“Better the second time!!!”

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Just returned from our second stay at E.P.M.

For this stay we brought along our daughter and my Mom for eight days.

Second time using USA Transfers and we can't find a thing wrong with their service.

Got to the hotel and was greeted and taken to the Ex. Club lounge. As soon as I walked by the main lobby bar I saw Federico and said "buenos tardes!" and before I knew It he stopped stocking the bar and I had two coronas in my hands! Thanks F !

As we were checking in I was told the request I had made wasn't available. No problem, I understand that it is just a request and EPM does do a great job of trying to fill those requests, it just wasn't in the cards for us this time. (We asked for building 8)

I was apologized to and asked if it would be okay to upgrade both room to RTT (in building 7) and my answer was a YES! and a gracias! (Muchas gracias again EPM)

Had a nice excellence hat and two fabric book marks waiting for us in our room as a thank you for returning. How cool is that?!

Our RTT (roof top terrace) looked to the North across the property - over the lazy river, and the activities building. A very nice few of the beautiful grounds, the palm trees, and a good bit of the ocean.

After check in we headed over to the lobster shop for lunch. Ceviche, Cesar salad and chicken tacos for me. All were wonderful. Noe took care of us and had drink for all quickly. Salsa chips and guacamole were delicious.

The onion rings I ordered were a bit soft - meaning the batter wasn't crunchy as I'm used to, but nothing that took away from the meal. My wife ordered suckling pig tacos, Mom had cheviche as well along with a little bit off of everyone's plate. My daughter ordered shrimp cocktail and grilled chicken breast which had good flavor.

After lunch off to the EC beach where we saw Manuel/Martin who remembered us from last Fall. He got a big hug from my wife and myself! Manuel found us a perfect spot on the beach and everyone but Mom went straight for the water. The temp of the water is almost perfect in regards to the heat and bit of humidity at the beach.

After cooling off we laid down and kept remarking how it had only felt as we were there last week, and how much we forgot we enjoyed being here!! Kudos to everyone here on the staff.

Sea grass minimum, in front of EPM and come to think of it I didn't see the tractor work the beach all day.

Came back to Raquel at the EC beach who took care of us all day and is great!

Construction noise was off an on, but we heard very little from building 7. I enjoy the beach volleyball so I'm right at the construction sight (100 yards away) twice a day for a few hours. Never any loud pile driving all day, just sporadic.

Beach volleyball was great. Filippo handled the early games at times Addial was there running the show. Good competition and fun. Both gentlemen are fantastic, and I was glad to see Addial taking on some entertainment duties over at the Los Olas beach buffet.

The treat of the day (for me) was going to the beach lunch at Las Olas. Sub sandwich and sliced fruit was being served. I grabbed the cup full of fruit (and vegetables) that had a fantastic hot sauce on it. Never even thought of trying hot sauce on fruit and it was delicious. I believe the subs were BBQ pulled pork with condiments on the side to choose from. I had a bit of my wife's sub and it had good flavor.

At Los Olas Helping us with our beverages was Lizenth. What a totally wonderful young lady. She spent time with us as I have been trying to master short phrases in Spanish. Lizenth was helping all of us with our Spanish and we were trying to help her with English. By "trying to help" her I mean she speaks better English than some of my USA born and raised coworkers. As we were in our beach wear we didn't have any tip money on us, but we will go back tomorrow and make up for today to this wonderful young lady.

Over our stay we were very entertained by the fire show, and the Michael Jackson tribute show. Gustavo's performances of guitar playing and singing were good as well.

At the lobster shop we did end up ordering both the grilled and steamed lobster. All four of us found the steamed to be bland. Also - no lemon and butter served, so if that's the way you enjoy your lobster make sure and ask for those sides.

Very surprised with the good meal I had at Spice (Asian restaurant) as I'm not a big eater of Asian food.

I can tell you everything was so wonderful by day eight we were NOT ready to leave.

My wife and I felt that with our second trip there, we were able to know what to expect, and were more comfortable with our surroundings. We were delighted to see staff members that remembered us from out last visit, and made some new friends with some of the employees we got to know this visit.

We did have a small unfortunate accident while there that needed a trip to the Cancun emergency clinic.

My wife slipped on the edge of the RTT private pool edge and landed on her chin. (I attribute the crunch to 85% of the extra shots of rum in the pina coladas, 10% to the surface being wet and 5% not paying attention)

I took her to the onsite Doctor's office where Dr. David took a look and fixed her up. The cut under her chin was deep so he made arrangements for a taxi ride to the Cancun clinic. We were at the clinic just over an hour where my wife got three stitches and we were back on our way.

Nobody wants to use any type of medical help while on vacation, but this unfortunate accident showed me that there is a very good onsite medical staff at Excellence, and the downtown Cancun clinic did a good job as well.

I want to thank the staff at Excellence Playa Murjeres. They were all wonderful, friendly, helpful, entertaining, and personable.

A special thank you to the old friends we visited with, and the some of the new friends we made and look forward to when we go back this December - Manuel/Martin, Federico, Filippo, Addial, Veronica, Guillermo, Naikare, Vilma, Jesus, Dave, and if I wasn't so bad with names there are another 4-5 folks I should be thanking!

My wife and I have already booked our two week stay at the end of this December. Both our cell phones have our new count down to Excellence on them already. Only 229 days to go.

Thank you again Excellence Playa Mujeres, it was fantastic!

Dave

Room Tip: Roof top terrace rooms in building 7 get a good amount of sun all day long. In the afternoon you wil...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Tariss Z
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

We would like to thank you for taking the time to review Excellence Playa Mujeres.

We are honored to have received such a high rating review from a valuable guest. We are also thrilled to know we have met your standards on both your past and present stay. Feedback from our guests is very important to us and your input helps with our continuing efforts to provide excellent service and a great stay.

Thank you so much for your business and we look forward to seeing you this December.

Write a ReviewReviews (12,337)

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We stayed at EPM for 12 nights having booked a package through Caribbean Warehouse, flew with BA and private transfer was with Jumbo Tours. Very pleased with CW, representative from Jumbo Tours called out our name outside the airport and the transport arrived after about 15 minutes. We were given an invite to meet Alex at the back of the lobby as he acts as CW’s rep during your stay. This was our third visit to EPM and it exceeded our expectations and laid our doubts about the construction completely to rest. We were very pleased that we had declined CW’s offer to switch to ERC and would have kicked ourselves if we had missed our time at EPM.

We did have an issue on the BA flight, large group of lads were served way too much alcohol and became rowdy. We had the grand total of 2 drinks ourselves as the bar was empty when we asked for one, not impressed.

Anyhow, all thoughts of that forgotten when we arrived, had room 7254 with a mattress topper as previously requested by email and a bottle of champagne and fruit waiting for us. We unpacked, showered and ate at the Grill which was a bit disappointing as they gave us the wrong steaks, very fatty and gristly but when they brought the right ones, they were much better. In non EC rooms, you get a bottle of rum, tequila, Smirnoff vodka and red wine. We asked if we could switch the rum and tequila for a bottle of whisky but were told no, that perk was only for EC rooms. We accepted this but think it’s a silly rule and we would almost rather have not had the spirits than those we didn’t want to drink. This was resolved though by a friend of ours that has travelled to EPM several times and we did get the rum and tequila changed to a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black label. Can’t comment on the red wine as we didn’t open it and we didn’t like the white wine in the minibar (not up to the same standard as the wine served elsewhere).

We mostly hung out by the pool adjacent to the main pool as it was central without being too noisy (and I don’t mean the construction!). There was often a rowdy crowd gathered in the main pool towards the end of most afternoons but as others have said, if this is not for you, there are plenty of quieter spots. We did hear some sporadic construction noise but it did not affect our holiday in any way. One thing that did irritate me was the people that hogged the floats, taking them out of the pools and putting them by their sunbeds as if they were for their own personal use. I was pleased to see on the odd occasion that a member of staff picked them up and put them back on the poolside. It was quite amusing to see one couple returning to their beds looking for it. Incidentally, they had reserved their beds and it was lunchtime when they appeared. I believe they had probably also reserved beds on the beach. We did leave our beds whilst we went for lunch or out on the hobie cats but there didn’t seem to be any issues with people looking for sunbeds.

We went out twice on the hobie cats and once on a jet ski. You can haggle the price of these, we were told 60$ for 10 minutes but got half an hour for 50$ which was very reasonable. I was impressed by the guys from Aquaworld as when a couple we’d met capsized their hobie cat, the guys ran to the jet skis and rescued them within minutes. My tip would be to make the most of the free watersports which included the kayaks but also make sure you tip the guys. They took us out to give my husband a refresher in sailing the hobie cats and I don’t think they always get any recognition for what they provide to EPM guests.

We didn’t venture out this time as we were so chilled enjoying everything and have been out and about on previous trips.
I won’t go into detail about the bars and restaurants, suffice to say there are already numerous reviews with enough detail but would say that we thoroughly enjoyed all of them, the only one we didn’t try was the Mediterranean this time round. We mostly ate breakfast at Toscana and were welcomed by either the lovely Gloria or Shehily. Did try the Lobster Grill one morning and loved that too.
We weren’t overly impressed last time with Agave but their menu has changed and is more extensive and authentic and were glad we managed to eat there twice. The first time was as part of a party of 12 celebrating a birthday thanks to Todd (Travelinman) for arranging it with Vilma. The table was decorated and the staff looked after us all extremely well, even providing a birthday cake and plenty of tequila shots (which I didn’t actually have as I don’t like tequila unless it’s disguised in the cocktails). Both times, Claudio was our waiter and he made the flaming coffee for us which was absolutely fantastic to watch and also to drink.

There is a lot more live music than before, some bands playing during the day by the pool which we enjoyed as much as the evenings in Kafe Kafe. Only saw the fire show and part of the Michael Jackson show as mostly eating dinner during the times the shows were on.

We met Eric Cervantes and Naikare at the managers cocktail meeting and when my husband mentioned that our friend had a back problem, he arranged for the spa manager to come and speak to him who then arranged a free massage treatment which did relieve his problem to some extent. Eric also arranged a special table for the 4 of us at Basmati as our friend had mentioned that she was surprised there was no shrimp on the menu. We had eaten there a few nights previous and Javiar looked after us and even remembered what we had all been drinking the other evening. Our table was beautifully decorated with petal hearts and they did a special menu, including shrimp dishes, for us.
We had been introduced to Vilma by our friends, Todd & Carla, and the day before we left (our pick up was 2.30pm), we asked her if it was possible to keep our room for another half an hour. She spoke to reception and we were allowed to keep it for another hour which made all the difference to us. Whilst she was speaking to reception, Naikare asked us where we were eating on our last night. We told her the French with another couple and she asked us what time. When we arrived at the restaurant that evening, we were met by the manager, Pedro and taken to our table which had been decorated with petals. The waiter Raoul, looked after us and at the end of the meal, he took our desert menus away and told us they had arranged something special for us. The chef, Nester, then came out with 6 different deserts for us to try. It made our last evening very special.
Caesar and Hugo at the Martini Bar were great, suggested different drinks for us to try and Caesar would have my husband’s whisky on the rocks ready as we approached.
Our concierge Christian, also went out of his way. We stopped by to ask him where we could find some English paperbacks as there were none in the computer room, as we had found before. He asked us what type of books we liked to read and when we returned to our room that night, he had left us 3 books, all by authors we liked but hadn’t read. This is the sort of little touch where the staff at EPM exceed our expectations.

Cindy never let us go thirsty while we were sat by the pool. The lack of service was noticeable on her days off except for when Santiago served us too, we enjoyed our chats with him.
Other staff that looked after us were Gustavo, Tomas, Ruben, Efrain inToscano, Freddy, Carlos, Gerado at the Grill to name but a few.

The lady that did our turn down service, decorated our bed with petals and a towel heart on our last but one night. We had left a tip for her but feel bad that we didn’t get to see her or get her name. Also the minibar guy was good at making sure we had everything. There were a few days when they didn’t leave any creamer for our coffee but not a big deal for us. Nobody can expect complete perfection but what stands out for us overall is the service at EPM and the impression you get that everyone is happy in the work and their aim is to please their guests as much as possible.

Room Tip: Block 7a was in a good central location with a lovely view of the lazy river and ocean in the distan...
4  Thank EnglandBriAnn

First of all, allow us to thank you for giving us the opportunity to welcome you back at Excellence Playa Mujeres

We are glad to know that every time you have stayed with us, you have been able to enjoy of many unique and memorable experiences due to the amazing staff, the high quality food and drinks encountered at our Restaurants and bars, and lastly but no less important, our Resort facilities.

We all look forward to welcome you on your 4th visit, and to provide you with another memorable experience.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

I had been following reviews on TA for months before we travelled as well as dabbling in the forum. I really thought that people must be exaggerating about this hotel. We have travelled a lot and previously stayed at Excellence Riviera, Secrets Maroma, Eldorado Royale and El Dorado Casitas. All of which we loved for different reasons. We like adult only, AI and gourmet dining as opposed to standard buffets and all hotels offered this. I can be a bit of a hotel 'snob' and I am very particular about my likes and dislikes. No place is 100% perfect but EPM ticked just about all the boxes!

We stayed from April 15th-29th. I was a LOT concerned about the reports of construction noise before we travelled, having been notified by my TA at the end of Feb. So much so that I actively considered changing hotels. This was not possible in the end and I an so pleased we did not change. The construction, although apparent at various times, did not impact on our holiday at all. We had one of the best holidays we have ever had!

We pulled up to the hotel after a long flight from the UK. My heart sank as we saw the cranes next door from the drive up. It needn't have as we never really noticed them again until leaving.
Check in was very quick and efficient. I had previously requested a room in block 7b but we were informed that this is now EC level and we were not. My back up had been 2 or 3 near the spa but we were allocated 7a. We were told that the spa rooms allocated to non EC guests only had 2 double beds and we wanted a king. We were told to come back if we didn't like the room and they would offer us another. There was no need. The room was perfect. We were in 7256 on the 2nd floor overlooking the lazy river. It was perfectly located and had a lovely view. Apparently this block used to be EC but is no longer while 7b is in use. I'm not sure whether or not this is permanent but they built a concierge hut by the 7b pool whilst we were there which suggests it may be? We could hear the music on a night from café kafe but it was quite nice to listen to whilst getting ready. We were never back in room before it finished later on so cannot comment on noise levels then save to say we were never disturbed.

There has been much description of the rooms so I will not go into detail other than to say they are THE nicest rooms we have stayed in. The layout, size, day bed on balcony and round Jacuzzi tub were all fantastic. In room spirits, coffee etc and mini bar along with 24 hr room service. All you could ask for.
We spent our first day on the beach as it was a bit breezier there. There was not much sea grass whilst we were there apart from 1 or 2 days when it was very windy. The sea was a beautiful range of clours and the sand so soft. The next few days we were by the 7b pool and were virtually the only ones there. We then moved to the 9a pool which was closer to more of the 'action' yet still quiet enough to relax. The only signs we saw restricting use of any pools to EC only was by the 8b pool. We did not venture to the pool by #9 as it was round the back by the construction and that was where most of the noise could be heard. We really couldn't hear much elsewhere in the resort although we did occasionally hear the pile driving but it only seemed to last about 5-10 mins at a time.

In 14 days we only had 1/2 day of rain. The rest of the time it was so hot I actually burnt my feet. We went through 8 bottles of sun tan lotion. The sun is so intense I suggest you take plenty of lotion and high SPF. I tan very easily but still had to resort to 30 spf!

We ate at all the restaurants. We liked them all so it is difficult to rank them. Favourite was Chez Isabelle, but we loved Spice, Basmati, Flavour Market, Lobster..... all of them! House wine tended to be Chilean. We had Antares most nights and found it very palatable. We tended to eat around 8pm and walked straight in most nights. A couple of times they gave us a buzzer but it was nowhere near as long as they suggested. We made good friends with 2 other couples and also ate as a 6 and 4 on several nights. Again, this was never a problem.

We attended the manager's cocktail party which was really just a chance to chat to those in charge around the pool area. We met the no2, Eric Cervantes who was very friendly and genuinely interested in our thoughts. After saying how much we were enjoying our trip, I happened to mention in passing, that I was disappointed they did not serve shrimp in Basmati. He immediately arranged for us to eat there at a day and time of our choice with our friends. We did not need a reservation. On arrival, they were expecting us. They had decorated a table with candles and roses and prepared a special menu including the elusive shrimp! It was absolutely gorgeous! The waiter even remembered our drinks order from the previous night. The whole experience left us feeling very special and showed the lengths they will go to to keep their customers happy.
In addition, we had also mentioned to Eric that my partner had been suffering from a bad back since we arrived. He thought he had trapped a nerve. Immediately he arranged for Nallely, the spa manage,r to come and see us. She arranged for him to have a spa treatment and massage to see if they could ease this. All at no cost to us! (I was quite jealous!) We cannot express how impressed we were with everyone. I don't think we came across any staff member who was rude to us.

On our last night we again ate with our friends and dined again in Chez Isabelle. Again we were presented with a lovely table decorated with petals. It's normally us looking longingly at someone else on the end of this sort of service! The service was outstanding, not only from our waiter Raul, but also the manager, Pedro. The food was to die for and the chef, Nestor, actually came out to see us and brought a specially made dessert. He is obviously very proud of his work.

We didn't do much while we were there as our idea of a holiday is to just chill for 2 weeks but we were persuaded to take out a hobie cat (catamaran) with our friends. This is free from 'aquaworld' right next to the x lounge on the beach. Unfortunately we did this on a very windy day and I think I swallowed half the ocean! There were 4 of us on one and 2 on another. I was very concerned we would capsize, being a wimp when it comes to the sea, but I was reassured that could not happen! Well it didn't happen to us, but unfortunately it did to our friends!! I think probably because they were only 2 and sat on the same side? The boys from the aqua club were really good and arrived in minutes on jet skis to rescue them. Lesson is, don't pick a windy day and don't sit on the same side!

All in all we had an absolutely fantastic holiday and EPM exceeded all expectations! We met some great people and have made some new good friends. Hi to Andree, Brian, Amy and Mark!and also to Todd (drinks list!) and Carla.
We will be back!

Room Tip: 7a was great block. Above 2nd floor you should have a sea view. Corner rooms ended in '58'
15  Thank Jane B

It is our pleasure to know that Excellence Playa Mujeres have met your expectations, making you feel relaxed and pampered all the time. Our commitment is to make of every guest experience, as exceptional and unique as it can be.

Thank you for letting us know how memorable and special was your stay, due to our resort facilities and atmosphere, the food & drinks quality encountered , and the outstanding service provided by our staff members, who always attended to your needs.

We will be looking forward to your next visit at any Excellence Resort.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Stayed here in January 2014 with my new husband. Was such an incredible experience. The staff were out of this world, couldn't do enough for the guests. The food was absolutely incredible, I particularly recommend the Lobster House and French restaurant which was out of this world. The steak was melt in the mouth. Paying the extra to be a part of the excellence club was money well spent for a special occasion. Enjoyed para-sailing and jet skiing on the beach, and archery with some of the other hotel guests. No need to leave the resort, so much to do and eat!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emma D
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

This was our first trip to Mexico and what a way to go !! Loved this hotel was made to feel like royalty in every way. Food was amazing the service was incredible !! Juliana who works the main pool is amazing. Her service was the best she couldnt do enough for you :) Eduardo in the swim up bar knows how to make a fantastic cocktail ! The room was perfect very clean mini bar stocked daily. My only little moan would have to be about the workers on the sol bar not Angeles the other two !! They were quite rude my boyfriend waited 40minutes for a drink and when he did get served he had attitude. But we didnt let that spoil our time as everything was perfect. Defiantly returning next year !! Best place highly recommend :)

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 3 May 2014

It was my first time in all inclusive resorts and it was amazing the staff is outstanding, the food was good, the rooms are beautiful, if you want to take a good holidays go there, Yes is truth that they have the construction there but also is truth that they do everything fo to keep happy everybody, i would like to mention to Dallel in the excellence club, Byron, María, Miriam Concierge i would like to say thanks to Virginia the General Manager, babay you have a great staff and final y i would like to mention to Nike the Guest. Service, she is the best of the best, if you go there loor for Nike and then you tell me

2  Thank Arthur M
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We stayed at the Excellence in late April. Wow.

Upon arrival, we were greeted with champagne. We signed up for the Excellence Club, and were taken to the south region of the compound to the Excellence Club room to check in.

GROUNDS: The resort grounds are pristine. Everything is very clean and organized. The central swim up pool is the focal point, and can get a little roudy around happy hour time. There is a separate, longer lazy river that encircles the spa. There are a couple other smaller private pools for Club members. It is an adults only resort. There were a few louder wedding parties that seemed to stay a shorter duration of 3-4 days.

People tend to try to reserve pool side chairs, beds, and buoy rafts early in the morning and place their belongs ontop of them. The daily flyer is clear and against this, but it still happens.

There is a nice gym with many resistance machines, free weights, and treadmills. Refrigerator with water bottles. Nice lavender smell in the gym.

There are very few bugs. There are scattered iguanas throughout the resort. We did get bitten a few times when we went in the ocean, possibly water mites?

SPA: Wow. We signed up for a couple massage ~$300. It begins with a multi-step hydro therapy course, steam room, and sauna. The actual massage was amazing. Worth it.

WIFI is present throughout the resort, though stronger signal in the rooms and check-in areas. We tested the signal speed, ranging from 2 - 6mbps. We kept our phones on Airplane mode and used Wifi to connect with the outside world. Some people tried Facetime, without success.

SERVICE: Every server speaks good english. No matter the worker, whether it be the bartender, server, bellboy, everyone greeted with you a "hello, ola" and ended their service with "my pleasure." It seemed every server remembered my name. We were brought small treats such as chocolate covered strawberries every evening. Also, the concierge called us every evening before dinner to see if we were doing well (maybe because of the building 9 construction noise issues.)

EXCELLENCE CLUB LEVEL: The excellence club room is awesome. Separate high end treats throughout the day and small odeurves at each meal time. They have a dedicated bartender who serves top shelf liquor. It is a nice recluse away from the main resort.

FOOD: The food is good. The buffet style breakfast at Tuscana is decent. At lunch time, the poolside pizza oven is popular, as is the poolside Grill (try the flank steak and grouper) and Lobster house. Alternatively, you can order "room service," and the waiter/waitress brings decent bar food to your layout chair. ALL the drinking water is filtered, so you have less GI complications to worry about.

There is an ice cream machine near the theatre and game tables which is a nice touch.

For dinner, there are many ethnic themed restaurants. The Indian, French, and Asian restaurants seemed to be the most popular. It is first come first serve, and sometimes there is a 30-45 minute wait. We put our names down and went to an adjacent restaurant to have appetizers and pass time.

ACTIVITIES: Non motorized water toys such as kayaks, paddle boarding, and wind surfs were available at the beach kiosk, at no additional cost. There is some form of live entertainment every night near the theatre.

ROOM: The rooms are spacious and nice. The bathroom door is weird. Its a relatively see-through, frosted glass door that is open at the top and bottom end. You'll be able to see and hear your roommate utilize the toilet. The in fridge is stocked with sodas, coronas, and candy. There is an array of hard liquor and wine to drink from, which we didn't touch. There is also a small Nespresso machine, nice touch. A server comes into your room each afternoon to place the next day's resort schedule. We thought this was surprising and a bit intrusive, and placed the do not disturb sign for the rest of our stay.

PROBLEM SOLVING: We were placed in building 9, next to the ongoing construction. The first night, we were awaken to very loud pile driving construction that lasted until 1am. The construction is separate from the resort and the management could do little to stop them. That being said, the concierge and management checked on us frequently, gave us a free additional spa treatment, and an equivalent 4 night voucher for our next visit. I don't know if we'll use the free vacation, but we were floored by the generosity and service to try to make things right.

Room Tip: Building 8 or 7 facing the poolside bar
4  Thank kimmersj21
Le Blanc Spa Resort
Le Blanc Spa Resort
#1 of 177 in Cancun
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!