“Amazing honeymoon”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Buffalo, New York
“Amazing honeymoon”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

This resort was amazing!! the staff was unbelievable, the grounds were beautiful and there was a great beach!!!!! We enjoyed every second here and cannot wait to go back!!! Upgraded to the Excellence Club, it was 100% worth it. I cannot say enough good things about this place. The room was gorgeous, and we are hotel snobs!! The food was decent, but I have a sensitive stomach.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jena H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,144)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We had the most incredible 5 day stay here in October of 2013. We stayed opted for the "excellence club" and it was worth every penny. The poolside and ocean side service was superb! Danella (I think that was her name, she was the server at the excellence club beach area), Gustavo (Sol bar), Alan (excellence bar), and many others were incredible both with their service and attention to detail. I've never been more relaxed in my whole life. We spent most of our five days on a beach bed, even when it got stormy. We plan to make it a yearly trip.

I love good food, and was pleasantly surprised by the food options. We tried a little room service, but didn't really enjoy it. Highly recommend the Indian restaurant. Once we discovered it we pretty much ate there exclusively.

After the 2nd evening of turning down the sweet treats that were delivered each evening, the staff members started bringing us a cheese plate instead! Details like that really touched us.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sunworship416
Hamilton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Prior to our general review we have to say a huge thank you to some very special people. Firstly Fidel who looked after us every day by the pool, ensuring we had not only some of the most amazing cocktails (try a Miami Vice!x) however also plenty of water to ensure we were always at out best especially on the extremly hot days.

Then we have Hugo & Ceaser from the Martini bar - a great double act and very attentitive. So many different options to try and once they understand your likes shall suggest choices for you. Brilliant service and delicous cocktails!x

We also require to mention Oscar at Basmati, Alexander and Eduardo at breakfast in Toscana, and Freddy at The Lobster House - however every single member of the Excellence team emphasised the meaning of Excellence.

Every element of our holiday was fantastic, our check in with a welcoming glass of champagne, the towel display's from the turn down service, fantastic experience at the spa, decorated room and champagne for Birthday celebration, fully branded alcohol at all bar's plus in our room, various options of pool's, thoughtful check up's from the concierge, cleanliness of the resort as a whole and such a variety of choice for dinner options. (Our favourite being Basmati then Spice!x)

This was our first trip to Mexico and an Excellence resort - all we can say is we are home 24 hours and looking at booking again for next year.

Neil & Carole Anne

Room Tip: We were in room 8306 which caught the sun for the last few hours of the day. This looked onto one o...
6 Thank cawilson29
New Jersey
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We have just come back from a 3 night mini getaway to Excellence Playa Mujeres (EPM). The resort is rather pricey, but I think is well worth it.
On Monday early afternoon it took us about 45 minutes to get to EPM from Cancun International Airport. The roads are paved all the way, so the drive was rather smooth. The check-in was very quick, but the room was not ready until 2:45 pm (official check-in time is 3:00 pm). The lobby is very impressive and spotless clean. The check-in staff was friendly and efficient. We were impressed that most staff members spoke English and communication was never a problem. We were escorted to our room by one of the Bell boys, who on the way to the room showed us around. The grounds were very well manicured and were spotless. The layout of the resort is somewhat compact comparing to some of the other all-inclusive resorts. Everything was just a quick walk away. Unfortunately the flip side of the compactness is that the resort seems a little more commercialized than intimate.
The room was great! We decided to go for a rooftop terrace room and did not regret the decision. The rooftop terrace offered a good level of privacy and a very tranquil relaxing space. The room itself had a modern feel to it and also had a nice size balcony with a freeform bed where we could relax in the shade. The bathroom was big and modern as well, however I found that the bathroom layout was not very well thought through. It offers almost no privacy when using the toilet. Between poor ventilation and almost no sound insulation, the bathroom was one of the least romantic parts of the room. I found the mattress on the bed to be firm, but comfortable. The climate control was a pleasant surprise; unlike a number of other resorts we stayed in over the years, the AC system at EPM was very well designed, so that it was quiet and had a very good air distribution throughout the room. The TV programming had at least 60% of channels in Spanish, but we did not want to waste our time watching TV, so it was fine.
We had a chance to visit 4 restaurants while we were there and found French to be the best choice. The service at all restaurants was good, but at busy times was a little slow. The food was well prepared and tastefully presented. The restaurants do not take reservations, so if you do not want to walk around with a pager for an hour waiting for a table, you need to be at a restaurant before 6:30 pm.
The beach at EPM was very good, however it is probably the area that needs the most improvement. You will not be able to get a palapa on the beach if you get to the beach after 7:30 am. The number of palapas at EPM is really inadequate for the resort of that size. That said, the beach was very clean and the water was calm with only limited amount of seaweed on the bottom. The beach was one of the best ones we have been to in all-inclusive resorts in Mexico.
EPM offers free Wi-Fi throughout most of the resort, however Wi-Fi was in my opinion 3rd and last area for improvement. The Wi-Fi service was slow for the most part and very inconsistent. I needed to stay in touch with work and wasted too much time trying to have a consistent connection. Upon my conversation with EPM IT support, they did admit they were having problems for at least 2 of 3 days we were there.
Overall we really enjoyed our short getaway and would go back in a heartbeat. Overall everything was great, but to my liking, the beach should have a LOT more palapas, bathrooms in the rooms should have a little more privacy and Wi-Fi service should be more reliable for those who need to stay in touch with the world outside of the ERP fairy tale.

8 Thank alexaks
maryland
Reviewed 17 March 2014

My husband and I just returned from this resort on March 16th, 2014. This was our 2nd time at EPM. The rooms are awesome, the food is excellent and the bars for those who enjoy drinking are awesome! The grounds are kept clean. The pools are clean as well. We spent most of our time at the Blue which is the swim up bar and that place really draw a crowd of fun. Some of the shows were pretty good. The Alegria club -disco is nice inside however it could be a little more upbeat especially when the resort is secluded and most people like to stay on the resort.
Did not have any bad dinning experiences. Food was good. Last but not least we would like to give big shout outs to Filipe and Barbara at the lobby bar ( you both were excellence!) love from Mikey and Kristal from D.C. Also to Alex you are the best you took care of our mini bar in the room! Thank you Marko at the Lobster House! Mucho love from D.C.
We love EPM see you in October!

Room Tip: Ocean view awesome
4 Thank krisjaymik
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 17 March 2014

The Good:
Beautiful resort, friendly staff, nice beach for Mexico, nice rooms with great balcony, great location and layout of the resort (30 min drive from Cancun Airport), beautiful restaurants with excellent service.. Favorite restaurants: The French Restaurant and Spice (Show Table and the restaurant). The buffet restaurant was very good too. Excellent entertainment every day at this resort (at the beach, at the pool, at Cafe Kafe and int the theater).
The Bad:
Room Service was slow. Often couldn't even get an answer on the phone in the mornings for room service. I gave up a couple of days. The food in the restaurants was ok. I had fish a couple of times at different restaurants and it was too hard to eat (over done). The steak was tough at another restaurant. The desserts were a disappointment in comparison to other resorts we have stayed at in Mexico. If you order Key Lime Pie, you expect a piece of pie not a tiny tart.
The Ugly: LADIES BEWARE!!!
On the third night of our 7 day stay I had an incident in the washroom by the Theater. This is a large washroom with many stalls. To my knowledge the washroom was empty except for me.As I was using the washroom in this totally enclosed stall (except for the upper part of the side walls) I heard a rustling noise I looked up and there was a worker staring over the stall down at me. I'm not sure how long he was there for but it completely startled me and put me in panic mode as I felt trapped in the stall and didn't know what to do. I began screaming for help as loud as I could... no one came. Finally I decided I had to take a run for it (I didn't know what to expect when I opened the washroom stall door) and ran out of the washroom as fast as I could. I was visibly upset by the incident and my husband reported it to the staff at the bar right next to the washroom. They brushed him off as if to protect their own and said it was just a cleaner working in there.. At that point we realized it was not worth pursuing any further attention as we felt we were not going to be taken serious and they were going to protect their own. Since we have heard many negative stories and incidents in Mexico we decided since I was not physically harmed we should play the incident down and carry on as if nothing happened. I cannot tell you how powerless we felt over this.We slept with one eye open that night as we felt like we might have created a disturbance. It played on my every move for the remainder of the vacation. I did not feel safe on my own using the washroom or to walk the beach or to even walk about the resort alone. If we reported it further it appeared that we might be singled out and then it could become worse for us.
Just keep this tip in mind if you visit this resort or any other (Ladies,do not travel alone especially in washrooms). Don't allow yourself to become a victim.

Room Tip: Building 8 was a great location
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
33 Thank HfxCityGirl
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at Excellence Playa Mujeres with all Trip Advisor Readers.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable.

On the other hand, we are baffled by your review as we can find no record of any of the incidents described during your stay. Our corporate customer service department remains at your disposal at customerservice@excellence-resorts.com in order to further discuss the matter or in case you require any future assistance.
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Just came back from our sixth annual visit between March 8th to the 15th and we were more blown away then ever. The excellent service began with Dalel the Excellence Club manager who went out of her way to ensure that all of our needs were met. We also enjoyed Mexican wine tasting with Martin the sommelier, and awesome Indian food prepared with care and excellent service from Oscar at the Basmatti restaurant. Our breakfasts were always looked forward to with Josué taking care of us and with Nancy preparing our morning omelette!!

Not that we want to share the resort, but it really is fantastic and all of the staff are superb and the service exceptional.

They are to be commended on providing a luxurious, restful vacation....
This is not a party palace. If you want to drink and be loud, stay in Cancun!!!

If we had one request it would be that they provide more covered beds in the Excellence Club beach area as these get taken very early in the morning and leave little access for others.

We are definitely looking forward to returning next year.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#6 of 175 in Cancun
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!