“Sun and fun with friends”

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Sun and fun with friends”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

14 of us traveled to the Excellence Playa Mujeres in early February to get away from the cold and have some fun. We had a great time at this hotel and thought for a group trip- this was a perfect place to go. I am not sure if just my husband and I went back we would stay here- but for the group we were with- it was a perfect setup. We enjoyed the Mexican restaurant, French and Asian restaurant. The drinks were good and really all food and beverage was quite good. Really, everything was great the only complaint I would have is that I felt that we heard a lot of "no's" from the staff. We were recently at Grand Velas in Riviera Maya and were blown away by the service there and how welcoming the staff was. At Excellence, we felt that the staff wasn't as accomidating and even rude at times. It was hard to get a server at the pool and everything seemed to be a struggle to get service. Again, really it was a great trip- but I would just say that I've had much better service at other all-inclusives in this same area. The hotel is beautiful, good food, and all around- a great place to go with a group.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Angela S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,144)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Skokie, Illinois
Reviewed 9 March 2014

5 stars just aren't enough! Our stay at the Excellence resorts cannot compare to any vacation that my husband and I have taken so far. Upon arrival we were greeted with a glass of champagne and a cool cloth. Checking in was so easy. The room was super clean and nice adorned with the most beautiful red roses. We were celebrating a birthday/anniversary and they decorated the room with balloons and yes more red roses. Everyday was perfect weather during the last week of February 81-85. We went to the beach everyday...which was a short walk from our room. The beach has perfectly white sand, the water was so warm and clear, lunch is served everyday at the beach and it was delicious...the drinks were being poured by 10 am, what a way to start the day! There is beach volleyball available along with kayaking. The beach goes on forever so we took beautiful walks every morning. The service goes beyond anything we've experienced...the breakfast buffet is how we started everyday with Carlos (a wonderful man!) at our service...fresh coffee and freshly squeezed OJ and the newspaper....Arturo was getting us drinks all day...as far as the restaurants go you just can't get bored! So many choices suited for the pickiest of palates...we ate under the stars at Agave (Mexican) tres leches cake to die for...get two...French, Tapas, Mediterranean, and our top choice was Basmati (Indian). We were treated like royalty and ate like royalty! The pool also beautiful with its lazy river. We are back and very well rested, we will visit again soon as we have decided this is now our favorite. If you care to be generous..the staff works so hard for you that it definitely warrants a tip so don't forget to bring a few singles. So the bottom line people is if you want the best visit the Excellence resorts in Playa de Mujeres and you will not be disappointed!!!!!

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms next to the construction site where Secrets is building
4 Thank Vicki K
Scarsdale, New York
Reviewed 9 March 2014

The hotel facilities were beautiful. Our room was very large and comfortable. There were many pools where you were able to sit quietly. If you wanted the beach, we found it was easiest to find seating a little later in the day. There were many restaurants and the food was good. I have celiac disease and they were extremely accommodating to my dietary needs. I. Addition, soy milk was readily available which was also a big plus for me. I was with another couple and the one thing we all were slightly disappointed in was the food. It was ok, but not outstanding as many people had said. Personally, the most disappointing part for me was the fruit. I don't know whether it was a bad year for fruits, which is always possible, but the only fruit that was almost always good was the watermelon. The cantelope and honeydew were good some days and not so good on other days. That was our only disappointment. There were plenty of chairs near the pools and plenty of shade to be had or sun if you wanted it. We would definitely return to this resort for another vacation.

Room Tip: If you want to be away from the noise you need to be in buildings 5 or 6. We did not find the walk...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank happytraveler520
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 7 March 2014

My husband and I started vacationing in Mexico at this resort in 2011 and we came back every February for the next 2 years as well. This is an amazing resort to attend, the food and drinks are great, but it is not a party resort at all. The night time entertainment is a little limited with some pretty dull singing (sorry, I call it somewhat geriatric). However, after our meals, we typically went back to our rooms, which are magnificent, or to the martini bar, so the entertainment meant less to us. The only potential drawback is that the resort is north of cancun, so going out on excursions will take a little more travel time. In 2014, we attended a different resort as we were travelling with a friend with children, but we are looking forward to coming back next year.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank MobileNiki
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada

Travelled: Feb 24 – Mar 6/14

We were skeptical of the rave reviews and consistently high ratings for EPM, but not anymore – this resort really is Excellente.

We were fans of the Royal Suites Turquesa in Punta Cana, but EPM has RST beat in terms of food, entertainment, and quality of service. EPM also has a more intimate feel and is less sprawling than RST.

Thanks to other Reviewers, we picked up a lot of tips, and while most of our review has already been covered by others, it deserves repeating.

ROOMS: The rooms are nice and building 7B was a great choice for us – the pool area is more private and it is quieter while still being close to everything. We like a swim-up suite and 7B delivered, although we liked the swim-ups at RST more because you step right off your patio into the pool – at EPM there is a strip of lawn before you reach the pool. There is a trade-off to being on the ground floor in this building, and that is that it is a major service corridor so you get a fair bit of noise from the carts clacking along the tiles, but they generally stop between 11 pm and 7 am, so it wasn’t a big deal for us. SUGGESTION FOR MANAGEMENT: invest in soft rubber tires for your service carts – your guests will thank you. Keep the patio door closed on the ground floor to keep out the local fauna (iguana and other reptiles and we even saw a fox and her kit). The lack of privacy in the bathroom/shower wasn’t a big deal for us, but a full door on the toilet would be nice – it really is an echo chamber when doing your business. My wife found the room lighting a little dim for applying makeup and the bathroom mirrors are set back and a little high for those of short stature. The mattresses are very firm, but we like them that way, and toppers are available for those wanting something softer. We experienced none of the problems reported by others with room service, room cleaning or minibar stocking. Tipping and being pleasant with staff go a long way. While the minibar guy explained that he couldn’t swap out a standard bottle of liquor, he brought me a bottle of what I wanted – not sure of the logic there but he satisfied my request. The fridge wasn’t very cold but was kept stocked with our favorites, including a special request for tonic, and there’s always a bar within short walking distance. WiFi connection was decent, and much better than we’ve had elsewhere. I don’t think the Excellence Club is worth the extra – we had everything we wanted, and the folks from the EC tended to gravitate over to our pool. I would advise EC guests to avoid buildings 9 and 9A for awhile - major construction is underway on the adjoining property. I would not have enjoyed being near the main pool either as steady heavy bass music is not my thing.

FOOD: No reservations are required and we never had to wait to be seated at any of the restaurants. There is a dress code, but it is not strictly enforced. The food was much better than we expected, and with 9 restaurants there is something to satisfy everyone. Presentation is nice, but portions are small. Big eaters should not be shy about ordering two entrees (I learned this quickly). Our favorites for dinner were Agave (try the stuffed chili and the flaming Mayan coffee for dessert), Flavor Market (loved the tapas), Spice, and Barcelona (try the paella). We were a little disappointed in the Lobster House (half a very small lobster tail serving), but this was before I learned to order two entrees – the food was tasty just not enough. Better wines are available for wine snobs for an extra cost but we found house wines that were acceptable. The outdoor ice cream machine is popular, as are the pizza oven and beach BBQ for quick lunches. My wife was fighting Montezuma for a couple days (she may have picked up something offsite), and the folks at Spice were quite accommodating in preparing a plain rice and chicken breast dinner for her. Water and ice are treated and should be safe. We grew cautious about eating the lettuce but we don’t know what the culprit was for sure.

SERVICE: Staff at EPM are exceptional. They all seem genuinely interested in doing anything they can to ensure that you enjoy your stay. My wife asked a maintenance man busy at his task for directions to the ice machine, and he stopped what he was doing to go and get it for her. These are hard-working people, so recognize their efforts by tipping – we generally tipped 20 pesos for drinks at the bars and for minibar restocking and turn-down service and also for breakfast and lunch, 50 pesos for maid service and for room service, and 100-150 pesos for dinner. I have to give a shout-out to some of the folks that really went above and beyond: Claudio at Agave (loved the show with the Mayan coffee and the farewell dessert), Fancesco at Flavor Market (enjoyed your selections for us and the farewell dessert), Lorena at Spice (thanks for accommodating our needs), Oscar at Basmati (enjoyed your selections for us), and Arturo for his efforts to catch us needing a drink at the 7B pool. I missed your name, pizza oven guy, but enjoyed your happy demeanor while you worked hard to serve that endless line. We received special farewell desserts on our last two nights and another with champagne on the patio on our last afternoon – nice touches.

POOLS/BEACH: Maybe it was the right time of year, but we didn’t encounter a significant seaweed problem on the beach, and contrary to some other reports we thought the beach was excellent. We didn’t find the pools cold but that might also be because we chose the right time of year, or maybe because we’re from Northern Canada. Pool float sniping is rampant and we had to conduct regular raids to repatriate the ones from our pool. The towel game was not a problem as we chose to believe that folks just left them behind, which did seem to be the case most of the time. Take advantage of the free watersports – kayaking, paddle boards, sailboats. We enjoyed the WaveRunners as well for an extra fee. If you booked a vacation package, check with your representative located by the martini bar – we received a significant discount. Loungers were a little scarce around our pool at times, mainly because people from other buildings were attracted to our location. It was nice to have our own dedicated loungers with the swim-up suite.

CURRENCY: While we followed the recommendation to bring Pesos, I will probably also bring some US next time for shopping. Contrary to other reports, the ATM at the hotel does NOT accept Canadian debit cards with chip technology (at least not CIBC cards). Staff at the desk said this was a frequent problem for Canadian and UK travellers. Thankfully, they were able to provide credit card cash advances (pesos only) as we also followed the advice not to travel with large sums of money.

TULUM: We booked the Tulum “Express” tour through our onsite travel representative. This tour is shorter than others, and still gives you a couple of hours with a guide onsite, which is plenty. It is a couple of hours ride from the hotel. Since the EPM is located away from the main hotel district, they ran a shuttle from EPM to a central pickup/drop-off point and we didn’t have to stop at all the hotels like others (added an hour according to some disgruntled folks).

ISLA MUJERES: We spent the better part of a day touring the Isla. Avoid the car ferry located adjacent to the hotel as the ride is about 45 minutes each way. Take a taxi to the Ultamar ferry at Gran Puerto – the ferry ride is about 15 minutes and runs every 30 minutes (170 pesos round trip). The taxi ride is about 15 minutes and costs 130 pesos (fixed rate from hotel). Negotiate the return fare before departing as it is not a fixed rate back to the hotel (we paid 200 pesos). Rent a golf cart and tour the island (500 pesos for the day – bring your drivers license). It is lovely and there are lots of shops.

ENTERTAINMENT: There is nightly entertainment at CafeKafe and the Theatre located adjacent to each other. With only a couple of exceptions, the performances were quite good. The Michael Jackson tribute act was particularly good and Casino night (play money) is a lot of fun. There is a newsletter outlining activities for the next day delivered to your room with the turn-down service. Watch for Spa specials as their regular prices are a little steep.

SHUTTLE: I have to give a shout-out to AirCanada Vacations for taking good care of us. While others recommend the limo or a cab for transportation between the hotel and airport, it would have been a waste of money for us. The ACV shuttle went directly to EPM and we shared the ride with only one other couple on the way in and it was just us on the way out.

WE WILL BE BACK.

Room Tip: Building 7B is the perfect location. The pool area is more private and it is quieter while still be...
9 Thank GrumpieGrampy
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
It is our pleasure to know that Excellence Playa Mujeres exceeded your expectations, making you feel relaxed and pampered all the time. Our commitment is to make of every guest experience, as exceptional and unique as it can be.

Thank you for letting us know how memorable and special was your stay, due to our resort facilities and atmosphere, the food & drinks quality encountered, evening entertainment, and the outstanding service provided by our staff members, who always attended to your needs. We also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

We are looking forward to welcome you back and have another opportunity to pamper you with our service creating another experience to remember.
Hampshire
Reviewed 7 March 2014

This is our hugely overdue review of Wonderful Excellence EPM... We actually returned from our amazing 2 week stay back in December and I drafted a review then, but Christmas got in the way and I failed to post it! So anyway, a belated cut and paste later... and here is our review....
The resort really does live up to all the glowing reports on Trip Advisor. The grounds are beautiful and kept in an immaculate condition which makes sense when you see the number of groundsmen that look after the place everyday. The pools were wonderful (quite chilly when you first get in, but to be expected in November), we tended to stay mainly by the lazy river because we like peace and quiet and though the main pool is heated, we didn't find the the lazy river was  much cooler. Our room had everything we wanted and was tastefully decorated and a lovely place to return to and relax after a hard day at the pool!! We didn't go Excellence Club and although I'm sure the benefits are worth it for some, we were completely happy with the room and service we received being non EC. The food was very good in general, and the breakfast and lunch buffets were very good indeed (I'm very sceptical when buffets are mentioned as I'm quite fussy about food quality, but these really were excellent) with a huge array of fresh fruit, salad, breads etc and also plenty of stations where you could have fish/meat/omelettes etc prepared in front of you. Now onto the part of the holiday which really stood out for us, the staff. Right from the moment we arrived (and in fact beforehand as I had emailed Vilma and Jesse, 2 of the concierges) all the staff were amazing - always a smile on their faces and they really couldn't do enough to help. Particular thanks to the staff at the Toscana buffet, Lorenzo, Ernesto, Gloria and Alondra - they really did make our breakfasts and lunches an absolute pleasure everyday - and also to Virginia, the General Manager, who so obviously has a happy and dedicated team working for her.
So to round up, in my opinion this resort most certainly lived up to TA recommendations, we would definitely and most likely will return to EPM - the sooner the better!! A wonderful experience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Fertimo
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 7 March 2014

My husband and I spent the week of 2/24/14 at the Excellence and we could not have been happier. The food was amazing (staff is very knowledgebly about gluten free and there are always options…including the best wedding cake I’ve ever had!, drinks were all great, service top notch – we did find the beds a bit on the hard side but I’d read that review before so we mentioned it to the conceirege and they did something and it was much better. Entertainment was great (other than the Magician/comedian…that was painful).

We would definitely go back.

One tip – if you happen to be going there to get married get a copy of the documents with all the plans listed on them. We did have a blip in that neither the wedding nor the reception were in the location that we had reserved…at the end of the day, it’s paradise so it was beautiful but we had a guest that needed assistance in walking and both location changes put her on the beach. Gloria saved the day and had the reception moved at the last minute to something that worked out better for everyone so no harm done. So, lesson learned, if you have a special occsaion planned send out a friend to reconoiter an hour or so before the event to prevent miscommunication.

Room Tip: If you are going in the hotter months a swim-up room with a shady lounge area would be ideal...shadd...
4 Thank TeresaTX
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#6 of 175 in Cancun
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!