillow top bed so it may have just been a big change for me. One compliment I would like to give excellence is that 99% of their staff is very friendly and treat their guests well. This was very refreshing! The grounds were also impeccable and constantly maintained. Advice for future guests: bring tip money! We brought about a $100 and spent it all. $150 would have been best to bring. They do have an ATM in the lobby however it charges a $4 fee and our bank charges us also. Also, make sure to bring sunscreen! We brought ours however I accidentally packed the low coverage kind. When we went into the gift shop to buy a better kind it was priced at $30 american dollars. Needless to say we just made do with the kind we brought. It was also very humid, you will sweat a lot! I didn't wear much make up most of the trip since it was pointless. We will definitely be back to Excellence, however we will probably try another resort just for a new experience. Thank you for making our honeymoon memorable!

3  Thank Jaminycricket
Reviewed 18 September 2012

A large group of us went for a friends wedding and stayed for 2 weeks. The hotel and staff were amazingly friendly and helpful and we had a superb time. This is a truely 5 star resort with most things inlcuded. A large choice of restaurants and bars where the service was variable. Our biggest complaint is that despite us all being together for a friends wedding in almost all of the restaurants we were unable to sit together. It seems a little strange that in a known wedding location the restaurants seem unable to cater for large groups. The breakfast and lunch buffets were out of this world. We got to know some of the staff well and were very attentive including Gustavo and Marisa.
So the only down sides were not being able to all eat together and the very loud Americans, but hey you can't have everything!

Room Tip: We were in Block 7 which had great views and was central to the main area, however if you are lookin...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We loved the resort. Everyone That worked there was so nice and welcoming. They really catered to your every need. Not really a place to go if you're single, as it is very couples-oriented. Overall, it was great! I have recommended it to everyone I have talked to since we got home!

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2012

We had a destination wedding there in July 2012..we had 46 people there for at least four days (some were there for a week). The resort was phenomenal! The service and friendliness of the entire staff was something that I only thought was possible in dreams (or for the filthy rich). We were always treated like royalty. The food and drinks were great. I had a swim up room in the Excellence club and I loved the proximity to the pools and restaurants. This resort was great for couples as well. Many of our guests parlayed this trip into a romantic time away and had spa services (which were incredible). The nightlife was fun but honestly, I had so much fun during the day, I couldn't stay up that late! Our wedding (my daughter's actually) was breathtaking!! All the details were perfect. I highly recommend this place for your destination wedding! All inclusive is certainly the way to go. We are so going back next year!

Room Tip: all of the rooms are exactly the same except it seemed like the two queen bed rooms were more tucked...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Le Blanc Spa Resort
Le Blanc Spa Resort
#1 of 177 in Cancun
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!