My husband and I stayed at Excellence Playa Mujeres to celebrate our second anniversary. We were greeted by gracious staff with cool towels and a peach Bellini. Our experience just got better from there!
Our suite was gorgeous, as were the rest of the grounds. When we got to our suite, there was a celebratory "Anniversary" sign across our door. We also received a coupon to use for a "romantic surprise" at a restaurant of our choice to celebrate our anniversary. We stayed in the most inexpensive suite (I believe it's called the junior suite with pool view.) We were not disappointed! There was a large, four-poster king sized bed, a sitting area with couch, TV and DVR players, a spacious bathroom with a rain shower, a walk-in closet, and (my favorite) a balcony overlooking the pool with an outdoor bed, a table, and two chairs. The mini bar was re-stocked for us daily with plenty of water, soda, snacks, beer and wine. Sometimes this didn't happen until later in the day--if you want anything earlier, just call the front desk, and they will send it right up. Upgrading to the Excellence Club is an extra $120 a day, and honestly...you don't need to do it to still have a five-star experience. Apart from a private pool, club house, and part of the beach, I couldn't see the added benefit (at least, not $120 a day worth!) There are plenty of pools and lots of room on the beach....you will not be bored!
We dined at many of the restaurants. Our favorites: brunch at Toscana, which included just about every type of food you can imagine, including an omelette/egg bar. The stone-cooked pizza at El Sol by the pool is also an excellent option for lunch, and Las Olas had a great Tex-Mex themed lunch one day. For dinner, we thought Flavor Market was OUTSTANDING, as was Chez Isabelle. My recommendation would be to get to these two restaurants early--we had to wait 45 minutes to be seated in each one (but it was worth it.) Put your name on the list and get a drink at the (awesome) Martini Bar on the ground floor. And don't miss the Flaming Coffee on Tuesday nights! Our favorite bar was Cafe Kafe. Ricardo is an amazing bartender--seek him out!
They have nightly entertainment (a different show every night) starting at 9:30, followed by live music until about 11:00 PM.
My recommendation would be to wait until you get to Cancun to book any tours. They have a concierge service, along with a Water Sports company right on grounds. We booked a Dolphin Discovery tour ahead of time and regretted it (it was an awful tour.) We did book a sky rider outing with the Water Sports company on grounds, and it was wonderful ($60 a person). For $16 more, you can also ride Wave Runners for thirty minutes.
All in all, it was a fantastic and relaxing stay. The customer service at Excellence Playa Mujeres is second to none. Everyone we encountered was gracious and accommodating (genuinely so.)
The only small bits of feedback: if you want a quieter room, request one in the 5000 or 4000 building (far away from the main pool and entertainment area.) Also, if you are arriving early to Cancun (before 3:00), pack a change of clothes and a bathing suit. We couldn't get into our room until after 4:00 and we arrived at around 1:00, and I was blazing hot in my sweatshirt and sweatpants (my luggage had been stored & I wished that I had pulled out lighter clothing before I sent it away!)
Lastly, Excellence should offer reservations at some of the more popular restaurants so guests don't have to wait 45 minutes for a table.
Overall: a fantastic stay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury adults-only resort nestled among seven swimming pools on a powdery white sand beach, in a community that boasts a spectacular Greg Norman signature golf course. This jewel of Cancun sets a new standard of luxury for all-inclusives with finely tuned amenities such as one-of-a-kind accommodations including two-story rooftop terrace suites with a private Plunge pool, meticulous service, gourmet cuisine, an exquisite spa and the signature Excellence Club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Holiday Gems, Savannahville Tours N.V., Ebookers, Expedia, Hotels.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Excellence Playa Mujeres reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Excellence Playa Mujeres Hotel Playa Mujeres
- Excellence Hotel Playa Mujeres
- Playa Mujeres Excellence Hotel
- Excellence Playa Mujeres Cancun