We stayed at Excellence from 5/11 to 5/19. We had a nice vacation, but I think the resort is overrated.
We had an "ocean front" club-level rooftop terrace room. The room was nice, but the view was disappointing. We were moved to a higher floor after the first night, (and they went above and beyond to move us,) but the room was was very loud with noise from the pools during the day, and music from entertainment at night.
In two stays at EPM, they have not been able to accommodate our request for a quiet building (placed ahead of time). We were moved as requested on the second day of our first stay, and I think that they did the best they could to move us during our most recent stay. I bring this up, not as a fault against Excellence (as not everyone can get the best room) but to help level-set expectations about making a building/location request.
We were impressed with service at the resort and everyone does work very hard. The restaurants did seem understaffed during our stay. We often had to wait for tables at dinner, only to be seated in a near empty restaurant and at lunch it was a long wait for drinks, etc... The restaurant waits appeared to be related to staffing levels.
Many of these reviews comment that food taste is subjective, but I am happy to share mine; I thought the food was awful. Everything tasted as if it had been frozen, and a few items (such as fruit at the breakfast buffet one morning) remained frozen on the serving platters. We had a few decent meals (Tapas, French, Italian), and some that were appalling (Asian, Mexican). It seemed like the food quality had declined since our last stay, and all of the food was very bland. I will note that we were asked at checkout about our stay, and they seemed genuinely concerned that we were not impressed with the food, and indicated a commitment to making improvements.
We did take advantage of the spa during our stay. We frequent spas, and I thought the massage therapist was good, but I am sensitive to fragrance (as many people are), and they did use a heavily scented massage lotion without asking. (Therapists generally use unscented lotion or let the client choose a scent.) I would recommend that if you have problems with fragrance, you ask about this ahead of time for spa treatments.
The "excellent" portion of the beach was full each day of our stay by 8:30 or 9:00 AM (shady spots) with many of the loungers occupied but devoid of patrons. We were turned away from the club-beach four mornings of our stay by 9:00. Two of these mornings we found nice shady spots at the non-club beach, and the other two we went to the pool (not the EC pool, which was also full). This wasn't a big deal for us but is something to note if you are thinking about a EC room.
I can't recommend an Excellence Club level room. You are basically paying for and upgraded view and use of the beach/pool area. (Upgraded toiletries and liquor don't fly with me; even the non-budget conscious of us know that for a fraction of the upgrade fee, you can purchase liquor and toiletries that will put the EC stuff to shame). There isn't room at the EC beach/pools to accommodate the rooms in this category, and the location of the rooms is hit and miss (just look over the resort map).
We have been to EPM twice and (although we had a nice vacation) due to the poor quality food, lack of true ocean front rooms, prevalence of the towel game and overall noise, I don't think we will be back. I recommend that those of you thinking about a stay consider a non-club level room, and request a location around the Spa (for quiet).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury adults-only resort nestled among seven swimming pools on a powdery white sand beach, in a community that boasts a spectacular Greg Norman signature golf course. This jewel of Cancun sets a new standard of luxury for all-inclusives with finely tuned amenities such as one-of-a-kind accommodations including two-story rooftop terrace suites with a private Plunge pool, meticulous service, gourmet cuisine, an exquisite spa and the signature Excellence Club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Holiday Gems, 5viajes2012 S.L., Savannahville Tours N.V., TravelUp, Expedia, Prestigia, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Excellence Playa Mujeres reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Excellence Playa Mujeres Hotel Playa Mujeres
- Excellence Hotel Playa Mujeres
- Playa Mujeres Excellence Hotel
- Excellence Playa Mujeres Cancun