“Definitely upgrade yourself!”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Austin, Texas
“Definitely upgrade yourself!”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We visited Playa Mujeres as our mini-moon spot in late April and stayed at the Excellence and it was so worth it. I call it a mini-moon because we were only there for 3 days, sadly we had to return to work.

PROS:
• Service from the very beginning was spectacular, we felt so special and important. It was my first time doing all-inclusive and it is totally worth it. Everyone should do it! :) We stayed in Building 8 and it was a swim-up honeymoon suite.
• We checked in in the VIP lounge where they have their own small apps/desserts and bar. Then they took us to our room and it was beautiful!
• I think one of my favorite parts about the room was the "X-Box" where you place your dirty dishes in the box and they can access it from the outside and pick it up for you, that way your leftover dishes aren't just stinking up your room.
• The hotel is very much built for couples and romance. It is a very honeymoon-y, love making, rejuvenating place! I don't know if I would go here with someone else who wasn't my significant other. Unless they have less-revealing showers and rooms. The shower is completely see through and there is a window in there that looks out into the bedroom/living area. Very lovey-dovey place and a perfect fit for us.
• The hotel is completely secluded. You drive in through a HUGE main gate, it looks like you're entering an African Safari! You pass up a lot of guards on the way in, which to me indicates safety, and it's a quite a drive to reach the hotel. There are 1-2 other hotels that share that area with Excellence too.
• Take advantage of the hotel spa! We got a couples massage and it was awesome!
• Rooms are super clean and they clean it twice a day! There is an evening turned down service where they remake your already made bed for night time! So nice! There's also a pillow menu where you can order your own fancy pillow.
• All rooms have alcohol, beer, drinks, coffee and snacks stocked up!

CONS:
• This has nothing to do with the hotel, which is why I still rated it 5 stars. But arriving in Cancun airport and meeting up with our private shuttle driver was a mess. He wasn't there, we didn't speak Spanish, and there is just a swarm of taxi/shuttle drivers all waiting outside the Cancun Airport exit for patrons. It's chaotic, so please be careful! We finally got it worked out and were able to get to/from the hotel safely.
• The food is okay. We ordered room service and also dined at some restaurants. I guess the humidity is just so high that even our chips were soggy. I didn't enjoy the food as much as I had hoped. We dined at Chez Isabelle one night and that was pretty good. We definitely still ate a bunch, because who wouldn't at an all-inclusive :) but I had higher hopes for the flavors.
• The restaurants are opened at weird hours and you have to check their daily schedule. We got out of our spa treatment at 3pm and everything was already closed and we were starving. So be aware of the timing your activities and restaurant times.

Overall a wonderful place! It may be our annual anniversary spot :)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jenyao

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,040)
  • Korean first
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Excellence is building a second facility with building activity 24/7! Excellence has made the business decision to not inform their guests and basically hold you hostage to the noise from the all night construction. We stayed May 8-12 and were approached by guests sooo unhappy they were publicly telling arriving guests to leave. Building 9 has the most noise but one can hear construction anywhere in the resort.

Most of the staff were very nice but we could tell upper management had created a no win situation for them and were stressed from the constant complaints. Staffing was far below what was required to meet the occupancy rate.

One morning while walking on the beach we discovered a used syringe above the groom line which indicates grounds keepers prepped the sand but paid no attention to trash. Room service is an hour minimum and many of the restaurants were closed one or more nights during our stay from lack of staffing. The entire resort ran out of Captain Morgan Rum which they considered their premium liquor.

Inspect your bill closely as we observed many heated exchanges regarding inflated Spa bills and other resort purchases. It cost me more than 4 hours of time dealing with being lied to, switching rooms and being lied to more to make it through being held hostage at this resort. If you arrive at the front desk they have you and there is nothing you can do about it!!! DO NOT STAY AT THIS RESORT

Room Tip: Do not let them put you in Building 9 No beach view, swim up rooms - they don't exist so no nee...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
32 Thank DGraham978
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
First of all, allow us to thank you for choosing Excellence Playa Mujeres as your vacation destination.

At Excellence Playa Mujeres one of our main objectives is to deliver high quality services and facilities in a relaxing atmosphere for the enjoyment of our guests. Services and facilities are continuously monitored for this purpose. Thus far, our visitors have experienced the luxury All-Inclusive lifestyle that the property has to offer.

It is of deep regret to hear that the new development being built in Playa Mujeres Community outside our Resort and external to our control affected your perception towards your holidays with us. Nonetheless, be assured that we keep working every day to provide the ultimate Luxury All-Inclusive experience to all our guests.

Our corporate customer service department remains at your disposal at customerservice@excellence-resorts.com in order to further discuss the matter or in case you require any future assistance.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My husband and I have been to EPM to celebrate our April anniversary every year over the last 3 years, and had previously been to ERC for our vow renewal/honeymoon. Since returning home, we have already booked our trip for next year. Why would we go anywhere else? We have been to other all inclusives, with kids, and without, and have never been to a place which rivals EPM in cleanliness, service, food, and drinks.
We were given the Anniversary Package, and received a complimentary beachfront dinner which was by far the most amazing and romantic dinner we have ever had- complete with a saxophone player! Our server, Hector, was incredibly charming and attentive. Everywhere we went, we were so impressed with the service. The bartenders made a point to learn our names and our preferred drinks, and the servers were all excellent, and welcoming.
Not many people mention the amazing walking/running trail just outside of the entrance gate. It is so beautifully manicured, and full of iguanas and even a crocodile sighting. My husband and I used this trail every day, and were so appreciative when the security guards would have bottled water ready for us when we returned- wonderful touch!
The spa is great, and definitely worth the cost. The hydrotherapy session is a lot of fun, and quite relaxing.
The gym is excellent, well equipped, and Victor made our Crossfit class challenging and fun.
The resort is beautiful- very well maintained. We loved our Rooftop Terrace Suite. ( We had always had the Swim Up Rooms on our previous trips.) We rarely left our Rooftop Terrace during the day as it was so beautiful, private, and with room service and a fully stocked bar, there wasn't much need!
Our favourite restaurants were Basmati, and Chez Isabelle- just wonderful food, and the wood fired pizzas shouldn't be missed.
We are already counting the days until next year, and no doubt, every year following....

Room Tip: There is construction going on next door for another Excellence resort, however, we didn't hear...
5 Thank J T
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Pros: This resort truly is beautiful. The rooms are very nice, but not a lot of bathroom privacy. We were upgraded to a suite with our own pool. The staff is super friendly and we never met anyone with a bad attitude. The pools and beach are amazing. The weather was fantastic. Room service came twice a day.

Cons: Food is not very tasty. The breakfast buffet is good and the Barcelona restaurant was our favorite meal. The fridge in the room does not get cold.

Overall, I would recommend this resort, but just know that the food kind of sucks. It is edible, but needs improvement.

4 Thank jackiebla
Edina, Minnesota
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

We just returned from EPM and overall had a wonderful time. There were a few minor complaints that we did have which if I didn't read so many reviews and forums I wouldn't have even know. To start out with I booked an ec swim out and when we arrived it was very early about 1030am so it was raining and seemed to take forever to get our room at about 3pm with no sleep and nothing to do but sit at the bar. We finally got put into 7b which is a very nice location but from reading everything I knew it wasn't an ec room last month so our first day we did complain and asked to move since we really wanted 8b and 7 just seemed very far we were working with Fernanda I forget her exact title but she was wonderful and very accommodating and told us everything was booked up but she could get us a room in 8a the following day. After our first night we just decided to stay and make the best of it since we just wanted to unpack and enjoy our vacation. Our first 2 day nobody was in the newly constructed "ec hut" which kinda sucked plus our first full day we had to call to get drink service at about noon I forget the guys name but he would come back around about every hour and wasn't very friendly. Our third day was spent on isla very fun day and when we returned Fernanda found us and said she'd been looking for us all day since she was told we didn't move because we decided we were happy with the room now. What she said was she knows we are now ok but not as happy and she wants us to be and found us another room while located in building 9 it was a huge upgrade to a honeymoon suite so we did gladly except and it was a beautiful room with awesome views of the ocean yes there was some noise while on the balcony but with doors shut I never heard a thing. So the rest of our stay was spent at the 9 ec pool which was very secluded and yes some noise but really didn't bother us at all besides the pile driver a few times a day that lasted a few minutes. At this pool we were lucky to have Cindy as our server and she was awesome and would just come by every 15 min to check on us and sometimes even surprise up with a new delicious drink. The only bartenders that stood out to us were Julian at sol very fun guy and he can make some good drinks and also the Caesar and Hugo team at night very good guys. Food was hit or miss we mainly did room service for breakfast and lunch did do buffet one morning and grill for lunch loved the pig taco and onion rings. Chez was good but flavor market was our favorite try the blue cheese steak but it was also the only service that stood out we went twice I forget the first guys name but he picked everything for us and was very attentive and nice second time was Oscar and he was good as well. Barcelona was the worst we sat for about 5 min to even have our waiter approach us to get drinks than another 5 to order food and I think they accidentally switch my med ribeye for her well done too dark to confirm but hers was deff pink. The other people who stood out was our concierge at 7b Guendoline and at 9 Diego both very nice. Also when I wanted to get actual premium bottles in my room Alexander helped me out and checked on me every day after that to make sure everything was ok very attentive. Overall we had an unforgettable time and do plan on coming back to see all the staff again and try the other restaurants that we missed. We try and go somewhere every year so we may either try the new finest or the beloved next year with the kids than come back to EPM the following. Thanks again to all the staff I mentioned you made our honeymoon the best I could imagine and also made this review 5 stars. Hope to see you soon!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DandRach
Middletown, Delaware
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This was one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. The room was very nice with a bed on the balcony. The bathroom was not that private but there are alot like that in Mexico. The shower is all glass and you can see from the area where the bed is. The mini bar was nicely stocked with corona, and some candy. There are full size alcohol bottles too. The breakfast area was nice and they had a piano player in the dining room. We liked everywhere we ate. The grounds are beautiful. The entertainment staff was alittle quite for are taste but I am sure most people like that. Each day they had a different lunch on the beach. One day they had Mexican with a live Mexican band. The ride there was alittle depressing but once you are there you will forget about it. The tapas bar was good. I enjoyed blackjack and texas hold em.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank SherryLynch
Long Island, New York
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My wife and I recently spent a long weekend at EMP over the Cinco De Mayo weekend. We were given 2 rainy days and two sunny days. We were married here in 2009 and were blown away by this resort. This was our first trip back since then.
While we were there, we enjoyed the food again which has retained its quality and the service also remained excellent.
Our room was found to be very clean and in great shape considering the resort is about 6 years old now. We had no issues with the room whatsoever.

We found that the resort added an Indian Cuisine restaurant which we enjoyed very much. We also ate at the Mexican, French and Spice while there. All were great, food quality was excellent and the service was wonderful.

Nightly entertainment was an improvement over our last trip here. The live music was greatly improved.

Our disappointment came with the bars. When we chose this resort for our desitination wedding, one of the top priorities was access to top shelf liquor. In 2009, most everything our 45 guests wanted was on call at all of the bars. This trip was different. We found that no two bars were stocked in the same manner and more than a few top shelf call liquors were no longer offered especially with vodka selections. We found this odd because the main lobby features a martini bar...

What liquor was there was decent but definitely cut back from our first trip here. I'd like to see this addressed as it will definitely be part of my desicion process regarding a return trip. Otherwise Excellence retains every right to bearing this bold resort name.

Room Tip: Book early and try to get a swim up suite if available near the main lobby.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#5 of 182 in Cancun
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!