“Honeymoon Amazing!!!”

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
“Honeymoon Amazing!!!”
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

The best way to sum this place up is UNBELIEVABLE. The service is top notch, the beach, the restaurants, the rooms. There is NOTHING bad about this place. This place and these people made my honeymoon unforgettable. I definitely recommend a rooftop room with a pool. The sunset we got to see...amazing!!! We will be back!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Lindsay G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,219)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Topeka, Kansas, United States
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This resort is amazing! My wife and I stayed here from June 17 to 24, 2014 for our honeymoon. This was our first all-inclusive resort experience and it could not have been any better. I give this resort my highest recommendation.

The resort grounds and facilities are beautiful, but what makes this place special is the wonderful staff. The quality of the people that work here is what sets this property apart from any other vacation property I have ever visited. At this resort, all of your needs will be taken care of. If you need something or have a question, just go to a staff person or the concierge and you will be attended to immediately. There is so much I could write about, but I don't have enough time to go into all the details. For us, every aspect of our experience at Excellence Playa Mujeres was just that...excellence. If you have any questions please feel free to message me. Also, I highly recommend the Excellence Club. We loved the service we received in the Excellence Beach area and in the club, especially chocolate martinis.

I would like to thank the following staff who treated my wife and I like royalty: Jaime, Diego, Rodrigo, and Mario from the Excellence Club. Ever, Raymundo, and Eduardo from the pool bar. Cesar and Hugo the bartenders from the main bar. Paul, Mauricio, Raquel, and Juan Diego from the Excellence Beach area. Last but not least Byron and all the concierges from the Excellence Club. I apologize for not remembering everybody's name. You are all wonderful! I can't wait to return!

Room Tip: We stayed in building 7 which is very close to the Excellence Club. We never heard any construction...
9 Thank jybarra75
Mudland
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Hands down, best all inclusive in Mexico. My husband and I have traveled to many different places, and have stayed in a dozen different all inclusives. Ignore all negative reviews, those are people that complain about the sky being blue. And get Excellence Club, totally worth it!!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank KSKeef
McKinney TX
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This resort is absolutely beautiful and one of the best I've visited thus far. We visited Valentine Imperial Maya last year and really enjoyed but decided to pay a little more and see if there's an advantage. Excellence Playa Mujeres did not disappoint. I can truly say that I plan to go back ASAP, perhaps in November for our anniversary.

Pick up and drop off:
Lomas Travel did an excellent job of pick up and drop off. Roberto of Lomas Travel is THE MAN and he takes care of us and helps us get to our ride quickly. The check in at the resort is quick and painless. Pick up is just as easy.

The grounds, pool and beach:
The trip from the airport to the resort was short (only about 25 minutes) which was a big plus for us considering that the last resort we visited was almost an hour away from the airport. This short commute afforded us more time at the resort and less time commuting. The resort feels very secure as there is a watch tower and several gates that must be passed before the actual resort is reached. The resort itself is breathtaking. The grounds are beautiful and probably the thing we enjoyed the most are the close proximity of the beach, pools, restaurants and rooms to each other. You could easily go from the pool to the beach in a matter of minutes. The beach is one of the best I've seen and didn't seem overcrowded. There's plenty of beach chairs with and without shade. Even if you're a late riser, you still have ample opportunity to land a nice spot. The resort is VERY clean inclusive of the pool, the bathrooms, the restaurants, the actual suites, EVERYTHING is immaculate.

The suites:
We chose a junior suite and I have to say I was very happy with the choice. We were considering one of the roof top terrace suites but we didn't think we would use. We were right and it seemed no one else really used theirs either because there so much to do. The suites come equipped with a jacuzzi tub, king size bed, a nice size shower for two with rain shower head, double sinks, modern fixtures and lots of space for your stuff including a walk-in closet and even a service hutch for room service items. The rooms also come equipped with a fully stocked mini bar inclusive of juice, water, beer, wine, soda and snacks (chips, snickers, M&Ms). There are also 3 full bottles of Vodka, Rum, Tequila and Red wine. I just couldn't believe this! Last, there's 24X7 room service. Very cool - you don't have to leave for a thing if you don't want to. The only negative I had to say about the room was that the mattress was quite firm. Now that I'm back in my soft bed, I think the firm mattress actually provided a lot of support as I slept well each night. Regardless, it may be too firm for most. We stayed in building 7 and this was a great spot. It has a pool view, its close to everything.

Food:
The food was VERY good overall. Better than Valentin IMHO with the exception of the buffet. Valentin had much better buffet quality than Excellence. The best restaurants are the Chez Isabelle, Lobster House and Spice. We didn't make it to Flavor House but heard good things. Toscana (Italian) was just ok - nothing really to special or amazing. Chez Isabelle was the best all around with THE best deserts. You could tell a lot of care was put into the food and menu. The worse food choices were the buffets and the beach side grill. The buffet at Toscana was bad each time we ate there - none of the food selections made since, there wasn't much variety, the breads were stale and overall the food quality and selection didn't compare to the restaurants. It was such a shame that the buffet wasn't better. Excellence is too good for that so I hope they come up with a better selection and better quality in the future. The deserts were pitiful at best. It was very easy for me to skip desert everywhere except Chez Isabelle - those deserts were SPECTACULAR. I also loved the fresh squeezed juices made available at breakfast.

The bars were great with the best ones being the one at the main pool and the martini bar. Hugo and the guy that makes the Yum Yum shots are top notch and super accommodating. Your glass never goes dry. The liquor choices at the bars are pretty good as well - better than what I've seen elsewhere. The entertainment was really good - the club Alegria is fantastic but its small and gets hot - needs more A/C. People were sweating a lot from dancing so I would recommend wearing anything to warm if you plan to dance :) Otherwise, we had a great time. The live entertainment is pretty good as well (MJ show was awesome, fireshow was cool). The only issue I had was with the main auditorium. This area is exposed to the outside but is under a roof. When people come for the shows, its gets really hot (particularly on the right side). This areas needs more fans or some form of A/C to keep everyone from sweating understanding that the poor men are in button up shirts and slacks for dinner as part of the required dress code.

Service:
Best of the best. By the way, I don't think Excellence Club buys you anything you don't already get. Each staff member works hard to make you happy and provide great service so its seems like money wasted.

Overall, I really enjoyed this resort. It was super relaxing, I met lots of great people and we had an amazing time. We DID NOT want to leave. Special thanks to Enrique for allowing me to eat after the restaurant had closed and taking great care of me in general. Thanks to Ray, Hugo and the many others that provided excellent service. This place was worth every penny I spent and then some.

Room Tip: Building 7 and 8 are great. Don't worry about the construction next door. You don't hear it...
11 Thank kmcdade
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review, and for recommending us with all Trip Advisor readers.

Thank you for letting us know how memorable and special was your stay, due to our resort facilities and atmosphere, the food & drinks quality encountered, and the outstanding service provided by our staff members, who always attended to your needs.

We are looking forward to welcome you back in November and have another opportunity to pamper you with our service creating another experience to remember.
Camden, Delaware
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Great Resort. Check-in was smooth and only took about 10 minutes. We requested Bld 8 which was honored. We paid the extra for Excellence Club which gave us those extras my wife loved. Food and Service was top notch.

Room Tip: Bld 8 close to pool and Beach.
1 Thank David H
Texas
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Hello, spent 6 nights at EPM from 14-20 June 2014. First time here. Read all the reviews so knew what to expect. The grounds are spectacular! I don't know that I'll find anything else out there that compares. Stayed in EC room 8266 overlooking EC pool with a view of the ocean. Room was fantastic. Had great housekeeping, turn-down service, and mini bar service. Everything we asked for in those aspects was honored. Found lots of inconsistencies with service in restaurants. We are big on tipping and I'm sure that was appreciated, but not necessary as friends did not tip and received same service. Was never cool in room or in restaurants. Wasn't impressed with EC lounge. Besides checking in and checking out we were in there maybe 2 other times. Didn't seem like a real upbeat friendly place to be. It was also hot and stagnant. This place needs some ceiling fans. We looked at the thermostat and it was 79 degrees in the EC lounge!! Loved the EC beach and floating in the pools. You are just steps from your beach lounger to the water edge. Loved it! Water was calm and clear! As far as drinks, there was never a problem getting Crown Royal unlike some of the other 5 star resorts we've stayed in. Not sure we will be going back to EPM anytime soon. Kept comparing it to the Hyatt Zilara (Nov '13). Gorgeous property, though!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Jeannie8888
Kearney, Nebraska
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Nothing but good things to say about this resort. We've stayed at several locations in Jamaica and Mexico, and this was head and shoulders above any others. Service was great, food was above average and we enjoyed perfect weather during our stay. Rooftop terrace was well worth the upgrade, while we did not splurge for the Excellence Club after reading some less than stellar reviews on the limited perks for the heavy price tag.

3 Thank Marty M
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#7 of 175 in Cancun
Secrets The Vine Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!