This was my third visit to Excellence Playa Mujeres. Each time, I have had an amazing experience! This was NOT one of those times! To begin, our greeting and check-in process was wonderful. We had no problem and were escorted immediately to our room. After that, everything went downhill. The pool service was subpar and the bar tenders and pool attendants would disappear for extended amounts of time throughout the day, leaving long lines of people gathered by the pool bars. While breaks are fine, the resort needs to manage this better and ensure there is someone to cover the bar area when one attendant leaves. Furthermore, the premium liquor once offered here has been downgraded. In the past, my husband was able to get chilled Don Julio and we were told on numerous occasions that is was no longer an option at this resort. Not a major issue, but definitely noteworthy when looking to book an all-inclusive. The staff seemed almost demanding of tips and gratuity. The staff, overall, didn't seem as helpful and hospitable. They seemed put out at simple requests. For example, I called concierge to get more towels. After an hour of waiting, I roamed the halls to find towels on my own so that I could shower. Our room service took well over an hour each time we ordered anything and on several occasions, our order was wrong. We didn't want to wait another hour or more to replace the wrong food though!
The construction going on somewhere near the resort was a HUGE issue! I did actually complain about this on our 2nd night, when were awoken at 2 am with loud, consistent clanking sounds. We were told they could change our room. At 2 am, that didn't really seem feasible. I was greeted by a manager the next day and offered a free hydrospa apt based on my complaint. I accepted it and was told that there would not be anymore construction... it continued. All through the night and day. While I understand the need, I do not understand how the resort would expect this to be acceptable throughout the night while guests are trying to sleep and relax! That was extremely disappointing.
Finally, the check out process was probably the most disappointing part... The bellhop was almost an hour late bringing our bags down during check out. We were sitting on our shuttle, waiting for him, even though we set the time the previous evening. When he saw us already on the shuttle (and after we had asked the concierge numerous times about the bags), the bellhop walked to our shuttle door, and in front of other guests, angrily yelled for us to get off and watch him put the bags in the car. I assume he thought he wasn't going to get a tip; however, tips should NEVER be guaranteed. We had planned on tipping him, but had not even gotten a chance before he started yelling at us in front of other guests. Furthermore, when my husband got off the shuttle to "watch our bags" being put in the shuttle, the bellhop refused and my husband had to load everything in there himself. Again, while other guests watched, as if we did something wrong. The bellhop continued to point and complain about us to other staff members. This was extremely embarrassing and should have NEVER happened, especially after he had already made our shuttle late, despite us making arrangements to get our bags well in advance with plenty of time to spare.
Again, this was my 3rd time here and the first trip I have been disappointed. We were there for a wedding, which took place there by MY recommendation to the bride! Since our first trip in 2008, we have now recommended and sent over 40 couples (including the most recent wedding party) to the Excellence Playa Mujeres. Another group of friends are trying to book another upcoming trip and I will strongly discourage them from doing so.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury adults-only resort nestled among seven swimming pools on a powdery white sand beach, in a community that boasts a spectacular Greg Norman signature golf course. This jewel of Cancun sets a new standard of luxury for all-inclusives with finely tuned amenities such as one-of-a-kind accommodations including two-story rooftop terrace suites with a private Plunge pool, meticulous service, gourmet cuisine, an exquisite spa and the signature Excellence Club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Holiday Gems, Savannahville Tours N.V., Expedia, TravelUp, LoveHolidays, Prestigia, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, Ebookers and Cancelon so you can book your Excellence Playa Mujeres reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Excellence Playa Mujeres Hotel Playa Mujeres
- Excellence Hotel Playa Mujeres
- Playa Mujeres Excellence Hotel
- Excellence Playa Mujeres Cancun