“Great Place!”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Detroit, Michigan
“Great Place!”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Just came back a couple of weekends ago. We were fortunate to just miss the poor weather. You are rolling the dice going to Cancun in August, September, October, and November. Our cab driver said those months are rainy.

The room was excellent! Fully stocked bar and fridge, a "flashdance" style shower, couch,hot tub, and big screen tv. All in good condition and modern.

The food was very good for an all inclusive! Did not have a bad meal besides room service.(disappointing eggs benedict). All the restaurants were very good with no reservations needed however we had to wait 2 hours to get into the french restaurant. We simply had to drink more or one night we went to the tapas bar which was great food and fast!

We upgraded our room which was not really worth it in my opinion. They tell you it is the only way to get an ocean view, yet we did not have an ocean view from the first floor. They offered to move us, but we were near two other couples so we didnt. You get top shelf liquor at the bar so it isnt really worth upgrading in my opinion.

The beach is poor. No fault of Excellence. They were out every single day trying to remove the sea weed. Even if they did, it is one of the beaches that is not in a cove or very scenic.

The biggest problem was the wine. They included some god awful house wine...my wife said the savignon blanc was drinkable, but the reds were horrid! This cost me more money becuse of course they have a wine list to purchase wine. All the liquor drinks were excellent with quality alcohol but with dinner you like a decent glass of wine.

Saw 2 great shows. A Michael Jackson imitator and a fire show( way better than what you would think of).

Room Tip: High up. A lot of foilage blocks the ocean on first floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,188)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Lexington, KY
Reviewed 4 December 2013

What can I say that hasn't already been said? My husband and I went for my 50th and upgraded to the Excellence Jr. Suite Oceanfront in building 9. While not exactly ON the beach it was a very short walk and the view was excellent! We also had a view of the excellence club pool below which was nice. The room was decorated for my birthday with balloons and streamers, and there was cake and chilled champagne waiting! Huge room, great balcony, indoor/outdoor jacuzzi, great service. We loved the extra attention we got in our private section of the beach. Chairs made up as soon as we picked our spot, never too crowded, and great service all day. Didn't experience much of the nightlife but what we did see was good. Grounds were perfect, never saw so much as a gum wrapper on the ground. Even though it was at or near capacity, it never seemed crowded. On the night of my birthday we didn't decide where to eat until the last minute, they had the table decorated and a special dessert for me. Unbelievable! I could go on but I'm just saying what pretty much everyone else does. It was as close to perfection as I think we'll ever get!

Room Tip: Building 9 was close to everything but quiet. We had a third floor room and the view was outstandin...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Cocoa, Florida
Reviewed 3 December 2013

My husband and I traveled 11/4-11/10 for our Honeymoon and couldn't be happier with our decision. We booked EPM through Travel Impressions (great service as well) because of the amenities and pricing and were excited for not only our Honeymoon, but also our first trip out of the country AND our first trip to an all-inclusive. For those of you who what the abbreviated version of this review: This place is absolutely amazing. Great food, rooms, drinks, people and amenities. The ONLY downfall is the beach which due to the way that the resort faces has a lot of wind and therefore a lot of seaweed. Not enough to keep us away. That being said we are awaiting our return trip and have no qualms about staying here again and again.

To start with: from the moment we arrived at EPM (the drive up is absolutely beautiful) we felt pampered. The staff is ridiculously friendly and we were greeted with cool towels and champagne. Check in was quick and easy and despite the fact that we arrived early and couldn't officially check in, they held our bags and gave us a beeper and told us to get some food and enjoy the rest of the resort. We ended up napping in one of the roofed cabana beds and our room was ready an hour before it was supposed to be. We had a minor snag because they didn't have on file that this was our honeymoon but quickly remedied this and the only thing we missed was the banner on the door (they have banners to signify honeymoon or anniversary etc) for when we entered our room which after my husband asked they put it up immediately. Minor inconvenience that was easily overlooked based on the overall beauty of the resort. Everything just looks pristine and clean. The room was all that we could have asked for and more HOWEVER the bathrooms (as you may have seen in other reviews) could use an overhaul. There is 0 privacy as the door for the toilet is clouded glass AND doesn't reach the ceiling OR floor! But where that part lacked it made up for with an amazing shower. I am STILL missing that shower.

We had a swim up room in the 7000 building which was a nice central location although we could definitely hear the entertainment which was great sometimes and a pain others. We NEVER used the swim up for the room because we had what I would call a boring pool spot (others may want this) with a freezing pool because of it's sun exposure and a lukewarm hot tub. We preferred to head to the main pool where all of the activities occurred. We played countless games of pool and beach volleyball, trivia and even saw a drink making class while we got some sun. Plenty of chairs and cabanas but there could be more of the blue floating rafts. Hindsight I would only pay for the swim up room if I could choose the building as all of the suites had a great balcony with a shaded daybed and table and chairs for relaxing.

Drinks are great and ever flowing- you can get what you want when you want it. My fave was the resort's namesake; The Excellence :)

Food was always great and there were abundant choices. Each evening you will receive a newsletter with the events for the next day and which restaurants were closed for the evening (sometimes that was a pain because we tried to plan for the week and had to change due to this). We did end up being able to go to every place we wanted minus Toscana for dinner (breakfast and lunch there were the best). Be prepared for a dress code specifically for men because for all of the restaurants dressier clothing is required. I will say however that there were a TON of men who weren't following this dress code and the staff didn't seem to police it at all. Absolutely favorite was the Festival de Taco that was the event thrown one night at Agave restaurant. Such authentic amazing food and we were greeted with a shot of tequilla! Otherwise make sure to go to Flavor Market and try the tapas- our waiter did a great job of realizing we had never been to a Tapas place and not only offered suggestions but also ensured that we understood the menu. The ONLY thing lacking in the food area is good coffee! The coffee was really strong and I just chose mimosa's instead :)

Every single person we interacted with was polite and professional. We had 0 issues with language barriers as everyone spoke English and we loved saying "Hola" to everyone when we would pass. For how amazing these staff members are I would say that there is a negative side to going to a resort that is a higher priced resort and that is the guests can be very....spoiled. The only thing that bothered me at the resort was something that the staff had no control over and that was oblivious and disrespectful people. For example our room looked out onto one of the hot tubs and on our 4th night we had a loud arrival from our new neighbors who decided that they didn't care if the pool/hot tubs closed at 8p and started taking shots on the back porch and being obnoxious in the hot tub. We are all there to have fun but make sure you are aware of your surroundings!

This was absolutely everything I wanted our honeymoon to be and I couldn't have asked for a better time. After doing some more research when we came back and scouring all of the negative reviews on this resort these seem like one off situations which cannot be avoided. I would love to come here again and again and can definitely see how EPM has such amazing reviews and is #5 in best all-inclusives for the year!

Room Tip: For us swim up suite was not a necessity, any room with a balcony will be equally lovely.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
We thank you for having taken time to post a review about your experience at Excellence Playa Mujeres and for choosing our hotel as your honeymoon destination. We wish you well in this especial step in your lives.

We thank you as well for recommending us with all Trip Advisor readers and for mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. We will ensure that your amiable comments reach the eyes and ears of all our staff. It means so much more when it comes from the opinion of our valued guests.

We look forward to having the opportunity to receive you on your next Caribbean holiday and to make your stay with us a pleasant one.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

One of the best hotels I have stayed in. Spent 4 days in November in this wonderful hotel, staff are amazing and the choice in restaurants is very good. The Indian restaurant was extremely good. Don't miss the Pizza's near the pool.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
North East UK
Reviewed 3 December 2013

This is truly a wonderful hotel and we just keep on going back.......

We spent a cheeky week here in November 2013 which was our 10th visit to the hotel since it opened.

Virginia and her team go above and beyond to always make our stays very special, we know most of the staff as friends now and they all look after us as they do with every guest.

We travelled with Thomas Cook, really not recommended as they treat you like cattle. We were tricked at the airport into upgrading into premium economy but when we got on the plane we were informed that we had just upgraded our seats as they no longer have a premium cabin service. Don't even get me started about our flight back as a passenger had an accident and every one from around her moved into these seats free of charge and then she and her husband also moved in. Thomas cook airlines are terrible.

We arrived at the hotel and were given a free upgrade into our second favourite room 4401, the room had been filled with flowers and lots of other wonderful gifts arrived, THANK YOU

We are easy to please travellers and spend most of our time around the pool bar as we like the lively entertainment, the entertainment team are fantastic, please if you go to this hotel spend a little time talking to them and joining in with them they will all make your holiday better.

We ate in quite a few of the restaurants this time, we usually cant be bothered, we visited the Mexican for the first time and loved the Steaks that much we went back twice. The menus have changed but the food quality continues to be top notch, we heard one guy complaining the portions were small, well just order another one.

We were very lucky with the weather but had one full day of the most torrential rain, so we just went and played games in the main theatre with the entertainment team and got very drunk so nothing was spoilt, they even served lunch here.

We love this place and go at least twice a year, the staff, food, rooms and everything about the place is just fantastic. We would like to say a massive thank you to all the staff but can we say a special thank you to the following members of staff who made this visit extra special this time around

Gloria the little waitress who always made sure our drink was full around the bar on an evening
Alexander the F & B manager who is always checking your ok, despite his rubbish taste in English Football, he follows Newcastle United
Ernisto and Lorenzo the two waiters at breakfast who make getting up early a joy
Narciso Rodriguez the manager of the Mexican restaurant who went out of his way every time
And lastly Virginia and Daniela who are a very safe pair of hands on this very big ship

We will see you all again soon, have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year

Love from Andy and Maureen Close

Room Tip: Our favourite rooms overlook the Sol bar in block 9 but every room here is great
Moorestown, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed at ALL EXCELLENCE properties for a total of 12 visits! EPM is by far the absolute BEST!!! Management is on THEIR Game!!! We especially want to give a warm HUG to Daniella Parra for her meticulous job she does. She must love her position as it shows to perfection!

The suites are always cleaned nicely everyday, Gluten-free, as I am is nicely catered to. I had asked for any gluten-free pasta inToscana for dinner one evening, no problem. One of the waiters went to SPICE for rice based noodles so that I can enjoy Bolognese!

We celebrated our 17th wedding anniversary. On retiring to our room one evening, rose petals were scattered from door to spa tub with champagne and flutes waiting. Homemade truffles were on the table, swansmade from towels etc...
Mille Spa was a wonderful experience. I only remember Martha, she was wonderful!!! (I left out the other therapists name as I forgot). She was superb as well.

We went in May of 2013, and the beach and water was fantastic at that time!!! Entertainment staff were excellent. The 2 young guys(sorry, forgot names) who played pool volleyball with us were loads of fun!! Kudos to them

This coming May 2014, we will be back to visit your lovely resort!! It will be OUR 14th stay at EXCELLENCE Resort. But, EPM is truly the BEST.... I can't believe they are part of the ERC resort as that property fails miserably.... Please , we request our same swim out room # 7006. See ya soon!

Room Tip: love the swim outs in 7000 bldg. 7002-7009.. Nice sun, pretty views of property
Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Another wonderful time at EPM! This was our third time at this beautiful, peaceful resort, but will definitely not be our last. We booked a two week stay this time and enjoyed great weather for all but one day, when it rained for the entire day. However, the staff added fun activities in the main building, which helped to entertain everyone who went there.

As always, the staff was top-notch, as was the food, drinks, pools, and gym. My husband and I especially enjoyed the Flavor Market (tapas bar) and Basmati (Indian, which has gotten even better since our last stay here). Cafe Kaffe serves all types of custom coffee drinks, which we also appreciated. We took advantage of the live entertainment each evening, and particularly enjoyed Havana's Band and local singer Claudia Trevino, as well as the theater productions of Michael Jackson Evolution and Madonna. The grounds are beautiful and well-kept; the entire resort is very clean and attractive.

It is our understanding that only the main pool - where the pool bar is located - is heated during cooler months. The other pools were chilly until mid-afternoon. There was only one jacuzzi that could be described as warm. There was always covered seating available, although perhaps not in the location that you wanted.

Although not necessary, we tip the maid, pool service, and waiters. These people give consistently exceptional, friendly service. It doesn't take a lot of money; we take a few hundred dollars in 1s and 5s. Think about it - you tip at home, often for service that is less than stellar - so why not here?

The only complaint that we had was definitely not the fault of the hotel. THIS IS A PEACEFUL, RELAXING, ADULTS-ONLY RESORT. A few of the guests, for some unknown reason, seemed to think that they were at a "party hearty" fraternity house or in Ocean City, MD/Virginia Beach. Not so. If your idea of a good time is to behave like a drunken idiot, please book a room in the Cancun Hotel Zone. Your rights end where everyone else's begin. If you think differently, you will have EPM security at your door with the information that either your behavior improves or you will removed from the premises. We've seen it happen...

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Mujeres