“Honeymoon”

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We stayed 4 days. I suggest either a roof top or swim up room, if not you will be envious.
Nice beach but did see a kid from the next resort.
Personally, I didn't care too much for the food. I would order something and end up eating only a few bites. So, we ended up like 5x a day.
The service was exceptional but I didn't like how thin the door was, we could hear everything in the hall.
The biggest thing I didn't like was the glass bathroom door that had no top or bottom. I love my husband but I love my privacy as well.
We spent about $500.Even though its all inclusive, we still did one activity, hooka, souvenirs and wine. We also had to tip several people and they don't keep change.
I did really like how this resort was away from the hotel zone. What this hotels lacks, it makes up for in service.
Would I recommend it, yes. But will I go there again, no I'll try another place.

• Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank chavezvm
There are newer reviews for Excellence Playa Mujeres

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I love, love, love this resort! We travel quite frequently, but we never stay at the some place more than once. Well with this exception. This was our third stay at Excellence Playa Mujeres. That alone says a lot. I can't say enough good things about this hotel!

The rooms are beautiful! We've been lucky enough to always stay in building 8, twice in a swim-up room and once (for our honeymoon) in a room with the rooftop spa. We've never been disappointed with our room. Fresh flowers, fresh fruit delivered daily. We were so spoiled :-)

The service here is probably the best of any hotel we've stayed at. Every staff member is amazing and they really do go above and beyond in every aspect of service.

The food and drinks are all top of the line. Top shelf liquor, even a stocked bar in your room. Don't like the selection of beverages, one phone call and that can be changed. Seriously, where else do you get this kind of service and attention to detail?

I was really happy to see some of the changes that they had made since our last visit. The entertainment options have significantly improved. Love the shows, and the activities at the main pool. I like that they are playing current/fun music at the main pool during the day. However, if you want peace and quiet, the Excellence Club pool was a great place to relax. Amazing service at the Excellence Club pool.

The construction was never an issue for us, it looks like most of the really noisy part of construction has been completed. But, I could see where people in building 9 would be inconvenienced, there isn't much privacy in that building.

All in all I absolutely love this hotel! I would highly recommend it to anyone considering a vacation here, and can't wait to return for our fourth visit!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Skyruisstoo
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We were greeted with champagne and cold towels. The resort is very beautiful, very well kept and maintained. The staff is very friendly and always willing to help. The bartender at the BLUE swim up bar was extraordinary. His name is Eduardo. Another bartender at the same bar Reymundo was also very nice. They accepted our special requests. The meals at the various restaurants were better than average all inclusive hotels. The rooms were far superior than other all inclusive hotels and resorts. The beach was very clean and well laid out with chaise lounges, umbrellas, beds, etc. Drinks and snacks were served at the pool and the beach. Room service was available 24/7. Hobie Cats were included at no cost. Entertainment provided every night at the theater and sometimes at other places including the beach. Buildings 7, 8 and 9 are closest to the action. Excellence club rooms come with better alcohol in the mini bar and a private beach and pool area. I had the two level terrace room with a splash pool multiple beds and an outdoor shower. It is more of a couples resort. there were lots of honeymooners and people celebrating their anniversary. I would not recommend the room for children. I had two adult kids a boy and a girl so it was little difficult for them to share the room. The shower door is see thru and toilet door is semi see thru. The spa treatments were excellent massage, facial, manicure, pedicure, special water treatments in the spa area. There were hammocks on the pools and the water temperature was very nice and warm. Excellence at everything.

Room Tip: Rooms in building 7, 8 and 9 are closest to the action. but there was construction noise near buildi...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank CEO08
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We had a great time on our honeymoon at the excellence. The restaurants were great, we recommend going to the lobster house. We ordered the grilled Lobster on more than one night. When you go make sure you ask that they bring you a double order of lobster. They are Caribbean Lobsters, so a bit on the small side. When you visit the LH ask for Marco, he provided great service.

While it's all-inclusive I think the staff did appreciate the tips. I would allocate some money for those.

Only complaint was that the beds were too firm, while it was fine for me, they were uncomfortable for my wife.

Room Tip: Excellence Club Ask for Building 7 or 8
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul R
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We have just returned from our 4th visit to EPM and can’t wait to go back. Within minutes of arriving we realised why it is that we continue to return. We were welcomed home with a smile, a glass of bubbly and a cool face towel. We were checked in and shown to our room within minutes of arriving. The resort looked just as we remembered; clean, well maintained and above all, totally luxurious. We did notice the construction next to the hotel but didn’t feel it really had any impact visually and heard no noise at all during our stay.

During our visit we spent time on the beach, by the main pool and around the lazy river. We had no problems finding loungers with shade and even found we were able to change location throughout the day. Our days were mainly spent relaxing whilst floating around the lazy river. We did manage the bike tour and enjoyed kayaking most afternoons.

We visited most of the restaurants during our stay and thought the food was excellent. In fact our bathroom scales suggest we enjoyed the food a little too much, lol. There was only one evening where we had to wait for a table but the wait was so short we hadn’t even finished our drinks at the Martini bar. This year our favourite restaurants were Chez Isabelle and The Grill. We ate at both on several occasions and found the food excellent and the staff really friendly. We celebrated our Wedding Anniversary in the private room (The Wine Cellar) at Chez Isabel. The evening was amazing from start to finish; thanks to the champagne, the perfect fillet mignon, the beach, the lightning out at sea and the hot tub full of bubbles and rose petals. We chose to eat at The Grill to celebrate my birthday. We had a lovely decorated table facing the sea and the food and service was excellent.

We always find the staff are friendly and very hard working and will do their best to accommodate your every wish. Special thanks to;

• Niakare (Guest Services Manager), who took excellent care of us during our stay.
• Gwendoline (Concierge), who was very friendly and helpful in taking care of any requests we had.
• Yesenia and Gaston (Pool waiters), who were excellent and very quickly remembered our names and favourite drinks.
• Gloria, Shirley and Alfredo from the Toscana restaurant.
• All the staff at Chez Isabel and The grill that were excellent in looking after us on numerous occasions. Especially Roal (Chez Isabel) who looked after us on our Wedding Anniversary and Cesar (The Grill) who entertained us on my birthday and other nights.

We had an amazing two weeks at EPM and really didn’t want to leave. We have chosen to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary at EPM for the last 4 years and are continually impressed with the luxury of the resort, the quality of the food and the friendliness of the staff. EPM just gets better and better. We always look for new resorts to visit for next year’s Anniversary but so far we haven’t found anything to tempt us away from EPM. It’s looking like visit number 5 is on the way!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
17  Thank mrsrena31
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Amazing hotel with fantastic facilities. The pools were the best feature; with a lovely winding river, shallow areas for sunbathing, hammocks for relaxing and floats - which made for a perfect lounging experience. The hotel has a wide variety of trips on offer, however make sure you save up as they can be pricey! The service from staff was by the far the best we have experienced in any hotel. We were not sure of the expectations on tips and there were certainly none from the staff, but we felt compelled to tip at our evening meals, since the service was so good (and since we would tip in any other place we visit). The restaurants were all fantastic - al a carte menus with very good quality food. We would highly recommend the French and Italian restaurant. We generally had no problems getting a table at the 9 restaurants on offer. The evening entertainment had good variety and was good, although we generally did not take advantage of this.

There was one issue for us - noise by the pools. The main pool (located next to the beach, with the pool bar) has music playing, which is fine - we avoided and sought places by the other two pool areas. HOWEVER, we then found other guests were using music speakers/beat boxes by the poolside. This was highly disruptive to our ability to relax. When we are on holiday (and particularly when on honeymoon) we like peace and quiet to talk, read or snooze. We found the music intrusive and found ourselves moving around to avoid it. As mentioned, we appreciate people like different things, so had no problem avoiding the more upbeat main pool. However, the hotel needs to address noise at other pools. 1) they need to ban portable speakers 2) they need to have a dedicated quiet pool.

Room Tip: We were in block 6, which was reasonably close to the main facilities and therefore can lightly here...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Holly W
Reviewed 17 July 2014

A much overdue review from me, as it was in February 2014 that my wife and I went to Excellence Playa Mujeres. The resort was a 30-40 minute drive from the airport. We used Canada Transfers and would highly recommend them.

SERVICE
How could this resort do any better regarding service and overall ethic of care towards the client? We found service at this resort to be the best of any resorts we've previously attended. Bartenders were friendly and good to chat with, room attendants did a great job, servers were very quick with orders especially given how large some of their service sections were and management had a constant presence throughout the resort.

BREAKFAST
Breakfast foods were overall quiet good. Our preferred items were made to order omelettes and french toast. The selection is vast, covering various meats, veggies, fruits, cereals, yogurt, pastries, etc. Most buffet food was warm to hot. A few "misses" could be seen and were avoided, such as cut up hot dogs. If you have a distinguished coffee palate, I would recommend ordering cappuccino, espresso, etc. instead of the potted coffee they bring around.

LUNCH
We had a few great lunches at The Grill, and I would strongly recommend the fish tacos. Avoid the club sandwich. Burgers looked good but we never tried them. We ate lunch a couple times at the beach grill, which offers a different theme every day. Beach side food was mediocre at best, often lukewarm to cool. Brick oven pizzas were quite good by all-inclusive resort standards. Take advantage of some of the presented flavoured oils to add to the pizza.

DINNER
We ate at Agave (Mexican), Barcelona (Mediterranean), Toscana (Italian) twice and Chez Isabelle (French). It is tough to pick a favourite as most meals were delicious. Most notable is perhaps our first visit to Toscana. In our first visit we ordered osso bucco and lasagna which were both outstanding and this surprised us given our high standards for Italian cuisine.

ROOM SERVICE
We were extremely disappointed with the food quality from room service. We ordered room service once for breakfast and once for dinner. For breakfast I ordered eggs and medium rare beef tenderloin in a ranchero sauce. What I received was lukewarm eggs with steak-umm strips in a pool of ranchero juice. If they didn't have beef tenderloin left, they could have just notified me and I would change my order. The steak-umm strips were gross.

For dinner one night we ordered salad, beef tenderloins and baked potatoes. What we received was one salad, one green spinachy wrap with veggies inside (with saran wrap still on with a sticker indicating it was prepared four days prior), our steaks and rice. We did receive beef tenderloin this time and not steak-umms. The steak was good. We were disappointed to receive the rice instead of baked potatoes.

If management reads this, my advice would simply be to maintain communication with the client. Kitchens run out of food items sometimes. If improvisation is required, maybe just quickly contact the guest and mutually agree on a good alternative. Guessing what the client wants in lieu of what was ordered is not a good practice.

DRINKS
Huge points for an excellent booze selection. An excellent beer selection with top beers being Negra Modelo and Pacifico. If you are lucky you may find a European import at the Martini Bar. I found a Carlsberg. As for wine, the wine is drinkable and compared to most AI resorts I would say the wine was outstanding.

I'm an avid rum drinker, so having Flor de Cana 7 year in the room was great. Flor de Cana 12 year and Havana Club 7 year are also great rums that can be found at the bar. Beware of Hemingway Mojitos! They are delicious, but when your drink is a concoction of only rum, sparkling wine, lime and mint... self-control becomes an increasingly more difficult struggle.

BEACH
Why do so many people complain about the beach? Having gone to a number of AIs now, I thought the beach was quite good. Sure, there is some seaweed. On all days the water was mostly clear to about 100 feet out. On most days beach service was excellent.

Overall, this is an excellent resort with great service, amenities, pool and grounds. A stay at the EPM also means you will eat very good food and enjoy a nice beach. We are interested in returning to this resort.

Room Tip: If room location is important to you, I suggest researching locations and contacting Concierge appro...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#7 of 176 in Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!