“Very Disappointed!”

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This was my third visit to Excellence Playa Mujeres. Each time, I have had an amazing experience! This was NOT one of those times! To begin, our greeting and check-in process was wonderful. We had no problem and were escorted immediately to our room. After that, everything went downhill. The pool service was subpar and the bar tenders and pool attendants would disappear for extended amounts of time throughout the day, leaving long lines of people gathered by the pool bars. While breaks are fine, the resort needs to manage this better and ensure there is someone to cover the bar area when one attendant leaves. Furthermore, the premium liquor once offered here has been downgraded. In the past, my husband was able to get chilled Don Julio and we were told on numerous occasions that is was no longer an option at this resort. Not a major issue, but definitely noteworthy when looking to book an all-inclusive. The staff seemed almost demanding of tips and gratuity. The staff, overall, didn't seem as helpful and hospitable. They seemed put out at simple requests. For example, I called concierge to get more towels. After an hour of waiting, I roamed the halls to find towels on my own so that I could shower. Our room service took well over an hour each time we ordered anything and on several occasions, our order was wrong. We didn't want to wait another hour or more to replace the wrong food though!
The construction going on somewhere near the resort was a HUGE issue! I did actually complain about this on our 2nd night, when were awoken at 2 am with loud, consistent clanking sounds. We were told they could change our room. At 2 am, that didn't really seem feasible. I was greeted by a manager the next day and offered a free hydrospa apt based on my complaint. I accepted it and was told that there would not be anymore construction... it continued. All through the night and day. While I understand the need, I do not understand how the resort would expect this to be acceptable throughout the night while guests are trying to sleep and relax! That was extremely disappointing.
Finally, the check out process was probably the most disappointing part... The bellhop was almost an hour late bringing our bags down during check out. We were sitting on our shuttle, waiting for him, even though we set the time the previous evening. When he saw us already on the shuttle (and after we had asked the concierge numerous times about the bags), the bellhop walked to our shuttle door, and in front of other guests, angrily yelled for us to get off and watch him put the bags in the car. I assume he thought he wasn't going to get a tip; however, tips should NEVER be guaranteed. We had planned on tipping him, but had not even gotten a chance before he started yelling at us in front of other guests. Furthermore, when my husband got off the shuttle to "watch our bags" being put in the shuttle, the bellhop refused and my husband had to load everything in there himself. Again, while other guests watched, as if we did something wrong. The bellhop continued to point and complain about us to other staff members. This was extremely embarrassing and should have NEVER happened, especially after he had already made our shuttle late, despite us making arrangements to get our bags well in advance with plenty of time to spare.
Again, this was my 3rd time here and the first trip I have been disappointed. We were there for a wedding, which took place there by MY recommendation to the bride! Since our first trip in 2008, we have now recommended and sent over 40 couples (including the most recent wedding party) to the Excellence Playa Mujeres. Another group of friends are trying to book another upcoming trip and I will strongly discourage them from doing so.

19  Thank Amberlb81
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

First of all, allow us to thank you for giving us the opportunity to welcome you back at Excellence Playa Mujeres.

Our guests experience is important to us, and it is of deep regret to hear that our service was not of your full satisfaction. Although at Excellence Resorts, each member of our staff is continuously trained for the proper development of their duties and to deliver high quality service that exceed the expectations of all our guests.

Allow us to apologize for the bad impression acquired, due to the gratuities given to our staff members. We certainly appreciate all guests who recognize the hard work done by them, even though these are not mandatory or expected by any staff member.

Finally, it is of deep regret to hear that the new development being built in Playa Mujeres Community outside our Resort and external to our control affected your perception towards your holidays with us. Nonetheless, be assured that we keep working every day to provide the ultimate Luxury All-Inclusive experience to all our guests.

Write a ReviewReviews (12,355)

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We had eleven glorious nights at EPM from 8th - 19th April. We stayed here the previous April and aren't really the sort of people who go back to the same hotel more than once, which in itself, is a great testament to the quality and service on offer at EPM that we broke our own rule and returned.

Our flight (albeit long) was smooth & our transfer great. It is a nice feeling driving to the hotel knowing that it's going to be fabulous. We were greeted with the same warmth & hospitality as before and we were allocated Building 8 which we had requested via email through Vilma. It was Mr Duck's birthday the day we arrived & I had also mentioned it to Vilma in my correspondence. Our room was decorated with balloons and streamers and there was a birthday cake and a bottle of champagne and a fruit bowl. We even had matching polo shirts as gifts for repeat customers. I was so grateful that she had arranged his surprise as he had no idea I had told them and it really got our trip off to a great start. If you have any special requests - please ask the staff. If it is within their power & reasonable, they will most certainly go out of their way to make sure you have an amazing time.

There had been a lot of "chatter" on the forum in the weeks leading up to our trip regarding the construction noise. Now, I can't say we didn't hear it occasionally because we did - but did it affect our time - no way !!!

We basically had the most wonderful holiday. Met so many new friends, lazed by the pool, floated around the lazy river, walked along the beach, ate too much, drank too much, exercised too little . . . Etc.

There are loads of detailed reviews regarding the restaurants so I won't repeat. We had one bad evening dinner the whole time (Agave), but my waistline needed the night off anyway!!! Our favourite was the French restaurant & special mention must go to Gloria at breakfast - she has THE most beautiful smile and is such a lovely girl.

If you get chance then you must go over to the island. Seven of us went over for the day and had so much fun. We literally laughed all day long. It's great touring all over the island in the little golf carts & you really can't get lost. Oh, if you pass a sign that reads "Beer so cold, it'll make your teeth hurt" - then stop, go in and sample. They live up to their sign & the views are spectacular.

In summary - if you are thinking about having a holiday at EPM, then do it. We met so many people who had spent years travelling throughout this area and said EPM is the best. Many were on their 4th, 5th, 6th plus time here. If you do go - make sure you give Gloria a BIG smile.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank MrandMrsDuck
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This was our first visit to Excellence Playa Mujeres. Having stayed at Excellence Riviera Cancun twice before (for a total of 23 days) we really wanted to try EPM and see if we liked it just as much. We stayed 17 – 21 April and booked an Excellence Club Ocean Front room. For this trip we stayed at EPM for 4 nights and then at ERC for 5 nights. Being able to compare the two resorts on trip advisor was a large part of making the decision to stay at both resorts this trip and so I have focussed my review on the similarities and differences of each.

On arrival we were checked in at the front desk as there was some confusion over our booking category but this was fine as there was no queue. We were allocated to room 7223 in building 7b that I was disappointed at as I was very aware that 12 months ago it was being sold as non-EC. I explained this to the lady on the front desk and she politely indicated that we should talk to the EC concierge in the morning as they were fully booked for that night.

Having decided to upgrade to the Excellence Club I was ever so excited to see the Ocean from the balcony. I was disappointed to see that we had a view of TBH next door’s playground and a very limited view of the ocean because of an unfortunately places palm tree (See picture attached). We mentioned our disappointment to the EC concierge that evening and she felt that we should talk to Erik, the front desk manager. Erik was professional and exceptionally friendly, he listened to our concerns and was very honest with us. We could see that the next door construction was difficult for them. He very kindly moved us the next day to a RTT in building 7 (a non-EC building) allowing us to keep the non in-room EC benefits like access to the EC beach etc. which we were very happy with. He also arranged for us to have special dinners and some little extra’s as well which were just wonderful. Each day when he saw us in the lounge or around the property he would come over to talk to us and see how we were doing. Because he was in a meeting when we checked out he called us in our room at ERC to say goodbye and make sure we had a lovely stay at the resort. I have honestly never seen an employee go out of their way to such an extent to ensure that a guest is happy. He is such a testament to the hotel.

ROOM: The RTT room was just beautiful and we both preferred it to our room at ERC. Our RTT was stunning but had no shade until 4pm which was a shame. Because of this, we only used it for an hour or so after that time but it was lovely to have our own private pool. It would be fantastic if there was a way of incorporating shade into the RTT design. We could see the ocean from the back of the RTT but not from the front. It was lovely to watch the sunset from the pool. We found the AC in the rooms at EPM to be on the poor side if you are not used to hot weather and like the room to be really cold. Although it pumps out at 65F it does not pump out powerfully enough to keep the whole room at this temperature. Concierge arranged for our AC to be changed to 63F which did help a little. It would be good to see the AC control panel work better and actually change fan settings as it seemed to stay stuck on setting 1. We heard other guests mentioning this issue as well.

SURROUNDING BUILDINGS: The guest rooms at EPM were generally 5 stories high compared to 3 at ERC. The buildings were modern, sharp and very clean and when compared to the ERC buildings they were much more striking. The building layout is closer to the Ocean at ERC and an ‘Ocean Front’ room will definitely get you a fantastic ocean view. At EPM an ‘ocean front’ room should get you an ocean view – it is more of a dice roll now that they are using 7B as EC. For us, we realized that we preferred the RTT more than the Ocean View. It is such a shame that you can’t pay for the non in-room EC benefits as the combination that we had was just perfect for us. Inside the buildings and restaurants it was slightly too warm for my liking. Some nights I had to waft myself with a piece of paper or a napkin. In comparison, at ERC I would wear a light cardigan and be very comfortable which we preferred. The restaurants themselves were beautiful but we felt that the ERC ones had slightly more character. For example, we really liked the seats in the French Restaurant in ERC.

GROUNDS: The grounds we preferred at EPM as there is less open paved space and more green space. Both resorts have beautiful grounds though and the garden maintenance staff work so hard.

SPA: The spa is prettier from the outside at ERC and has more of a romantic feel. The Hydro therapy session was good at both – at EPM the whole pool was heated which was much nicer but we didn’t get the little massage at the end nor the walking over the stones section like you do at ERC. This could have been because we had a treatment planned for right after and so we may not have gotten to the end of the session. Massages at both resorts were lovely, I found the room at EPM to be slightly on the cool side which made me shiver a little but Andy was fine. At ERC they braided my hair at the end of the treatment which was very sweet. A little downside to the Hydrotherapy at EPM was that the floor tiles are quite slippy and I tripped over once (only lightly and no pain or anything at all and the staff asked on numerous occasions if I was okay – which I was!) whereas the tiles at EPM are non-slippy.

BEACH: We loved the excellence beach at EPM. It was not as deep as at ERC and there were bushes dotted around giving it a hide-away feel which was lovely and quiet/relaxing. The beach concierge was fantastic – I did debated before hand over what added value the EC would give us but the beach alone for us was worth it. There were 4 really soft double beds under a thatched shade roof with white drapes around that were better than any of the ones at ERC (you had to be on the beach before 7:30 to get one though). It would be good to see more of these as they were exceptionally popular. Manuel, the concierge would chat to us each morning, lay out our towels, bring us water, cocktail samples and petit fours throughout the day. He remembered us each day and it was nice to see such a friendly face. On 2 of the days we were there they had a live band playing relaxing music just for the EC guests with a small petit fours offering that the hotel management were giving out – this was wonderful and a great opportunity to meet the management team in a relaxing and informal way. We didn't see this at ERC which was a shame. It was lovely to meet Virginia on the beach saying hello to the guests.

POOL: At EPM the main pool is split into 2 distinct sections which spreads the crowds out well. Although both resorts were full, EPM felt fuller which tells me the grounds at ERC are better at ‘hiding’ people. We loved the beach so much that we did not walk around the spa pool to be able to compare it as we could not tear ourselves away.

FOOD: Breakfast was better at EPM hands down mainly because they cook more things to order (Pancakes, crepes, French toast etc.). Lunch was lovely at both resorts. Evening meals are harder to judge as the few poorer meals we had could have been a one off. Flavour market was lovely, the menu was fantastic and the flavours were great but the food was slightly on the cool side but this did not spoil it for us. The steak at the French restaurant was cooked to perfection at EPM and unfortunately was very under done and ERC. Room service was faultless at EPM, we had one occasion at ERC where room service at pre 6am took an hour to arrive and some items were cold and some incorrect.

ENTERTAINMENT: Evening entertainment was good and the same at both resorts. We loved listening to Claudia and the band – they have been our favourite every visit. The day time entertainment was more laid back at EPM and sometimes didn't start on time but you are on holiday so that didn’t really matter. Overall it was good at both resorts.

CONSTRUCTION: Could be heard intermittently once or twice a day for a small amount of time from where we were - We spent all of our time split between our room in building 7 and the EC beach. When we walked around the two 9 buildings the noise was loud at times and I would not have wanted to be in those buildings. Everywhere else on the resort and I would say it was fine and not even an annoyance. I would not hesitate going back as long as I could ensure I would not be placed in 9 (which unfortunately has one of the nicest views)

Was EC at EPM worth it? Yes, for us it was worth it as we really loved the beach and we used the EC lounge as well. We did not use the private pool areas as they just were not to our preference and the beach was so lovely.

Will we return? – We will definitely return. Overall we had a truly fantastic vacation made special by Virginia, Erik and the rest of the team.

3  Thank Steffy&Andy

First of all, allow us to thank you for giving us the opportunity to welcome you back at Excellence Resorts.

We are more than pleased to hear that your experience with us was nothing short of extraordinary. We will ensure that your amiable comments reach the eyes and ears of all our staff at Excellence Playa Mujeres. It means so much more when it comes from the opinion of our valued guests.

We look forward to having the opportunity to receive you on your next Caribbean holiday and to make your stay with us a pleasant one.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed here for our honeymoon - treated like royalty and have honestly never stayed in a better hotel anywhere in the world!! From the turn down service, to the many cocktails, everything was amazing. Always had sun loungers available and did not have to get up early to locate one! 24 hour room service was the icing on the cake. It was simply perfect!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Jenny L
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Just returned from our second stay at E.P.M.

For this stay we brought along our daughter and my Mom for eight days.

Second time using USA Transfers and we can't find a thing wrong with their service.

Got to the hotel and was greeted and taken to the Ex. Club lounge. As soon as I walked by the main lobby bar I saw Federico and said "buenos tardes!" and before I knew It he stopped stocking the bar and I had two coronas in my hands! Thanks F !

As we were checking in I was told the request I had made wasn't available. No problem, I understand that it is just a request and EPM does do a great job of trying to fill those requests, it just wasn't in the cards for us this time. (We asked for building 8)

I was apologized to and asked if it would be okay to upgrade both room to RTT (in building 7) and my answer was a YES! and a gracias! (Muchas gracias again EPM)

Had a nice excellence hat and two fabric book marks waiting for us in our room as a thank you for returning. How cool is that?!

Our RTT (roof top terrace) looked to the North across the property - over the lazy river, and the activities building. A very nice few of the beautiful grounds, the palm trees, and a good bit of the ocean.

After check in we headed over to the lobster shop for lunch. Ceviche, Cesar salad and chicken tacos for me. All were wonderful. Noe took care of us and had drink for all quickly. Salsa chips and guacamole were delicious.

The onion rings I ordered were a bit soft - meaning the batter wasn't crunchy as I'm used to, but nothing that took away from the meal. My wife ordered suckling pig tacos, Mom had cheviche as well along with a little bit off of everyone's plate. My daughter ordered shrimp cocktail and grilled chicken breast which had good flavor.

After lunch off to the EC beach where we saw Manuel/Martin who remembered us from last Fall. He got a big hug from my wife and myself! Manuel found us a perfect spot on the beach and everyone but Mom went straight for the water. The temp of the water is almost perfect in regards to the heat and bit of humidity at the beach.

After cooling off we laid down and kept remarking how it had only felt as we were there last week, and how much we forgot we enjoyed being here!! Kudos to everyone here on the staff.

Sea grass minimum, in front of EPM and come to think of it I didn't see the tractor work the beach all day.

Came back to Raquel at the EC beach who took care of us all day and is great!

Construction noise was off an on, but we heard very little from building 7. I enjoy the beach volleyball so I'm right at the construction sight (100 yards away) twice a day for a few hours. Never any loud pile driving all day, just sporadic.

Beach volleyball was great. Filippo handled the early games at times Addial was there running the show. Good competition and fun. Both gentlemen are fantastic, and I was glad to see Addial taking on some entertainment duties over at the Los Olas beach buffet.

The treat of the day (for me) was going to the beach lunch at Las Olas. Sub sandwich and sliced fruit was being served. I grabbed the cup full of fruit (and vegetables) that had a fantastic hot sauce on it. Never even thought of trying hot sauce on fruit and it was delicious. I believe the subs were BBQ pulled pork with condiments on the side to choose from. I had a bit of my wife's sub and it had good flavor.

At Los Olas Helping us with our beverages was Lizenth. What a totally wonderful young lady. She spent time with us as I have been trying to master short phrases in Spanish. Lizenth was helping all of us with our Spanish and we were trying to help her with English. By "trying to help" her I mean she speaks better English than some of my USA born and raised coworkers. As we were in our beach wear we didn't have any tip money on us, but we will go back tomorrow and make up for today to this wonderful young lady.

Over our stay we were very entertained by the fire show, and the Michael Jackson tribute show. Gustavo's performances of guitar playing and singing were good as well.

At the lobster shop we did end up ordering both the grilled and steamed lobster. All four of us found the steamed to be bland. Also - no lemon and butter served, so if that's the way you enjoy your lobster make sure and ask for those sides.

Very surprised with the good meal I had at Spice (Asian restaurant) as I'm not a big eater of Asian food.

I can tell you everything was so wonderful by day eight we were NOT ready to leave.

My wife and I felt that with our second trip there, we were able to know what to expect, and were more comfortable with our surroundings. We were delighted to see staff members that remembered us from out last visit, and made some new friends with some of the employees we got to know this visit.

We did have a small unfortunate accident while there that needed a trip to the Cancun emergency clinic.

My wife slipped on the edge of the RTT private pool edge and landed on her chin. (I attribute the crunch to 85% of the extra shots of rum in the pina coladas, 10% to the surface being wet and 5% not paying attention)

I took her to the onsite Doctor's office where Dr. David took a look and fixed her up. The cut under her chin was deep so he made arrangements for a taxi ride to the Cancun clinic. We were at the clinic just over an hour where my wife got three stitches and we were back on our way.

Nobody wants to use any type of medical help while on vacation, but this unfortunate accident showed me that there is a very good onsite medical staff at Excellence, and the downtown Cancun clinic did a good job as well.

I want to thank the staff at Excellence Playa Murjeres. They were all wonderful, friendly, helpful, entertaining, and personable.

A special thank you to the old friends we visited with, and the some of the new friends we made and look forward to when we go back this December - Manuel/Martin, Federico, Filippo, Addial, Veronica, Guillermo, Naikare, Vilma, Jesus, Dave, and if I wasn't so bad with names there are another 4-5 folks I should be thanking!

My wife and I have already booked our two week stay at the end of this December. Both our cell phones have our new count down to Excellence on them already. Only 229 days to go.

Thank you again Excellence Playa Mujeres, it was fantastic!

Dave

Room Tip: Roof top terrace rooms in building 7 get a good amount of sun all day long. In the afternoon you wil...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Tariss Z

We would like to thank you for taking the time to review Excellence Playa Mujeres.

We are honored to have received such a high rating review from a valuable guest. We are also thrilled to know we have met your standards on both your past and present stay. Feedback from our guests is very important to us and your input helps with our continuing efforts to provide excellent service and a great stay.

Thank you so much for your business and we look forward to seeing you this December.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We stayed at EPM for 12 nights having booked a package through Caribbean Warehouse, flew with BA and private transfer was with Jumbo Tours. Very pleased with CW, representative from Jumbo Tours called out our name outside the airport and the transport arrived after about 15 minutes. We were given an invite to meet Alex at the back of the lobby as he acts as CW’s rep during your stay. This was our third visit to EPM and it exceeded our expectations and laid our doubts about the construction completely to rest. We were very pleased that we had declined CW’s offer to switch to ERC and would have kicked ourselves if we had missed our time at EPM.

We did have an issue on the BA flight, large group of lads were served way too much alcohol and became rowdy. We had the grand total of 2 drinks ourselves as the bar was empty when we asked for one, not impressed.

Anyhow, all thoughts of that forgotten when we arrived, had room 7254 with a mattress topper as previously requested by email and a bottle of champagne and fruit waiting for us. We unpacked, showered and ate at the Grill which was a bit disappointing as they gave us the wrong steaks, very fatty and gristly but when they brought the right ones, they were much better. In non EC rooms, you get a bottle of rum, tequila, Smirnoff vodka and red wine. We asked if we could switch the rum and tequila for a bottle of whisky but were told no, that perk was only for EC rooms. We accepted this but think it’s a silly rule and we would almost rather have not had the spirits than those we didn’t want to drink. This was resolved though by a friend of ours that has travelled to EPM several times and we did get the rum and tequila changed to a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black label. Can’t comment on the red wine as we didn’t open it and we didn’t like the white wine in the minibar (not up to the same standard as the wine served elsewhere).

We mostly hung out by the pool adjacent to the main pool as it was central without being too noisy (and I don’t mean the construction!). There was often a rowdy crowd gathered in the main pool towards the end of most afternoons but as others have said, if this is not for you, there are plenty of quieter spots. We did hear some sporadic construction noise but it did not affect our holiday in any way. One thing that did irritate me was the people that hogged the floats, taking them out of the pools and putting them by their sunbeds as if they were for their own personal use. I was pleased to see on the odd occasion that a member of staff picked them up and put them back on the poolside. It was quite amusing to see one couple returning to their beds looking for it. Incidentally, they had reserved their beds and it was lunchtime when they appeared. I believe they had probably also reserved beds on the beach. We did leave our beds whilst we went for lunch or out on the hobie cats but there didn’t seem to be any issues with people looking for sunbeds.

We went out twice on the hobie cats and once on a jet ski. You can haggle the price of these, we were told 60$ for 10 minutes but got half an hour for 50$ which was very reasonable. I was impressed by the guys from Aquaworld as when a couple we’d met capsized their hobie cat, the guys ran to the jet skis and rescued them within minutes. My tip would be to make the most of the free watersports which included the kayaks but also make sure you tip the guys. They took us out to give my husband a refresher in sailing the hobie cats and I don’t think they always get any recognition for what they provide to EPM guests.

We didn’t venture out this time as we were so chilled enjoying everything and have been out and about on previous trips.
I won’t go into detail about the bars and restaurants, suffice to say there are already numerous reviews with enough detail but would say that we thoroughly enjoyed all of them, the only one we didn’t try was the Mediterranean this time round. We mostly ate breakfast at Toscana and were welcomed by either the lovely Gloria or Shehily. Did try the Lobster Grill one morning and loved that too.
We weren’t overly impressed last time with Agave but their menu has changed and is more extensive and authentic and were glad we managed to eat there twice. The first time was as part of a party of 12 celebrating a birthday thanks to Todd (Travelinman) for arranging it with Vilma. The table was decorated and the staff looked after us all extremely well, even providing a birthday cake and plenty of tequila shots (which I didn’t actually have as I don’t like tequila unless it’s disguised in the cocktails). Both times, Claudio was our waiter and he made the flaming coffee for us which was absolutely fantastic to watch and also to drink.

There is a lot more live music than before, some bands playing during the day by the pool which we enjoyed as much as the evenings in Kafe Kafe. Only saw the fire show and part of the Michael Jackson show as mostly eating dinner during the times the shows were on.

We met Eric Cervantes and Naikare at the managers cocktail meeting and when my husband mentioned that our friend had a back problem, he arranged for the spa manager to come and speak to him who then arranged a free massage treatment which did relieve his problem to some extent. Eric also arranged a special table for the 4 of us at Basmati as our friend had mentioned that she was surprised there was no shrimp on the menu. We had eaten there a few nights previous and Javiar looked after us and even remembered what we had all been drinking the other evening. Our table was beautifully decorated with petal hearts and they did a special menu, including shrimp dishes, for us.
We had been introduced to Vilma by our friends, Todd & Carla, and the day before we left (our pick up was 2.30pm), we asked her if it was possible to keep our room for another half an hour. She spoke to reception and we were allowed to keep it for another hour which made all the difference to us. Whilst she was speaking to reception, Naikare asked us where we were eating on our last night. We told her the French with another couple and she asked us what time. When we arrived at the restaurant that evening, we were met by the manager, Pedro and taken to our table which had been decorated with petals. The waiter Raoul, looked after us and at the end of the meal, he took our desert menus away and told us they had arranged something special for us. The chef, Nester, then came out with 6 different deserts for us to try. It made our last evening very special.
Caesar and Hugo at the Martini Bar were great, suggested different drinks for us to try and Caesar would have my husband’s whisky on the rocks ready as we approached.
Our concierge Christian, also went out of his way. We stopped by to ask him where we could find some English paperbacks as there were none in the computer room, as we had found before. He asked us what type of books we liked to read and when we returned to our room that night, he had left us 3 books, all by authors we liked but hadn’t read. This is the sort of little touch where the staff at EPM exceed our expectations.

Cindy never let us go thirsty while we were sat by the pool. The lack of service was noticeable on her days off except for when Santiago served us too, we enjoyed our chats with him.
Other staff that looked after us were Gustavo, Tomas, Ruben, Efrain inToscano, Freddy, Carlos, Gerado at the Grill to name but a few.

The lady that did our turn down service, decorated our bed with petals and a towel heart on our last but one night. We had left a tip for her but feel bad that we didn’t get to see her or get her name. Also the minibar guy was good at making sure we had everything. There were a few days when they didn’t leave any creamer for our coffee but not a big deal for us. Nobody can expect complete perfection but what stands out for us overall is the service at EPM and the impression you get that everyone is happy in the work and their aim is to please their guests as much as possible.

Room Tip: Block 7a was in a good central location with a lovely view of the lazy river and ocean in the distan...
4  Thank EnglandBriAnn

We are glad to know that every time you have stayed with us, you have been able to enjoy of many unique and memorable experiences due to the amazing staff, the high quality food and drinks encountered at our Restaurants and bars, and lastly but no less important, our Resort facilities.

We all look forward to welcome you on your 4th visit, and to provide you with another memorable experience.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

I had been following reviews on TA for months before we travelled as well as dabbling in the forum. I really thought that people must be exaggerating about this hotel. We have travelled a lot and previously stayed at Excellence Riviera, Secrets Maroma, Eldorado Royale and El Dorado Casitas. All of which we loved for different reasons. We like adult only, AI and gourmet dining as opposed to standard buffets and all hotels offered this. I can be a bit of a hotel 'snob' and I am very particular about my likes and dislikes. No place is 100% perfect but EPM ticked just about all the boxes!

We stayed from April 15th-29th. I was a LOT concerned about the reports of construction noise before we travelled, having been notified by my TA at the end of Feb. So much so that I actively considered changing hotels. This was not possible in the end and I an so pleased we did not change. The construction, although apparent at various times, did not impact on our holiday at all. We had one of the best holidays we have ever had!

We pulled up to the hotel after a long flight from the UK. My heart sank as we saw the cranes next door from the drive up. It needn't have as we never really noticed them again until leaving.
Check in was very quick and efficient. I had previously requested a room in block 7b but we were informed that this is now EC level and we were not. My back up had been 2 or 3 near the spa but we were allocated 7a. We were told that the spa rooms allocated to non EC guests only had 2 double beds and we wanted a king. We were told to come back if we didn't like the room and they would offer us another. There was no need. The room was perfect. We were in 7256 on the 2nd floor overlooking the lazy river. It was perfectly located and had a lovely view. Apparently this block used to be EC but is no longer while 7b is in use. I'm not sure whether or not this is permanent but they built a concierge hut by the 7b pool whilst we were there which suggests it may be? We could hear the music on a night from café kafe but it was quite nice to listen to whilst getting ready. We were never back in room before it finished later on so cannot comment on noise levels then save to say we were never disturbed.

There has been much description of the rooms so I will not go into detail other than to say they are THE nicest rooms we have stayed in. The layout, size, day bed on balcony and round Jacuzzi tub were all fantastic. In room spirits, coffee etc and mini bar along with 24 hr room service. All you could ask for.
We spent our first day on the beach as it was a bit breezier there. There was not much sea grass whilst we were there apart from 1 or 2 days when it was very windy. The sea was a beautiful range of clours and the sand so soft. The next few days we were by the 7b pool and were virtually the only ones there. We then moved to the 9a pool which was closer to more of the 'action' yet still quiet enough to relax. The only signs we saw restricting use of any pools to EC only was by the 8b pool. We did not venture to the pool by #9 as it was round the back by the construction and that was where most of the noise could be heard. We really couldn't hear much elsewhere in the resort although we did occasionally hear the pile driving but it only seemed to last about 5-10 mins at a time.

In 14 days we only had 1/2 day of rain. The rest of the time it was so hot I actually burnt my feet. We went through 8 bottles of sun tan lotion. The sun is so intense I suggest you take plenty of lotion and high SPF. I tan very easily but still had to resort to 30 spf!

We ate at all the restaurants. We liked them all so it is difficult to rank them. Favourite was Chez Isabelle, but we loved Spice, Basmati, Flavour Market, Lobster..... all of them! House wine tended to be Chilean. We had Antares most nights and found it very palatable. We tended to eat around 8pm and walked straight in most nights. A couple of times they gave us a buzzer but it was nowhere near as long as they suggested. We made good friends with 2 other couples and also ate as a 6 and 4 on several nights. Again, this was never a problem.

We attended the manager's cocktail party which was really just a chance to chat to those in charge around the pool area. We met the no2, Eric Cervantes who was very friendly and genuinely interested in our thoughts. After saying how much we were enjoying our trip, I happened to mention in passing, that I was disappointed they did not serve shrimp in Basmati. He immediately arranged for us to eat there at a day and time of our choice with our friends. We did not need a reservation. On arrival, they were expecting us. They had decorated a table with candles and roses and prepared a special menu including the elusive shrimp! It was absolutely gorgeous! The waiter even remembered our drinks order from the previous night. The whole experience left us feeling very special and showed the lengths they will go to to keep their customers happy.
In addition, we had also mentioned to Eric that my partner had been suffering from a bad back since we arrived. He thought he had trapped a nerve. Immediately he arranged for Nallely, the spa manage,r to come and see us. She arranged for him to have a spa treatment and massage to see if they could ease this. All at no cost to us! (I was quite jealous!) We cannot express how impressed we were with everyone. I don't think we came across any staff member who was rude to us.

On our last night we again ate with our friends and dined again in Chez Isabelle. Again we were presented with a lovely table decorated with petals. It's normally us looking longingly at someone else on the end of this sort of service! The service was outstanding, not only from our waiter Raul, but also the manager, Pedro. The food was to die for and the chef, Nestor, actually came out to see us and brought a specially made dessert. He is obviously very proud of his work.

We didn't do much while we were there as our idea of a holiday is to just chill for 2 weeks but we were persuaded to take out a hobie cat (catamaran) with our friends. This is free from 'aquaworld' right next to the x lounge on the beach. Unfortunately we did this on a very windy day and I think I swallowed half the ocean! There were 4 of us on one and 2 on another. I was very concerned we would capsize, being a wimp when it comes to the sea, but I was reassured that could not happen! Well it didn't happen to us, but unfortunately it did to our friends!! I think probably because they were only 2 and sat on the same side? The boys from the aqua club were really good and arrived in minutes on jet skis to rescue them. Lesson is, don't pick a windy day and don't sit on the same side!

All in all we had an absolutely fantastic holiday and EPM exceeded all expectations! We met some great people and have made some new good friends. Hi to Andree, Brian, Amy and Mark!and also to Todd (drinks list!) and Carla.
We will be back!

Room Tip: 7a was great block. Above 2nd floor you should have a sea view. Corner rooms ended in '58'
15  Thank Jane B

It is our pleasure to know that Excellence Playa Mujeres have met your expectations, making you feel relaxed and pampered all the time. Our commitment is to make of every guest experience, as exceptional and unique as it can be.

Thank you for letting us know how memorable and special was your stay, due to our resort facilities and atmosphere, the food & drinks quality encountered , and the outstanding service provided by our staff members, who always attended to your needs.

We will be looking forward to your next visit at any Excellence Resort.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Mujeres
Le Blanc Spa Resort
Le Blanc Spa Resort
#1 of 176 in Cancun
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!