“4th time and still the best”

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Reviewed 23 May 2013

This is our 4th stay at EPM and it's really hard to find things to complain about. This is why we keep coming back. The overall experience is just so nice. The addition of the pizza oven by the pool is fantastic. That guy made pizza's non stop. They are worth a little wait if you have to, but they come out quick. Tip the poor guy a couple bucks, he works so hard !

We were happy to see Adrian and Edwin (our favorites) still there and always energetic, and fun no matter when you talk to them. The activities are fun and the beach party and Mexican fiesta are also very good. They upgraded the food offerings and it was a really nice time.

I think after 3 previous stays at this resort and 9 stays overall at Excellence resorts, I had hoped to get a room upgrade. I e-mailed the hotel prior to our star requesting a top floor room with the outdoor plunge pool, but still we did not get that, or any high floor room. I really wish they would reward their loyal patrons better. We have brought other couples with us as well.

My only complaints was again the teeny pillows on the bed. They are crazy small and although i requested feather pillows which they brought immeiately, but they were still the same size. you need 3 pillows on the bed each in order to sleep. Also, the shower. There was always hot water and the shower area is beautiful, but the water would cycle hot / cold non stop.

Other than that, the hotel is beautiful, clean and each time we go back, from the second you walk in and are greated warmly, we are relaxed and happy to be there.

Do go and give it a try. We go to Mexico 2x a year and this is the nicest resort we have been to.

4  Thank fluffyges

Reviewed 23 May 2013

Travelled from UK and stayed for 14 nights (May 7-May 21). My wife and I travel all over the world and have been coming to the Caribbean and Mexico Riviera Maya twice a year for the last nine years, so we think that we can be fairly objective with our views. This is a very elegant stylish top end establishment. We were made to feel very welcome on our arrival and were checked in politely and efficiently. The guest rooms are of a very high standard, spacious, comfortably furnished, spotlessly clean with all the amenities that one expects of a hotel of this rating. Turn down service is provided every evening which is a very nice touch. The public areas and grounds are immaculately maintained with great attention to detail and hygene. We found the standard of cuisine in the restaraunts to be of a very high standard with a wide choice of dishes. There is a dress code stated for each of the restaraunts and which the staff make sure is adhered to which is a good thing, (other establishments that we have stayed in state a dress code but it is not always enforced, I for one do not expect to dine in a five star hotel with persons who look as though they have just walked in from the beach). Waiters in all of the restaraunts at EPM are very professional, efficient, polite and friendly without being over the top. Special thanks to Nelson and the lady (whose name we have unfortunately forgot) who worked alongside him in the Toscana at breakfast and lunch. Drinks served are all top shelf brands and the service in the bars and on the beach is really excellent, special thanks to Raoul and Fidel on the beach who both serve a cool Bloody Mary!! Also thanks to concierges Vilma and Laura very kind and helpful. Entertainment is of a very high standard with a show in the theatre every night. The guests staying at EPM are a good mix of of age ranges. We have stayed at many five star adult only establishments including Sandals Grande Antigua, Sandals Royal Caribbean Jamaica and many on the Riviera Maya including the following, Excellence Riviera Cancun, Secrets Capri 3 visits, Secrets Maroma Beach 3 visits, various El Dorado hotels. Secrets Maroma was always our preferred hotel on the Mayan Riviera but apart from the beach at Maroma we consider Excellence Playa Mujeres to be superior to Secrets Maroma, it has just got that extra something. We will be paying a return visit and will not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

8  Thank Essexvacationer
Reviewed 23 May 2013

My husband and I traveled to EPM April 11, 2013. This was our 2nd time at this resort and certainly will not be our last. In fact, we have already booked again for 7 nights over Christmas!

I had sent an email to the hotel prior to our arrival requesting the same building and room (if possible) we had stayed in on our previous visit in 2011. I received a quick response from Vilma at the resort assuring us that our request would be noted and granted if at all possible.
We arrived late afternoon and quickly made it through customs. We located our transportation and had a short wait for our private transfer. On this trip we used Olympus which was booked through Cheap Caribbean along with the air and hotel. Honestly, for future trips I will book transportation through Cancun transfers which we have used on previous trips and prefer to Olympus.

Upon arriving at the resort, we were greeted with "Welcome Home" and handed cool towels and flutes of sparkling wine by a smiling bellman. We had a short wait in the lobby and then were escorted to the EC Club for check in.

We were checked in and informed that our request for building 8, room 8366 had been noted but was not available until Saturday. We were assigned a room in building 9 and given the option to relocate to our requested room on Saturday which we immediately agreed to. I can not stress enough how gracious, friendly and accomadating the entire staff of the EC Club are.
We were taken to our room in building 9 and given a quck refresher tour. We were pleasantly surprised to see the mattress topper we had requested via email was already on the bed along with a welcome letter from Virgina the General Manager and return guest gifts; eye masks and passport covers. The fresh flowers were lovely along with the bottle of sparkling wine and bowl of fresh fruit. It was just as we had remembered from our last visit.

During our stay we had an excellent dinner at Agave, the Mexican restaurant. The Mayan Coffee is not to be missed. Chez Isabelle had the most scrumptious appetizer crepes! My husband was slightly disappointed that they no longer had venison on the menu but was happy with the salmon. We are not big on buffets in general so did not partake of the breakfast or lunch buffet at Toscana. Overall, the food is very good and the portions are generous. I can not think of one meal we did not enjoy and that includes Room Service which we mainly used for breakfast and the occasional late night snack. We had wonderful service at the Martini and Revive Bar.

The evening shows are entertaining along with the wonderful live music in the central plaza. We did not see every show as all that laying around on the beach or by the pool while imbibing frosty beverages was just exhausting!! A special shout out to Adan at the EC Bar for keeping us well hydrated,

I definately have to mention the housekeeping staff. We made arrangements at check in to have our room cleaned around 9:00 AM and turn down service at 7:00 PM and that's exactly what we got. Our room was kept spotless with plenty of fluffy towels and fresh bath products. The Mini Bar was also kept well stocked with assorted beverages and snacks.
I was happy to spend my days reading on the beach or by a pool. My husband on the other hand is a lot more active and spent his time socializing and deep sea fishing. That is one of the main things we love about EPM; you can be as active or inactive as you like while being spoiled rotten by the amazing staff in a beautiful setting. We never had a difficult time finding a sunny or shady place to lounge on the beach or at the pool.

I would highly recommend EPM to anyone looking for a fantastic vacation in paradise with delicious food, icy cold premium libations and a luxurious, unpretentious setting with a staff that will bend over backward to exceed your expectations. The only Con I can think of was having to check out and leave!!

Room Tip: EC Club is definately worth the extra money. Building 8b, floors 3 or higher has the best central l...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank vvanders1
Reviewed 22 May 2013

My wife and I traveled from May 4-11 for our 5 year anniversary. I will only cover the highlights of our trip as pretty much everything wonderful has been said a thousand times about this resort ( which are all true). First we booked through Tropical Travelers and not only were their prices the best but the personalized service was outstanding. I made a room request through out TA and she made sure we were in what I think was the best non-excellence junior suite 7323. We had a wonderful view of the ocean and we were centrally located to everything. For my wife and I everything was perfect. The food was good and Basmati, Spice, Chez Isabelle, and the Flavour Market stood out to us. There were a few people who went out of their way to make our trip very memorable. Ceasar at the Martini Bar, David at Cafe Kafe, Jesus and Fidel working the beach all made our trip special with their wonderful attitude and excellent service. I wish I could have tipped these guys much more than I did. They all always had a smile on their face and it amazes me that out of everyone they come in contact with they always remembered my wife and I. My wife and I will definitely be back. If and only if I had to find something wrong with this resort it is that when my wife ordered a drink and they poured it into the tall glasses the straws were to short and tended to disappear in the glass. This should let you know what kind of resort EPM is. Feel free to PM me with any questions about my TA or the resort as I would be happy to answer them.

Room Tip: 7323 has a wonderful ocean view for a non-excellence club junior suite.
9  Thank RDL62584
Reviewed 21 May 2013

This was our 4th visit to this property. We have considered going someplace different but it's difficult when everything is so perfect. No reservations, wristbands, towel cards - you can do what you want, when you want!

They keep adding things like the pizza oven at the Sol Bar - another great option for lunch. Personally, we love the Lobster House - don't get lobster much at home so really enjoy it when we visit here. First time we ate at Basmati - we were surprised as it's probably our second favorite dining option. The French restaurant is also good. First time we dined at Flavors - not our favorite but this was personal preference and although the food wasn't our favorite the service there was top notch. The breakfast buffet is always good with many choices and we also like the open air site at the Lobster House for breakfast after a walk on the beach. We dined for the third time at the hibachi grill - excellent!!! Did I say Lobster House was my favorite and Basmati was second - I don't know - too hard to decide!!!

I've read some reviews that mentioned they didn't like the party atmosphere here. I disagree because if you don't want a real lively atmosphere, just settle in around the Revive Bar which is a ways from the main pool and beach. Float around the lazy river, watch the igaunas and relax. There's a menu you can get at the bar from which you can order lunch which will be delivered to your chair by the pool. Very quiet and relaxing. Or, you could go down to the beach - there's always something going on at lunch.

We had a lot of fun at casino night, enjoyed both the Michael Jackson and Madonna Shows. In addition we enjoyed the Mexican show, circus and the magician. And, we've seen them all before but still enjoy them and I think they change them up a bit from time to time. Our favorite entertainment is on Saturday night - they used to call it romantic music. It's a gal, can't remember her name, and a guy and it's soooooo good! It's been one of the highlights of 3 of our visits. On one of our visits she wasn't there - the manager said she was performing at their Dominican property. We were happy to see her back on our most recent visit. We really like the music that is played in the courtyard area early every evening.

It was our 35th wedding anniversary on our most recent trip. My husband had informed them ahead of our arrival and there were two towel art swans on our bed with rose petals. In addition, there was fruit and a bottle of sparkling wine left in our room. On the night we officially celebrated at the French restaurant, they had decorated our table special.

I hate to start naming names as there is no way we could include all the special servers, managers, housekeeping staff, etc. But, some our special friends among the staff include Rauol, Jesus, Marianna, Gloria, Victor and Maria. We tip - they earn every penny of it.

I would recommend the bike ride and bring along your camera; there are some photo opportunities with iguanas, crocodiles, parrots, scenery, etc. The guide for the bike tour was great - can't remember his name. We also took the catamaran that departs from the marina just to the north of the resort (booked through the concierge) to Isla Mujeres. It was $55 per person and then you had the option of booking a snorkeling excursion out of a smaller boat once we arrived at Isla Mujeres for $20 per person. I would highly recommend - lots of fun - good shopping. For something different, I think the next time we go back, we'll rent a golf cart for $40 and go to Playa Norte in addition to shopping and maybe just snorkeling off the beach.

Lots of fun - can't wait to go back. In fact, we are planning another nine day stay at the end of October.

Room Tip: On our 4 stays, we've had a swim-out room, 1st and 2nd floor rooms, buildings 4, 5, 7B and 8. T...
8  Thank plncpa
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I typically do not go to all-inclusive resorts, for a variety of reasons and I also don't typically travel to Cancun (I prefer to stay in Isla de Mujeres, a little island with local flavor and a very island feel) - but a friend of mine was getting married there, so off we went. Firstly, the hotel has an incredibly good reputation among the locals (I speak Spanish), all who said not only that this is not only a great hotel - but the best. If you are someone who is worried about security - this place is like a fort, layers upon layers of security just to enter the property. A quick note - not everything is inclusive (like the spa), but I highly recommend getting a spa treatment - each day they offer a "special" on a treatment and the spa facility is really nice and the service is really quite exceptional - well worth it,

Service - Every staffer, from the valet who greeted us, to the concierge, wait staff and even maintenance workers who passed us, were incredibly polite, always smiling and knowledgeable. Everyone was just so incredibly pleasant. The day we checked out, the bell man walked with us (with our bags) all the way to a bridge (which he could not cross) just to continue a conversation he was having with us. Really top notch staff.

Food/Drink - This was my biggest concern going with an all-inclusive as I dine out often and have little tolerance for poor food choices or preparation. There are 9 restaurants - some are open for breakfast, some are open for lunch, and depending on the day (it rotates) all are open for dinner. Depending on the season, how many people are vacationing, and which day of the week it is, some restaurants may have the night off. It does rotate and every restaurant was open during our stay. We had advanced warning each night of the next day’s closings via our turndown service itinerary.

As for the restaurants, they all have a theme. Agave serves Mexican food, Barcelona serves Mediterranean food, Basmati serves Indian food, Chez Isabelle serves French food, The Grill serves grilled foods (mainly steaks), The Flavor Market serves tapas, The Lobster House serves lobster, Spice serves Asian fusion, and Toscana serves Italian. While menus are much more flexible at lunch and breakfast, they are pretty set for dinner. Our favorite restaurants were The Flavor Market and Spice - honestly, we were floored that it was possible to dine so decadently at an all inclusive. The best part is - if you don't feel like going out - room service is always an option, we did this for breakfast one morning, lunch another day, and after dinner deserts (and champagne) another evening - the selection definitely met our needs.

There are lots of activities and entertainment - each evening you receive an itinerary on your pillow with the turn down service. The pools are wonderfully relaxing - they have a very nice stretch of beach. If you are looking for all inclusive in Cancun, I honestly don't think you can do better than this. Oh - and the wedding was absolutely beautiful!

Booking tips - I booked through Orbitz. I have noticed that Excellence generally has seasonal discounts (anywhere from 10-25% off) and these discounts usually carry through to Orbitz. If you are looking to save more - Orbitz usually allows you to apply their discount codes to save more (usually there are two ways to get an Orbitz hotel discount code - 1) subscribe to Orbitz and they periodically send codes for 10-15% off, 2) the usually send a 15% off hotel code after you have booked an airline reservation. My friends who go there often have also gotten discounts by doing flight/hotel packages through Expedia and Cheap Caribbean.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank pinxitluc
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We did three weeks in the Cancun area with our final destination (10 Days) at the Excellence Playa Mujeres. What a great way to end our trip. Everyone should experience an Excellence Resort at least once in their life.

We have stayed twice at the Excellence Riviera Cancun (Puerto Morales). And can't say enough about either resorts.

We got a roof top terrace and it was nice to have as we enjoyed it the first 5 days and most every evening.

But as it got hot and humid we went to the beach and loved the beach much better. Nice breeze and the ocean (swimming area) was so warm. We lived in the water more than most trips. I miss the day beds on the beach like at the Excellence Puerto Morales.

Everyone talks about the service and again it is over the top. Nearly all resorts have excellent service, so can't say this is what gives it the 5 star rating. But there was not a flaw in the service.

We ate at most places wanting to try them all. We were very fortunate to run into Armado, the Manager of the Steak house. He set us up a very nice and special table(great view and rose petals on the table). He even brought in a special dessert for us from another bakery (wasn't on the menu). Treated us like royalty. He also set up a nice table again at the Lobster House. What a view and great service. Food was good at both. I was pleastlly surprised at the steak at the steak house and the lobster at the Lobster House.

Our favorite dining was at Agave (the Mexican). It was over the top. We ate there twice it was so good. The bartender at Agave, after a brief conversation with him made me a sangita ( not to be confused with the fruit/wine drink). It was a shot of Don Julio and his grandfathers special reciept. IT was extremly good. One of the best we have ever had.

Because we had the Roof Top Terrace (RTT), it was nice having bottles of liquor in the room. We got ice and I requested limes, and they were delivered quickly. So we could make our own drinks on the RTT. Other places we have stayed the bottles were in a dispenser type cabinate and you couln't remove the bottle, not here. The plunge pool was perfect. They told us if we wanted it heated just to give them two hours notice, but we didn't. The water was refreshing and didn't want it to change.

With two day beds on the roof we had plenty of options for sun bathing. The only concern was there we no small table to set drinks etc but my wife made one. She took the folding luggage rack in the room and the desk pad and put a towel around it and made a small table. Worked perfect for us.

We ordered Breakfast from room service first two mornings and the food was on time and was very hot. I was so impressed. Can they do anything wrong?

We spent four days at another AI resort not to far away and what a difference. Excellence wins hands down.

We didn't do any day trips (was planning on gonig to Isla Mujeres, but we just didn't want to leave.

At the Martini Bar Ceasar was entertaining and well as a perfect bartender. He should be in Vegas. What ever they pay him, its not enough, but I am sure he does well with tips.

On the beach was Fidel that not only got us fresh drinks and in a timely mannor but offered suggestions. We usually don't use the waiter on the beach cause so many times the drinks come back with the ice half melted and a diluted drink. Not so with Fidel. Fresh and cold drinks everytime.

Their shows were OK. We only saw a couple but we have seen better entertainment elsewhere in Mexico. But we didn't go for the shows. That's what Las Vegas is for.

Overall what a great experience and we will return. I think we might stay at the Excellence in DR next year. Never been there and thought it might be worth a shot.

Room Tip: Only get the Roof Top Terrace if you plan on using it. We did several days and most evenings. We...
5  Thank Caribbean5
#1 of 177 in Cancun
Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!