“Amazing Honeymoon”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Amazing Honeymoon”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We have just returned home after a 10 night stay 6-16 June 14 at EPM. This was our second trip, we got engaged there in June 2013 and loved it so much it was the natural choice for our honeymoon.

We booked a ocean front excellence club suite and then had the news regarding the building work. We requested block 8 in view of this and Vilma allocated us in 8369 which has a great ocean view and is the end room, thus we were the furthest away from the building work.

With regard to the building work I can honestly say that we did not hear anything the whole 10 days, you could see the guys working if you walked past but it didn't impact on our holiday at all.

The weather was perfect and we had an even better stay than our first visit. We ate at Barcelona, Argave, the Grill, Chez Isabelle and had the Romantic Beach Dinner. We enjoyed all the food very much.

We spent every day at the Excellence Beach, the staff at the beach club made our holiday. Our beach concierge Guillermo was outstanding everyday he looked after us, always helped us to arrange our dinner every night. We had a special table most evenings dressed with rose petals. Guillermo,s colleagues Rosi and Antonio were also fantastic. Not only did the guys make our beach beds up, they served us with fresh face clothes, lovely snacks and if you left your sunbed to have lunch etc they would change the towels for you. Fidel the waiter on the beach was outstanding always so pleasant he really looked after us, suggesting different cocktails to try, often bringing drinks without us even asking. Mango margarita was my favourite cocktail during the day.

All the staff go out of there way to make your holiday special, we had a lovely meal at Argave and Pamela made sure we has a special table and a special desert with welcome home Mr and Mrs Smith written in chocolate. On our last evening our concierge Caroline arranged a special dinner in Chez Isabelle the chef sent over extra shrimps and our desert was a platter of all the deserts on the menu. When we returned to our room it was beautiful rose petals scattered in a path to the jacuzzi which was filled with warm water and rose petals and also a special heart and swam shaped towels. There was a bottle of champagne and a platter of hand made chocolates. It was a lovely surprise and perfect ending to our honeymoon.

A special mention to Cesar and Hugo at the Martini Bar they make really good cocktails and are a lot of fun. We will be back in January for our first wedding anniversary.

2 Thank Lou S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,220)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Wales

Background:

I would say we are well travelled and like to stay in 5 star hotels whever we go. We have stayed at the excellence before in fact it was the opening week so wanted to see if it was still as excellent as we remember it, and due to the fact we tell everyone to book it. Here is an overview of our second trip from December 2013.

After an ok flight with Virgin flying in PE (we only managed to get 2 / 3 drinks the whole flight?) we were quickly through customs and out to meet our driver. We used Canadian Transfers this time and the service was excellent from the cold towel and water to the pre ordered beers. We shall be using them again on our next trip and would recommend them.

Our arrival went smoothly until they said we had a twin room not a double? More of this later.

The grounds have only got better with time and are as ever very well maintained by a hard working ground staff.

The room was as nice and as large as we remember with an amazing shower (party for 10 will fit!) a large flat screen tv with some english channels and a nice lounge area. The in-room bar is great with full bottles of rum,vodka,gin etc as well as mixers and juices in the fridge. They also have snacks like M&M's snickers and crisps (chips for my USA friends).

The restaurants are still very good and we enjoyed most of them. We would have tried them all again but fell in love with Basmati. As many from the UK will know we do like a curry and these were on a par with any I have had in the UK so much so we went 3 times!! We loved the French with some great steak and enjoyed the lobster house. They serve the lobster tails different now which we both felt was not as good but still ok. We loved the new pizza oven on the beach this was really great and offered something different to going to the buffet or restaurant.

The bars served some great drinks with plenty of top shelf options to choose but also you MUST try an iceberg!! Carlos at the martini bar is like a machine with serving drinks but is always happy and never forgets what you like somehow?

We did have a few issues this time which was sad and took the shine off the trip. As mentioned at check in they had us in a twin not a double. They were going to move us but took a number of calls and visits to get sorted. The room we were moved to was not as great location wise as the last so we went back. The bell boy to be fair was really great moving us out then back!

We had a lot of rain when we were there which ended up with our room being flooded from the roof in the early hours which was not great but to be fair they moved us next door where we stayed as we only had a day to go.

Overall – Apart from the not so great communication from the front of house we enjoyed the stay again. The pressure will be on for Excellence and me though as we have booked to stay again this year and this time we are taking the in-laws of which the dad is well respected in the UK travel world from running one of the well know travel companies. hopefully it will be back to a 5 rating?

A side point is that comes up is the toilette door. Yes there is a gap at the top and bottom of the door and yes it is frosted glass (so you cannot see in!) but unless you stand outside it (who stands outside a toilet door??) you will neither hear or see anything. Worst case grab a drink from the in-room bar and sit on the balcony and enjoy the view!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank mattt9999
Lawton, Oklahoma
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Had an amazing stay at Excellence Playa Mujures. If you're looking for a young loud party scene with lots of loud music and liquor (although there's nothing wrong with this), this is not the resort for you. This is catered towards a bit older crowd looking for a quiet relaxing luxurious getaway. It's a bit far off from the main Cancun hotel zone.

I was a bit concerned at first that we would be treated like second class citizens since we did not purchase the club membership or upgrade to a room with a swim-up bar. However this was not the case at all. The service was exceptional and everyone was accommodating. We did not in any way felt like we were missing out on anything. Personally, having seen the swim-up bar during our stay, I realized I wouldn't have liked being located on the ground floor with people walking right outside our window. I loved our 3rd floor room from which we can look out onto the beautiful resort/pools from our spacious balcony which consisted of a daybed.

The food was typical resort food. You're not going to find michelin rated quality restaurants here but we weren't really expecting any and so that was ok. Our favorite was the Mexican restaurant. Hey, you're in Mexico, it makes sense. ;)

The spa was amazing. When I booked my facial, I was able to take part in the Wellness circuit which included a 30 - 45 min of what they called a hydrotherapy circuit. It included various steam rooms and water massages.

Overall, it was an awesome time. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SueLeeH
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I celebrated our 39th wedding anniversary here. We have done cruises in the past so this was our first land trip. We could not have chosen a better place! Albert, the manager, was the best! He treated us like royalty! The room was absolutely beautiful. We had the lateral 2 story rooftop terrace. It had the biggest shower we have ever seen. The restaurants were terrific and service for the tours was outstanding! We have recommended this resort to at least 8 other couples. Would not hesitate to go again! The Chandlers from Philadelphia

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Carmella C
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Just got back from 3rd stay at EPM! We had another wonderful holiday. The staff are amazing. If you like to be treated really well then stay here because they cannot do enough for you. Oscar at the Basnti made us a special meal, he is a legend!!! We would like to thank Sheily, Gloria, Paul (pool concierge) Dalel (Club manager) Iscmel, Reuben and Tomas who brought me hot milk for my coffee every morning. Vilma (concierge) you are just wonderful. I could mention everyone as they are all very good. I have stayed in a few hotels in the past and never found one where the staff treat everyone so nice. We feel these people are our friends and that is why we will be booking again next year!!

Can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: We use to stay in block 9 but with the building work going on I would advise block 8 if you book a c...
3 Thank 365Mel
Ogden, Utah
Reviewed 16 June 2014

The location is quiet and peaceful. Although there is current construction going on next door noise only appears to affect those who stay in Building 9. If you are interested in walking around downtown or shopping you will need to take bus or taxi. It's approx 15-20 minutes into town. The service at all times was impeccable! The staff was probably the best I have seen in all our travels. They always greeted you, had a smile, and would do anything for you. Amazing people. That includes room service, front desk, restaurants and bars, bellmen, waiters! Always checking that everything met your needs. They always followed up on completeion of any request.

The facilities were absolutely amazing. Beautiful gardens, manicured lawns, hot tubs and pools maintained at a high standard. Towels available at pools. Pool service by waiters was outstanding and attentive.

Loved our room.

The only smaill issues were the following:

1. Toilet door in the Bathroom. I read many comments about this but wasn't sure what they were complaining about. Now I see. The door to the toilet is a frosted glass door. The bathroom is open to rest of suite above a 5 foot wall. The issue is that although the frosted glass door gives visual privacy, it does not reach to the floor (about 6 inches shy) and it doesn't reach to the ceiling at the top (about a 1-foot opening). Thus someone elsewhere in the suite can expect sounds and smell from occupant of toilet. Possibly not a problem for older married couples but for newlyweds it may be more intimate than desired lol.

2. The Food. Overall it was very good. With 9 restaurants and only 4 days, we obviously didn't try them all or the complete menus. We were disappointed in a few things.
a. At the Grill, the fish taco plate was very small. Others commented on this also. It was good. But the serving size was small. I tried the rib-eye sandwich and could only eat 2 bites. The were no sauces, the meat didnt seem to have been seasoned in any way and was dry.
b. At the Asian restaurant we were looking forward to the Thai dishes. My wife is Thai and I've been eating Thai food in Thailand and US for 40 years. Sadly the two dishes I tried did not resemble Thai food in any manner. The "beef salad appetizer" was small, had no meat worth mentioning, was missing most of the ingredients of a true beef salad, No comparison at all. I also had the "Pad Thai" and again it was very poorly named. No resemblance to true Thai Pad Thai at all. It needed meat, onions, and so much more. If your going to make an ethnic dish it should resemble the authentic dish to some extent. These did not. Suggest they bring in Thai chef as consultant on menu and recipes. Also the rice used in the sushi rolls was prepared incorrectly. Should have found individual rice grains instead of mushy rice.
c. The International restaurant or Tapas restaurant were confusing. The food was basically ok. But we were new to Tapas style meals and were told it was best to order 3 apps and 3 mains per person. Yes, we know tapas means small plates. My 3 mains were all just meat and bigger than expected. One dish of meat was piled high but little seasoning. No vegetables or sides. So my entree was three plates of meat. LOL. I ate a little but with nothing else, i just left them mostly uneaten.
d. The best food of each day was the awesome breakfast Buffet. Many we talked to also raved about it and the vast selections. Loved it. And dont miss the creamy ice cream dispenser next to the outside bar next to lobby. Best vanilla ice cream I've had in years!

There are a variety of activities scheduled throughout the day and evening entertainment. We cant comment on them as we are early to bed people and we lazed about the pool all day. LOL.

This is an awesome resort with plenty of places for privacy or for fun. The pools and grounds are exceptional as are the accomodations. The highlight though was the people who work there! I travel to Thailand often, and it's known as the "Land of Smiles" for its friendly people. The wonderful people working at this resort deserve the name more than anywhere else I've been! Bravo! Gracias!

4 Thank ravenret
Arlington
Reviewed 16 June 2014

After staying at a number of adult all inclusives I would have to say that EPM ranked somewhere in the middle.
Upon arrival (Beginning of June), we were greeted with a Mimosa and hand towel and lead into the lobby area. Although pretty, everything seemed a bit dark. We found that to be the case in most of the restaurants and common areas as well. Our rooms were not ready, which was not a problem, as we were early. Everyone waiting for a room received a “buzzer” except us. I had not discovered that until we were at the lunch buffet to killing time. We returned to the lobby for check in had to wait with two other couples to have our bags brought to our room. The whole process was well over a half hour and after a long plane trip, it was laborious to have to stop at others rooms before our own.

I should mention, at this point, that we were traveling with another couple and a group of twenty somethings. All in all 13 people. I had emailed and called the hotel directly and well in advance to request that we be near one another or at the very least, on the same floor for convenience sake and It turned out that we were in 3 different buildings quite a walk from the main lobby area. I was asked and told the staff that we were celebrating birthdays and graduations. They specifically asked the rooms and then balloons and champagne were sent to the wrong rooms! Not a huge deal, but still not great customer service. With that said, I think it’s easier to break down areas of review:
Property: The grounds we lush and well maintained with beautiful sculptures throughout. There is construction going on next door that is not pleasing to look at, but understandably unavoidable. Some of the balconies off the rooms and pools had a worn look, but nothing major. One huge drawback was the tiling everywhere. It rained intermittently during our stay and the floors throughout the resort were treacherous. Very slippery and constantly wet. We even saw one woman take a fall on the steps. The staff diligently worked on keeping the floors dry but it was a lost cause.
Rooms: This is by FAR the main reason I will never return. I don’t care if you are a honeymooner or celebrating your 50th wedding anniversary; we all want some privacy! There is NO DOOR into the bathroom. You heard that right. NO DOOR! There is no wall above the sinks. There are two sun shaped mirrors where you can see directly into the bedroom. There is, however, a glass door to the toilet, but it does not reach from top to bottom. There is a 6 inch space from the floor to the bottom of the glass door. Let’s face it, when nature calls we ALL seek a bit of privacy. This isn’t, after all, the last frontier! One other unfortunate issue is that the hotel places smokers and non smokers in rooms beside one another. When we went to the balcony we were greeted by a plume of smoke.
Restaurants: Can I just say from the get go that men having to wear dress pants is just silly. I completely understand having a dress code, but if women can wear dress shorts, men should be able to as well. So long as your are appropriately dressed in a nice pair of shorts, this should not be an issue. This means that after dinner they now have to go back to their room to change into shorts in order to enjoy the rest of the evening, which is usually quite humid.
Spice and Agave were my favorite restaurants. I also heard people praising the Grille and Lobster Bar. One big drawback was that you cannot make reservations. If you came after 7:30 you had a good chance of at least an hour wait. Although we were with a big group we never insisted that we all sit together, but seating was still a problem that could have been avoided with reservations. We than had to scramble to find another restaurant and still wait. For the twenty somethings it would have been nice to at least have the options of a buffet for dinner if you could not get a reservation.
Pools: All pools were very nice and some days they had live musical entertainment that put people in a great frame of mind. There was also very popular pizza oven by the pool that made fresh pizza all afternoon. It was a huge hit with pool goers. Another nice feature was the ability to have lunch at a little restaurant directly on the beach. Downside; every Jacuzzi around the pool was lukewarm. A number of people complained, but it was not rectified during our stay. Plenty of towels and lounge chairs were available on the beach and at the pool.
Activities and Entertainment: No matter what all inclusive you go to, the shows tend to be a little cheesy, but I will say the EPM was a cut above the rest. The performers were well trained and the performances were fairly current. They had a singer who performed before the Michael Jackson review and he was excellent. They also had a band playing outside by the bar prior to the show and they were excellent as well. I would have like to have seen more of them. After the show they opened up a “disco”, until 1am. The entertainment around the pool was a bit lackluster. Not much to get the crowd going, but it may have been the intermittent rain that delayed or postponed activities. We aren’t huge party people, but it is nice to see the guests having a good time around the pool.
Staff: We found all of the staff to be very friendly and accommodating. We had a couple of issues with a broken mini bar and fallen curtain and the staff addressed those issues very promptly. One person we couldn’t find a lot was the concierge. We were told they were available until 11 pm, but we never saw anyone after 4 or 5 if then.
Tipping: We tipped at both bars and restaurants but never felt pressured by the staff to do so. They were appreciative, but not at all pushy.
All in all, if I were to return to Mexico and wanted a five star adult all inclusive, I would return to the Iberostar Riviera Maya. EPM has nothing on them!

Room Tip: Stay away from Building 9. That is where construction is taking place.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
10 Thank Shadowcat521
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you very much for taking your time to share with all of us this review, your feedback is very important for us and it is our regret that we were not able to exceed your expectations, although many travelers find Excellence Playa Mujeres to be a great place for romantic and relaxing getaway, with excellent food options and outstanding service.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. We also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Mujeres
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#7 of 175 in Cancun
Secrets The Vine Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!