“2nd trip - started disappointing, finished off the charts”

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Reviewed 25 January 2014

This was our second 2 week stay at the very beautiful Excellence Playa Mujeres in the past two years. Having had bad experiences prior with "all inclusive" type resorts, we hesitated trying again, but a strong recommendation from a corporate travel agent changed our minds to try an Excellence resort. The resort is as beautiful as the pictures but the beach does struggle with seaweed on an ongoing basis and on more days than not, the red flags were flying. The rooms are stunning, large, clean and well appointed. Both times we upgraded to the "Club" and in our opinion its well worth the money. The Club lounge is lovely with oversized couches, computer desks, a bar and food the entire time its open and the staff are courteous, polite, accommodating and address you by name (Mr or Mrs) right from the get-go.
We booked an Excellence Club Oceanview Swim up suite again as we did on our first trip, sent multiple email requests for the same area and booked well in advance. Herein is where the disappointment set in. There is a marked difference between the suites located at the heated Excellence Club pool, complete with a bar and a Concierge stand (suites 8071-8063), than any of the other oceanview swim up suites or even the other Excellence Club only pool area in section 9(no bar, no oceanview). On our first trip, we stayed in 8068 and were blown away. Talk about your luxury location. We faced east so we had the sun until mid-afternoon, a private pool area, a bar with amazing waiters and of course, the Concierge right there; who would come and make our sun beds virtually the moment we opened the sliding glass door to our terrace - it was heaven on earth and in actual fact, we barely left the area - we had no need to except for dinner when we didnt feel like ordering room service (which by the way is fantastic - large menus to choose from and an even more expansive menu for Club members to order from). We absolutely loved our first 2 weeks there and definitely planned to go back. So when we booked an Excellence Club, Oceanview Swim Up Suite for 2 weeks again, naturally we assumed we would be placed in the same area (perhaps not the same room, but in the same area as that is what we thought we paid for) our anticipation of what we thought we would be expecting was beyond something for us to look forward to especially given the weather in Toronto ahead of our departure. When we arrived we were warmly welcomed "Home", offered a cold towel, a glass of champagne and quickly whisked off to the Club Lounge for check in while Carlos brought our bags. It was shortly thereafter we learned we had been placed in 8053 even though there was a note on our file confirming our request for 8068. After asking to see the hotel map, we quickly figured out that we were not in the private heated pool area(we like our privacy and quietness on vacation, sorry people but the public pools are too cold & noisy for my taste), we faced north (ie no sun) and not a bar or concierge in sight. Technically it was an oceanview, swim up suite with Excellence club privileges but given what we experienced on our first trip, we were bitterly disappointed and immediately expressed our displeasure only to be told there were no rooms available in the area we wanted. This was not acceptable as we booked this many many months earlier and we expected the same experience. To make a long story short, and while I believe my griping on social media may have also made a difference (given the immediate responses from their twitter site), 2 days later we were moved to 8066. I hope that the resort is reading is; Delah, YOU are the reason we will be back for our 3rd visit very soon (April). To say that you are compassionate, understanding and accommodating is an understatement - the Excellence Group should count themselves lucky to have someone like you in their employ. Our next 12 days was off the charts! You arranged so many extra special things for us supported by the efforts of Paul & Marianna; we truly appreciated all your efforts to ensure our second experience was ultimately even better than our first. Thank you. Cynthia & Troy DaSilva

7  Thank CynthiaC9119
Write a ReviewReviews (12,515)

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Love this adults only resort. We have stayed at several other 5 stars in the Mayan and this one is up there with the others (Azul Sensatori and Grand Sunset Princess) Rooms were clean and the staff were helpful and friendly. We requested rooms near our friends and we were pleasantly surprised when we were located next door to them. Beach was so-so, therefore we spent more time in the pool (ocean was rough and murky). Foods was fantastic and they were very accommodating for my gluten free diet. Very glad we picked this place!!

Room Tip: Swim up room are worth the upgrade. It's handy to be on the main floor to access the room easily...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MegsandTrevor
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Perfect location and service for a quick trip birthday trip with my best friend! I highly recommend upgrading your stay with the Excellence Club suites. The level of service and attention was well worth the extra cost.

Room Tip: Swim up ocean view room! Walk outside and jump into the pool all while having a great view of the oc...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Lili C
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Returned "home" to Excellence Playa Mujeres for the 4th time and were not disappointed.

It starts with a glass of champagne and a "welcome home" from Carlos, the bellboy as he escorts you to the Club all the while telling you about the resort which restaurants are closed and the shows. Received a similar welcome at the Club and were seated and enjoyed a very smooth and efficient check in with Marlen. Although our room wasn't ready we were delighted to to learn we were assigned the same room we enjoyed our last vacation. Awesome; thanks Ruvicelia. Ocean front overlooking the Club pool with a great view of the ocean. After a night out we would stop at the Club where Jamie would serve up some Bailey's which we drank on our balcony, listening to the waves and enjoying the breeze. This is reason why day beds were invented.

While waiting for our room we wandered off for lunch at Toscana where we were greeted by the bright smiles of Gloria and Shehily. Although it was raining we ate outside, covered of course. When we left Ontario earlier that day it was the coldest day on record so a little rain was not going to bother us. As it turned out this became our pattern for breakfast and lunch on most days, enjoying the day while Ernesto or Lorenzo tried to keep our glasses full.

We took advantage of the Excellence package and liked the added touches provided by the Club and concierge group. You have your own private pool area with bar service. At the pool Marianna and Paul took very good care of our needs, maintained our chairs while off to lunch or a walk. We were regularly offered interesting drinks and snacks throughout the day.

We did not eat at all the restaurants but greatly enjoyed Chez Isabelle(French), Toscana(Italian), The Grill, Spice(Asian) and Agave(Mexican). We were there on an anniversary package and often found our table decorated with rose petals. Toscana was special and Adrian our waiter was attentive and made awesome recommendations. Try the dual soup, you'll want more than 1 bowl. All the food was excellent with great presentation but I continue to be baffled by those that insist on taking a picture of their plates before they enjoy the food; not a photo album I want to see.

Special thanks to Alfonso, Willy and the concierge staff for the very memorable anniversary dinner arranged for us in the wine cellar at Chez Isabelle. Everything was perfect from the romantic decor, the food selection and awesome dessert. If the dinner was not enough we came back to our room to find rose petals leading to a drawn and decorated hot tub and champagne. It was a night to remember.

We know many of the added touches we experienced were probably due to the fact it was our 4th visit to this resort and we certainly appreciated the added attention. Having said that, this resort excels at service and meeting your needs. So whether you are going for the first time or returning you will definitely enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: Allthough you hope it doesn't rain, you can practically walk the resort under covered walkways...
9  Thank DeeDeeOntario
Reviewed 23 January 2014

My fiance and I spent 5 nights at Excellence Playa Mujeres in Jan 2014. I have only been to one other all inclusive resort in the Cancun area (The Royal Playa Del Carmen) and I booked Excellence based on all the wonderful reviews, as well as a friend's recommendation.

Some background: I am 29 years old. I am looking for a vacation that is on the ocean, all inclusive, highly rated, that has a lot to offer for food and activities, as well as a powdery white beach.

I was disappointed the first day we arrived, because the beach and water had a lot of seaweed in it. Over the next few days we were there, the water and beach improved and looked much better. I understand they had a lot of bad weather in that area in the recent past as well as the past year in general, which I think was part of the beach issue. So with the better weather, I didn't have issues with the beach. It has powder white sand and that is a plus for me.

We booked this trip to determine if we would want our destination wedding at this resort in 2015.

I was pleasantly surprised at the good mix of people- there were young people and older people. I really appreciated that it wasn't one age group or another.

We booked a regular room and were given the option to upgrade when we checked in at the front desk. The deal they quoted for the upgrade seemed reasonable and feeling in the moment, we decided to do it (I normally am one to not spend more money on an upgraded room, but this one had a ton of private outdoor space that excited me). We upgraded to a room on the top floor in building 7. It was amazing... it had the private rooftop terrace with the little hydro pool and 2 daybeds. What I specifically enjoyed about this room was the location. It was with a great ocean view AND we had a very private rooftop because of the building we were in (we were in room 7420 and no one could really see you at all on your rooftop). It was quiet and we spent every morning laying out up there, as the sun came up right in front of us. The small pool was cold, yet while laying out up there, it was really nice to cool off in that water. We brought a bluetooth speaker and relaxed with music and the beautiful ocean view. Then in the late morning, we would go to the pool/beach and spend the afternoon down there relaxing, drinking, and chatting with lots of other couples. If you enjoy some alone time with your own outdoor space, I totally recommend the rooftop terrace room upgrade. Bear in mind, not all locations/buildings will be as peaceful, but it just depends on what is important to you.

We did NOT do the Excellence Club upgrade. To me it was very expensive and not much that would benefit my fiance and I. Do your research about what is included and decide for yourself.

During our stay, it was easy to find places at the pool that were quiet (especially to the right of the main pool if you are looking at the ocean), yet the main pool had a lot more action- music and activity, which was nice. Again, if you want peace and quiet then to me you should stay up in your rooftop terrace so you won't be bothered by others around you. To me, having things going on and music playing in certain areas is nice and expected.

Everyone seemed to gravitate towards the lounge chairs that are under an umbrella. I had no problem picking a chair that was in the sun, so we never had an issue finding a chair. We both brought fedoras to wear so we could keep our face out of the sun if we wanted to.

Shout out to Rodrigo. He was a waiter at the pool (we were near the ocean on the side of the Grill restaurant near the hammocks... part of the lazy river). He was extremely friendly and we tipped him and got the best service ever. He and my fiance were on a first name basis and he remembered my fiances name every day we were there. Tip the people that serve you, even if it is only a few dollars. They deserve to know that you appreciate them. He rocked and made us feel very special.

Ask for a menu if you are sitting by the pool... they have stuff like nachos and club sandwiches that you can order and they will bring it to you right at the pool. I had both the nachos and the club sandwich and they were both good. It was nice to have something to eat without leaving the pool area. They also have personal sized pizzas you can order at the pool bar. Those are pretty good and easy to get.

The bed in our room was really hard. It felt like we were sleeping directly on springs, however some people prefer a firm bed so I understand that somewhat. Don't hesitate to ask for a mattress topper and different pillows as they are more than happy to accommodate. With the better pillows and mattress topper, it was very comfortable. In general, if you have specific requests, ask!

I also saw another review where they gave praise to the bartender at the Martini bar in the lobby... I don't remember his name, but if you go to this resort you will know exactly who I am talking about. He works at a speed 2x as fast as every other bartender and he does it well. He makes awesome martini's and will start up a conversation with you as he continues to move at the speed of light. He does a great job of working so hard and being personable at the same time. I am sorry I don't remember his name. He deserves a raise!

There is a lot to do and lots of places to eat. With 9 restaurants, there is plenty of variety. (faves include the made to order omelettes and crepes in the morning at the buffet, as well as the shrimp I would order at almost any of the restaurants. Oooo and the filet mignon at the french restaurant was great!) There are fitness classes, bicycle tours, volleyball tournaments, and entertainment daily. We are normally really active people, yet we ended up completely relaxing most of the trip. Despite this, I really appreciated all the things available to us.

I know this review is really long, so I will try and sum this up. Overall this resort has lots to offer because it is secluded, yet has everything you need. The rooms are really nice. (Yes, I agree that the bathroom is very open to the rest of the room and if you are not comfortable with the person you are staying with it may be awkward, however that didn't deter me.) No place is perfect, but this place had a lot going for it and does a great job of catering to different ages and personalities. Do everything, or you can do nothing at all and have a great time. Vacation is about relaxing and trying and seeing something new.

We are fairly confident we will have our destination wedding at this resort in Jan 2015 and really look forward to going back and doing some of the things we didn't get to on this trip. I've heard good things about the bike tour that is daily at 9am, and never made it to Agave to have what i've heard is a really good margarita. (I did have margaritas by the pool that were ok). I hope this review helps even just one person. Happy traveling!

Room Tip: Building 7 has some great ocean views and is quiet. I also think building 9 looked pretty amazing.
22  Thank shannandiane
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review, and for recommending us with all Trip Advisor readers.

We are more than pleased to hear that your experience with us was nothing short of extraordinary. We will ensure that your amiable comments reach the eyes and ears of all our staff at Excellence Playa Mujeres. It means so much more when it comes from the opinion of our valued guests.

We look forward to having the opportunity to receive you on your next Caribbean holiday and maybe to celebrate your wedding as well.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Our all-adult group (6-7 couples) does an annual trip to the Cancun area, and this was our 6th trip. In the past, we've stayed at Secrets Capri (twice) and Secrets Maroma Beach (twice) down by Playa Del Carmen and, last year at Secrets Azul on Cozumel. We wanted something different this year, so after much research and great reviews on here, we tried Excellence Playa Majures. We weren't disappointed. I won't bother to compare it to Secrets Azul because that was a disaster last year. I personally like Capri better than Maroma, but that's only because I prefer a smaller resort. But, Capri was showing its age a bit a couple of years ago. Maroma is similar in size to EPM, and both are very nice, but everything seemed just a notch above at EPM this year.

The grounds are beautiful. I found Maroma a bit stark in it's white stucco buildings, but it's grounds were nice. Not as nice as EPM's, though. The pools at EPM are fabulous. The lazy river was a bit of a waste since it was not heated and was very cold, but the other heated pools (the main pool and the Excellence Club "private" pool by our room) were awesome. Another nice touch compared to the Secrets resorts - EPM has numerous hot tubs scattered about the property. They were always hot (not always the case at Maroma) and were a great place to come off the beach to warm up a bit. They were always being used by groups, and I think I pruned up repeatedly due to our extended time in various tubs.

The food was very good. The sushi/hibachi restaurant was our favorite overall, but we went to the Lobster House our last night, and our group was given a whole area to ourselves. We all ordered lobster, and it was very, very good. I've seen complaints on here about them serving the whole lobster rather than just the tails, but - here's an idea - just don;t bother with the other parts if you don't want to eat them. Brilliant! Anyway, the lobster was fantastic, and our waiter (incredible, and I can't believe I can't remember his name) offered another lobster to any of us who wanted another one. It was a great way to close out our trip. The only complaint I had about the food as compared to Maroma was the lack of a good burger grill by the pool/beach. EPM has a grill right on the beach (and they made a great paella on day), and a pizza oven by the pool that makes really good pizza, but nowhere to just get a good burger and fries. Small complaint, especially balanced with the fact that there's an ice cream machine on the grounds from which you can get ice cream anytime. Little thing, but nice touch. Oh, and I usually hate those theme night things at these resorts, but the Mexican Night at EPM had some of the best authentic Mexican food I've ever had. Definitely don't miss that. The buffet breakfast restaurant was very good, and we didn't discover until the last day that it had a great buffet for lunch, too. In short, you won't go hungry.

The drinks are comparable both places, though I think the ones at EPM are stronger. Although not uniform from bar to bar, the caiparinhas were by and large incredible. Not sure why they feel the need to put a fully-stocked bar in your room, but again, it's a nice touch.

The beach was fine. Not sure why the complaints on here. No, it's not as big as Maroma's or Capri's, but not too small, either. And the seaweed was always cleared off by 9am.

The rooms were very comfortable. The tip on here about requesting a foam mattress pad was a good one. The bed wasn't terribly hard, but the mattress pad did make it better. Never used the jacuzzi tub that overlooked the outside, but some in our group did and enjoyed it. We had an excellence club swim-out room in building 9, and never used the pool behind the room, so probably a waste of the extra money, although the location was great and we DID use the heated pool on the other side of building. Never felt too public like some have said, but I like to be in the middle of everything. Only went into the excellence club lounge twice, so it really wasn't necessary (and there was never anyone in there). I do think the rooftop rooms looked cool, so will look into those on our next trip.

Overall, the place was stunning, The service was awesome and consistent. Every single worker - whether a server, maintenance, groundskeeper, etc - was friendly and polite. You'll never want for anything, and even though that can be said at Maroma or Capri, too, this is probably just a tad bit nicer place. We will be returning next year!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
11  Thank JayhawkIke

It is our pleasure to know that Excellence Playa Mujeres met your expectations, making you feel relaxed and pampered all the time. Our commitment is to make of every guest experience, as exceptional and unique as it can be.

We were pleased to know that your relaxing vacation with us was highlighted by the courteous attention of our staff, comfort room accommodation & amenities, and enjoyable food in our restaurants.

We are definitely looking forward to welcome you back and have another opportunity to pamper you with our service creating another experience to remember.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

The Excellence was our first experience of an all inclusive resort. We selected the Excellence on favourable TA reviews and the hotel facilities. We booked a Club Swim up room.

On the whole our expectations were met ; service was excellent, hotel restaurants were of good quality and room was spacious and well appointed. Check in was slick and professional, glass of sparkling wine on approval and led to club check in and shown straight to our room (check in was after 3).

Room was nice but as per other reviews the shower and toilet area is not too private but didn't really bother us too much. We did have the use of a twin room on the day of our check out (late checkout) and noted that the glass to the shower was opaque so at least your room mate couldn't see you in the shower (although they could still hear you in the loo!).
As above the restaurants were good and you have a nice choice; French, Asian, Indian, tapas etc. We had pre booked a private trip through the hotel and we were very impressed with this although you will pay slightly extra - we would recommend this over our other private trip not booked through the hotel. Spa was very good although expensive, we were not convinced on the free hydro therapy treatment you receive as part of a treatment or receive free in a club room.

We are not used to all inclusive hotels and were a little surprised at the level of alcohol consumption of some guests ; there were a couple of incidents that we saw of over indulgence and the pools can get rather loud by later in the afternoon - perhaps this is the norm and was not a major issue.

A couple of down points which could be easily resolved to dramatically improve this hotel; Consistency, or lack of it ! Most staff are fantastic and provide a great service, a few are not so enthusiastic, don't have the word 'sorry' in their vocabulary and bring the mood down a little. We also found this to be the case in the restaurants - we returned to our 2 favourite ; Spice and the French one and our experience was dramatically different than our initial visit ; 2 courses served together, not re filling your wine and having to ask for more, main course being left under a hot plate for some time before serving so it was a bit dried up etc . Still good but far from excellent.
Room service - we ordered 2 lots of room service. The first was excellent (although be warned, if you ask for the smoked salmon bagels you may get blueberry bagels and you won't get much cream cheese!) but the second was terrible. We rang the night before to order as we had an early start for a trip we'd booked. After much chasing the breakfast turned up 40 minutes late and was completely wrong. The gentleman that delivered the breakfast was incredibly apologetic (that was a first!) and did come back with the correct breakfast (albeit slightly dried up by that stage) but we were pretty fed up by that stage.
Room - our drinks fridge wasn't actually cold !! We asked for this to be resolved and were told they weren't fridges, they just held the bottles and we should use the ice machine !! (We did note that the mini bar in our late check out room was cold so think the initial excuse was wrong or a lie). You have to continually ask for what drinks you want rather than being replaced ; never ever tonic for example even though there was a bottle of Bombay Sapphire in the room - never heard of that classic drink Gin & Coke!) .
House keeping - as per other reviews this doesn't often occur to very late in the afternoon (4.15pm one day). Not a major issue but seemed unusual.

Another tip - a number of people have complained about how uncomfortable the beds are. We didn't have a problem with the mattress (think us Brits prefer a firmer bed) but we didn't get on with any of the pillows provided. We utilised the pillow menu and much more comfortable feather pillows were provided within about 10 minutes.

Overall we were pleased with our stay and would recommend this hotel.
Grounds and facilities are nice with general good service and good choice of restaurants. Highly recommend booking trips through the hotel.

6  Thank MarkPP

Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at Excellence Playa Mujeres with all Trip Advisor Readers.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable.

Our guests experience is important to us, and it is of deep regret to hear that our service was not of your full satisfaction. Although at Excellence Resorts, each member of our staff is continuously trained for the proper development of their duties and to deliver high quality service that exceed the expectations of all our guests.

Your comments are very important to us because give us the opportunity to know better about the aspects we need to work on in order to give the best service, the kind of service our guests deserve. Please rest assured that all the info you have raised have been addressed and that appropriate corrective actions have been taken.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Mujeres
#1 of 177 in Cancun
Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!