“Amazing Couples Resort”

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

What a treasure. We stayed in the rooms with the pool on top. This was our second visit, and this time we brought friends. Concierge service, snacks, drinks, pool were out of this world. All the restaurants had plenty if seating and had good food. The pools and beaches were spectacular. The amenities appear new and very well maintained. Also, only 20 min from airport.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ana T

Reviewed 25 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at the E.P.M. for 10 days during early April. Our reason for visiting the resort was the wedding of one of my wife's relatives.
First impressions whilst driving along the impressive driveway was tidy, safe (three security checks) and so close to the sandy beaches. When we arrived we were certainly not disappointed with white flannels to cool us and champagne to arouse us.
We were politely shown to our room overlooking the "lazy river" and were very impressed with the facilities. The eight restaurants were able to excite our taste buds and the staff were very attentive. Special mention to Alfredo and Freddie who greeated us personally and always with a smile. We had one little incident with the jaccuzzi bath but our maid Mario Moo was there in a flash and sorted the problem with a smile!!
The daily activities were excellent - loved the cycle rides, archery, volley ball, rifle shooting, "taster" activities including massage, scuba diving - which lead to a proper trainig session and diving 30 feet to the underwater museum. A first for me (a pensioner). Veronica was a brilliant activity organiser and gave very interesting info during the bike rides.
The wedding was very professionally organised and I'm sure the 60 guests would confirm that.
Certainly would recommend to folk who are happy to be entertained or just want to relax. Did hire a private car with driver to visit Chichen Itza so we arrived before the 30 coaches!! A great day out especially as we missed the only rain (deluge) in Cancun.
Finally the only moan, which we did mention to staff whilst there, was that some of the areas by the swimming pools were very slippery when wet - we saw at least three people fall over - one looked serious!! But the only negative. The 9 and a half flight from London Gatwick was worth it though next time a stop-over in N.Y. would be easier.

Room Tip: Rooms by the Lazy River are probably quieter. Rooms with 6000 code
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank tarka74
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My girlfriend and I went for 5 nights , just for a break from our busy life. (March 2014)
We left our husbands home and all we wanted to do was lay by the pool and someone brings us drinks and food, instead of the other way around. We did just that. We were treated like Queens. The shows were great, the food was great and we had a great bartender Angel Omar. He was so nice and they all were. We are coimg back in Oct, 2014, with our husbands. Cant wait.

Room Tip: Ask to stay by the main service desk, on the first floor , due you get on the other side of the hote...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank harleygirl260
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Stayed here with my wife and another couple in November 2013. This is an absolutely fantastic place and we couldnt' recommend it more.

For our honeymoon we stayed at Sandals Montego Bay - got a lucky upgrade to the presidential suite with a Butler. The other couple we stayed with also purchased butler level accomodations at a Sandals in Bahamas. We all agree those were excellent trips, BUT we each felt that this resort was actually better than either of those two.

Big reasons why we loved the trip and why we felt that way:

*No reservations at restaurants is much more vacation friendly as you don't have to plan out your trip on day when with regards to when and where to eat.

*No butler reserved spots on the beach. While we were on the favorable side on this at Sandals - it doesn't feel right that you can't get the primo spots on the beach without a butler. At Excellence you absolutely can and do..and without the added cost.

*Food was excellent - easily 4 of 5 stars in quality and diversity of offerings. On par with the best restaurant you actaully go to. (Will fall short of that one you save for the 50th wedding anniversary, making partner celebration, etc).

*Room service was absolutely top notch, best we have ever received in terms of quantity and equally as good in terms of quality and friendliness.

*Modern and up to date. Ammentities and styles that we are accustomed to including wifi for checking in at home.

*Excellent job of making it a resort worth exploring. It's design resists the urge to have "my area" and "your area" that can be prevelant at other locations.

*Extremely good value as well.

You absolutely will enjoy this location, we recommend to everyone we see.

Room Tip: Wouldn't buy the upgrade. You get two little pools, a fresh fruit tray and the best views from...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FreedomFan147
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at Excellence for 4 nights earlier this month and had a wonderful time. The rooms and staff were great and the property was beautiful. I would highly recommend Excellence to any couple looking to get away and relax. The only reason this was not 5 stars was due to some construction going on next door. While this did not directly affect our room situation, we had several friends inconvenienced by piledrivers and jackhammers during early morning hours. If you reserve anytime in 2014....make sure you don't stay in building 9 and you'll be good. - One more tip *The Spanish Tapas Restaurant is the best on the property

Room Tip: Do not stay in Building 9 - Construction next door!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank MESHELBY
Reviewed 23 April 2014

First, I have to point out how disappointment I am in Excellence. Our stay there was good but I really have to question whether we got good value for the money. This was our honeymoon and Excellence has a great Honeymoon Package that was suppose to be included with our stay. Keep in mind that when we got married in September our schedules would only allow us to take a full week off in February. Excellence has a policy that the package is only available if you travel within 3 months of your wedding day. Knowing this both my travel agent and myself requested that we would use the resort if they would extend the package to us. After all, this was our Honeymoon and we were going full out with the best suite and VIP package. After a few emails back and forth the resort agreed, in writing to both me and my travel agent, to give us the Honeymoon package. It all started with dinner on the Beach which was NOT what it was cracked up to be and was charged $175US which was suppose to be included int the Honeymoon package I mentioned earlier. I will give the hotel this, when the head concierge realized that our Beach dinner did not go well, he did his best to make up for it. Now, here is the issue I have, I did not want to make an issue over the $175 but wanted to have a word with the Resort Management and/or customer service when I got home to find out why I was charged and perhaps discuss it. To this day, after countless emails back and forth and trying to get someone on the phone to explain why I was charged something that the resort promised me in writing, NO ONE has ever called me back. I did get some emails PR emails stating "We did our best" but not once did the company even bother to address my concerns. To put things in perspective, my wife and I were thinking to make Excellence our Destination for our annual winter vacation where we would did not mind spending extra money to stay in the VIP section of the Hotel in one of their top suites. But now, since no one could even be bothered to get back to us or even attempt to reconcile this tiny issue, the thousands we would have spent on the resort will be going to some other high end resort. As someone who runs their own business, losing thousands in order to keep your hundreds does not make sense. It is really too bad, since the food and service was good but because of this one little thing Excellence went from a 5 star rating to a 2 all because the company could not be bothered to make one phone call. Excellence, I hope it was worth it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main area if you want peace and quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
17  Thank LeeAssistant
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

First of all, allow us to thank you for taking your valued time to share with us your comments about your stay at Excellence Playa Mujeres.

We are disappointed to hear that your experience with us did not live up to your expectations and we would like to extend our sincerest apologies.

At Excellence Resorts we have 2 different Honeymoon packages. Please note that the Beach Dinner and Spa services are part of the: Excellence Honeymoon Package.
When a guest does not have included those amenities in their romantic package, the guest will be informed and an additional cost will apply.

Our corporate customer service department remains at your disposal at customerservice@excellence-resorts.com in order to further discuss the matter or in case you require any future assistance.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed at Playa Mujeres for 9 nights over the Easter break. The hotel was excellent in many aspects including service, food and drink quality. The staff were extremely pleasant and made our stay more special. The rooms were clean, comfortable and well serviced. The restaurants were varied and food quality was really good. We particularly enjoyed the French, Thai and Indian restaurants.
The lobster house was disappointing at dinner ( our first night) and at lunch one day. This was as a result of the mediocre service and 'appetiser sized' portion of lobster. I would recommend the extensive buffet lunch in the main restaurant.
We booked our 2 rooms through travel republic and were able to pay a supplement for an additional guest in the 2 nd room - very expensive option as we paid a single room occupancy which was only £400 cheaper than a room for 2 persons. We then had to pay the hotel a supplement of $220 per night. This meant we paid almost £1000 more for our second room. There was no room for negotiation on this or consideration for our situation.
The setting of the hotel is lovely, on a sandy beach with turquoise seas. It is however isolated which is different to visiting the hotel zone. Building work next door caused some noise disruption although not obtrusive for us. Some rooms overlooked the building works.
All in all a relaxing, lovely holiday. We hope to return in the future.

Room Tip: Block 8 is central and has pool or sea views
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
#1 of 177 in Cancun
Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!