“Excellence!”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellence!”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We travel here as a couple for 2 weeks 22.04.14 - 07.05.14. This hotel was recommend by a friend who had visited in Aug 13. We took all pesos for tipping.

This hotel is just amazing. It is the best holiday we have ever had. The hotel is beautiful & everywhere is so clean & tidy.

When we arrived we were given a glass of bubbly & we was soon checked in & shown to our room, around 5 mins later the bell boy came with out suitcases & gave us a quick tour of our room.
The rooms are lovely & big, they have plenty of space. The bed was so comfy. On the balcony there was a lounge chair which in most night before getting ready to go out we would chill out on there looking over the lazy river. Pathetic mini bar was topped up every day & if you wanted more they would bring it to you no problem. On our first morning we had room service breakfast which was lovely.

This holiday for us was for luxury & to relax, this is definitely the place! We spent most days by the main pool (which was lovely with the floats & the lazy river) near the lobster house/grill which is also next to the beach. We would have a walk on the beach most mornings which is lovely & such a nice view. They did food on the beach at lunch time which was also really nice. You can also get freshly made pizzas at the bar or go to the grill or buffet. They also had bit of entertainment on around the pool every no and again which was nice.
The staff around the pool worked really hard & you also had a drink!

We ate at most restaurants apart from the tapas. Our favourites were Chez Isabelle & Spice. All the restaurants were lovely though, we didn't have one bad meal. We had room service one evening & the food was just as nice. Again all the staff were really nice & friendly, they would keeping checking that everything was ok & making sure you had a drink. There is plenty of choice when it comes to food & drink. It's also all good quality.

While we were on holiday my partner proposed to me on the bridge over the lazy river facing building 7. Which just made the holiday even better!! :)

While we were on holiday we made some nice friends & we have stayed in touch as we don't live to far apart which is nice.
One of the couple we met are coming back in April 15! Jealous!!

I could keep on writing about this hotel there is just so much to say! I have recommend this hotel to all my friends & I will be returning in the future, fingers crossed it will be soon! I can not say one bad thing about this hotel.

If you want to relax & to be treated like royalty then this is the place to be!

Thanks again to all the staff that looked after us & worked really hard.

Room Tip: Building 7.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Sam C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,091)
  • Korean first
Toms River, New Jersey
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My wife and I just got back from our honeymoon in EPM, our only complaint was having to spend 3 nights in building number 9 with the noisy construction going on, not ideal when you are looking for R and R. I agree with a previous reviewer that building number 9 should possibly be taken out of service until the construction is completed, we met many couples there that also requested to move their suites on arrival or within a few days. We were told that they were near capacity and they would move us once they had the availability to do so. The staff at EPM knows that the construction is a big problem there and I think that they did the best that they could to accommodate as many people as they could. In talking to other couples building 9 was the quietest section with the best ocean view prior to the construction project, the weddings also took place back there, we wish we could have seen it prior to 2014. Once we moved our room we got a call everyday from the staff to make sure that we were satisfied with our new location which we were.
I feel that it is important to recognize those individuals who make your stay memorable so here goes. Maria in the excellence club lounge/guest services was amazing, she really did a lot for us while we were there, booked all of our honeymoon package activities, even allowed us to see the room we would be transferring to before we accepted it. Paul, the concierge at the building 8 pool, was wonderful, he knew us by name after just one day, talked to us frequently about our stay and our dinner plans and made recommendations. The entire staff at the cielo bar by pool number 8 was fantastic, particularly David who often had another drink ready for you before you even had to ask for it, and Roquel, the amount of trips that she makes to/from the beach in the heat got our attention, and she does so with a smile every time. Cesar at the martini bar, makes the best drinks and handles so many orders at the same time, it was amazing to watch him perform his craft and he was very personable too. The rest of the staff was all very kind and courteous too, thanks for a great experience and we hope to be back soon....maybe for our anniversary.

Room Tip: Avoid building 9 in 2014
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tapinbirdie21
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I have never stayed at an all-inclusive but having stayed at the Excellence it is the only way to go! The property was pristine and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The room was just 6 feet from the pool and we had a partial view of the ocean. While a bit cloudy during our stay that did NOT prevent having a great time with good sun. By the way this is an adults only property and that was extra special.

Room Tip: The Excellence Club rooms offer the most with exclusive use of certain pools and concierge service.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MS3434
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This resort was amazing!! I wish we were back there now!! We went to the excellence playa mujeres for the first time for our 1st anniversary from may 29 - june 3. I will start off with our only complaint.. When we got there the swim up rooms which we had booked were overbooked so we were assigned a standard room until the next night when we could move. They did offer us a free 50 minute couples massage to compensate for the room, which we heard the massages are amazing but were never able to take advantage of. We should have got the spa coupon right away because we returned a couple times once we were in our swim up room to get our massage coupon but we could only get it from Geraldo who had helped us the first day and we kept missing him when we would return to front desk so it seemed like more of a hassle to get coupon and we just forgot about it. And never got any compensation for not having our room the first night. The most inconvenient part was having to haul all of our luggage back up to front desk before noon and then not being able to get our luggage and room until after 3 pm. Geraldo was amazing and i do understand that he can not be there all the time, but he got us an amazing swim up room in building 7 which we had requested.

The rooms were wonderful and our swim up room was so close to everything unlike the standard room we were in the first night. We could walk right out on our patio and even at night you could listen to all of the entertainment/singers right from the patio because we were so close the the stars theater/bar! it was perfect! Cafe Kafe was also steps from our back patio which was the best part. It was by far our favorite bar!! They made the best drinks and had the most amazing staff!! Angel, Rodrigo and Carlos i already miss so much!! They are the best of the best and had so much fun with them! Exceptional service throughout the resort but they by far made our vacation the best! We have been to other resorts and had wonderful service but we felt a special connection with these guys and i felt that they go above and beyond and it is evident that they love what they do. Fidencio in the main lobby bar was also very fun and friendly and made an amazing banana daquiri and electric lemonade!

The restaurants/food were so wonderful! And I tend to be a very picky eater sometimes scared to try new things but i never struggled to find something! My husband on the other hand likes trying new things all thing time and he would just order whatever they told him was the best thing on the menu and he was never steered wrong. I felt like we ate at a five star restaurant every night! There were also so many choices that we were not able to eat everywhere. Our favorite was chez isabelle. For an appetizer you must try the crepes, they were fantastic!! also french onion soup! I had the boeuf tournedos ( beef filet medallions with bearnaise sauce) and my husband had the duck. Spice was also amazing we got sushi for appetizers and then pad thai with shrimp and chicken fried rice for meals both great!! The lobster house is also a must! Seafood bruschetta was a great appetizer. My husband got some sort of spicy shrimp which they gave him a double order because they new he would want more and i got the lobster grilled. If you order garlic butter with lobster they put it right in the shell and cook it with it, so i also ordered a butter and another dipping sauce on the side to dip which seemed to add a lot of flavor! it was great! We ate at the grill a few times for lunch because it was so good. They always bring you the homemade flour chips with guac and salsa to start and my absolute favorite was the shrimp tacos(which i had twice!) And tons of great appetizers there too, buffalo wings, shrimp cocktail, nachos. Our other favorite lunch was the sol bar brick oven pizzas! The margarita was my favorite and my husband really liked the suprema and pepperoni. They have different help yourself sauces made with different peppers and spices at the bar that you can try on your pizzas. The guy making the pizzas was amazing and was always busy working hard. He would recommend which sauce to use for different pizzas and some of them he had just made himself, it was so good! The room service was great too! and 24 hrs with many choices: steak fajitas, chicken quesadilla, nachos, chicken strips (which sound plain but they were even fancy!) All was delicious! we usually always ordered room service for breakfast too, fruit plate bacon, hot cakes, french toast, bagels, pastries were what we would usually have for breakfast.
Also the desserts from all restaurants we great! We had cheesecake, chocolate biscuit with ice cream, creme brulee to name a few. Our favorite was the ice cream machine right next to Cafe Kafe bar and right outside our room. Carlos was in charge of the ice cream and did amazing!! we would walk 15 feet out our room to get swirl ice cream cones every day!! Carlos went out of his way everyday to take care of us!! After meeting Carlos on our second day and ordering drinks from him, he came back right away with our drinks the next morning right to our swim up room patio without even having to order. He must have seen us out and he remembered just what we would want! We enjoyed taking with him very much and was a pleasure to meet him!

It did rain for three and half days straight on our trip (day and night) which i guess is unusual for this time of year but even with the rain it was our favorite resort ever! It was much more secluded than the cancun hotel zone and the ocean water was much more calm. The beach was beautiful. The beach is not as wide there as the cancun hotel zone so the beach loungers were closer together at excellence, but like i said the ocean was much calmer and more enjoyable. One day we took a walk to the marina which is just down the beach and we were practically the only people on the beach just down from the resort. It was so quiet and extremely peaceful!

There were so many amazing things about this trip that it is hard for me to even think of everything! We felt like we were in paradise and this was definitely a five star experience! I got all teared up when we had to say goodbye to everyone, but i guess this just means we will have to try to return soon!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 7009 and it was amazing! Swim up room, close to everything!! and it is on the corn...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jarrod R
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at Excellence Playa Mujeres with all Trip Advisor Readers.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. We also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

Burlington
Reviewed 9 June 2014

In April my husband and I traveled to the Excellence. I am allergic to eggs, onions and vanilla. It is always a pain to eat out. BUT NOT HERE! Every day Carolina (our concierge) printed the menu of the restaurant we wish to go to that evening. She talked to the managers and chefs. When we arrived the table was decorated with Rose petals and not only were the servers excellent, the Manager and Chef came to our table and told me I could have anything on the menu and they would make it special for me! I have not had this type of service at any other hotel we have travelled to OR at home in one of our restaurants.

We had the suite with the upper deck and the hydro pool. It was a very romantic place to be in the afternoon. We had our own pool with 2 waterfalls and sun bed on the upper section and another sun bed in the lower section. It was worth the extra for the privacy. The only thing missing was a small table by the beds to put your drinks.

Staff: what can we say except extraordinary. Carolina was extremely helpful every day. She always had a smile and a wave even when we were just passing by. At the Barcelona the Manager Pamela was so friendly it felt like home. The Chef was Oscar who made me feel extremely special. At Spice the Manager was Ruben and the Chef was Manuel. We had great servers such as: Saturino, Alisven, Marco and Antonio. We loved the Tuscana for breakfast and lunch and the manager was exemplary.

There is a lot to do there; my favourite was lying in the hammock in the pool. Total luxury but watch out for the sun. The beach is clean and the beach restaurant a great place to pick up a light lunch or snack.

My only suggestion for the hotel improvement is: you need a small table (like the ones in the pool) by the sun beds in the suites. Also there were never enough chairs or servers in the plaza during the entertainment and standing at the bar to get served during the entertainment was long. The shows were very well done but again you needed more beverage staff. The only other thing was that most days the room did not get made up until very late afternoon or early evening.

Room Tip: Get the ocean view if you plan to spend any time in the room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Helene T
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

When we arrived at the resort we were told we were upgraded to a better room. We waited to check in and upon arrival to our upgraded room we had no AC. Additionally it was in building 9 and the construction next door was so loud. To drown it out they had pool music blaring. Now I see that they "upgraded" us to get rid of the poor rooms near construction. I called to complain and after much arguing was told we could move rooms but not until the next day. When we did move they kicked us out of our room at 11 am - 3 pm. There was no where to go but the beach so we sent all our bags into holding area. At 4 we finally got in the new room in building 8 which was very nice. 2 days later I discovered they had smashed my iPad while my bags were in holding. It was bent like heavy luggage was placed on it and it is ruined. They still have not responded, only that they are looking into it... Normally I would not have left my iPad but was afraid to take it up the beach since I didn't have a room I had no choice. Additionally, the food is wonderful but the portions are so small my husband often had to order 2 entrees. He is not a large person! For the money you pay this place is way over rated and terrible service.

• Stayed May 2014
10 Thank MDollar21
We really appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

We would like to offer you our most sincere apologies for the situations faced during your stay which caused you uncomfortable moments and for the inadequate follow up provided.

Our corporate customer service department remains at your disposal at customerservice@excellence-resorts.com in order to further discuss the matter or in case you require any future assistance.
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My husband and I travelled here with our friends for our wedding anniversary. The resort took it upon themselves to deck out our suite with chocolates, strawberries, champagne, rose petals, etc... for our arrival. The beach is private so you don't have to worry about any solicitors. The spa is FANTASTIC! They run specials for couples and I recommend them highly! Also, the Tapas and lobster restaurant are the best! Best vacation for the price I have ever taken!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#5 of 180 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,383 reviews
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!