“1st Timer to EPM...Anv. Trip”

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Reviewed 15 June 2014

This past May 15th we arrived at EPM for our 10-Day stay (15th – 24th) to celebrate our 24yr. Anniversary. Over the past few years we have stayed at other resorts south of Cancun, but wanted to pick something else and enjoy a new A.O. location. The drive from the from the airport is not long at all, we traveled via “Season Tours” and I have to say they are very professional, it may be a little more $$ over other companies, but they were 1st Class and I did not question the price difference at all; the transfer company bills the hotel and we then paid EPM direct. We did reserve an Excellence Club Ocean View/Front Room and made prior request for room/building locations. The check-in process at E.C. did go smooth; the initial room selection did not meet our request, but the following day the folks in E.C. area made an adjustment to our room location and were more than accommodating. I have to thank everyone in the E.C. for all their effort; it was greatly appreciated!

Room:
The EC Room located us in Bld. No. 8 3rd Floor (#8351); the room location is very nice and offered us a direct view of the beach over the main pool area. The layout of the room provided more than enough space to kick back and relax on either the bed, couch area as well as just sitting back on the patio and enjoying the sights and sounds of the resort. The overall feel of the room is very modern. The shower allows more than enough room for two and the overhead rain shower provides a very nice amount of water pressure + you have a hand held shower head off to the side; combine them both and you will get a Power Wash...Lol! We did request the Pillow Top on our bed and that added the comfort we needed, it does add just a couple more inches to the height of the bed. The Pillow menu is also nice and we did take advantage of that also. Each day our room was always well taken care of in the morning and evening; the turn down service is great. We made special requests for the selection in the Fridge and always taken care of. We did request a bottle of Bailey’s in our room and to do that they removed the Gin, Tequila, one other bottle...we just enjoy Bailey’s at night and did not need the other items. Over all; the room is very nice and the layout is comfortable and provided a very nice touch to our overall stay at EPM!

Food:
Our first night we tried Toscana, I ordered the Veal and my wife ordered the Lobster Tail. My veal was tough, but I was so hungry that night I just wanted to eat...should have returned it. The lobster as my wife said was very good. The service at Toscana that night was not on par; slow to service our table and as noted the veal was not that good. We ate at Flavor Market; again for some reason service that night was just slow going for a place half full. I know I am on vacation, but to sit there at the table for 5-10 minutes before even being asked for a drink is a bit odd. We were not aware of the portion sizes at Flavor Market and really wished the waiter had said something to us as we placed our orders, because we ordered 1 appetizer and 1 main course...You really need to order 3-4 of each; that’s why they call it a Market. So, word to the wise make your selection and pick several items or several of the same to sample all the different options...the food was very good. We enjoyed having lunch at the Lobster House each day, can’t go wrong there with all the different options. The Flank Steak sandwich was So Good and tender! We even enjoyed dinner at the Lobster House and Marco is an Excellent Waiter...He really made our evening very special with his service and friendly conversations; people like that just make sure a difference in your stay! For our Anv. Dinner we picked Chez-Isabella and it had been noted to the waiter about our special night; the service and food here were amazing on our night. We did purchase a nice Malbec Reserve bottle to celebrate...yes it costs more $$ than normal, but it was our special night and we enjoyed it so it did not bother us in the least. Two other nights we enjoyed Spice; now this is where you can have a Fun evening if you get to enjoy the hibachi dinner...very good evening with friends and would recommend it! Side note for Spice; they only have so many openings each night and you have to make reservations; the main dining area is open seating and did not require reservations. Part of our Anniversary Package we enjoyed a special dinner on the beach...Wow, it was very nice and service was exceptional. We also enjoyed room service several times in the afternoon and enjoyed the caprice salad along with other items for a snack. The food options great, so you won’t get bored with just one location to eat at.

Service:
Because we selected Excellence Club (EC) Room; we had additional options and one thing I will say is everyone in the Excellence Club office did and exceptional job making sure things were well taken care of and ensured our stay would be enjoyed. The people working in the EC area by Build No. 8 Pool were 1st Class...both my wife and I just enjoyed talking to Paul and his co-worker’s each day at the EC-Pool; everyone made sure our day was enjoyed and any little item needed would be attended to. The bartender at EC-Pool by Bld #8 (David); is also another person that deserves a big Thank You! David always had a big smile and made some amazing drinks for us each and every day. Everyone around EPM also made our stay very warm and welcomed. The martini bar is also another location that people would meet up and enjoy time and Cesar is an amazing bartender, you have to see it to believe it; the guy works very hard day in and day out and his memory will blow you away. Service at the Spa area is also very nice, we enjoyed a couple’s massage one day and then another massage that focused on feet, hands, arms and scalp...I didn’t want her to stop on my feet it felt so good!

Beach & Pool:
We enjoy both beach time and pool time. For the most part during our stay we kicked back at the EC-Pool at Bld No. 8; the location provided a nice central location and allowed us to walk the beach when we wanted as well as exceptional service. The beach is nice, but really wish it had a little bit more frontage...it seemed like the beach chairs and beds were right on top of the water line and limited distance in between. Yes there is seaweed and due to the winds blowing in it added to it for a few days, but that can happen anywhere based on weather, jet-stream and currents...you are on the Caribbean Sea so expect it. Walking the beach area is nice; the walking down to the marina is not that far and an opportunity to soak it all in. We were never hassled by anyone trying to sell items and that’s nice!

Over All Resort Feedback:
I did notice the main pool area can get a bit loud at times, but if it’s too much for you then head over to the beach area or if you are in EC just hit one of the EC-Pools or EC-Beach area and kick back. The grounds at EPM are very well taken care of; you will see people working around the clock to make sure things are in their place. And if something is not right...Just Say Something, but treat people with respect as they do and you will find the people at EPM will respond and do their best to make your stay very enjoyable and/or correct the items that need attention.

The Wi-Fi at our location did not work all that well, I would have to step out on the balcony and point towards the main lobby to get the best reception, it would be nice if they could work on that item for those trying to use the option to communicate with family/friends. We like using Skype on our vacations to stay in touch as well as share our pictures with friends and family during our stay.

Over All EPM is a very nice place for adults to just kick back, have fun and meet other great people if you choose. My wife and I met some great people during our stay and I have to give a shout out to the folks from the UK (Richard and his lovely wife), two other couples from New York and then from KY (Mark and his lovely wife); what a great time meeting so many people this trip, it just added to our stay. And I won’t forget the other T.A. members that we met...we all shared some great laughs by the pool. We are already planning on a return trip to EPM within the next 12-months and can’t wait! Hope you enjoy your stay...Cheers!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank kdsoup
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thank you for choosing Excellence Playa Mujeres to celebrate such special occasion as your wedding anniversary.

It is a pleasure to know that we had the opportunity to host such memorable experience. It is truly rewarding that your stay with us was wonderful and that you were pleased with our food quality and the excellent service provided by our staff. On the other hand, we also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

We will be looking forward to your next visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (12,677)

Reviewed 15 June 2014

My wife and I today begin our last day of a twelve night stay at this magnificent resort. Much like the previous reviewer it was our first trip to Mexico and to an all inclusive adult only resort. It has been a truly wonderful experience from the moment the Bell Boy met us with a glass of champagne on our arrival from the airport. The pool area and beach are fantastic as are the restaurants and daily entertainment. With five kids off of our hands we have been able to behave like kids ourselves, sky riding, jet skiing, snorkelling and crashing around the Carribean Sea in a speedboat! Another big plus is the fantastic staff here. Always ready to help and to offer a beaming smile. A special thanks to Juliana and the lovely Yesenia who kept as topped up with drinks around the pool, and to Martin who brought our Casa Grande Shiraz in the evenings. We will both be sad to head home tomorrow and would strongly recommend this excellent hotel.

Room Tip: Block 7 is pretty central to everything.
3  Thank Gary D
Reviewed 14 June 2014

This was our first time to an Excellence resort,(May31-June7) and we certaily will return. Also, this was our first time to an adult only resort. Our kids are grown and married so we were looking for a different traveling environment and this resort was truly a five star facility. Feel free to e-mail their staff with any pre-trip questions. Vilma was very helpful with questions.
The weather rained a few of the days, but there was always multiple activities going on to keep guests as active as the chose to be.
The expereience began with the recommended Seasons shuttle service from the airport. What a professional, affordable, and easy way to get from the airport to the resort. The bell and chck-in staff was very friendly and efficient. I do not think that there was a single staff member that was not smiling and greeted us with a "Hola".
The swim out room in bld. 4 was a fantastic choice, and a great job by the housekeeping staff all week long. Rooms were cleaned daily and also offered a nightly turndown service as well. The in-room beverages were always restocked and taken care of with any special requests by Ceasar and the staff.
The pools were very nice, easy to get chairs, and or lounge beds, and again great attentive service by the bar staff to keep you hydrated with your favorite beverage. From small, secluded to the large and party atmosphere, the pools were great. The available food pool side was tasty, and hot. Try the fresh pizza's! The beach was very clean, and as easy to get a chair as it was by the pool. Service on the beach was as attentive as by the multiple pools.
Evening dinners offered a wide choice of restaurants all a short walk from the rooms. Please note the dress code for dinner so you will not be surprised. Our most memorable dinner was at Basmati, served by the amazing Oscar. He came highly recommended by other guests we met at the pool earlier in the day. Our group simply put the food choaices in his hands and we were very pleased with the entire meal! A very enjoyable meal and dining night was had at Chez Isabelle for the French cusine. Equally amazing meals were had at Toscana, Agave, and the Lobster House. The morning buffet offered daily favorites and many choices of delicious food, dishes, and pastries to start the day.
Evening entertainment shows were very good, especially the Michael Jackson show. These were Las Vegas style singing and dancing shows in the open air show room. The cigar lounge had a good selection of products for those so inclined. Excellent choices in the Martini Bar for pre-dinner or after dinner drinks. After hours entertainment continued in the Disco for all ages of partiers.
We certainly will travel to an Excellece Resort again!

Room Tip: There is new construction near building 9. So for a quieter room look into a building a little farth...
6  Thank ColoFireGuy

May 11-21, 2014
This is our second trip to EPM, third visit to an Excellence property. We went to ERC last May and it was excellent.
Arrival was fine, welcome drink as always. There was a short line at the desk but it seemed to move fairly quickly, all in all a smooth arrival.
We stayed in a swim up room for the first 5 nights and then moved to a RTT for the last 5 nights. We did like to the room but it was in building 4 which is a bit farther away. We were spoiled by our swim up in building 7, which is nice and close to everything it seems. I would do it again but would like a RTT in a different building.
As always the service is exceptional, and the food is very good. I’m not sure what else to say, this is my third review and they all seem the same….everything really is great.
This time I was smart enough to write a few people’s names down so that I could at least get some people the recognition they deserve. Everyone there really does work hard to make your stay as good as it can be, but I just couldn’t remember everyone’s name….sorry!
The entire entertainment staff was great, particularly the young girl who managed to do water aerobics every day…even if there was only one other person. Guendoline Flores in concierge was very helpful during our entire stay. Caesar at the martini bar, as always great job, Juliana at the pool was one of the hardest working people there and always with a smile on her face. We were greeted almost every morning by Gloria at Toscana, and always with a smile and polite attentiveness.
After few visits to these properties you begin to realize that even though the property itself is amazing, it’s the staff that puts these resorts over the top. Looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Bob R
Reviewed 14 June 2014

When we first arrived at the resort we were so excited because we had heard nothing but great things. Check in was OK. The receptionist gave us little information and we had to ask several questions, several of which the answers weren't specific in the least. We had ordered a 2 story rooftop room spa-resort pool view. Once shown to our room, my husband and I immediately thought "where are the stairs to the rooftop?" The guy showing us to our room told us we didn't have a 2 story because we had a corner room. But we still had a rooftop terrace. He tried justifying it by letting us know that this room was much larger than the 2 story rooftop. The room was nice and had a great view of the resort; however, the privacy of the terrace was cut down because we didn't have a 2 story and the 2 story room next to us could look directly down from their terrace onto ours. We weren't pleased. So we complained in which the staff kept trying to convince us we got the room we ordered. I beg to differ. It's false advertising. When looking at the website you see stairs and a PRIVATE terrace... Not what we got . The staff offered to work with us and upgrade us to a 2 story rooftop in the Excellence club in building 9. The manager told us to take a look to see if we wanted to switch. Just by his tone I knew something was up. We go to look at the room and as we arrive at building 9 we see the elevator is not working so we have to take 10 sets of stairs to the rooftop room then we we get to the room, yes it's 2 stories but the view from the balcony and the terrace was of construction. Plus you could hear men and machinery. So we kept our original room. But this whole experience was not a good way to start a vacation. After a couple hours in and getting settled we perked up. The beach was nice.... not the best I've been to. If you want a super clean beach with fun waves that aren't too rough or too soft like the ones at Excellence, try Secrets Maroma Beach. Best beach I've been to by far! Moving on, we had a great rest of the day. Loved the bartenders at the main lobby bar. Hugo and Angel were great! Loved them and they made strong drinks per our request. The first night we went to the Mediterranean restaurant Barcelona. Gross!!!.... Don't waste your time on this one if you have a limited stay like we did (only 4 nights). We saw a great evening show that featured an imitation Michael Jackson. After that we went back to the room for bed. The next day we had a decent breakfast at Tuscan, which was a huge buffet. I got a made to order omelet that was flavorless. We then hung out on the beach which was very enjoyable. We had lunch at the Grill which was good... just normal grill food but at least had flavor. We then we hung out on our rooftop with drinks. We had dinner at the French restaurant which was pretty good. Moving on, we had massages the next day which were average...again not the best. Had dinner at the Asian restaurant Spice that evening. I wanted to do the Hibachi but was not aware that you had to put your name in by 6:30 in order to eat there especially since the resort boasts on not having to make reservations anywhere. But the food at Spice was ok. The sushi was excellent! The nightclub was fun that night. We ate at Tuscan the last night which was okay for Italian food. Overall our stay was nice. The severs and staff were friendly. Biggest disappointments was the room situation at the beginning of the trip and the food. Would I stay there again, maybe but I'd try other places first.

• Stayed: June 2014
5  Thank Tgreene82
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We have stayed at EPM three times and every trip was nothing but perfect. In fact, I even published an article about it in a Canadian travel magazine. If you are considering visiting EPM, you will not regret it. It is excellent. EXCELLENT!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jim G
Reviewed 13 June 2014

This was my first experience with an all inclusive resort. Needless to say, I was blown away! There were so many things that they've thought of that were a step above what I expected. Carlos Jiminez works at the pool area between the theater and the big pool. If you like the quieter atmosphere with undivided attention of Carlos.. That's your spot. He would bring us a new drink whenever our drink was almost out without asking! A step above in service! Thanks Carlos and the rest of the staff at Excellence!

Room Tip: We stayed in a junior suite in Building 5. There was lots of privacy. Swim up rooms seem to have les...
2  Thank Megvgardner
Le Blanc Spa Resort
#1 of 177 in Cancun
Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!