“Overrated”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Austin, Texas
“Overrated”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We stayed at Excellence from 5/11 to 5/19. We had a nice vacation, but I think the resort is overrated.

We had an "ocean front" club-level rooftop terrace room. The room was nice, but the view was disappointing. We were moved to a higher floor after the first night, (and they went above and beyond to move us,) but the room was was very loud with noise from the pools during the day, and music from entertainment at night.

In two stays at EPM, they have not been able to accommodate our request for a quiet building (placed ahead of time). We were moved as requested on the second day of our first stay, and I think that they did the best they could to move us during our most recent stay. I bring this up, not as a fault against Excellence (as not everyone can get the best room) but to help level-set expectations about making a building/location request.

We were impressed with service at the resort and everyone does work very hard. The restaurants did seem understaffed during our stay. We often had to wait for tables at dinner, only to be seated in a near empty restaurant and at lunch it was a long wait for drinks, etc... The restaurant waits appeared to be related to staffing levels.

Many of these reviews comment that food taste is subjective, but I am happy to share mine; I thought the food was awful. Everything tasted as if it had been frozen, and a few items (such as fruit at the breakfast buffet one morning) remained frozen on the serving platters. We had a few decent meals (Tapas, French, Italian), and some that were appalling (Asian, Mexican). It seemed like the food quality had declined since our last stay, and all of the food was very bland. I will note that we were asked at checkout about our stay, and they seemed genuinely concerned that we were not impressed with the food, and indicated a commitment to making improvements.

We did take advantage of the spa during our stay. We frequent spas, and I thought the massage therapist was good, but I am sensitive to fragrance (as many people are), and they did use a heavily scented massage lotion without asking. (Therapists generally use unscented lotion or let the client choose a scent.) I would recommend that if you have problems with fragrance, you ask about this ahead of time for spa treatments.

The "excellent" portion of the beach was full each day of our stay by 8:30 or 9:00 AM (shady spots) with many of the loungers occupied but devoid of patrons. We were turned away from the club-beach four mornings of our stay by 9:00. Two of these mornings we found nice shady spots at the non-club beach, and the other two we went to the pool (not the EC pool, which was also full). This wasn't a big deal for us but is something to note if you are thinking about a EC room.

I can't recommend an Excellence Club level room. You are basically paying for and upgraded view and use of the beach/pool area. (Upgraded toiletries and liquor don't fly with me; even the non-budget conscious of us know that for a fraction of the upgrade fee, you can purchase liquor and toiletries that will put the EC stuff to shame). There isn't room at the EC beach/pools to accommodate the rooms in this category, and the location of the rooms is hit and miss (just look over the resort map).

We have been to EPM twice and (although we had a nice vacation) due to the poor quality food, lack of true ocean front rooms, prevalence of the towel game and overall noise, I don't think we will be back. I recommend that those of you thinking about a stay consider a non-club level room, and request a location around the Spa (for quiet).

20 Thank Megan F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,219)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 26 May 2013

We just got back from another great trip to Excellence! This was our 4th trip EPM. We took Cancun Private Transfers as usual, which we highly recommend, and arrived to find out that our room was immediately ready, Hooray! And they were able to meet our room request!

When we arrived at our room, we were greeted with a Happy Anniversary banner, welcome back gift, and upgraded minibar with liquor (we had a non-EC RTT). This was a fabulous surprise! I am sorry to read when others say EPM does not treat their return customer’s special, but we think they out do themselves every year!

I will keep the Pros and Cons brief:

Pros:
*The Staff: Lorena, Geraldo, Luis, Jorge, and Caesar!
*Everything is always CLEAN!
*Live music was the best yet!
*The maid service is MUCH improved. We were cleaned and turned down every day except the last day.
*Soft serve ice cream flavor: cake YUM!

Cons:
*There were A LOT of smokers the first half the week we were there. This of course is not the hotels fault, just our bad luck, but the hotel could do a better job of designating smoking areas. At the very least they could’ve kicked the pack of people walking in the lazy river discarding their ashes in the pool out. Surprising I know, but others do not want to swim in your cigarette ashes. This happened in the main pool as well.
*The first few days of breakfast buffet service was really terrible. Is it too much to ask to get an iced tea? We are not high maintenance people, but when you are the fifth couple to the restaurant and no one comes to ask you what you want to drink because they are busy talking that’s not good service.
*Only on 1 day did the SPA have individual treatments on special, they were all couples related. This was a bummer for me since my husband refuses to go to the SPA with me. I usually do 4-80minute treatments, but only did 2 because of the cost. So, the SPA lost out on some revenue and I did not loose all my knots.

My suggestion: Just book and go!

Room Tip: It doesn't hurt to email 2 weeks ahead of time and ask!
3 Thank Findol
Reviewed 26 May 2013

My husband and I went here for our first anniversary in May 2013. It was truly amazing and we loved every minute of it. Our room was a junior suite and perfect, luxury standard. The service was faultless, the food very good and the facilities excellent. I never recommend anywhere but I do this resort!!! We also never go back but we will here. Fantastic resort :-)

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank Sharon_grigg
Tulsa
Reviewed 26 May 2013

We spent 6 days & nights in mid May 2013. This was our first trip to Mexico and Excellence had been recommended by my daughter who had been there once before. A neighboring guest said we started at the top and they weren't lying. All expectations of this resort were highly exceded. We had been told to book a upper level room and not a swim up room because of the lack of privacy. However when we arrived they had upgraded us to the swim up. We said we didn't want it but had to wait until the next morning to change. The next morning we were at the desk saying, never mind!!! We LOVED our room!! We were in block 7 at the opposite end of the main pool that has the swim up bar. It was quiet, peaceful, and very relaxing. We loved having our own little yard, private lounge chairs and the freedom to come and go to our room without walking to the elevators. Throughout the day we had sun and shade. We would definitely recommend these rooms if you don't want to pack a bag for the day, find lounge chairs and hang out in close proximity to other guests. We especially enjoyed the turn down. It was so nice to come back to your room at night to find your bed turned down with chocolates, soft music and dim lights. Perfect for romance or a great nights sleep. We enjoyed a different restaurant every day. All the food was fabulous and very elegantly prepared. The restaurants were cozy and romantic. The wait staff was professional and very accomodating. The entertainment every night was top notch and included music, comedy, dancing and acrobatic shows. There are bars everywhere so you're never far from your favorite fun and frozen drink. We enjoyed a couple's hour long massage and was pleasantly surprised that it also included an hour in the wellness pool preceding the massage. The price was well worth the 2 hours of pampering. The entire staff...the servers, bell boys, pool boys, gardners..everyone..were so nice and polite. We never passed a single employee when they didn't smile and speak. We had our choice of just swimming, sunning or taking part of the many activities that were at our disposal, most of which were free. It goes without saying the beauty of the pools and the beach were breath taking. This was by far the best vacation ever. We are already planning to go back the same time next year and probably every year. For the elegance of the rooms, the food, the pools, the beach and everything you get this was a very cost effective vacation. The only bad thing was having to leave. We can't wait to go back. We highly recommend this resort and your expectations will be greatly exceeded!!

1 Thank RPMTulsa
The Woodlands, texas
Reviewed 26 May 2013

We just got back from our four trip to this beautiful resort. It was a delayed wedding anniversary. I had sent an e-mail requesting notice of this event. Folks, they had everything in place from the announcement on the door to a big bottle of champagne in the room. We were welcomed by everyone saying "welcome home". Get ready for a lot of friendly management and service personnel.

We arrived on Friday and as it's the custom there is an outside Mexican food fiesta. Set at a table with three young couples and all enjoyed the fun, food, and music. Talking about the food, we suggest anyone try all the restaurants if you have time. But, you better be staying more than a week to do all. The staff are all quite knowledgeable and are quite good at explaining the menu.

We stayed in building number two on the second floor. You will find the rooms are large, the beds a little hard for some people, and the room temperature just right. anyone staying must understand that there is a distance(not long) from your room to the breakfast location.

We chilled on this trip, but there are many ongoing activities(do you like Texas hold em). The bars areas are big and the drinks are very good. There is live music outside on every evening.

Although we consider this a class five star place, there were only two "not so perfect " items. They were: It seemed a less amount of wait-staff during the breakfast and lunch meals. The people were doing their jobs, but not as fast as in the past. This probably is a management situation and will not hurt your vacation. Secondly, we ran out of hot water on two times. Could have been an equipment problem, but didn't kill the beauty of this place.

Finally, will go back to my title and hope to change it in a short time to "five and more to come"
WE ENJOY OUR EXCELLENCE!

Room Tip: Shorten waking by asking room distance to restaurants.
4 Thank billumu8
Minersville, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Returned home late last evening from our 5th Excellence Playa Mujeres stay and can say again we were so delighted with our stay and have really no complaints

Arrival was smooth into Cancun quick transfer to hotel room was ready was greeeted in lobby by
Daniela guest. service Manager who took over Marianna Lojero's position who is now chief concierge

We were treated like royalty

The resort was very busy during our stay , the weather was perfect very warm and sunny no rain at all.
Had a holistic massage at the spa and enjoyed it
I can't wait to return again as all of our expectations were met staff is extremely hard working and want to please all
I also had the pleasure of meeting Mr Eric who is the assistant manager of the hotel and is very easy to talk to he was the food and beverage manager at the sister hotel next door the beloved
I believe he has added some new ideas and is a great asset to Excellence

Room Tip: We were in building 8 room 8301 non Excellent Club and were happy
3 Thank Ann Barket S
Douglas, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 26 May 2013

We just returned from our second trip to EPM. We stayed in an Excellence Club roof top terrace last year. This year we tried the Excellence Club swim up. We really liked it and this is where we plan to stay next May. I didn't do any activities; just wanted to relax; maybe next year! We used the private transfer service from EPM and were very happy with it. The grounds and room were well maintained. All of our drinks and meals were very good. The service was again Excellent. I didn't have very many special requests, but when I did they were handled promptly and with a smile. I want to thank Virginia Amador, GM for putting together such a great team. You not only see her on property talking with guests but also her managers Mariana, Eric and Danila. Mariana was very helpful to us both before and during our stay. I would also like to thank some of the other team members who made our stay especially wonderful. From the Excellence Club pool: Carolina and Lidia and our bartender Adan. They always made sure we had what we needed to have a very relaxing and fun day. Thank you Carolina for getting us to eat at Toscana and meeting the chef Nuestro (might not be spelled correctly). The meals he and his team prepare are very good. Also for the special anniversary dinner at Chez Isabelle; it was very memorable. From Agave: Luis and Juan were very helpful and fun. From Barcelona: Martin and Yaphet. Dalel in the Excellence Club lounge check in was very helpful and efficient. Victor at the Theater kept our drink glasses filled; even before we could ask for another! Juliana at the pool in the Sol bar area was very attentive and made our time at the main pool very enjoyable. I had asked her about the Monkey drinks; she let me know when they were ready and even brought me one! We had a very relaxing and enjoyable stay at EPM and plan on returning again next year. We usually travel three or four times a year and generally stay at adults only all-inclusives. We like to try different places and have stayed with Couples, Secrets, Palace and Sandals in different areas of the Caribbean. Other than Couples Swept Away this is the only resort we have ever stayed more than once! I never expect every vacation to be perfect. I know that everything will not always run smoothly and that everyone is not always going to be on the top of their game. Knowing this makes it much easier to enjoy your vacation! We actually had sunshine every day this time; no rain until the day we left! I have learned that a smile and thank you go a long way. For those of you thinking of visiting EPM, do it and please enjoy the experience!! If you have any questions, please send me a message.

4 Thank bothluvsun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#7 of 175 in Cancun
Secrets The Vine Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!