“I want to honeymoon here every year!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Excellence Playa Mujeres

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Spring, Texas
“I want to honeymoon here every year!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2013

When the staff met my wife and I at the door with a glass of champagne before we'd even checked in, I knew it was a sign of good things to come. That level of service was maintained throughout our stay. A bellhop took our bags to our room while explaining some things about the resort (dress codes, where the bars are, times they open, etc), where they had already prepared our room in building 1. We stayed in the rooftop terrace room, which was incredible. On clear nights, sitting in our private pool with a beer looking up at the stars was fantastic. My wife and I decided that it was a tossup between excellence club or the rooftop terrace (when we stayed the price difference was negligible). So I think next time we'll go with excellence club.

Room service was prompt and delicious. We decided that it's worth it to wake up and go to the breakfast buffet at La Toscana, though. The food is better than the room service menu and there's a much better selection. Our favorite restaurant was the Indian one (Basmati was its name I think). Chicken Tikka Masala was very good. It's also a bit more intimate than the other restaurants because it's smaller and less trafficked. The Grill's steaks were above average, but well worth eating. Chez Isabelle was where my wife and I had our "honeymoon dinner", where we were allowed to order from a special menu and had rose petals around our table. I didn't think the special menu was anything spectacular, but she enjoyed it.

Drinks were a little on the weak side, but if you asked the bartender, they'd pour heavy. I don't think anybody said "no" to anything we asked for the entire 5 day stay. The main pool's swim up bar was great, I don't think I had to wait for a drink at all. We also enjoyed the lazy river which was strangely deserted almost the entire time we were there.

To say this resort is beautiful is an understatement. Everywhere I looked I couldn't believe just how green and clean everything was!

I was initially scared about food poisoning, what with the resort being in Mexico. The staff put my mind at ease and by the end of the trip I was eating and drinking whatever I wanted without fear. Neither one of us got sick. They do mention in the in-room information pamphlet not to drink the tap water or shower water, but everything else is safe.

Room Tip: Rooftop Terrace and Excellence club are about the same price, so research which one you'd like...
5 Thank Michael S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,004)
  • Korean first
Sooke, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2013

We visited December 20-27/2012. Booked Excellence club roof top terrace with private pool oceanfront.We enjoyed our private check in with Gina at the club, who provided excellent service our entire stay. Suite was very well stocked and pool was kept a perfect temp for us everyday by our pool boy, followed up by a call to check all is well . Guest Services Manager Queen E!!! was very attentive to making our holiday special .Thank you dear girl ! Enjoyed all the perks of Excellence Club. Great treats,private beach,pools, fab caring treatment from all Excellence Team ! Spa was very relaxing and well worth my time, enjoyed all my visits and really liked the great job they did on my hair,hands & toes.My massages were excellent,very comparable to Canada's top spas.Thank you Excellent Spa Team ! I have been a working Chef in Canada for many years and I am impressed with the choices available for Food&Beverages services. My Husband Mike really enjoyed his meals ,treats,&drinks as well very good quality room service . I was very pleased with our lovely Christmas dinner excellent French bubbly,delightful tasty food and of course perfect company Dear Mike! Thank you to Martin for your excellent wine suggestions,You are very well informed and we enjoyed your choices! We will be looking forward to returning to Excellence Resorts for our 4th visit soon....Thank you Excellence Team !!!

Mike &Kim

Room Tip: Excellence club level with best rooftop oceanfront view suites !
5 Thank 67islandgirl
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013

We love Mexico, especially the Riviera Maya, but we wanted to try someplace new. After a lot of research, we decided on Playa Mujeres, an up and coming area about a 30-minute drive north of Cancun. There are only three resorts in this area and we decided to stay at the Excellence. The fact that it’s adults only, well, that was a HUGE bonus! No offense to you parents out there, but we… do NOT want to vacation with your bratty kids!
We have flown in to Cancun airport many times so we have perfected the dodge and run that is necessary to get out without being accosted by all the folks trying to sell timeshares on your way out. Here’s a tip: don’t-make-eye-contact! Keep your head down and make a bee-line for the exit and you too can get out unscathed.
As I mentioned, it took about 30 minutes to get there and once we were on the other side of Cancun, it was clear that the road to Playa Mujeres was still untouched by a bunch of tourist junk. It was beautiful!
We arrived at a stunning entrance after journeying up a long drive. Although all the marble was impressive, the most impressive feature was the giant stained glass ceiling above the grand staircase leading from the lobby down to the pool and beach-level, and of course all the bars! So before you even get to your room, you can start gettin’ your drink on!
We had booked a roof-top terrace room. All the pictures we had seen were of rooms with a staircase to the terrace. Not our room! (Not that we couldn’t have used the extra exercise.) Our terrace was off to the side and twice the size of the ones that were on rooftops---score! We had the same amenities as the other rooms similar to ours (plunge pool with waterfalls, outside shower and lounge bed), but we also had a ton more space and extra lounge beds so we didn’t have to share unless we wanted to. And goodness knows I don’t share well ;-) We were celebrating my birthday while we were there too (let’s say I was turning 25) and the resort had decorated our room with balloons and streamers. Very cute! And they had left us a welcome basket of fresh fruit and champagne. Because we had not upgraded to the Excellence Club level, we did not get to choose the alcohol bottles in our room but there was a selection that would make any vacationer happy (welcome, and you will be rooming with Mr. Cuervo, Mr. Beefeater, Ms. Smirnoff and more). There was an “L” shaped white leather couch in the seating area. Looked great---was seriously uncomfortable! Whatever! Hang out with Ms. Smirnoff a while and you can’t even tell. The bed was fantastic! Very high though; I needed a pole to vault on to it every night. We had requested an extra pillow top because we had read that the beds were a bit uncomfortable; so we slept well every night. The bathroom was beautiful too. The shower was big enough for two people so I thought, “wow, Neil and I can get ready at the same time and no one will have to wait on the other.” We’ve been married many years now, you’d think I would know better-nope. My crazy husband “needs” all the space to move around and another person in the shower would get in his way. But there’s two showerheads you say? Well, crazy needs both of them. What? Yep. The rain showerhead is to wash his hair and the hand-held one with a heavier water pressure is to rinse off. (Yes, I came with crazy and yes, I’m married to crazy.) A lot of the reviews I read before we left complained of the glass door to the toilet. We had no problems with this-mainly because neither of us wants to see what the other is doing behind that door so there was no peeking. Room? Perfect. Check.
I really wanted to eat dinner at the lobster restaurant but Neil, aka Crazy, doesn’t like seafood, so after we got settled in while exploring, we noticed that the seafood and steak restaurants were connected. We stopped at the podium at the steak restaurant and happened to catch the manager. We explained our predicament. He told us to come to dinner that evening and he would make sure that I got whatever I wanted from the seafood restaurant and it would be brought to me at the steak restaurant. Side note-he had been making a grasshopper out of a small palm leaf when we walked up and when I commented how cool it was-he gave it to me and when I protested, he insisted that I take it (thank you kind sir-that palm leaf grasshopper now sits in a special place in my den). That night we came for dinner and when we were taken care of without issue. I enjoyed the lobster and Crazy had the steak. We left fat and happy.
The next morning we went to the gym to work out. They have five treadmills! We have NEVER been to a resort that was that well equipped in their gym. We were able to get on a treadmill every day without issue (and thank God because we ate enough to roll all the way home if we hadn’t offset all the food in some way). On our route to the gym we passed a sculptor (there are a ton around the grounds) of three life-size horses on their hind legs and kicking their front legs. Crazy thought it would be hi-lar-i-ous to pose with the horses and pretend they were trampling him as a photo op. Yes, I indulged Crazy, the day before we left, and took the picture.
Our daily routine became, wake up, exercise, breakfast (Crazy had a fresh made omelet every day-that’s his favorite), lay out at the pool near the in-pool bar (get in pool, get drink, lay out, dry off, get in pool, get drink, lay out, dry off, etc.), overeat for lunch, go back to room, stop at Kafé Café on the way (get the coffee drink made with vanilla ice cream-I’m sure this drink alone was to blame for at least half my vacation weight gain but you MUST have one-your welcome), lay out on private rooftop terrace, shower and go to dinner. We enjoyed dinner at several restaurants, but our favorite was the Mediterranean. The food was amazing there-we absolutely loved everything we ate here. No left overs! We licked our plates (I’m totally kidding-we’re classier than that).
All we did was relax at this stunningly beautiful resort all day, every day and eat and drink. We experienced nothing but stellar customer service from every Excellence employee we came in contact. It was a GREAT vacation! (Crazy thinks so too)

Room Tip: You don't need to be in the Excellence Club to get an ocean view in a roof top terrace room.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
23 Thank rsawyer
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013

The Staff at The Excellence Playa Mujeres has always been ready to go out of their way to provide us a rewarding stay, with beautiful smiles, a friendly "Hola" and a very pleasant disposition that makes us feel right at home. The facility is kept in perfect condition, rooms are very comfortable and well stocked, restaurants and bars abound to satisfy all tastes and cravings, clean swimming pools are all over the resort and the beach is perfect for our favorite activity: lap swimming. GM Virginia Amador has put together a team of personable and efficient personnel that fulfilled all our expectations. After our second stay there (June & Dec 2012) we have been able to enjoy the wonderful warm weather, the year-end holiday parties (New Years Eve was a quite a bash) , the shows (Mexican night, Michael Jackson, Madonna were highlights), the food (great Tapas), drinks (coconuts are our favorite) and many other activities available at the resort. We were fortunate to interact with very nice people like Antonio (well versed in Mexican culture) and Josue (his Mayan flambe coffee is delicious and quite a show) at The Agave mexican restaurant; Adiel at Bismati, The Grill and The Lobster House, the Indian, meat and lobster restaurants respectively; Rigoberto at the french restaurant Chez Isabel; Lisa, Jacqueline, Stefanie and Ana at the breakfast and lunch buffet in the Italian restaurant, Raquel serving drinks on the beach; Yenny and Abdiel who kept us entertained with the bicycle tours and other activities in that Department; the "invisible" but super efficient Housekeeping folks; and their many other colleagues in Concierge, the Beach Lunch Grill, bartenders, etc., too many for us to remember their names but never to forget the good memories that they allowed us to share at The Excellence.

Room Tip: Both rooms we have enjoyed have been perfectly suited to our needs.
5 Thank sigarvila43
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013

Im going to keep this review short as I don't want to repeat other reviews but basically this resort lives up to its name ........... it really is excellence!!

The rooms are comfortable especially the giant bed and indoor/outdoor hot tub, and the mini bar was well stocked and refilled daily. The beach has white sand and turquoise sea and plenty of sun beds, yes there is some sea weed but it is the ocean so what do people expect! Our experience of the food was fantastic, we ate in every restaurant and had room service, our favorites were Chez Isobelle, Spice, the Grill and Flavors.

The staff were AMAZING and really made us feel special, we tried to talk to them in the little Spanish we know as we were guests in their country and we felt they appriciated us making the effort, in fact several staff thought we were fluent Spanish! A little effort went a long way! Raquel (beach waitress), Cesar (martini bar) and Fedirico (lobster house) really helped us with our Spanish and spent time talking with us.

We did a lot of research with regards to tipping before we went, the staff rely on tips but don't wait around for them and were genuinly greatful for any tip. We budgeted 300 pasos (£15) a day for tipping which worked well for us.

The spa was fantastic, the best we have ever been too and well worth a visit or the hydrotherapy session and a massage.

our one little niggle (and this is being very picky!) but we could hear the live misuc from cafe kafe from 6.30-11.30 in our room and it was quite loud.

We didn't leave the resort as we had everything we wanted there and have such happy memories of our perfect honeymoon.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013

My wife and I visited EPM for the fourth time in December having previously visited in June. This time we were accompanied by my wife's son and his girlfriend. From the time we arrived to when we left we were all treated with every courtesy and nothing was too much trouble.
We live in the North West and normally travel from Manchester with Thomas Cook or Thomson but this time we chose to travel with Virgin from Gatwick and I am glad we did so. The outward flight was really good and the passage through Cancun airport was a breeze. This may have been a coincidence but having experienced the Thomas Cook/Thomson reception at Cancun previously I would travel scheduled flight every time.

We had a private transfer waiting for us and we soon whisked away to EPM. Our reception was what we have always had with the very welcome fizz and cold towel. We were soon in our rooms, changed and into a restaurant for dinner. The food that night and throughout our two weeks in paradise was excellent. I have to say I did not have a bad meal, I may have chosen the wrong choice occasionally but both the presentation and quality was first class. I am staggered with some of the reviews I have read recently commenting on the food as I and an ever increasing number of repeat guests obviously do not share this. I may be an easy going person but I would certainly not put up with either inferior service or bad meals and I am glad to say that I have never had the occasion to do so at this resort. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course!
I have been to resorts where you only see the managment team at organised functions however at EPM this is not the case. Virginia Amador is a very proactive General Manager who is always moving around the resort speaking to guests and her management team follow her lead. I have nothing but praise for the staff at EPM as they take customer service to another level and nothing is too much trouble for them. The service we received at all the restaurants was outstanding and the 'special' dinner at Chez Isabelle for all of our party was a real joy, I have never seen rose petals used so creatively.
Special thanks to Elizabeth (Guest Services Manager), Vilma (Concierge), Carolina, Franciso, Adan and their colleagues at the Excellence Club pool, Cesar (the best barman I have the pleasure of being served by) and the Captains and staff at all the restuarants
We will return and have actually booked to do so again in June this year

7 Thank greygooseman
NYC, ny
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

the property was gorgeous; rooms and grounds immaculate; service wonderful; food horrible: breakfast was fine; lunch ok, dinners absolutely awful, particularly the New Year's Eve set menu. many guests got food poisoning during our stay.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#4 of 181 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,102 reviews
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!