“Return trip to EMP, first since Dec 2009” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Excellence Playa Mujeres

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Long Island, New York
“Return trip to EMP, first since Dec 2009”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

My wife and I recently spent a long weekend at EMP over the Cinco De Mayo weekend. We were given 2 rainy days and two sunny days. We were married here in 2009 and were blown away by this resort. This was our first trip back since then.
While we were there, we enjoyed the food again which has retained its quality and the service also remained excellent.
Our room was found to be very clean and in great shape considering the resort is about 6 years old now. We had no issues with the room whatsoever.

We found that the resort added an Indian Cuisine restaurant which we enjoyed very much. We also ate at the Mexican, French and Spice while there. All were great, food quality was excellent and the service was wonderful.

Nightly entertainment was an improvement over our last trip here. The live music was greatly improved.

Our disappointment came with the bars. When we chose this resort for our desitination wedding, one of the top priorities was access to top shelf liquor. In 2009, most everything our 45 guests wanted was on call at all of the bars. This trip was different. We found that no two bars were stocked in the same manner and more than a few top shelf call liquors were no longer offered especially with vodka selections. We found this odd because the main lobby features a martini bar...

What liquor was there was decent but definitely cut back from our first trip here. I'd like to see this addressed as it will definitely be part of my desicion process regarding a return trip. Otherwise Excellence retains every right to bearing this bold resort name.

Room Tip: Book early and try to get a swim up suite if available near the main lobby.
9 Thank nycstripes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,993)
  • Korean first
Arvada, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We just celebrated our 20th Anniversary May 6-11 with our first trip to Mexico and experienced 5 days of Pure Paradise at EPM. The grounds are beautiful, the staff & service they provide was over the top and our meals were delicious! The variety of pools - even one on our deck- kept us constantly enjoying ourselves throughout the resort. The entertainment and evening shows were great. We were truly treated like royalty and can't imagine this trip ever being surpassed. Raul kept our drinks filled even out on the beach!! We used USA Transports for transportation to & from the airport and that was so convenient with excellent service. EPM is Absolutely 5-Star Fabulous!!

Room Tip: We overlooked both the lazy river and the jungle in Building 3. It was very central & quiet.
7 Thank Party_of_Five_CO
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

First of all, I apologize for the delay in writing this review. We visiting Excellence Playa Mujeres back in early December 2013. Wanted to avoid the rainy season (May-November), which was a good idea, because we had sunny skies every day. I have been to other all-inclusive resorts before, and my main request is adults only. The last thing I want when I have spent a lot of money to relax is to have screaming kids running around me. My last couple of trips were relaxing and fun, but I had no idea the luxury that this resort offers!

We did upgrade to the "Excellence Club" because the private club area, private check in and upgraded rooms and liquor choices was definitely things we were looking for. Not everyone needs these things, and if you don't, the regular rooms are just as spectacular. However, the location of the rooms that are not EC are a little of a walk away from the lobby and main restaurants, but tend to be a little more private, if that is what you are looking for.

We met a lot of very fun people there, most of which have been coming back each year to this resort because they like it so much. The service is unbelievable. Its a nice touch when you check in, are handed a cool towel and glass of champagne and they say to you, "Welcome Home". Nice touch. With being in Excellence Club, we were whisked away to the private club lounge for personal check in. If there is a wait, there is a bar and food, couches and chairs and TV to keep you occupied. But, we didn't have a wait. They also give you a daily activities sheet that lets you know what restaurants might be closed that day, and what the daily and evening activities might be.

Upon entering our room, we had champagne and petit fours waiting for us and fresh flowers. The bathroom includes two sinks, a shower that fits about 5 people, and a separate toilet. Everything is open or glass, so you better stay with your loved one. Some reviews had mentioned that the bed was kinda hard, so I was prepared for this and immediately asked for a mattress topper and a few extra hangers upon check in (I tend to overpack). These items were provided in about 5 minutes. We had our own jacuzzi in our room and a patio that faced the lazy river.

The selection of liquor in our room was top notch. It included vodka, rum, gin and tequila along with white and red wine, beer, soda, juices and bottled water. There were also snacks. All of this is included. One day, we had friends over to our room and played some backgammon and poker pool side (we traveled with 2 other couples) and so we ran out of beer. Called room service and they brought as much as we wanted.

Being December, it was a little chilly in the mornings (75 degrees F), so we sat in one of the heated pools in our club area in the mornings. There is a bar at this pool and they brought us drinks all morning. In the afternoons, when it warmed up (84 degrees F), we spent most of our time meeting new people and partying in the Swim up bar. Try an "iceberg" while you are there! It's half beer (Corona) and half frozen margarita. Very refreshing and it stays cold longer!

We tried most of the restaurants and Chez Isabelle is by far the best. The wood burning pizza oven pool side is most excellent also. The breakfast buffet offered hundreds of choices, including made to order omelets and make your own mimosas or screwdrivers. There is also an excellent juice bar by the spa that has some good hang-over remedies. Don't miss it. Don't forget to bring slacks for dinner. They don't want people going to dinner in swimsuits and cover-ups. I kinda liked getting a little dressed up for dinner, it made it more special.

With the Club, we also get a free Aqua Wellness Spa Treatment. I'm not that into massages because I am not a big fan of being rubbed down by strangers, but that's just me. Well, this massage is all water-related and its awesome. That was just what the doctor ordered halfway through our stay (we were there 5 days). I felt like a new person afterwards.

The service is top notch. The cleanliness is awesome. The rooms are beautiful. The liquor selection is very good (try the good rum - it was awesome). Although I wish I had more choices in mixers - but I'm nitpicking here. The location is a little off the beaten path, its a good 30-40 minutes from the airport, but the extra security and seclusion of it made it even more special.

We have already booked to return to EPM this December 2014. It's only May and I cannot wait!
LoriinStl

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LoriinStl
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

It's OK.

POSITIVES:
The resort itself is beautiful, new feeling, etc

JUST OK:
Most of the food was NOT OK. some was OK. My husband and I live in Los Angeles and we have the pleasure of going to a lot of the top restaurants and eating awesome food all the time, this was just average. The sushi you can tell was frozen, not fresh, the tapas place is not tapas unless you consider some chopped up veggies and cheese on a stale piece of french bread tapas . . .

NEGATIVE:
The resort always had a weird smell lingering around. . . always. Like a fertilizer sewage smell. . . The beaches outside the hotel and always washed up with seaweed so it's not very visually appealing, but we still managed to enjoy it. Also the resort is about 25-30 minutes away from the rest of cancun. . . so if you want to be by the action or have some action, this is not the place for you. If you want to be secluded and don't care about doing anything or going anywhere, this is for you. My husband and I found ourselves BORED out of our minds and it was quite a shlep to go anywhere else. We did manage to book a zip line jungle hike (that was 2 hours there and 2 hours back) because we were so bored we needed to get out and do something.

Room Tip: bottom floor rooms are more convenient and rooms closer to the spa are more central.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank travelgalann
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you very much for taking your time to share with all of us this review, your feedback is very important for us and it is our regret that we were not able to exceed your expectations, although many travelers find Excellence Playa Mujeres to be a great place for romantic and relaxing getaway, with excellent food options and outstanding service.

We will forward your comments and suggestions to the above mentioned departments as your feedback is very important to us since it helps us improve on a daily basis.

Please receive our warmest greetings from Cancun.
Evansville, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I want to be up front first. I have only been to only one other all inclusive and that was The Royal in Playa Del Carmen so I can only compare to them. With that said the Excellence Playa Mujeres resort was the most amazing place I've ever laid my eyes on. As soon as you arrive and enter through the doors you can instantly tell that they spent a lot of time on all the details most people wouldn't even notice. It seemed like no matter how many times I walked around I wouldn't get sick of the well designed Architecture of all the buildings. Along with the buildings the grounds felt like you were at a nature reserve and all of the paths and landscaping were so well placed that it gave the place a much more secluded feel. It felt as though you didn't ever know what was around the bend. I can't say enough good things about the grounds, and till this day I think about how amazing it all was.

Onto the rooms:
They were wonderfully stocked with everything you would ever want/need. The only thing is if you or your other your sharing the room has any fright of using a bathroom in public it may not be for you. The toilet door is right off the bedroom basically and is nothing but frosted glass. Also the fridge beer and drinks never really did get cold due to the fridge itself being in a cubbyhole not being able to breath. Those are the only two things I can come up with for the room itself.

Service:
Now this is the place where I guess I end up knocking the Excellence. We went in October of 2013 and it may have been at capacity so that could be the reason to what we experienced but since I have only been to The Royal I compare it to that place. It wasn't just me either our whole group just felt like the people at The Royal gave you that little extra personal attention that made you feel special at dinner and around the resort. Now while its not necessary it sure did make the trip. I don't want to come off as being picky, I just didn't feel like they went the extra mile to do anything extra and out of the ordinary for us. For instance no one wanted to do the Mayan Coffee for me, I just kept getting what seemed like excuses. All and all I don't want to sound like I'm complaining because it was some of the best food and drinks I have ever had in my life without a doubt and all of the people were super nice.

With that said I just wanted to give my experience on here and hope people give the place a try, it is well worth it. I myself will probably try the Excellence Riviera Maya next time to be a little closer to Playa Del Carmen.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank scottbeckerle
Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Very nice rooms, beautiful grounds and a very friendly staff. Each of the restaurant were also very good and did not require reservations. Breakfast buffet was outstanding in both food quality and choices.

3 Thank Okla-Retired
canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is a five star hotel that lives up to its name. With nine restaurants catering to every taste, numerous swimming pools, bars, activities and a great staff of people, it is surely a great resort to visit. We were there for seven days to attend a wedding. The venue for the wedding itself was picture perfect against a backdrop of the ocean and swaying palms. The overall impressions are that the resort is well maintained with resort staff constantly cleaning and upgrading. The food in the restaurants was excellent as were the exotic drinks such as the Mango Marguerites. The theatre had different shows each night and were well planned and orchestrated. The Café Kafe beside the theatre regularly had entertainment which was as good as to be found anywhere else. All in all, you will not be disappointed with this resort.

3 Thank Noel M
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#3 of 181 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,071 reviews
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!