“Amazing Resort”

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Reviewed 2 May 2014

This was one of the best vacations I have ever had. Every employee seemed to go out of their way to make your vacation as relaxing as possible. Vilma in concierge helped me set up my room with wine and flowers while I was still in Hawaii. All of the restaurants we ate had have great food. I went for my best friend's wedding and cannot wait to go back many more times in the future! Thank you Excellence for a wonderful vacation!

3  Thank Ashley S
There are newer reviews for Excellence Playa Mujeres

Reviewed 1 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at Excellence Playa Mujeres from April 15 - April 22. I made sure to read a lot of reviews and really do my research before we booked our honeymoon. But I am soooooo glad we did. Everything was amazing. When we first arrived we were greeted with a cool towel and champaign. We were quickly checked in and a bell boy took our bags up to our room. We were in building 7 room 7158. The room was very clean and very modern. We had a pool view and it was perfect and quiet all the time. We loved to hang out in our balcony at night after attending the nightly shows. But the service was truly excellent. Everywhere you sat, within 5 min someone was asking you if you needed something to drink. The resort has 9 restaurants and my husband ate at all 9. The food was very good. Our least favorite restaurants were the Flavor Market and Spice. Everything else was delicious. I read reviews about the beds being hard but I thought they were pretty comfortable. Our room got cleaned 2x daily and they would even organize our shoes and clothes. The grounds were beautiful and entertainment was great. The beach was pretty awesome. The first few days we were there the beach was pretty clean, and then it rained and the next few days there was a lot of seaweed but they really do their best to clean it as often as possible. For dinner a lot of restaurants have a dress code for dinner so make sure to bring dressy clothes (collared shirts for men and jeans is fine) and females semi casual is fine. They wont let you in otherwise. Bring your own sunblock because it costs an arm and a leg at the resort and you dont have to exchange american dollars to pesos. Everywhere you go they accept American money. Just make sure to bring a lot of singles for tips, tips are not neccessary but they truly do work hard and deserve it. Overall we had a great experience and we cannot wait to go back!!!!

Room Tip: Bring your own sunscreen, it is very expensive at the resort. Bring cooling gel just in case you ge...
5  Thank Lovepink12
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We absolutely loved our stay here. Our room was part of the Excellence Club which made you feel extremely special. The staff there seem like they can't do enough for you especially the staff on the beach. Fidel never let us go thirsty and the others took care of every other need. We highly recommend the place, they know how to do it right. They could teach Sandals a thing or two.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, choose a room that is associated with the Excellence Club
2  Thank mrsric
Reviewed 30 April 2014

My hubby and i vacationed at EPM 2 yrs ago we just planed our next trip there for June 2014 and cant wait. this place is just amazing from the moment you arrive to the moment you leave you are pampered. Food is wonderful chk in is fast and easy Staff is just the best. Please if you cant plan your trip you will be amazed!!!! SEE YOU ALL IN JUNE!!!!!

Room Tip: BOOK Excellence club way worth it!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SOPJP
Reviewed 30 April 2014

You just can't believe the service of all the people that work at EPM
Everyone works so hard to please everyone,and goes beyond what was expected
The resort is beautiful and manicured.We were up at 6:00 a everyday and the staff was already busy setting up the resort wiping down tables, chairs from the morning dew and putting nice big towels on every lounge chair.
The food was much better than expected for a all inclusive and excellent drinks.We got to try many drinks we never have had because we could, no problem
Dinner on the beach was a once in a lifetime dream,a dream no more. Sooo! Romantic
Thanks to all Staff , over the top service
Nike would find us no matter where we at and see what she could do for us. There was nothing left, it was perfect
We will be back for sure.Its hard to explain how nice , You'll just have to go for yourself

2  Thank showboat3155
Reviewed 30 April 2014

My wife and I just got back from celebrating our anniversary and celebrating our first pregnancy. Unfortunately there was construction going on right next door to our tower/room but once we made contact with the concierge - the staff went above and beyond to make sure we were taken care of - upgrade of room plus was included. Besides this small issue which was resolved - this place was worth the money, resort grounds are pristine, 7 different pools to choose from, beach area, staff everywhere to make sure you are being taken care off - variety of dinning options, specially at night with the different restaurants. The tapas/spanish restaurant was fantastic - Lobster House/Grill had great lunch menu and breakfast was also very good. Plenty of bar options through out the day - plus the beach/pool bar has individual pizzas 11-4. Nightly entertainment was enjoyable specially the variations of live music. We cant wait to go back - recommend the resort for honeymoon, anniversary, babymoon or group of couples friends wanting to have a great time, relaxing, and enjoying great food and beverages.

4  Thank GPcali
Reviewed 30 April 2014

My new wife and I stayed at Excellence Playa Mujeres from April 13th through April 20th for our honeymoon. Overall, I would have to say that the resort is very beautiful and well maintained. The layout is such that it is a very short walk to anywhere to anywhere in the resort, while at the same time even if you are there during almost maximum occupancy you never feel crowded and there is always somewhere to sit outside, no matter what time of day you go out. Now the shaded palapas’ do go early but that is why they make sunscreen...The pools are beautiful as well as the beach and the artistic touches around the resort make it fun to just walk around and enjoy the ambiance...

A lot people rave about the staff but I have to say I found the service uneven. The staff is always courteous and while some are hard working and efficient, some are just hard working. For every waiter who came by every 20 minutes to offer drink service, we also had one who came only once an hour.

And I found the concierge staff uneven as well. For example, one day we mentioned to the Excellence Club Beach concierge that we need to book our dinner on the beach at some point that day and he immediately began booking it for us, even to the point of coming three times to our seats to make sure he had it right for us. But the very next day at 8 am when we asked the concierge inside the Excellence Club what time the spa opened so we could book a massage. He said not til 9 but don’t worry about it, we should go down to the beach and he would make the appointment for us and would telephone the beach concierge to give us the details. Well come 11 o’clock we hadn’t heard from him so I went to the concierge hut to ask about. That concierge merely dialed the spa and handed me the phone who told me they had no reservation for me, so I made it myself.

And it was the same way in restaurants, some waiters were friendly but most of them seemed bored or just too busy to try to give us anything beyond basic service. The food varied from good to below average. Most of the time it was good and even when it wasn’t, it was probably a good recipe but had been over/under cooked or had sat a while and was now cold. Now my wife has been to Cancun before and she said (and was later proven right, see below) that this is actually really good service for Mexico and she has had much worse.

And for some reason every night time hostess we encountered was clearly having a bad day or something, we really seemed to be imposing on them by asking to be seated. And they almost always wanted to seat us at the table the absolutely closest to the front door! Though in their defense they may have a policy of putting the good looking people near the front to attract other customers…

The number one issue for me before I went was the construction. Now in the end, it had almost no impact on my vacation. I heard pile driving a few times, once when getting a massage in the spa and it did not disturb that wonderful moment in the least. BUT…let me say that I requested and received building 8b, as far from it as possible. And when I made a point on Monday to walk over to the building 9 pool, the noise was quite loud, they were clearly working right by that pool that day and I had to raise my voice to talk to my wife. Though on the Saturday before we left we came by around 11 and there was not a peep from that direction…

My take away on the construction now that I am back is this: If you are reading this now, you will know to request to be away from the construction. It may seem like everybody reads this website but I bet most guests don’t. Therefore you are very likely to avoid buildings 9 and 9a and have no problem. Even if you do get one of those buildings, it seems that the construction is hit and miss and you are likely to luck up and have them working on the other side of the resort when you are there. And worst case, I know the resort will move you if you have the really bad luck of arriving the same day as every other Tripadvisor reader in the world.

ALL this being said, our experience at the end of our trip made me appreciate Excellence so, so much more. Our flight out was canceled at the last minute and the airline paid for us to stay at a hotel called Oasis. Please see my review of that place for more details but let me just say that if I am giving that place 1 star (because Tripadvisor makes me give at least that many) then Excellence deserves 8! All the complaints I have about Excellence service and food pale to nothing compared to Oasis. Smelly rooms, awful food, poor service, prison quality mattresses…and when I looked up what the Orbitz price for that night was it was $300! Compared to that place, Excellence was a steal!

Oh and one more thing. When I returned home I looked at my credit card online and they had charged me an additional $350 in addition to the $500 they gave me a receipt for. (tip: do NOT jump into the pool with a pager in your pocket. They charge $100 to replace it.) When I emailed the resort about it, they asked me to send them a copy of my credit card statement. Really? You don't have those records available? Well, I was not comfortable sending that information so I contacted my credit card company to dispute the charge and they will let me know what the charge was for eventually.

11  Thank Bigacito
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Thank you very much for taking your time and sharing your experience with us.
We deeply regret that we were not able to meet your expectations since one of our main objectives is the satisfaction of our guests with the quality on the food, service and facilities.

Your comments are very important to us because give us the opportunity to know better about the aspects we need to work on in order to give the best service, the kind of service our guests deserve. Please rest assured that all the info you have raised have been addressed and that appropriate corrective actions have been taken.

On the other hand, our corporate customer service department remains at your disposal at customerservice@excellence-resorts.com in case you require any assistance with your credit card statement.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Mujeres
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#7 of 176 in Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!