“Best of the best”

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Hubby and I made our first trip to EPM March 9 - 15th. We had honeymooned at SMB 3 years ago and have never found another AI quite as nice as that one. Until now! Now we understand what all the hype is about. We have a general rule that we never visit the same place twice but we have both agreed to break that rule with EPM and already can't wait to come back.

Ok now on to the review. We arrived around 12:30 in the afternoon and our room was not ready so we had lunch at the Lobster House. Hubby raved that the tacos were some fo the best he's ever had and if that was any indication of how the rest of the food was going to be, we were in for a treat. I did however notice that the wait staff was quite slow, but I didnt think too much about it since our room wasnt ready anyways. By the time we finished lunch, our pager had gone off and it was time to see our room.

I had emailed Vilma in advance and asked for bldg 7B and she pulled thru for us! However, our room ended up being directly across the hall from an ice machine which was quite loud. We never complained about it all week, but looking back, we should have. People were constantly coming to get ice and we could hear it in our room. 2 nights in a row the ice machine had some alarm that would go off in the middle of the night. Again, not a HUGE issue, but in the future we would ask to be moved.

The room itself was awesome. Very modern decor, nice sized balcony with an awesome sun bed, view of the 7B pool, and we both fell in love with the shower head - it felt like a rain shower :) There are full bottles of liquor in the room which we took advantage of. We also notified our mini bar attendant of the items that we prefer and every single day he would make sure that we had those specific beers and wines and a plate of sliced limes.

The layout of the resort is awesome. Its so much bigger than I thought in my mind, but its not so big that you feel like you can't see it all. The nice thing is that there is literally a place for everyone's taste - if you like to people watch and be in the middle of the action, hang out poolside. If you prefer the quiet to read a book and take a nap, there are MANY nooks and cranny's all around for you to lounge.

We thought the food was all really good. We do not typically like buffets but even the breakfast and lunch buffet had something for everyone. The best desserts were offered at the Lobster House and you could get really good ones for lunch or dessert. Our favorite dinner was at Chez Isabelle. But again, we thought the service at all of the restaurants was very slow, particularly at Chez. Nothing that would ever keep us from coming back, but we noticed it was quite slow.

We decided to get room service breakfast for all except for 2 days during our trip and this seemed to work out best for us. First of all, we called room service and scheduled coffee to be delivered every day at 7:15am. This way we could enjoy a cup of coffee on the balcony when we woke up. The days we had breakfast delivered, we called it in the night before and had it delivered at 8am and they were right on time and the food was nice and hot. Can't get much better than that :)

The entertainment at this resort was not up to par with some other places we have been. The only show that we thought was memorable was the Michael Jackson show. But that didnt bother us, b/c we would just head back to the Martini Bar and socialize with other guests.

Overall I cannot say enough great things about this resort. In fact, I must have bragged about it enough to convince my best friend b/c her and her hubby are going here to celebrate their 10 year anniversary in August!

Some suggestions I have if you are planning to go - get a mattress topper, make sure to tell your mini bar attendant what drinks you prefer, go see Caesar at the Martini Bar, take the bike tour at the resort, visit the Lobster House for breakfast at least once, and try room service.

Needless to say, we WILL be back!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank GoBucks03
There are newer reviews for Excellence Playa Mujeres

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I will preface this by saying that this is my second review of EMP. In May of 2012, we went there for our honeymoon and loved it. We decided to revisit this resort for our 2nd anniversary. We never thought it could have gotten better, but it has! We will explain the great, the good, and the just ok parts of our trip without trying to just say the same things you hear in every review.

First off, on our first trip, we did not opt for the Excellence Club and had a fantastic time. This time we did splurge for it, and in our opinions, it is beyond worth the extra money if you can afford it. I will explain why further down...

Our trip started with the private transfer set up by the resort through Season Tours. This was exceptional and well worth the money after being on a plane for over 4 hours. The drivers were extremely personable and kind, and conversed with us without being intrusive in any way.

We arrived early, around noon, and were taken to the Excellence Club to check in. We were asked a few questions, offered some champagne, and were told we had a great room, but it would not be ready until about 3:00pm. So we got a buzzer and went to lunch at the buffet. We stopped at the martini bar, and then went back to the Club closer to 3. Our room was ready, and our bags were taken to the room. We got the rooftop terrace room, as we loved it the first time. This time, we were given room 8454. I am saying this with quite a bit of certainty, that it is probably the best room on the entire resort. We had an amazing view of both the ocean, the pools, and the restaurants. We were on the highest level possible, and also on a corner with views in both directions. If you are looking for the perfect room, please request this room, as you will definitely not be disappointed.

I would love to write about everything, but honestly, you have already read it all a million times on here, so I will just point out the things we noticed and think are notable.

One...Get the Excellence Club! There are so many perks...from getting better seating at each and every restaurant, to the club itself, to the private beach with less people and better service, to the exceptional customer service. Its all worth it! We were always placed in the best location at the restaurants. The club offers fun food to pick at or stop for a drink. The private beach is wonderful. They offer you all kinds of things when you arrive, make up your beds or chairs for you, and even bring around little goodies to snack on. It is the same way at the Excellence Club pools. And there was never a time that we asked for something and someone didnt go out of their way to make it happen for us. We mentioned that our pool on the RTT was cold, they heated it every afternoon for us after that. They would find us on the beach to ask where we wanted to go to dinner. Calling us several times to make sure we received the bottled water we requested. It is plain and simple worth the extra money.

We tried the majority of the restaurants and cant say enough about the majority of them. Spice is great and has a very fun atmosphere. Toscana made a table for us on our anniversary with rose petals and wine. The food there was fabulous. We also went to Basmati even though we never had Indian food before. Piece of advice, allow the waiter to bring out the food for you. Ours did, and we loved it. The food he brought out to us was amazing and we have a new found love for Indian food. The buffet for both breakfast and lunch is perfect with more options than you can ever imagine. And the Lobster House and Grill are fun for lunch just for the outdoor environment.

Next, the Spa is definitely one of the better ones I have been to. We went twice. One was included with the anniversary package, and one we purchased on our own. The free Couples Massage was very nice, but if you are looking for a really great massage, get the Brisa Massage. It is 100 minutes and extremely relaxing. It is $500 but we got a coupon for $200 off so we took advantage. Also, make sure you arrive an hour early so you can experience the Aqua Wellness. It is free with every massage and it is so much fun. You get to move through stations and it takes about an hour. You will probably laugh the whole time like we did. Some of it feels like torture, but only in a fun way!

That is it for the outstanding part... The good but not great? The maid service seemed to fall off as the days went on. At first it seemed our room was cleaned 3 times a day. At the end we had to call twice just to get it serviced. Annoying but not a killer. Also, the bathrooms really are pretty awful for privacy. But you already knew that after reading the reviews, so expect it! And to be perfectly honest, the room service food isnt very good at all. We didnt really have anything off the menu that we thought was very good. And the only downside with the Excellence Club is that it states you get expedited room service. Dont believe that, it is not true. Everything always took close to an hour.

And now the bad, which we feel bad complaining in any way, but most people want to know the negatives so we will list ours. The construction is awful. I feel reallty bad for the people in Building 9. At the most random times, pile driving sounds will start screaming through the resort. And I am talking at like 11pm. Also, the Lobster House for dinner was horrendous. We were literally in and out of the place in 25 minutes and had a 3 course meal. The waiter just threw food on our table, waited for us to be done and swooped in to take it away to bring the next course. And the lobster was disgusting. And the only other negative we can report was that we requested to have our bags picked up at 8:15 in the morning for check out. At 8:30 we called again and then at 8:40 we just took our own and were forced to check out in the main lobby rather than the Excellence Club. But it was jus tmore of a nuissance than a complaint.

We feel this resort is the best out there. If you can find better, please let us know so we can try it. There were so many amazing people there, and we wish we were good with names, but we arent so we dont want to mention just one when there were like 20 that stood out.

If you have any questions for us at all, please just shoot us a message and we will tell you the truth. If you are planning a vacation here, just relax, the place is like heaven on Earth. Have a great time!

Room Tip: Room 8454 is the greatest room. And do the Excellence Club if you have the means.
8  Thank RandyR885
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at Excellence Playa Mujeres with all Trip Advisor Readers.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. We also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

This hotel has beautiful rooms and just the right amount of privacy and fun you'd want. The drinks are amazing and so is the beach! The only complaint I had is that people would put a book or magazine or whatever on chairs to save them and never sit on them! Honestly if you just let people sit there and then when they get up, others could sit there wouldn't be people looking for chairs all the time. It was ridiculous. The food was so so, but that's what I've come to expect at all inclusives. The night life left much to be desired as well. The one "club" that they have is very small and plays horrible music. Also, the beds are hard as a rock. My back was hurting by the time we got home. Over all we had a great time though and it was very relaxing. The service was impeccable!

Room Tip: We were in building 2 and I thought it was just right. We had privacy over there because it wasn'...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lovesthebeach80
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Before I begin, I must tell you I have a very objective opinion about all adult all inclusives in Cancun because I've stayed at most, including: Le Blanc (3 times), Secrets Maroma, EDR, EDR Casitas, The Royal, Excellence Riviera and El Valentin, Beach Palace and Dreams to name a few.

I would rate the Excellence as a "good" All Inclusive, but not amongst the top tier. Message me if you want to know my opinion of the best.

I will start with the Cons since that seems to be more important to most.
1. Construction Noise: We had a roof top terrace in Room 7 and the banging could be heard inside the room, enough to keep us up. It often started at midnight and ended at 3 a.m. Being on the roof top terrace, it was a severe nuissance. Our best friends had the same issue in Building #2 2. Food: The food was mediocre; we did enjoy the Indian Food and Hibachi Grill at the Asian Restaurant. However, we didn't have "any" good deserts. We felt the best desert was the ice cream machine they had near the outside lobby bar *Also, the room service we ordered was pretty much unedible.. 3 The lady working the gift shop gave me the "who farted?" face and rolled her eyes when I paid with a 20 for a small item. (That was a first ever in Cancun, anywhere)
THE GOOD: 1. The grounds were absolutely beautiful. 2. The rooms were top shelf. 3. The maid service was as good as it gets 4. The service was great 5. The beach was good: There was seaweed, but the cleaned it every day (they can't control nature). 6. The drinks were awesome as well; the liquor was a little watered down at the pool bar, but it's like that at most all inclusive resorts. If not, the yahoo's at the main pool would be a liability. 7. There were plenty of activities and beach chairs for everyone. They are one of the few resorts who control the people who drop towels at 6 a.m. and show up after lunch. (I tip my hat)

*On a side note, beware of DreamDays shuttle service; they were a nightmare. See my review for details.

*I'd come back for the right price.

Message me if you have any question.

Kerry

Room Tip: DO NOT CHOOSE BUILDING 9. They are closest to the cranes pounding the piers all night long.
8  Thank KD070770
Reviewed 11 May 2014

From the moment you arrive at EPM you know this is going to be a holiday like no other.

The wonderful welcome involves a cool flannel & a chilled glass of 'Mimosa' (champagne & orange juice) just what you need after a long journey! Everything about EPM is luxurious, sumptuous & pure perfection.

The Beautiful Suites - ours was in Block 8b with an ocean view, we were delighted on arrival to discover that we had been upgraded to the Excellence Club. Extra little touches that included premium spirits in the drinks cabinet, a tropical flower display, petit fours each evening, a daily news paper, access to the club lounge & delicious nibbles served whilst sunbathing round the excellence pool.

The Fabulous Grounds - which are so well maintained & manicured to perfection!

The Wonderful Restaurants - all of which serve amazing food, our favourite is Chez Isabelle, we ate there on our last night & were treated like royalty! We were shown to a private little room off the main restaurant & our table had a fabulous candelabra on it & was festooned with rose petals & candles. On the floor was a large heart made from rose petals - it was SO romantic.

EMP can be whatever you want it to be, loud & lively at the swim up bar or quiet & serene by the lazy river. Down on the beach is a wide choice of comfortable sun loungers, palapas & double beds, at midday you can find live entertainment & a buffet style lunch. Our favourite is on a Sunday with the live rock band & a BBQ.

The Miile Spa is a must, we enjoyed the Excellence Couples Massage, 80 minutes of sheer bliss.

Although EPM is aesthetically one of the most beautiful resorts in the world, what contributes to its 5* rating is its impeccable employees. They are the heart & soul of EPM. Each & everyone of them has an important role to play & they do so always with a smile & a genuine enthusiasm. Nothing was ever too much trouble & we found every employee to be very professional. Virginia, the General Manager & Eric the Assistant Manager should be applauded on the fabulous ethos that they have created within their staff members. They are ALL wonderful, however, we would like to say a very special 'Thank You' to David at the Excellence Cielo Bar, Alexandra Bars Manager, Antonio from Excellence Concierge & Christian from Chez Isabelle, each of them went that little bit further.

This was our second visit to ' Paradise' and it definitely won't be our last!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank JulieMikeIOM
Reviewed 11 May 2014

16 of us stayed here in early May 2014. Absolutely excellent. Many pools, hot tubs throughout the facility where waitresses serve you through the day. Restaurants were all nice. The Lobster Grill was our favorite, because it was the only one where you can where shorts. So....don't forget a pair of long pants for the guys if you want to try any of the other restaurants. If you do though (like I did) the concierge will loan you a pair.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Junior Suite. Great value for a $50/night upgrade. Ground floor. Walk out to the...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Tom M
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We came for a wedding May 3-9, 2014. It was one of the best experiences either of us have had with a resort in Mexico! It may have been a little bit more expensive than some other resorts; however it was totally worth it. The service was unreal... I have never seen so many people with smiles on their faces! The staff is always friendly, everything is always spotlessly clean, the entertainment is so much fun and every question is answered with a smile! We loved the lazy river, and chatting with the friendly staff. We even utilized the jogging path which paralleled the golf course and was very beautiful! The rooms were beautiful and cleaned with great care, as well as a turned down for us at night. One of the guests staying with our party slept on the bed outside on the patio, which goes to say how comfortable those beds were! We had a fabulous time and will certainly be back and bringing our families with us. Not one negative thing to say. Great job Excellence!

5  Thank Drew S
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#7 of 176 in Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!