“Excellence does'nt disappoint, but..........”

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
ajijic
“Excellence does'nt disappoint, but..........”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Just returned from EPM, our second trip- last year being Excellence Riviera.

There were no suprises, as we anticipated. Excellence has the formulae down pact
and is consistent in providing a memorable stay.
Service, at every level is absolutely top notch, all the staff are to be commended for
their attitude and most friendly approach. Alberto, at the front desk, will ensure
you are happy with your accomodation.

Again, not having to make restaurant reservations is another big plus. Never spent
more than thirty minutes at the Martini Bar waiting for our table.

Clientele- observed a varied mix of people, and it was obvious the Brits are making
this a favourite destination. It's an eleven flight from the UK to Cancun, fives time
longer than going to Europe- so this gives you an idea on the All Inclusive level of
experience which I believe Mexico is setting the highest standard in the world.
We met one couple from the UK that were staying there for the tenth time.
(No, the resort does not upgrade on loyalty, not their policy).

However, even with all the best testimonials on Excellence there is one aspect
that does disappoint: the beach. Not the resorts fault, it's a fight between
Mother Nature. All the resorts facing east on the entire Riviera face a windward prevailing
wind. As a result the seaweed is virtually uncontrolable, and most days it was
two metres wide at waters' edge. I did not see one person in the ocean all week.
So, be warned, if you love to swim in the ocean, as we do, resorts in this area, most
months of the year, have this problem. Quieter spots can be found, pool side, in several
areas. The younger crowd in the main pool, most afternoons, are well into the tequila etc.
But this is a standard all AL resorts have.

Overall, hard to beat for value for money. No suprise Trip Advisor published last
week the Top Ten All Inclusives in the WORLD, and EPM was number five!
And five others of the ten are also in Mexico.
So, there you have it. If you go, please, please tip. It's only a few dollars a day,
and, heaven knows, all these great employess deserve it.

Robert Taylor.
Ajijic. Jalisco, MX

Room Tip: Buildings one to six are all fairly quiet. Higher floors best. Downside to swim -ups is the lack...
2 Thank robert t

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,091)
  • Korean first
White Plains, New York
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We spent Thanksgiving week at Excellence Playa Mujeres. The negative was the weather was good not great and that's not even the hotels responsibility. After that, it is all positive. The people, the service, the food, the accomodations, the grounds, the friendliness and professionalism of the staff. it was all wonderful and went by much too quickly. On Thanksgiving afternoon, I sat back, looked out on the sunny panoramic view and quietly gave thanks for my ability to experience a place like the Excellence Playa Mujeres and gave thanks that the Excellence Playa Mujeres exists. Approaching it the right way, it truely is an Excellent experience.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back side in buildings 1-5 do not have a good view. All others do.
2 Thank Peter W
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for the second time in two years. It is by far the best place around. From the moment you walk in you feel welcomed and home. The staff is so friendly and will do anything in their power to please. Everytime it feels like a honeymoon. I can't wait to get back. Would live there if I could.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marco v
Olathe, Kansas
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Our group of 10 selected Excellence Playa Mujeres for our bi-annual couples Caribbean vacation. This is the fourth time we've taken this trip and the group's second time at EPM. Two years ago we made the mistake of going to another resort in the Dominican. The whole time we were at that resort we compared it to EPM and it just didn't stack up. When selecting a destination for this vacation it was a no-brainer.

My husband and I arrived three days before the rest of our group. Since it was just the two of us we were looking for a quiet and relaxing time. We had no trouble finding it. My very favorite spot in the world, the hammocks in the lazy river, provided the perfect spot for reading and I spent much of my time there. We were well cared for by Gladys. She was so friendly and hard-working - our drinks remained cold and constantly refreshed.

Our friends arrived on day three. All of the couples in our group stayed in building six (this is the building my husband and I were in during our first stay). We really like this building because it is close to most everything (on the lazy river…our favorite…restaurants, activities, short walk to the beach) but still tucked away and overall quiet (you can hear a little music until 11 p.m., but if we go to bed before 11 it's not too loud, I can sleep right through it).

The rooms are great, as you've probably read on most other reviews so I won't post too much about that. This time we got a swim up suite (as did two of the other couples). I probably wouldn't have selected or paid more for the swim up suite, but I booked late and those were the only rooms left (next to the ultra expensive roof top suites). There were benefits and draw backs to the swim ups.

Benefit: It was nice to have a room (or on our case three rooms) near the lazy river. We would have room service delivered to one room for lunch and that way we didn't have to get out of the pool when the food arrived. Also it was nice to have a lounge chair in the shade near our room.

Draw back: It was not loud out in the hallway in front of our room, but it was louder than, say, staying on one of the upper floors. If you think about it, everyone who's staying in your building or walking to a nearby building has to walk past the rooms on the first floor, but the only people who walk past a room on the third floor are the people whose rooms are on the third floor. Simply put, there's more traffic.
The other drawback is that there was a storage closet outside of our room. This only happened one out of our eight mornings, staff members started stocking carts with bottles of alcohol and glassware from the closet. Despite the staff members best efforts to be quiet, a 6:45 a.m. wake-up from clanking glass was unwelcome.

The restaurants were great. I did not eat a bad meal while I was there. We ate at Barcelona, Toscana, Agave, The Lobster House, Chez Isabel and Spice. I loved Toscana. If it's a romantic night you're looking for, head to Chez Isabel. Of course, we loved Agave, the margaritas there will blow your mind. They're so much better than any margarita I've ever had.

One thing we like about this resort is that it has every type of scene you could want. You want peace and quiet? Lazy river. You want a party? The pool with the swim up bar. You want to do activities? Water volleyball, biking, archery, target shooting, tours, etc., etc. They have it all. They've added several items since our last visit - fire show on the beach, lunch on the beach.

I celebrated my birthday while I was there. The staff did a fantastic job of making me feel special. Champagne and fruit. The bed was decorated with streamers, balloons and towels folded into candle shapes. They delivered a special dessert to my room and on the plate they had written Happy Birthday in chocolate. Then, at dinner, they again had the table decorated with streamers and balloons along with another special dessert, this one was personalized with my name.

Staff at EPM is top notch. They are so friendly and helpful. Wait staff and the concierge almost anticipates your every need, they know what you want before you do.

We had a problem with our t.v. Upon notifying the front desk they immediately sent someone. Initially the diagnoses was the remote control. Within 10 minutes of the staff member leaving the t.v. was broken again. Rather than mess with it and inconvenience us, when they returned fifteen minutes later they just replaced the whole television.

One complaint: my friends and I were in the Gulf watching a wedding from afar. As the wedding party was taking their spots the staff members running the jet skis decided to pack it up for the day. Groomsmen kept looking over their shoulders uncomfortably, wondering if the noise would stop. Staff revved up the watercraft to put them away and only stopped moments before the bride walked down the aisle.
Though these staff members don't directly deal with weddings I think they need to have an awareness of the many weddings that are happening. If the staff had finished just 30 seconds later the bride would've marched down the aisle to the hum of watercraft. Did they ruin this bride's wedding? Absolutely not. Did they come close? Too close for me. I almost went over and asked them to stop what they were doing until the wedding was done.

Room Tip: We were very happy with building six. I would probably choose 7a next time, simply because I think i...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mamie222
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Allow us to thank you for giving us the opportunity to welcome you and your group back at Excellence Playa Mujeres.

We are glad to know that every time you have stayed with us, you have been able to enjoy of many unique and memorable experiences due to the amazing staff, the high quality food and drinks encountered at our Restaurants and bars, and lastly but no less important, our Resort facilities.

We all look forward to welcome you on your 3rd visit, and to provide you with another memorable experience.
scotland
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Just back from our first visit to this hotel. We stayed for 15 nights in a club room so more than sufficient time to give an honest and, hopefully, constructive critique of EPM.

As a beginning, we have stayed in some first class hotels around the world so we are not new to either the concept of a 'hotel within a hotel' or indeed all-inclusive 5 star. We were new to Mexico so that may temper the review somewhat.

GOOD POINTS

Service - amazing, in fact, overwhelmingly so at times. We asked for a fruit basket for our room so we'd snack healthily - a new one arrived EVERY DAY. Not even the inhabitants of London zoo could have eaten the amount of fruit we received during our trip. Great for us but just a litte too much. Beach service was fanastic and special mention must go to Paul, Mariana and Raquel here. What a friendly and helpful bunch, nothing was too much trouble. In fact, Paul is wasted here, he should be in a suit powering up the management ladder he's that smart.

Justified praise also to Ernesto, Lorenzo and Gloria at Toscana breakfast who all serenaded me on my birthday and were such a great laugh during the time there. They all deserve a medal.

Likewise mad Victor at the gym, the concierges at the club, esp Ruvi, and almost everyone you passed. Truly wonderful service.

MEDIOCRE POINTS

Food - this goes against the majority of comments here so you can either ignore as a very subjective picky opinion or file under not that important. Firstly, do not order room service - it's just plain bad. Secondly, all of the restaurants suffer from the same problem I.e. over promising and under delivering with the exception of breakfast at Toscana's. And that includes Chez Isabelle, touted as the best in resort. It's excruciatingly pretentious (where do I start here? The silver domes simultaneously removed with a flourish and tapped together, repeated over and over again. If you didn't have tinnitus before you sat down, you certainly left with it! The Mexican waiters addressing everyone as 'meeshur' or 'madam'. And so on....) and the food is just ok. We've been to France many times - good French food is honest, simple, and tasty. Fine dining is a world removed from that offered at CI. As I said, it's just ok. Best restaurants? As already mentioned, breakfast at Toscana, the food in the concierge club room was excellent, The grill room and Spice.

All of the restaurants suffer from one other problem which is lighting. Download a flashlight app for your phone - I kid you not!!

Beach is one of the worst we've stayed at despite strenuous efforts made by the hotel to remove the sea grass daily. Litter was a problem as well. I'm prepared to accept that it's better at different times of the year but if you're a beach lover, then this may not be for you.

BAD POINTS

There aren't really any worth mentioning which would put you off going to EPM. I have reservations on going to different restaurants I.e. Basmati, Spice, CI, etc, and seeing Mexican waiters, MD's having to dress up in the supposed national costume of that particular themed restaurant. By all means offer those alternatives, but in this day and age, do we really have to have this pretend dress up for us tourists? It just made me uncomfortable and embarrassed for the serving staff.

And that's that. A long, perhaps overlong, review of our stay in Playa Mujeres. It may not sound like it, but we enjoyed our stay mainly due to the first section. Would we go back? Well it's a long way from the UK and the world is a big place to limit yourselves to visiting the same place over and over again. But, yes, we would. We made friends there and that, perhaps, is sometimes more important than everything else.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 8165 which overlooked the pool and the beach.
1 Thank jinty2cats
Nebraska
Reviewed 30 November 2013

This resort leaves you asking for nothing, but the area where it exceeds the most is in the service offered by all the staff. The resort is a good size in # of rooms and also layout. (Not too big, not too small). The food was excellent including the room service. My favorites were hibachi grill at Oriental, Lobster house, and the French restaurant. Everyday, a different theme of food/entertainment was served right on the beach. The desserts delivered in our secret room service box was a nice touch! I loved the mini bar (which is stocked with top shelf liquor and wine). You can request anything. And for those of you who are really picky - they serve Budlight. Of course I didn't need that - fine with all other drinks and Corona. The snacks left in the mini bar and in the room are a nice touch too. Laughing as I think of us eating the snickers and m&m's and noticing that they tripled our supply on day 3.
The rooms are my favorite. Of course you could splurge on the 2 story roof top terrace room and completely spoil yourself or just be an easy to please Nebraska girl with a hot tub on the balcony that is indoor or outdoor. I looked forward to that everynight after returning from the beach or pool. Very private and loved the view. I emailed the resort before our trip and requested the building and floor our rooms be on and they honored that at check in and had responded to me via email. Our travel companions got an awesome ocean view. The rooms are very large and feel like your home for a week. They have concierge for every building so anything needed is just a dial away. Shower is awesome too. Luxurious and large. Walk in closet in every room. The sports bar let us keep up with our favorite FB teams and the night club was good for late night fun! The gym is as good as you can expect at a resort and they did offer several classes every day such as Zumba, yoga, crossfit, kickboxing and some others. All kinds of activities. NO VENDORS - yeah! Great water sports right from your beach. Can see Isla Mujeres from the beach. Lots of beds on beach and around pool. Pool is happening around main area and very quiet around lazy river. Pretty mild overall compared to many we have been too. The beach is beautiful. The first day we arrived there was an unbelievable amount of seaweed from a storm the week before. I was very dissappointed and by the 2nd and 3rd day it was a true makeover. The staff worked hard to clear it. It then met our expectations. I have stayed at more pristine beautiful beaches but this is very good. The resort grounds are beautiful, lush, and very well maintained. Might be a little more windy (only 1-2 days) than compared to Riviera Maya area. The staff here is unbelievable. They meet your every needs without us even asking. It really blows my mind. They would ask what we want for breakfast when calling to get a wakeup call. Always a step ahead. Entertainment was good - always a bit better at adult only resorts. A few small things go a long way such as not having to hassle with the whole towel/key situation. They just stock beach towels everywhere. You can take as many as you want. Don't need to turn them in. Don't need to get a card for them, etc. Also, no towel/chair game. If there are towels on a chair and no one has been there for 30 min., the staff just remove them and allow others to use the chairs. Never had a problem getting chairs anywhere. Very much an American traveled resort which is unusual to me. In fact, there were many, many people from our home state, NE. There were other countries represented as well, just not as much as usual. That is neither here nor there. Overall, excellent resort. Definitely recommend it. Now want to try the other Excellence resorts

7 Thank travagkll
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review, and for recommending us with all Trip Advisor readers.

Thank you for letting us know how memorable and special was your stay, due to our resort facilities and atmosphere, the food & drinks quality encountered, and the outstanding service provided by our staff members, who always attended to your needs.

We are looking forward to welcome you back and have another opportunity to pamper you with our service creating another experience to remember.
Putnam, Connecticut
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We stayed at EPM for 7 nights in September 2013, for our wedding anniversary. This was the 3rd year in a row we have visited to the resort. We just love this place and will keep coming back. Can't imagine finding better service anywhere. All of the hotel employees go out of their way to make sure the guests are happy.

Most days we had buffet for breakfast and pizza for lunch. For dinner, we ate at most of the restaurants as well as room service, and the food was good all around. We tried the Basmati restaurant for the first time on this visit. I was a little concerned going into this meal, but it turns out this was the best dinner we have had at EPM. The waiters are helpful with explaining the menu and ordering. It was a 2 hour meal, but it flew by. There are a lot of courses, and the food is absolutely delicious.

For our anniversary, the hotel prepared a special dinner at the Lobster House. The night before we left to head home, a second special dinner was provided at Chez Isabel in the wine cellar. The service is normally fantastic as a rule, but it is truly out of this world when they serve the special dinners. At Chez Isabel, the chef came out and created an elaborate desert on a large glass platter right in front of us.

On this visit, we were fortunate to meet Virginia the general manager, which was a real treat. She told us a lot about the history of the resort as well as future plans. Virginia was very nice and accommodating, and a fountain of information. After reading all the positive comments about Virginia here on TA, we felt like we were talking to a celebrity.

Extra thanks to Daniella for taking such good care of us and making arrangements for our special dinners. She greeted us cheerfully as soon as we entered the resort, and went out of her way to make sure everything was flawless throughout our visit.

For our airport transfers, we used Best Day this time. In the past, we have used Olympus Tours and American Express Travel as well. They were all great and we would have no problems recommending them to others.

Room Tip: We have only ever stayed in the Excellence Club Junior Suite Ocean Front. The first two visits we w...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#5 of 180 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,375 reviews
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!