“Mind .... Blown!!”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Atlanta, Georgia
“Mind .... Blown!!”
Reviewed 6 December 2013

This trip was booked as a surprise birthday celebration for my mom’s 60th. .. This hotel was AMAZING!! My Travel Agent offered several option for All-Inclusive Resorts in Mexico, however after reading tons of reviews on TripAdvisor.com AND seeing the Hotel rank was voted “Traveler’s Choice 2013 Winner” we immediately booked the trip

It’s a bit of drive from the airport.. maybe like 20 minutes or so, and after passing through two large Guarded Gates who verified our names and length of stay (which I loved, felt secured) we were greeted with warm towels and glasses of Champagne.
It was that moment when my mother looked at me with that “OH MY GOODNESS” look, she was instantly impressed!

The staff was unbelievably pleasant and beyond accommodating. While being escorted to our room, our bellhop was awesome! As he escorted us to our room, he gave us a mini-tour “Lunch is served here, from blah to blah.. Martinis are delicious at…” and when he asked our names, I was sure it was just to be courteous.. not like he’d remember them. OH NO YES HE DID!! Greeted us by name every time we saw him during our stay. But I have to say my Love was Rueben! He took care of us every day for breakfast.. we even tailed him to the Lobster House for lunch. OMG this guy was sooooooooo nice if I could’ve fit him in my suitcase, he’d be in Atlanta right now! Beyond sweet, beyond accommodating. Seriously the sweetest guy.

Our room was fantastic! We kept laughing at the “Mini-Bar” because there was nothing MINI about it. Literally full sized bottles of alcohol and treats, replenished daily! Our room was on the 1st floor a “Junior Swim Up” across from the Spa which was perfect because there’s a “Lazy River” that flows through the resort. From our patio we could hop right into the water, which was pretty cool!

If you’re reading this you’ll want to know the food and cocktails were awesome!! The French restaurant had the best Filet I’ve had in years.. you think Hotel steak, you think Banquet food.. OH non uh! This was Steakhouse - Chops qualify. And again excellent service.
We spent a lot of time at the Martini Bar.. where no one’s glass was empty!

Again the trip was for my mom’s 60th… I was sure for her b-day dinner they’d sing Happy Birthday.. maybe bring by a slice of cake which would have been great. Hmph! Welll…… it started with the Concierge calling to wish her Happy Birthday that morning and continued from there! From a bottle Champagne and chocolate cake being delivered, to the staff decorating our room.. Dinner was perfect! The table was decorated adorably and the staff sung again. Mommy was definitely a Happy Birthday Girl!

Also want to mention, we met a bunch of lovely people. Mostly couples honeymooning or celebrating anniversaries.. we even got to watch a Wedding! Everyone is so nice.. a shout out to Linda and Paul! We’ve made plans to visit them in Boston or meet again at Excellence!

Don’t hesitate .. Book this Hotel right now! You definitely won’t be disappointed….

Room Tip: Definitely enjoyed the Swim up suite / It's right of the Lazy River / It's 1st floor so no f...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Erin M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,144)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

This was our first visit trip to Mexico-but certainly not the last.We were unsure what to expect,but our expectations were wildly exceeded.The resort is beautiful in every respect,position decor in the rooms and throughout the resort and the restaurants are all first class. But what sets this resort apart from all others is the warmth and genuine feeling that all the staff want to make you feel as if you were at home and want to do their utmost that even the smallest request is dealt with immediately .
If you want to be super critical you can always find something to complain about. However you can rest assured it will be dealt with efficiently by the caring staff.
We opted for the club excellence which gave some additional benefits,separate areas by the pool and beach plus lovely little extras in the room which was worth the small extra cost.
We can't wait to go back!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Reviewed 6 December 2013

The Hotel is fabulous! All the staff and installations are magnificent!
If you are looking for the best confort and luxury, go for the Club Excellence rooms, many advantages and exclusive áreas and services, we highly recommend it. It was the perfect end for a lovely vacation in Mexico.
We highly enjoyed the Spa and the activities.
Go for it, you will not regreat.

1 Thank yarelicar
Yorktown, Virginia
Reviewed 6 December 2013

My husband and I came her for our honeymoon in early June, per the recommendation of our travel agent. The minute we pulled up to the front door we were greeted with warm, moist lemon scented hand towels and cool glasses of sparkling wine. The layout of the resort is easy to learn and everything is centrally located. Everywhere you go, the staff is friendly and willing to assist you with every need. Our room was impecable, we had amazing view of the pools and main courtyard area. We took advantage of the view with daily breakfast on our balcony and drinks at night. Our minibar was restocked daily and our room was cleaned twice a day. The second time the staff came in they did-up our bed for sleep, they folded out the blankets, turned on the reading/mood lights, left chocolates on our pillows and an itinerary for the next day. The service is one of the most impressive aspects of this resort, they make you feel like family and you dont want to leave. The food and shows were amazing too, there was never a dull moment there. My husband was initially not interested in going to a resort were we would just lay out on the beach all day, he is the one that wants to go back now! They have so many activities that if you dont like the beach, ITS OK! They have archery, riffle shooting, biking, beach volleyball, the list goes on! Over all it was an amazing experience to spend our honeymoon with Excellence Playa Mujeres, I would recommend them over and over again.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the courtyard have amazing views!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aparchuk
Iowa
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Just returned from our trip to EPM, everything we read on Trip Advisor was true, the good stuff anyway. We were treated like royalty from the moment we stepped out of our taxi to the time we left. The staff is very helpful and well trained. We spent a majority of our time during the day laying by the pooling and relaxing. The servers in the pool area keep us supplied with drinks, there were games and contests if you wanted to participate and plenty of chairs with shade. At night we hit the restaurants and were impressed like the service, the waiters were very professional. We struggled to come up with anything that could be better, our rooftop terrace pool was cold, had the temp bumped up and it was still too cold by the time we got back to our room at night. I think that had more to do with the season than anything. By the way, we loved our roof top terrace room, We spent time each day lounging on the day beds and listening to the ocean. Great resort, we are already looking for a date to go back.

Room Tip: 7420 - faces the ocean and overlooks one of the Excellence pools. Very quiet and the roof top terra...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I pick this place because it was rated number 2 in cancun, it was average, it rained for a few days so I didn't get to enjoy the beach much. We upgraded room but I didn't see much difference. You don't need reservations for the restaurants the buffet was the best. I have been all over and I wouldn't rate this 5 or 4 stars. I didn't get the wow effect. Fridge in my room was broken I was told it was just a cooler. Smell of mold and shopping not the greatest. Guest in the hotel were trashed most of the times, I didn't get my room cleaned on my last day because one of the guest put I do not disturb sign on my door.

Room Tip: Don't up grade is not worth it.
1 Thank Laura M
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed 5 December 2013

This place was unreal!! Me and my Wife stayed here 8 day for our honeymoon and we couldn't have been happier. From the moment we set foot on the the property we felt like were in paradise. Back home more then 10 people recommend this place to us, and we are so glad we took there advise. The beach could have been better, but the pool staff, the bartenders, and the food we outstanding. We are looking to book again for our anniversary!!!

Room Tip: we loved the 2 story room with pool ocean view!! it was worth the extra money
1 Thank Sinister135
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#6 of 175 in Cancun
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!