“Excellence Playa Mujeres: My New Five-Star Standard”

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Arlington, Virginia
“Excellence Playa Mujeres: My New Five-Star Standard”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

My husband and I stayed at Excellence Playa Mujeres to celebrate our second anniversary. We were greeted by gracious staff with cool towels and a peach Bellini. Our experience just got better from there!
Our suite was gorgeous, as were the rest of the grounds. When we got to our suite, there was a celebratory "Anniversary" sign across our door. We also received a coupon to use for a "romantic surprise" at a restaurant of our choice to celebrate our anniversary. We stayed in the most inexpensive suite (I believe it's called the junior suite with pool view.) We were not disappointed! There was a large, four-poster king sized bed, a sitting area with couch, TV and DVR players, a spacious bathroom with a rain shower, a walk-in closet, and (my favorite) a balcony overlooking the pool with an outdoor bed, a table, and two chairs. The mini bar was re-stocked for us daily with plenty of water, soda, snacks, beer and wine. Sometimes this didn't happen until later in the day--if you want anything earlier, just call the front desk, and they will send it right up. Upgrading to the Excellence Club is an extra $120 a day, and honestly...you don't need to do it to still have a five-star experience. Apart from a private pool, club house, and part of the beach, I couldn't see the added benefit (at least, not $120 a day worth!) There are plenty of pools and lots of room on the beach....you will not be bored!
We dined at many of the restaurants. Our favorites: brunch at Toscana, which included just about every type of food you can imagine, including an omelette/egg bar. The stone-cooked pizza at El Sol by the pool is also an excellent option for lunch, and Las Olas had a great Tex-Mex themed lunch one day. For dinner, we thought Flavor Market was OUTSTANDING, as was Chez Isabelle. My recommendation would be to get to these two restaurants early--we had to wait 45 minutes to be seated in each one (but it was worth it.) Put your name on the list and get a drink at the (awesome) Martini Bar on the ground floor. And don't miss the Flaming Coffee on Tuesday nights! Our favorite bar was Cafe Kafe. Ricardo is an amazing bartender--seek him out!
They have nightly entertainment (a different show every night) starting at 9:30, followed by live music until about 11:00 PM.
My recommendation would be to wait until you get to Cancun to book any tours. They have a concierge service, along with a Water Sports company right on grounds. We booked a Dolphin Discovery tour ahead of time and regretted it (it was an awful tour.) We did book a sky rider outing with the Water Sports company on grounds, and it was wonderful ($60 a person). For $16 more, you can also ride Wave Runners for thirty minutes.
All in all, it was a fantastic and relaxing stay. The customer service at Excellence Playa Mujeres is second to none. Everyone we encountered was gracious and accommodating (genuinely so.)
The only small bits of feedback: if you want a quieter room, request one in the 5000 or 4000 building (far away from the main pool and entertainment area.) Also, if you are arriving early to Cancun (before 3:00), pack a change of clothes and a bathing suit. We couldn't get into our room until after 4:00 and we arrived at around 1:00, and I was blazing hot in my sweatshirt and sweatpants (my luggage had been stored & I wished that I had pulled out lighter clothing before I sent it away!)
Lastly, Excellence should offer reservations at some of the more popular restaurants so guests don't have to wait 45 minutes for a table.
Overall: a fantastic stay!

Room Tip: If you'd like a quieter room--choose one in the 5000 or 4000 building.
6 Thank teachersheb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,096)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I will simply paste the letter I sent to the GM.

Dear Virginia,

My wife and I just returned from spending a week at EPM (Aug 3 - Aug 10). I had written to you prior to our arrival and requested that you hand select your best suite so that I may pamper my wife to an anniversary vacation she was much deserving of.

I just wanted to tell you how pleased we were and how relaxed we felt the entire time. First, I want to congratulate you on the professional and pleasant demeanor of your staff. We felt everyone had our true satisfaction in mind and strived to achieve it at all times.

I mean no disrespect to the rest of the folks if I am unable to recite their names but Orlando at the Lobster House, Maria on the beach and Enrique, one of your management staff gave us continual/exceptional service. Your staff at the Excellence Club were extremely professional and multiple 5 star resorts and hotels we have visited in the past can learn a great deal from these wonderful people. I never felt I was being attended to because I was paying; I always felt they wanted me there and wanted nothing but to please. I don't quite know how you were able to train your staff in conveying this message consistently but you have what it takes to retain life long guests.

My wife and I are reptile lovers and what do you know? We were given Honeymoon Suite #8063, where our neighbors immediately to the front were, at least we believed, a husband-wife iguana couple. They greeted us when we arrived and returned every morning when they discovered we were very comfortable with them and kept feeding them fruit. We were able to get closer to them, almost touching them, although we never got that far, each day. We were truly mesmerized to watch them pick the approaching locust and feast on multiple as they dove into our lanai. I do however have to report with great sadness that our friends failed to show up on our last three days. We have a picture of a fox my wife was able to snap one early morning and since his appearance, the iguanas never returned. We suspected that we may have had experienced the harsh truth of circle of life but remained hopeful they were in hiding expecting the fox threat to dissipate. (If you want pictures of our friends and the fox, I can send them to you)

Virginia, Thank you very much for taking such good care of us. Most days, one of your staff members would want to know about our dining plans for the evening and every time we showed up, there was a beautifully decorated table awaiting our arrival and the same friendly staff with our best interest in mind. We had plans to visit all the sites but did absolutely nothing. We hung out at the resort the entire time and felt no need to leave. We simply relaxed and wiped off the built up stress from the year.

For our next visit (that's a hint) please fix the air conditioning at Chez Isabelle and see if you can get the ocean currents to take the sea grass somewhere else!

Our fondest greetings and gratitude,

Room Tip: Buildings 7, 8 and 9 are the best in the house.
3 Thank Mark U
Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Stayed here for a week in February. Although the weather wasn't too good for a couple of days so we had to go shopping ! everything else was just brilliant.
Best All inclusive for great drinks and really good food and brilliant bar staff.
Suite was excellent and the minibar and drinks in the room were best quality.
We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: All suites are the same and I don't see any benefit in upgrading.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Liz G
Reviewed 13 August 2013

My husband and I just returned from a week at the Excellence Playa Mujeres and are already talking about going back next year. We had stayed at the other Excellence hotels both in Punta Cana and in Mayan Riveria in the past few years so we knew we wouldn't be let down with this one. We couldn't have been more pleased. It was more than we could have even imagined. We were picked up from the airport in a private car and transported to paradise where we were met with smiling faces and first class treatment. Our room wasn't ready due to our early flight so we had a delicious lunch at The Lobster House complete with the most delicious ceviche we ever tasted. Daniela Parra, the guest services manager, went out of her way to find us at lunch, introduce herself and make sure we had everything we needed at all times. She knew us by name right away and made sure she checked in almost daily to make sure we had every need met and every expectation exceeded. Our room was gorgeous, stocked with full top shelf bar and snacks, and opened up onto winding, beautiful pool. We requested to be close to the main pool and beach and our room in building 7 was perfect. Not too close to be noisy, but close enough to feel like a part of the fun at all times. The room was serviced probably 3 times a day with fruit/cheese plates delivered to turn down service complete with weather and activity updates for the next day. The only room negative is the lack of bathroom privacy due to frosted glass partially open bathroom doors. (Not so romantic) The entire resort is immaculate. Even when it rained, the staff quickly removed all cushions from outdoor seating and replaced when the rain stopped. They make it look effortless and they are consummate professionals. Not a single staff member passed by without a hello and a smile. A special thank you to Isabel who greeted us every morning at Toscana with her beautiful smiling face at breakfast and Luis and Eduardo at the pool bar who were fast and fun bartenders. Try the Iceberg! It's definitely a winner! The pizza at the pool bar is a great option if you want to grab a quick meal and not have to leave your lounge chair. The beach buffets were a fun addition as well. The Mexican lunch buffet was terrific.
The restaurants are all wonderful and the variation is great. The service can't be beat at any of them. We had a special table decorated with rose petals at several places. The amount of food is just perfect. It allows you to try everything without feeling like you are over stuffed. The presentation is beautiful and the decor is tasteful without being gaudy. We were so pleasantly surprised at our last nights dinner. Daniela arranged a special table, decorated beautifully, at the Barcelona restaurant where we had a spectacular meal complete with a customized dessert that wasn't even on the menu.
My husband and I used the gym everyday and were pleased with the equipment and amenities. We loved the Miile spa at the other Excellence resorts and this one was just as wonderful. We enjoyed a 4 hour couples spa treatment which included an hour hydrotherapy before the "Humanity Couples Ritual". We left the resort one day with Seasons Tours to take a snorkel/catamaran trip to Isla Mujeres on the Induna. We had a blast but there's really no reason to leave if you didn't want to. The nightly entertainment is great. The 1001 nights show was terrific. The acrobats were amazing. The Madonna show had some really excellent dancing as well and we aren't even Madonna fans! Tren Latino, Claudia Trevino, Mariachi La Diferencia and Habana's Band were all great performing at Cafe Kafe. It was so much fun to have drinks and a place to dance every night. The music by the main pool during the day is loud and American pop and we would have preferred something more suitable to being on vacation, like calypso, steel drum or mariachi, but we could have moved farther away from the main pool if we really wanted to.
I can't imagine how anyone could give this resort a less than stellar review. It's paradise on earth and staffed with the most wonderful angels. We made great friends and can't wait to get back.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Sherilynntr
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at Excellence Playa Mujeres with all Trip Advisor Readers.

We were pleased to know that your relaxing vacation with us was highlighted by the courteous attention of our staff, comfort room accommodation & amenities, and enjoyable food in our restaurants. It was a delight to see you enjoyed our evening entertainment and experienced relaxing moments at our spa facilities.

We all look forward to welcome you on your third visit, and to provide you with another memorable experience.
Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

My beautiful wife and I just got home from our week at the Excellence and are still trying to cope without our new friends we made from overly friendly and helpful staff there. We especially loved Luis and Eduardo at the pool bar. Not only were they masters at their craft but they took time out of their very busy day to talk with us and just make us feel at home. We can not say enough good things about them. Also Daniela, guest service manager, knew us by name and sought us out everyday to make sure we were having a good time and that we were happy. She also surprised us our last night by reserving a table for us and decorating it with roses. Every morning and most afternoons during lunch we were greeted at the restaurants by Isabel, who always had the biggest smile and genuinely seemed happy to see us. We have been to all 3 Excellence resorts and although all of them were flawless in my opinion and great in there own way, I love this one the most. The room, food, shows and, well, everything was excellent!! We are bring friends back next Sept and are already counting down the days. Thanks again for a lifetime of great memories

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Patrick C
New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 13 August 2013

My fiancé and I just returned from this resort! We spent 4 nights and 5 days and wanted to stay another 5!! I read a gazillion reviews, no really...lol it so needless to say I had high expectations for this resort! End result=FANTASTIC CHOICE! We decided to spoil ourselves and chose the Excellence Club 2 Floor Rooftop Terrace...specifically room 8467! Here are some of my takeaways from the trip and I hope others find it helpful!

The room- Absolutely beautiful!! We had an amazing view of the ocean, excellence pool and TONS of private since we were on the top floor. The bed, if you like firm, is one of the best I have ever slept in. From the pillows, comforter, mattress, and ocean view, I couldn't ask for anymore. My fiancé also agreed on this point.

The food- I will start by saying my fiancé and I are very picky eaters so while we enjoy simple foods, we still appreciate good quality. The breakfast buffet as Toscana was just so so. Yes there was a lot of options but some things were fresher then others and at times things were extra greasy. We ordered room service each day in the morning after that and we were much more pleased with that decision! Eggs, pancakes, French toast, and bagels all very good. During lunch once we discovered the wood burning pizza grill on the beach, we were done. Ate that the last two days and it was DAMN good! The cook is also fantastic but can't remember his name. Dinner at Toscana was very very good. We both had Caprese salads and Lasagna. My personal favorite was the Hibacchi dinner at Spice! The food was plentiful and tasted SO GOOD. Lastly, the grill was another nice spot for dinner. Filets were tasty, potatoes Daphne were amazing, and service was phenomenal!

Staff- this part I could go on, and on, and on about. They make this resort 5 Stars hands down!! Some special employee shout outs: Claudia in the Excellence club , she was so polite and helpful! Marco the bell boy was friendly, funny, and courteous. Manuel and Adan at the Excellent Club pool were definite favorites. They delivered drinks to us by chair or in the water, and had a refill ready before you could ask! The cool towels, the mini snacks, and there unending goal to please us was amazing and greatly appreciated. They were always smiling and going out of their way even to the point of chasing iguanas away from my chair :-) we had an issue one evening where an iPod was missing and security came to help us thoroughly search the room. After literally covering every inch of the room they finally found it under a hidden ledge in the safe. Again we appreciated this attention to detail!

Private Transportation: highly recommend Season Tours. $145 round trip, private car usually a escalade, suburban, or explorer. Drivers both times were very friendly! Gave them $5 tip and they couldn't be happier.

Grounds: stunning, one of the nicest in all of Mexico according to locals. The employees take such care and pride to the landscape and it shows!!

Couples Massage and Hydrotherapy Circuit: massage was 80 minutes and incredible. The hydrotherapy was a PLEASANT surprise. The gentleman (Marco?) that walked us through the series of tubs, showers, pools, and hot tubs was so wonderful! He explained each step in detail and always made sure we were comfortable? He was quite busy that day and managed to give everyone special attention. We also gave him $5, well deserved, and he was thrilled!

Tips: we brought $100 ($60 in single and $40 in fives) with us per other reviews and it worked out perfect. The staff really do work their tails off and even though they would be courteous no matter what, they truly deserve it. Few extra bucks here and there goes a long way!

Other: The Excellence club upgrade in our opinion is worth it. They have priority check in and a very nice lounge with a full bar and snacks available throughout the day. Someone was always there or a phone call away to help or answer a question. Also the day before we left we were able to print our boarding passes very quickly and everyone confirmed we had what we needed! The private pool near building 8 is where we spent the majority of our time. We had personalized service, met wonderful other couples, enjoyed "background" music, and really felt pampered. There is a limited number of seats so even if its full there is still PLENTY of room. One downfall, no hot tubs were actually hot. at all. They were all same temp as pool so that was disappointing. Though we never went in it, the main pool is also nice and offers water volleyball and a swim up bar. I will say though the music is loud and it tends to be a more "active" crowd. The rooftop terrace was a nice room and we did use it on several occasions. If I went again, and I plan to, I will stick with a high room but no terrace. Every morning the wind picked up and we would get a quick but intense rainstorm. The rattle of the door with the rain and wind was so loud you were woke up early every morning.

Overall, we had an incredible time. This resort is known to be the best in Mexico and it is easy to see why. We loved every minute of the trip and were sad when it came to an end. I HIGHLY recommend this hotel to anyone but especially for people who are looking for a place to " just get away and relax!"

Room Tip: If you get a rooftop terrace try and get building 8 on the 4th floor. It has great ocean views and a...
1 Thank Aa0101
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review, and for recommending us with all Trip Advisor readers.

We are delighted to read that you found at Excellence Playa Mujeres, the perfect set for your recent vacation. Moreover, thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable.

At our hotel we strive to make every stay, as close to perfection as possible and we will continue working hard in this direction.

We are looking forward to welcome you back soon for another relaxing vacation.
Key Largo, Florida, United States
Reviewed 13 August 2013

They say that there is no place like home but............ EPM is our home away from home. We recently returned from a week vacation from July 20 - 27 and it was our fifth time at the same resort same week!!! Yep we love it!! From the pick up at the airport and the trip with Alberto who was friendly, informative and funny to arriving down our well known driveway!!! Oh the cold water and cold towels were great after flying and going through Customs - thank you Alberto!!
We arrived to the welcoming of Daniela who is always smiling and always around the resort!! Virginia was on vacation but Daniela treated us like royalty!! She always spotted us throughout the day and never missed talking to us!! Eric was fantastic too!!

Dalela checked us in the Excellence Club and was good at keeping our room a secret from my husband to the end!! She was a kick!!

EPM Staff is our adopted second family!!!! From Edgar and Miss Liza Minelli in the morning to start our day at the buffet with the flowers and decorations on the table to our same chairs at the wandering pool, it was a great day!!!! Alexander was always finding us to be sure we had our drinks we needed along with the pool servers!! After the pool, we always visited our adopted brother Fidencio at the Martini Bar for our 3 - 6 fun time!! He with his high four always makes our afternoons fun. Be careful if you give him the camera as he loves to take lots of pics!!!! When Fidencio goes off, we met Cesar and his cage dancer Ricardo who was new to us this year but we are so glad they joined EPM. We live in the Florida Keys and know many bartenders but we have to say that Cesar is the best we have ever seen!!!! He can be mixing one sets of drinks, have someone sit down and take their order and keep on talking to you!! As he always says.............. Let's get the party going!!!!

Our room was spectacular as always!! The maid and turndown service is the best!! If you crash early, be sure to do what we do and ask for a early turn down as you don't want to miss it!!!!

We love all the restaurants!!! Lobster House, The Grill, Flavor Market, Agave and our very favorite Chez Isabelle!!! Thank you Daniela for our private dinner celebrating two birthdays and our anniversary!! Our waiter and bus boy were the best!!! Food was excellent as always and the aviance was great!! It was a special night!

And now to the afternoon activities: Adrian and Edwin and their side kick little Daniela are the greatest!! We laughed with them, danced with them, bingo-ed with them and watch Bull Riding on the beach!! They are both great and good looking too!!!

Jorge at the Solo Bar with the great pizza maker!!! Many afternoons spent there!! The pizza is the best!!! Jorge and his buddies know how to pour a drink so you have to be a little careful!! They are helpful with trivia also!!! And how about Victor!!! We have known him and he serves us at the Solo Bar and the beach!!! We keep telling him to marry his sweetheart!!!

Evening entertainment is the bomb!! We love listening to the bands!!!! Sitting at the Café Kafe bar listening under the beautiful sky and being served by our Heydi who we hope is going to come to visit us!!! My husband loves the girl and piano player in the evening - They are a great team and great music to have a Crème De Menthe and Baileys to served by our Heydi!!

The Martini Bar is the best in the afternoon as we always meet great people and the staff always knows where to find us to come and visit with us!! Carolina would always find us along with Adrian & Edwin!!

I am sure I have left some people out who were are the greatest!! At EPM they are always working on the resort to keep it as spectacular as it is every time we go back!! It is a private resort as some always tell us that there is trouble in Cancun!! Not true in EPM!! Only adults having a great time!!

The only sad and bad time at EPM is saying good bye!! Virginia has been there every year and this year she was away with family!! We thought we would not get to see her but on our last day while waiting for our cab, Marialana found her and we met her!! There were hugs & smiles!!! It is somewhat tearful when we have to leave cause they have adopted us as their family as we have!! But we know we will be back next year - Same week - same time!!!

You have to take a trip to EPM!! You will love it and will not be disappointed!!

Room Tip: Excellence Club
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#5 of 181 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,398 reviews
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!