Hubby and I made our first trip to EPM March 9 - 15th. We had honeymooned at SMB 3 years ago and have never found another AI quite as nice as that one. Until now! Now we understand what all the hype is about. We have a general rule that we never visit the same place twice but we have both agreed to break that rule with EPM and already can't wait to come back.
Ok now on to the review. We arrived around 12:30 in the afternoon and our room was not ready so we had lunch at the Lobster House. Hubby raved that the tacos were some fo the best he's ever had and if that was any indication of how the rest of the food was going to be, we were in for a treat. I did however notice that the wait staff was quite slow, but I didnt think too much about it since our room wasnt ready anyways. By the time we finished lunch, our pager had gone off and it was time to see our room.
I had emailed Vilma in advance and asked for bldg 7B and she pulled thru for us! However, our room ended up being directly across the hall from an ice machine which was quite loud. We never complained about it all week, but looking back, we should have. People were constantly coming to get ice and we could hear it in our room. 2 nights in a row the ice machine had some alarm that would go off in the middle of the night. Again, not a HUGE issue, but in the future we would ask to be moved.
The room itself was awesome. Very modern decor, nice sized balcony with an awesome sun bed, view of the 7B pool, and we both fell in love with the shower head - it felt like a rain shower :) There are full bottles of liquor in the room which we took advantage of. We also notified our mini bar attendant of the items that we prefer and every single day he would make sure that we had those specific beers and wines and a plate of sliced limes.
The layout of the resort is awesome. Its so much bigger than I thought in my mind, but its not so big that you feel like you can't see it all. The nice thing is that there is literally a place for everyone's taste - if you like to people watch and be in the middle of the action, hang out poolside. If you prefer the quiet to read a book and take a nap, there are MANY nooks and cranny's all around for you to lounge.
We thought the food was all really good. We do not typically like buffets but even the breakfast and lunch buffet had something for everyone. The best desserts were offered at the Lobster House and you could get really good ones for lunch or dessert. Our favorite dinner was at Chez Isabelle. But again, we thought the service at all of the restaurants was very slow, particularly at Chez. Nothing that would ever keep us from coming back, but we noticed it was quite slow.
We decided to get room service breakfast for all except for 2 days during our trip and this seemed to work out best for us. First of all, we called room service and scheduled coffee to be delivered every day at 7:15am. This way we could enjoy a cup of coffee on the balcony when we woke up. The days we had breakfast delivered, we called it in the night before and had it delivered at 8am and they were right on time and the food was nice and hot. Can't get much better than that :)
The entertainment at this resort was not up to par with some other places we have been. The only show that we thought was memorable was the Michael Jackson show. But that didnt bother us, b/c we would just head back to the Martini Bar and socialize with other guests.
Overall I cannot say enough great things about this resort. In fact, I must have bragged about it enough to convince my best friend b/c her and her hubby are going here to celebrate their 10 year anniversary in August!
Some suggestions I have if you are planning to go - get a mattress topper, make sure to tell your mini bar attendant what drinks you prefer, go see Caesar at the Martini Bar, take the bike tour at the resort, visit the Lobster House for breakfast at least once, and try room service.
Needless to say, we WILL be back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury adults-only resort nestled among seven swimming pools on a powdery white sand beach, in a community that boasts a spectacular Greg Norman signature golf course. This jewel of Cancun sets a new standard of luxury for all-inclusives with finely tuned amenities such as one-of-a-kind accommodations including two-story rooftop terrace suites with a private Plunge pool, meticulous service, gourmet cuisine, an exquisite spa and the signature Excellence Club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Savannahville Tours N.V., Expedia, Holiday Gems, TravelUp, Prestigia, Travel Republic (UK), LoveHolidays, Agoda, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Excellence Playa Mujeres reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Excellence Playa Mujeres Hotel Playa Mujeres
- Excellence Hotel Playa Mujeres
- Playa Mujeres Excellence Hotel
- Excellence Playa Mujeres Cancun