“Best all inclusive we've been to!”

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Toronto
“Best all inclusive we've been to!”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

The hotel grounds are beautiful and the room was very clean, although the bed and pillows were not the most comfortable. The bathroom is quite open to the room, which works fine for couples. The location is a little outside the main Cancun hotel area and while lively, this is not a party hotel. The staff are really wonderful and friendly! The beach is nice, but not as good as Varadero or Punta Cana, in our opinion. There was a lot of seaweed, but this was due to the time of year and the hotel did a fantastic job of cleaning it off the beach every day. The food is quite good and each a la carte restaurant has a vegetarian menu (you just need to ask for it). We didn't opt in for the excellence club, and don't feel like we missed out at all. The non-excellence club pools and bars are more than enough and the non-excellence club beach has plenty of palapas, beach chairs, etc. The evening entertainment was also really good.

1 Thank SandyTO2009

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,220)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed 1 December 2013

My wife and I stayed there from Nov 11-18 for our 30th Wedding Anniversary. By far It's the most relaxing getaway vacation we've ever had. We stayed in a swim-up suite in Bldg. 6 and it was the perfect location for us. From the moment we arrived until the day we checked out we were treated like royalty. Everything, and we mean everything, about this resort was FIRST CLASS. The service at this resort is beyond outstanding! I'm at a loss for words to describe the overall quality of the staff, the facilities, the rooms, the pools, the food, the spa, the entertainment, etc.

We have a few people to mention who truly deserve a 5-star rating for the services they provided during our stay:

1) Mario at the Front Desk graciously accommodated all of our special requests every time. He even moved an incoming guest to another room so that we can have a late check-out. Thank you Mario. You were superb.

2) The bartender at the Revive bar (can't remember his name) provided excellent service throughout our stay. On one occasion, he went out of his way to get my wife some Margaritas, which were not available at the Revive Bar. He didn't have to do that, but he did anyway so thank you for going the extra mile for your guests.

3) The entire staff at Chez Isabelle for making our anniversary dinner so special.

4) Fredi (waiter at The Grill) requires a special mention. My wife wanted rice for dinner, which they didn't have on the menu. Fredi said not to worry because he will take care of it. He returned with a bowl of rice and made my wife very happy. Thank you Fredi.

5) The entire staff at the Spa also deserves a great deal of praise, especially Alondra (?? not sure of the name) who gave us a couples massage and facial for my wife. Very friendly and provided excellent service. Thank you Alondra.

6) Emma (our housemaid in Bldg 6) was so nice. She hardly speaks any English but that didn't stop her from being so friendly to my wife and I during our stay. She kept our room meticulously clean for the entire week. Thank you Emma. You were wonderful!

7) Gloria at the Toscana who greeted us every morning with her warm smile. She loves her job and it really shows. Thank you Gloria.

SUGGESTIONS:

1) The swim-up suites are nice and you can easily jump into the lazy river pool but it's very difficult to get back up because they don't have steps/stairs to go back up, unless you go to the other side which is a long way back to your suite. We recommend putting up a stairs/steps at the pool so that guests can easily come back up to their suites without going around the other side. I've seen guests daily who struggled to climb back up from the pool.

2) We suggest you add self-laundry facilities as an option for the guests. Laundry services are available but the prices are outrageous. A lot of guests stay for a week or longer on the average and it would be nice to be able to do laundry so that we don't have to pack up a lot of clothes.

Overall, I would highly recommend this resort for a relaxing getaway vacation. Thank you Excellence Playa Mujeres for a vacation we'll never forget. Muchas Gracias!

Room Tip: If you want a very quiet area stay in Bldgs. 1 thru 5. You will get a lot more privacy in those are...
5 Thank GilCarol
ajijic
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Just returned from EPM, our second trip- last year being Excellence Riviera.

There were no suprises, as we anticipated. Excellence has the formulae down pact
and is consistent in providing a memorable stay.
Service, at every level is absolutely top notch, all the staff are to be commended for
their attitude and most friendly approach. Alberto, at the front desk, will ensure
you are happy with your accomodation.

Again, not having to make restaurant reservations is another big plus. Never spent
more than thirty minutes at the Martini Bar waiting for our table.

Clientele- observed a varied mix of people, and it was obvious the Brits are making
this a favourite destination. It's an eleven flight from the UK to Cancun, fives time
longer than going to Europe- so this gives you an idea on the All Inclusive level of
experience which I believe Mexico is setting the highest standard in the world.
We met one couple from the UK that were staying there for the tenth time.
(No, the resort does not upgrade on loyalty, not their policy).

However, even with all the best testimonials on Excellence there is one aspect
that does disappoint: the beach. Not the resorts fault, it's a fight between
Mother Nature. All the resorts facing east on the entire Riviera face a windward prevailing
wind. As a result the seaweed is virtually uncontrolable, and most days it was
two metres wide at waters' edge. I did not see one person in the ocean all week.
So, be warned, if you love to swim in the ocean, as we do, resorts in this area, most
months of the year, have this problem. Quieter spots can be found, pool side, in several
areas. The younger crowd in the main pool, most afternoons, are well into the tequila etc.
But this is a standard all AL resorts have.

Overall, hard to beat for value for money. No suprise Trip Advisor published last
week the Top Ten All Inclusives in the WORLD, and EPM was number five!
And five others of the ten are also in Mexico.
So, there you have it. If you go, please, please tip. It's only a few dollars a day,
and, heaven knows, all these great employess deserve it.

Robert Taylor.
Ajijic. Jalisco, MX

Room Tip: Buildings one to six are all fairly quiet. Higher floors best. Downside to swim -ups is the lack...
2 Thank robert t
White Plains, New York
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We spent Thanksgiving week at Excellence Playa Mujeres. The negative was the weather was good not great and that's not even the hotels responsibility. After that, it is all positive. The people, the service, the food, the accomodations, the grounds, the friendliness and professionalism of the staff. it was all wonderful and went by much too quickly. On Thanksgiving afternoon, I sat back, looked out on the sunny panoramic view and quietly gave thanks for my ability to experience a place like the Excellence Playa Mujeres and gave thanks that the Excellence Playa Mujeres exists. Approaching it the right way, it truely is an Excellent experience.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back side in buildings 1-5 do not have a good view. All others do.
2 Thank Peter W
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for the second time in two years. It is by far the best place around. From the moment you walk in you feel welcomed and home. The staff is so friendly and will do anything in their power to please. Everytime it feels like a honeymoon. I can't wait to get back. Would live there if I could.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marco v
Olathe, Kansas
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Our group of 10 selected Excellence Playa Mujeres for our bi-annual couples Caribbean vacation. This is the fourth time we've taken this trip and the group's second time at EPM. Two years ago we made the mistake of going to another resort in the Dominican. The whole time we were at that resort we compared it to EPM and it just didn't stack up. When selecting a destination for this vacation it was a no-brainer.

My husband and I arrived three days before the rest of our group. Since it was just the two of us we were looking for a quiet and relaxing time. We had no trouble finding it. My very favorite spot in the world, the hammocks in the lazy river, provided the perfect spot for reading and I spent much of my time there. We were well cared for by Gladys. She was so friendly and hard-working - our drinks remained cold and constantly refreshed.

Our friends arrived on day three. All of the couples in our group stayed in building six (this is the building my husband and I were in during our first stay). We really like this building because it is close to most everything (on the lazy river…our favorite…restaurants, activities, short walk to the beach) but still tucked away and overall quiet (you can hear a little music until 11 p.m., but if we go to bed before 11 it's not too loud, I can sleep right through it).

The rooms are great, as you've probably read on most other reviews so I won't post too much about that. This time we got a swim up suite (as did two of the other couples). I probably wouldn't have selected or paid more for the swim up suite, but I booked late and those were the only rooms left (next to the ultra expensive roof top suites). There were benefits and draw backs to the swim ups.

Benefit: It was nice to have a room (or on our case three rooms) near the lazy river. We would have room service delivered to one room for lunch and that way we didn't have to get out of the pool when the food arrived. Also it was nice to have a lounge chair in the shade near our room.

Draw back: It was not loud out in the hallway in front of our room, but it was louder than, say, staying on one of the upper floors. If you think about it, everyone who's staying in your building or walking to a nearby building has to walk past the rooms on the first floor, but the only people who walk past a room on the third floor are the people whose rooms are on the third floor. Simply put, there's more traffic.
The other drawback is that there was a storage closet outside of our room. This only happened one out of our eight mornings, staff members started stocking carts with bottles of alcohol and glassware from the closet. Despite the staff members best efforts to be quiet, a 6:45 a.m. wake-up from clanking glass was unwelcome.

The restaurants were great. I did not eat a bad meal while I was there. We ate at Barcelona, Toscana, Agave, The Lobster House, Chez Isabel and Spice. I loved Toscana. If it's a romantic night you're looking for, head to Chez Isabel. Of course, we loved Agave, the margaritas there will blow your mind. They're so much better than any margarita I've ever had.

One thing we like about this resort is that it has every type of scene you could want. You want peace and quiet? Lazy river. You want a party? The pool with the swim up bar. You want to do activities? Water volleyball, biking, archery, target shooting, tours, etc., etc. They have it all. They've added several items since our last visit - fire show on the beach, lunch on the beach.

I celebrated my birthday while I was there. The staff did a fantastic job of making me feel special. Champagne and fruit. The bed was decorated with streamers, balloons and towels folded into candle shapes. They delivered a special dessert to my room and on the plate they had written Happy Birthday in chocolate. Then, at dinner, they again had the table decorated with streamers and balloons along with another special dessert, this one was personalized with my name.

Staff at EPM is top notch. They are so friendly and helpful. Wait staff and the concierge almost anticipates your every need, they know what you want before you do.

We had a problem with our t.v. Upon notifying the front desk they immediately sent someone. Initially the diagnoses was the remote control. Within 10 minutes of the staff member leaving the t.v. was broken again. Rather than mess with it and inconvenience us, when they returned fifteen minutes later they just replaced the whole television.

One complaint: my friends and I were in the Gulf watching a wedding from afar. As the wedding party was taking their spots the staff members running the jet skis decided to pack it up for the day. Groomsmen kept looking over their shoulders uncomfortably, wondering if the noise would stop. Staff revved up the watercraft to put them away and only stopped moments before the bride walked down the aisle.
Though these staff members don't directly deal with weddings I think they need to have an awareness of the many weddings that are happening. If the staff had finished just 30 seconds later the bride would've marched down the aisle to the hum of watercraft. Did they ruin this bride's wedding? Absolutely not. Did they come close? Too close for me. I almost went over and asked them to stop what they were doing until the wedding was done.

Room Tip: We were very happy with building six. I would probably choose 7a next time, simply because I think i...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mamie222
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Allow us to thank you for giving us the opportunity to welcome you and your group back at Excellence Playa Mujeres.

We are glad to know that every time you have stayed with us, you have been able to enjoy of many unique and memorable experiences due to the amazing staff, the high quality food and drinks encountered at our Restaurants and bars, and lastly but no less important, our Resort facilities.

We all look forward to welcome you on your 3rd visit, and to provide you with another memorable experience.
scotland
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Just back from our first visit to this hotel. We stayed for 15 nights in a club room so more than sufficient time to give an honest and, hopefully, constructive critique of EPM.

As a beginning, we have stayed in some first class hotels around the world so we are not new to either the concept of a 'hotel within a hotel' or indeed all-inclusive 5 star. We were new to Mexico so that may temper the review somewhat.

GOOD POINTS

Service - amazing, in fact, overwhelmingly so at times. We asked for a fruit basket for our room so we'd snack healthily - a new one arrived EVERY DAY. Not even the inhabitants of London zoo could have eaten the amount of fruit we received during our trip. Great for us but just a litte too much. Beach service was fanastic and special mention must go to Paul, Mariana and Raquel here. What a friendly and helpful bunch, nothing was too much trouble. In fact, Paul is wasted here, he should be in a suit powering up the management ladder he's that smart.

Justified praise also to Ernesto, Lorenzo and Gloria at Toscana breakfast who all serenaded me on my birthday and were such a great laugh during the time there. They all deserve a medal.

Likewise mad Victor at the gym, the concierges at the club, esp Ruvi, and almost everyone you passed. Truly wonderful service.

MEDIOCRE POINTS

Food - this goes against the majority of comments here so you can either ignore as a very subjective picky opinion or file under not that important. Firstly, do not order room service - it's just plain bad. Secondly, all of the restaurants suffer from the same problem I.e. over promising and under delivering with the exception of breakfast at Toscana's. And that includes Chez Isabelle, touted as the best in resort. It's excruciatingly pretentious (where do I start here? The silver domes simultaneously removed with a flourish and tapped together, repeated over and over again. If you didn't have tinnitus before you sat down, you certainly left with it! The Mexican waiters addressing everyone as 'meeshur' or 'madam'. And so on....) and the food is just ok. We've been to France many times - good French food is honest, simple, and tasty. Fine dining is a world removed from that offered at CI. As I said, it's just ok. Best restaurants? As already mentioned, breakfast at Toscana, the food in the concierge club room was excellent, The grill room and Spice.

All of the restaurants suffer from one other problem which is lighting. Download a flashlight app for your phone - I kid you not!!

Beach is one of the worst we've stayed at despite strenuous efforts made by the hotel to remove the sea grass daily. Litter was a problem as well. I'm prepared to accept that it's better at different times of the year but if you're a beach lover, then this may not be for you.

BAD POINTS

There aren't really any worth mentioning which would put you off going to EPM. I have reservations on going to different restaurants I.e. Basmati, Spice, CI, etc, and seeing Mexican waiters, MD's having to dress up in the supposed national costume of that particular themed restaurant. By all means offer those alternatives, but in this day and age, do we really have to have this pretend dress up for us tourists? It just made me uncomfortable and embarrassed for the serving staff.

And that's that. A long, perhaps overlong, review of our stay in Playa Mujeres. It may not sound like it, but we enjoyed our stay mainly due to the first section. Would we go back? Well it's a long way from the UK and the world is a big place to limit yourselves to visiting the same place over and over again. But, yes, we would. We made friends there and that, perhaps, is sometimes more important than everything else.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 8165 which overlooked the pool and the beach.
1 Thank jinty2cats
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#7 of 175 in Cancun
Secrets The Vine Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!