“I wish we never had to go home!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Excellence Playa Mujeres

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Charlotte
“I wish we never had to go home!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

We just got back from a 5 day family trip. Each one of us absolutely loved this vacation. It is truly top notch. The grounds are lush and scattered with beautiful sculptures. The rooms are beautifully appointed and exceptionally clean! We were in buildings 3 and 7. While 7 is closer to the main area- building 3 was nice and quiet. And after the wonderful meals we welcomed a little walk to our room. Both were great! Service throughout the hotel is outstanding. Everyone that works at this resort is so pleasant. Should you need to call the concierge for anything , you will get a call to make sure everything was taken care of the way you desire. You can do as much or as little as you want to do. This place has something for everyone.We spent New Years there and I can not believe they were able to orchestrate such an elaborate evening with so many people. It was the best New Years I have ever had. I want to be back napping in the pool beds, having a drink at the martini bar and having dinner every night at The Lobster House.

Room Tip: Buildings 3-7 are convenient and quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank carolinaexplorer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,993)
  • Korean first
Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

I am quite suprised by two of the reviews below mine which complain about the food and the pools being too cold. Here is our version of the resort.

1. Staff and service were superb! Everyone was friendly and professional. They seemed to realize that they were working in a top notch resort and loved it. Maria from Kafé Kafé was awesome, an absolute delight, as were Heidi and Blanca! Our "Queen" Elizabeth would be looking after our well being, checking which restaurants we had been going to and which we liked best as well as what other things we liked or disliked about the resort. So they were making sure that the resort lived up to it reputation and high standards. Eric the resorts assistant manager was also a pleasure to meet and I did get to see all the awards (lots) that the resort has won since opening which are not on display to the general public. The maintenance staff were always on the go.

2. We loved our room, 8303 facing one of the pool, with hamocks directly in front and an oceanview where you could see Isla Mujeres. The balcony is very spacious! and the room is beautiful. The door to the toilet is frosted but only a large rectangular area on the door (so you could see in or out if your partner was in the room, just send them to the balcony! Loved having fancy drinks brought up to our room as we were dressing for the night and food served (the only thing that I didn't care for were the enchiladas but only because of the corn flour that was used in them) when our evening came to an end. Speaking of rooms, I recommend a non-excellence room on the floors higher up as I rarely saw people sitting outside their swim-ups probably due to lack of privacy.

3. Across from us was the lobby which housed the majority of restaurants; Spice (yummy), Basmati (wow! had there food outdoors at a special 1001 Nights show at Kafé Kafé, Mexican which we had at another outdoor show at the same bar! and you'd be amazed and how they really get into decorating for a theme night. Romantic was one way to describe the Lobster House which was perches on different levels over one of the main pools and we both loved our meals. Someone complained of a foul smell coming from the beach but that can 't be true unless this person has feline capibiities! I did hear from our British friends, who went for a long walk to the lighthouse that it did smell near the Beloved and they wondered how the people could use the beach area there. From our room you could also see the back of Kafé Kafé and the theatre but by the time a theatre show started we were in a restaurant or elsewhere. Besides theme nights at Kafé Kafé they also had fire dancers shows and live band performances. Our favourite was Claudia Trevino, a pop singer along the lines of Adele, and Sarah MacLachlan. She appears to be on the verge of breaking onto the scene bigtime.

4. The pools were fine! Our British friends,who we arranged to meet, after meeting at Secrets Maroma Beach two years ago, recommended a quick cool shower before the plunge. Once you're in the pool you can stay for quite awhile. It was quite pleasant. Apparently they are heated in the winter months. It was an average high of 82F and one afternoon of slight rain while we were there.

5. The Beach! Well, we've heard so much about seagrass that I was so suprised to see very little of it!! the depth of the beach is not a big as Secrets Maroma's beach but they have so much more going on. Constant theme lunches grab some pizza at the pool bar just behind you (lots of variety) occasional pop/rock bands, watersports, volleyball and the water was just perfect!!! I am more of beach person than a pool person and I was sure that I was going to be a bit disappointed but with everything going on and the great water I was quite surprised.

6. Tolerance. This resort appeals to people of all races and sexual orientations. Everyone gets along quite well. It's very easy to strike up conversations! My same-sex male parnter and I do not flaunt out sexual orientation and seemed to hit it off with all sorts of people who of course knew anyway. The resort also has a strict rule of no quarrelling or misbehaviour of any type. Apparently your vacation can be ended by that. Says it on the door I believe.

So go the resort expecting an average five star resort with a mediocre beach and you'll have a wonderful time and you'll be doing what we're doing now. Trying to figure out how to top it.

Enjoy!

My

Room Tip: 8303 views of pools, ocean, Isla Mujeres, the theatre, Kafé Kafé and you're close to the beach...
7 Thank KaysarOttawa
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

This year my husband and I planned two beach vacations with the intent of trying out 1) an all inclusive resort and 2) a not all inclusive resort. We typically get an oceanfront condo or house somewhere but wanted to try out a less effort-intensive vacation by trying a resort where more is onsite for your convenience and there are more services (like restaurants, bars, no cooking, no driving required, etc.).

We chose two places to try based on these criteria: adults only, oceanfront, fairly high-end, and probably in the caribbean. And in the same total price range per day.

We chose Excellence Playa Mujeres in Cancun, Mexico (all inclusive) and Bucuti & Tara in Aruba (not all inclusive). This review includes some comparisons, so now you have the backstory of why. If you're interested, cross-reference my reviews on both resorts. I'm reviewing both in great detail because I did extensive research and still some things were unknown to me, going in.

Booking
I booked a Excellence Club Rooftop Terrace about 5 or 6 months in advance. I used a carribbean-resort-specific travel agent that I found on TA because I'd read that agents actually have influence over getting special requests filled, more so than if an individual just books online. And that way, she'd also arrange the private transfer and trip insurance, and get me a slightly better price.

Check-in
The process was very friendly and everyone wore headsets to communicate in a very quiet way so that for instance, the Excellence Club concierge could magically welcome us by name after being walked there by a porter.

They didn't put us in either building I requested (via the agent), 9 or 8b. But I didn't figure that out until we got to our room, and by that point wasn't sure if I was in the requested building or not, because the map they show you at check in has both 9 and 9a buildings called #9 and both 8 and 8b buildings called #8. And because of the weird numbering/lettering scheme I couldn't remember which was which to catch the problem earlier. So, our RTT was in a short building, with a just OK view, overlooking the busy hooting/hollering patrons pool, not in a tall building away from pool-level noise. If I did it again I'd demand building 8b because it's taller with a better view, quieter theoretically, and the pool for 8/8b has a bar (the pool for 9/9a was nice and quiet but bar service to that pool was sparse).

Room
The room was very nice and felt pretty lux except for the hard bed, and the living room furniture had strange upholstery, like it was outdoor furniture, and wasn't all that comfortable with unwieldy pillows that slid around (because of the type of upholstery).

The patio beds were great although we didn't enjoy the regular patio as much as I had hoped because of the noise, imperfect view and the way the sun hit in the morning/afternoon made it boiling hot. We did enjoy the RTT--a little higher up improved the noise level and the view (glass balcony wall), but some people in building 9 could look down on us. We used it mostly at night to avoid too much sun.

They didn't have a mattress topper on our bed in advance (a request made via travel agent)--I requested it because I know I won't do well on a hard bed, which was mentioned frequently in other TA reviews. They brought it in a timely fashion but had to completely undo the setup of anniversary rose petals and such.

I ordered feather bed pillows twice. Each time, the pillows they sent smelled terrible and were unusable. I didn't get around to complaining and figured that if 2 shipments were bad, the rest would be too.

The closet seems big until you actually try to put your clothes and beach gear and empty suitcases in there. Kind of tight but adequate.

They need to label the light switches. It was hard to figure out how to control lights and fans.

The bathroom was pretty nice with double sinks and a huge shower with a rain shower head, a handheld shower and a seat. There was also a clothes line in there but it was barely effective for drip-drying swimsuits due to lack of airflow through the shower. I'm not sure why beachy places never have good places to dry your suits. The glass WC door was a bit odd but ultimately not a problem.

The big bottles of liquor were nice but ultimately, probably wasteful. We like our cocktails and thought we'd work through a good bit of it but we only made a dent in a couple bottles and didn't open 1 or 2, partly because you had to order mixers (tonic, limes) from room service (just soda doesn't do it for us). Made me wonder what they do with the leftovers; I hope they get used somehow. I was able to have some of the default bottles switched out for things we'd actually drink. The EC concierge has a list of what is available.

We couldn't find a bottle opener for the minibar sodas. We called the concierge who thought the bottles were twist-off but they were most definitely not. We eventually found the bottle opener mounted in the bathroom.

The "do not disturb" key wasn't explained to us and looked almost exactly like a room key and was hidden amongst the bath toiletries so that took a bit to figure out.

Sighhh. We are foodies and I had lowered my expectations and still they were barely met.

Agave: The food was quite good and had interesting things on the menu like huitlacoche (yum) and crickets (which I don't eat but used as an indicator of level of interest). We went there our first night so it set our expectations for all the restaurants, but, in my opinion, it was the best. I just wish the waiter had told us about the special Margarita menu, which we found out about later. The custom Margarita we ordered, made with top shelf ingredients was very good. Very nice atmosphere half-indoor half-outdoor. It was here that we learned that everything came in appetizer size portions, even if they were listed as entrees. I'm not a quantity over quality person, quite the opposite. But there was a learning curve for ordering enough food.

Breakfast: very varied and large spread and custom eggs, scandinavian breakfast (my favorite for hot weather especially) and many other nationalities at the indoor breakfast. The servers had trouble wrapping their heads around the concept of iced coffee though, which was surprising. A la carte breakfast at the Lobster house was ok, a little bland, and my eggs were unexpectedly sunny-side up when portrayed differently on the menu, so just make sure you ask, if you have a strong preference.

Flavor Market: Pretty disappointing. First you are mislead by a giant wall sign listing the menu. Except, it's just for show and the real menu is on a big chalkboard. The fake menu was more interesting. Knowing that portions were small and this was tapas meant we had to order about 10 things to make up the right quantity of food, which was just complicated. The food was pretty below-average. There was something on a crostini where they hadn't bothered to toast or grill the bread in any way so it was something bland on top of a white puck of bread. One plate was olives and they were quite literally spanish cocktail olives--I think the same ones they put in martinis. It was just disappointing, after reading several people mention it as one of the best choices.

Basmati: While there was flavor and variety in some ways, I found the food to be overly heavy on cinnamon. My husband and I each ordered a different tasting menu (thalis, basically). He rated this as his favorite of the restaurants. But my dishes were one note (cinnamon! In Indian food the spices should blend so that you can't pick out individual spices so obviously and the sauces should be different, not all the same).

Mexican night: The first problem was that, by then we had been trained that all tables at the resort were 2-tops. So when they seated us it was at a table of maybe 10 people, we were confused and didn't react quickly enough so had to spend the rest of the meal trying to politely leave (and it was our anniversary! I didn't want to sit with other people); others were also trying to politely escape. Most of the people were perfectly fine human beings. That was just not what I wanted to be doing. I liked the quesadillas with squash blossoms and chorizo (made to order), but everything else was unremarkable or had seafood in it that was just not fresh. The fish at the resort was just not good.

Room Service: Bad chain-restaurant quality. So sad, nachos in mexico shouldn't have velveeta-like cheese on them, should they?

Desserts: the couple of times I ordered dessert it came in the actual format of a bland cake that was a tiny rectangle cut from an enormous sheet cake. It definitely said "institutional quality of food, mass-produced" to me. Not worth the calories.

Bars
I tried to take a mental inventory of the liquor at the Excellence Club lounge bar vs. other bars, both EC and not. There wasn't any difference that mattered to me. There may have been "higher end" vodkas, like maybe Grey Goose, but I don't think that's worth having anyway. I was more interested in good Gins (they only had Tanqueray and Beefeater, which was satisfactory but is our "low end" at home) and Rums (best choice for a mojito was Appleton white, but of course there was a plethora of Bacardi--yuck). I inquired as to whether any single malt scotch could be had at the resort and the EC bartender said no. They made caipirinhas with rum instead of cachaca.

Of course at the regular bars they have a silly menu of tropical drinks that don't bear any resemblance to classics or classic tiki drinks. And the martini bar had a lot of things on it that shouldn't be called martinis. We ordered Beefeater martinis at one of the restaurants, which were nearly undrinkable because you can't put the same ratio of vermouth to Beefeater as you would put with Tanqueray. My expectations for the bartending and ingredients were low and they were met. Fortunately, because it was so hot, we mostly wanted things like mojitos, which they did well, assuming you asked for less than their standard amount of sugar and non-Bacardi rum. The best drinks we had were at Agave (and one really terrible one that claimed to have melon juices but turned out to have melon liqueurs, which I find particularly nasty). If you are a cocktail snob, set your bar low. But you'll live.

The wine list brought on a headache without even ordering any. And the special bottles that cost extra were equivalent to lower end, mass-produced grocery store wine, which I won't touch even on a bad day.

Shows
We walked by the Michael Jackson show to see what it was like. The theater looked great, open-air, filled with comfy chairs. But the few minutes we saw was a lot a projected video and then eventually some dancers that were...just...not...that...good. Kind of embarrassing. We skipped other shows, which happened to be around the time we wanted to eat dinner anyway.

Dress Code
The dress code was moderately enforced. And it varies a little from restaurant to restaurant. In some places nice shorts and "elegant sandals" were ok for men. We saw plenty of instances where people did not meet the criteria but were allowed in. The only time we saw someone turned away they were not wearing any shoes.

Beach/Water
The EC beach, specifically, was great. Most times we were able to get a beach bed where we could read for hours and have Maria bring us drinks constantly. It was great because it was quiet and clean and the service people would set up your bed or chairs with towels for padding and for rolling into neckrolls to make you more comfortable. Not the prettiest seaweed-free beach or clear water but nice to hang out near. Because of the low traffic and having an attendant constantly around, my husband felt like he could leave his iPad on the bed while we went in the water for short bits of time. He didn't feel like he could do that at Bucuti, even though both were technically public beaches and anybody could walk up.

The palapas were great, provided great shade, and were fairly plentiful. I think the week we were there may have been a slow week though. I didn't have trouble finding enough shady spots to hang out.

Clientele
The clientele were respectable, 35-60s, I'd say. A lot of Texans and a lot of Brits. It's just that all the loud party people were in the pool in front of our room. Bucuti had a slightly higher class of people, with none of the loud party types, in my experience.

Spa
Beautiful spa. We had a couples massage (their people had an adequate level of massage training but a spa massage never compares to having a massage therapist who knows your needs from working together regularly). Really expensive but worth getting the husband massaged/relaxed. The hydrotherapy spa circuit was fun and relaxing--make sure you get to your appointment early so you can do it. Ladies, wear a swimsuit made of one piece of fabric as opposed to overlapping top and bottom parts as the bubbles will inflate your suit. I booked our appointments in advance but it turns out that each day there are specials that are pretty good deals so check them each day on the daily bulletin.

I followed the advice of others and brought $200 in singles and fives for tipping (for a week for two people who ordered a lot of cocktails on the beach). I think it was appreciated but have no way to measure the results.

The service was generally excellent. The people were just super nice and always said hello. There seemed to be service people all around in case you needed something and generally easy to access. I liked that when you had a conversation with someone they'd try to introduce you to a new spanish word--very nice touch.

The concierge for our building was almost never in their office. My preference is face-to-face communication because I'm not very comfortable on the phone, especially if I'm trying to understand an accent, even though I speak Spanish pretty well. So I ended up calling for things after walking down to the concierge office or just walking to the concierge in the EC lounge. The one time I caught our concierge I mentioned it and she said she is basically running around getting things done for people all the time so is out a lot (and apologized). When we left our key in the room she brought us up and asked for our ID when we got there. She apologized for having to do that but I was glad that that was the policy (presumably unlike others who had complained about that which caused her to pre-apologize about 3 times).

I liked the feel of the service here compared to Bucuti. Plentiful but not up in your business.

Property
The property, buildings, grounds, pools, beaches were gorgeous and extremely well kept, sort of at the Disney level of magical quality that is mysteriously maintained by fairies during the nights. Speaking of Disney, there was a very Disney quality to the resort, with the cleanliness and fancy landscaping, employees anticipating your needs, never seeing the maids because they knew when we came/went, the overstylized restaurants and pool areas. And where you can feel that there is a massive operation going on behind the scenes, it approaches but doesn't quite reach the level of feeling a bit creepy.

We also found the lack of insects pleasant (also Disney-like), except the last night we were there the constant breeze apparently stopped and I got a lot of mosquito bites while eating dinner outside at Basmati.

Conclusion
Like with my Bucuti review, I've nitpicked a lot, but would give this a 4. I would consider going to another Excellence resort, because I know the beds at EPM are too hard--that's a deal breaker unfortunately because if I can't easily relax and feel good, what is the point? I would recommend this one to others as long as, if they are like me, they know what they're getting into (which is the point of writing this review). I really liked the freedom of going everywhere without your purse, wallet or phone but knowing you'd have everything you need--that was hard to get used to, just walking away at the end of a meal, but I liked it. But my husband and I both agreed that 4 nights here was enough (but note that we didn't do any excursions). And I won't use a travel agent next time because it didn't help me get enough of the important stuff I requested.

Room Tip: Get an oceanfront EC RTT in building 9 or 8b as these are the higher buildings so privacy, view and...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank KC_in_NC
Grand Blanc, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

My husband and I just came back from a week (Dec 26-Jan 2) at the Excellence in Playa Mujeres and have never had such an amazing trip. The first thing that we loved is that this is truly adult-only. This resort caters to couples - it is not a party/spring break type location. We are in our early 30's and like to have a good time, but we did not want a crazy atmosphere. Here are the other pro's and con's that we found:

Pro's:
1. The service is AMAZING! We never had to wait for a drink, a table, or room service. The staff is very friendly and accomodating. They go above and beyond.
2. The grounds are beautiful. They have many pools (the pool bar is a lot of fun). There are many places to hide away and have romance time. The beach is beautiful - it isn't huge, but they maintain it well.
3. The rooms are beautiful! They're all marble and granite. They have huge jacuzzi tubs, great views, and nice furniture. The bed wasn't very comfortable, but it was okay.
4. Despite the reviews from other people, we found the food to be great. We had seafood, steak, pasta, etc. and they were wonderful every time.
5. Make sure to visit Cesar in the Martini Bar and Raoul in Chez Isabella because they were the best bartender and server in the place. The pool bar bartenders are super fun, too.
6. They do not go cheap on the drinks. They DO make them strong! Try an iceberg and a Miami Vice - the best drinks they have!
7. The entertainment was fun. They had a Madonna and Michael Jackson show that were a blast. They also put on one heck of a party for NYE! It is worth going to.
8. If you are honeymooning, make sure to get the package. We had a romantic dinner on the beach, a champagne breakfast and a free massage. They also took extra good care of us in every restaurant!

Con's
1. Make sure you use your Do Not Disturb sign if you want privacy. They will enter many times a day to make your room perfect - but if you want privacy, that can be an issue.
2. We got an Excellence Club Junior Suite with a ocean view. Our ocean view was pretty far back for paying extra for a view.
3. Don't bother with the Club. While you do get upgraded licquor in your room, you can get that same licquor at any bar (we didn't spend much time in the room). The private beach and pool are a bit of a scam. They never once asked us which room we were in. The pools are also very small and had VERY few chairs to lay out in. The private check in was fine, but the main lobby is well-staffed, so I am not sure that mattered. Also, the personal consierge was for the whole building (some of our non-club friends were using them - so it wasn't special). We weren't angry about the Club, but wouldn't do it again.

We will be returning to the Excellence resorts in the future and would recommend them to anyone! We loved it!

2 Thank Casey S
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here over NYE and overall we had a blast. We were in the Excellence Club and met a lot of fun couples. The resort was pretty and the drinks were great (Icebergs are a must, I probably had fifty of them). However, the food is absolutely awful in all of the restaurants. I know this is to be expected at any all-inclusive, but I thought the food would be alright since we were paying almost a grand a night. Also if you want to do an excursion that does not feel like you are going to Disneyworld, get a private driver to take you to Coba. We had Sergio and he was awesome.

Room Tip: Do the two story private terrace.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Derek S
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

My husband and I just got back from staying at the Excellence over Christmas break and it was amazing. We go somewhere in the caribbean, every christmas for the back 6 years and this one was definitely the best! We stayed in a roof top terrace room which was like out of a movie. We had a huge spa/pool on our terrace along with a big jacuzzi tub inside the room. The bar in the room was all-inclusive and was restocked daily (including candy,beer, soda, wine, and liquor). The resort was very clean and the pool area is amazing. There are plenty of options where to lay out including hammocks, and chairs in the water. The beach area is really nice and every day there was some sort of bbq going on on the beach. Waitress service was also on the beach and all around the pool area and pretty quick. ANother great thing about the resort is that the food at all of the restuarants was actually really good! I do not have 1 bad thing to say about this place. They also offer work out classes at the gym which were good and there is a smoothie bar that makes great healthy drinks! I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: roof top terrace- corner- ocean view if possible
Whitchurch-Stouffville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

Stayed at the EPM from December 16 - 23 and loved everything about this property.We stayed in the rooftop suite in building 8 and the room itself (other than the toilet) was perfect. I think what makes this resort outstanding is the staff. Every single one goes above and beyond what is expected of them. We can't say enough about Eric and Jennifer who treated us as royalty. We were fortunate to meet some wonderful people from Chicago and Britain that made our visit very memorable. Would love to holiday with this group again. Thank you to ALL of the staff, you deserve credit for the great work that you do. Cheers.

Gary

Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#3 of 181 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,071 reviews
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!