“So good we are going back for HONEYMOON”

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Menai Bridge, United Kingdom
“So good we are going back for HONEYMOON”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I visited this hotel in September last year. WOW, staff were brilliant and so friendly nothing was ever too much. Food was out of this world as is location and beach. Cancun is only a 20 mins away in a taxi which was cheap enough anyway. The taxi driver will wait for you if you want him to. I cannot wai to go back and visit again.
Dream location
Emma

Room Tip: Swim up rooms are amazing
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Emma T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,092)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 30 July 2014

While the location and hotel are amazing, this resort is truly made special by the people that work there. The restaurants and food were all great but Agave was the best particularly so because of Pamela and her warmth. Julio runs all of the restaurants and he makes sure all guests feel special. Hugo at Martini bar was a great host. Hector organizes many of the activities. He was engaging and a great sport. These folks make Excellnce Playa the five star resort it is.

The Barbosas

2 Thank Angelica R
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Since this is a very popular destination for honeymooners, I’ll be providing a detailed review of Excellence Playa Mujeres. After all, you only get one honeymoon so you better make sure this is the place for you.

First, for our honeymoon we opted to upgrade to the “Excellence Club”. It was an extra $150 per night, and definitely worth the extra cost. We actually only wanted an ocean view room, but the only ocean view rooms are located in the Excellence Club, which comes with a plethora of extras. Most notable extras are access to the Excellence Club lounge, which has Nespresso coffee, food, and a private bar throughout the day. The bar serves premium spirits (grey goose, Johnny Walker Black Label, etc.) that are not available elsewhere on the resort. Also, Excellence club has it’s own pool. This is a decent size pool with very few people in it. It is quiet and serene; with incredible poolside service by Dulce- she is simply the best. If you do book an ocean view room in building 7, do not accept a second floor room, the ocean is barely visible over the treetops. Only the third and fourth floors are true ocean view.

In terms of service, our concierge was a bit overzealous about calling our room to make sure we were “ok”. Phone calls were all hours of the day and evening, starting at 9 AM. Woke us up several days of our stay.

Second, facilities are top notch, comparable to any 5 star resort. Everything is new with nice finishes. Pools and grounds are artfully designed and impeccably maintained. There were always ample lounge chairs and cabanas for everyone. Multiple pools and lazy river lets you stretch out and get some space away from other guests.

Third, food and drink. This is where things were very hit-or-miss. You cannot compare the food/ dining quality to that of a 5-star hotel in the United States or Europe. The breakfast buffet at Toscana was great- good selection of foods from around the world. Breakfast service was very slow. Since it’s a buffet, waiters are on hand to provide beverages. Often, myself and other guests just got up to pour our own coffee and water. Not a big deal, but definitely not 5-star service.

Lunch was dismal. The Grill, poolside food, and room service were not edible- poor quality, often cold, and lacking selection. The buffets were a much better option. Toscana has a great indoor lunch buffet and the beachside buffet option was pretty good Mexican fare (not great). Beach buffet doesn’t even require a shirt or shoes, so it’s a very good quick and casual option.

As for the dinner options, it was very nice not to have to make reservations, and any wait times for tables were very short in duration. Agave was the standout for us. Mexican food served in an open-air restaurant. We dined on delicious food and cocktails while watching the sky darken overhead. Margaritas, guacamole, and other dishes were incredible. Paulina (Agave manager) took very good care of us, and we returned to the restaurant on our final night for a special creation by Paulina and the Chef. Chez Isabelle and The Lobster House were also good, but not great. The food at Barcelona (Mediterranean) and Spice (Asian) were two of the worst meals I’ve ever had. The food does not come close to representing anything from that region of the world. These attempts are weak imitations to be avoided. If you’re not a big foodie, the food is probably ok, but if you have high expectations (like me), you may be disappointed with the overall offerings.

“Juice bar” is just sugary pre-made juices. If you’re looking for whole fruits stick with the breakfast buffet.

Finally, entertainment was top notch for an all-inclusive resort. Talented musicians perform nightly in the courtyard. Theatre shows are decent (Michael Jackson impersonator) . . . good to kill some time after dinner if nothing else. It is just the right amount of entertainment for couples or groups that want to party a bit without it turning into Spring Break. Also, other activities were great- casino night (Irene is the best dealer), karaoke, stand up paddle boarding, well equipped fitness center, tennis etc.

I hope this helps.

14 Thank 550Andrew
Springfield
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This post is long overdue, but given the exceptional time my husband and I had at this resort and the superior level of service we received, I am going to write this very belated review.

My husband and I traveled to Excellence Playa Mujeres for our honeymoon October 7-12, 2012 (I warned you this review was long past due). Being the over-zealous planner that I am, I researched all-inclusive resorts in the Cancun area for a few months before he and I decided on EPM. For the months leading up to our wedding and honeymoon I continued to research the resort and scoured Trip Advisor reviews. To say that I had high expectations going into our stay would be an understatement; however EPM somehow managed to not only meet, but surpass my expectations.

We arrived at the resort around 9 p.m. As is customary, we were welcomed with a glass of sparkling wine and walked through the check-in process. Then, one of the staff members escorted us to our room and gave us a tour of the main landmarks in the resort along the way. Upon arrival to our room, my husband and I were pleasantly surprised to find we had received a complimentary upgrade to a swim-up room (non EC).

The room:
As previous reviews have detailed, the rooms are beautiful and very spacious. The rain-head shower and Jacuzzi are lovely and the suite is nicely furnished. Some of the features of the room that we particularly appreciated, which are not often mentioned, were the in-room safe and the X-box for room service. The electronic safe is a nice perk because it provides a safe place to store passports, cash and other valuable so that you don’t have to worry about them. The X-box (a box located by your exterior door that has openings to the outside walkway and inside your room) was great because you could have room service delivered without even having to answer the door. My husband I enjoyed having snacks delivered to the X-box while we were showering and getting ready for dinner, or just before bedtime. Plus, when you’re finished eating, you can place the dirty dishes in the box so that staff can clean it out and you don’t have to dirty up your room with them.

The resort:
The resort is truly gorgeous, both day and night. The large palm trees, tropical plants and landscaping make it look like paradise. We spent most of our time in the lazy river and on the beach – both are wonderful. We’d often walk out of our room (since it was a swim-up suite), hop in the lazy river and grab a float mat along the way and just drift along for a couple of hours, jumping in and out to grab drinks as needed. The beach was also beautiful. We enjoyed swimming in the ocean and just lounging on chairs soaking up the sun. After the stress that is a wedding week – being able to simply relax on the beach was a welcome and much needed change of pace.

At night, the resort takes on a whole new look as the buildings, pools and decorations are lit up. It’s very pretty and romantic. My husband and I enjoyed walking down to the X-Lounge on the beach after dinner and looking out at the lights of Isla Mujeres and listening to the ocean waves – one of my favorite memories.

The food:
The food and drinks are wonderful. My favorite cocktails were frozen Midori sours and electric lemonades; my husband’s favorites were the electric lemonades, icebergs and the ever-simple scotch on the rocks. We were only there for six nights, so we didn’t get to try all of the restaurants as I’d hoped, but we did try the Lobster House, Spice (pan-Asian), Chez Isabel (French), Flavor Market (tapas), Basmati (Indian) and Agave (Mexican). The food at all of the restaurants was good, but Flavor Market and Spice were our favorites. The mushroom risotto at Flavor Market and the sushi at Spice were the standout dishes. We did try the hibachi room at Spice, and it was ok, but I don’t think the flavor was quite as good as some of the dishes they have on the main menu.

For breakfast we ate at the buffet in Toscana, except for the morning we had the champagne breakfast in bed. For lunch we would eat whatever specialty they were serving on the beach (tacos, fresh seafood, etc.) and the brick-oven pizza. We tried to go the The Grill for lunch one day, but when it started raining they understandably had to close the restaurant.

The spa:
My husband and I treated ourselves to a couples massage since it was our honeymoon, and found it very nice and relaxing. One thing we learned is that you need to arrive at least 45 minutes early to enjoy the hydrotherapy circuit that comes complimentary with any spa treatment. We got delayed and after we checked in to the spa only had about 20 minutes for the hydrotherapy, and while it was nice, we got rushed through it and didn’t get to experience all of its parts. Since it was our fault that we didn’t arrive promptly, we understood why we got rushed through the circuit, but it would’ve been nice to relax and more fully enjoy it. So word to the wise – arrive early.

On swim-up rooms:
We are truly thankful for the upgrade we received for a swim-up room and very much enjoyed it. However, in the future I don’t think we would choose this type of room. The main perk to the swim-up room that we enjoyed was being able to hop in and out of the lazy river. What we didn’t enjoy was that walking to/from the lazy river we often got our feet or shoes muddy and then tracked it onto the patio of our room. While the loungers outside of our room along the lazy river were a nice bonus, we found that we spent most of our time in the pool or on the beach and didn’t utilize them quite as much as other guests might.

On the basic honeymoon package:
Since it was our honeymoon, we were thankful to receive the basic honeymoon package that comes with a banner on your door, towel art on arrival, a champagne breakfast in bed (room service breakfast with mimosas) and a few extra perks. We definitely enjoyed these little extras and they helped make our stay that much more memorable. If you’re traveling for a honeymoon or anniversary, be sure to denote that so you can receive the complimentary, basic package.

Minor setbacks:
We did experience a few small hiccups, but none were that big of a deal or caused us any major problems. I am noting the few small cons we experienced here to be fair and informational, but they certainly did not detract from the wonderful experience we had overall

There were a few perks noted in the complimentary honeymoon package that we did not receive. For instance, we received the welcome letter, but did not receive fresh fruit or a bottle of sparkling wine on arrival. For the “specially prepared romantic dinner” you receive a card to give to the host(ess) when you check-in, and while we did so (at Chez Isabel) we didn’t receive any special touches/ table decorations/ drinks or special desserts that were different from any other dinner, so I’m not sure what was special about it, or if maybe the host(ess) forgot our request. We also didn’t receive special turndown service as noted in the package, or at least not that we could tell. None of the above were a big deal to us, and they certainly didn’t impact our great time, but they were things I noticed.

The other minor cons we experienced were that twice the mini bar attendant missed our room and frequently the housekeeping staff didn’t come to our room until quite late in the day (after 2 p.m. at least). The housekeeping issue is the only one that caused us a small inconvenience as we’re pretty tidy people.

In retrospect, I recognize that any of the above issues likely could’ve been easily resolved if we had talked to a concierge about them. Given that it was my husband’s and my first time at an all inclusive we weren’t quite sure what to expect and were a bit reluctant to ask for anything (especially because none of the hiccups were that big of a deal in the grand-scheme of our trip). We’re pretty go-with-the-flow people and were wary of rocking the boat, but if I had it to do over again, I probably would have said something, as it most likely would’ve been easily resolved.

On the trip overall:
Overall, I couldn’t have asked for a better trip. We loved our time at EPM and highly recommend it to anyone planning to travel in the area. It’s been a year and a half since our trip and we still daydream about this place – it’s just that good. We are planning to return to the resort for our 3-year anniversary and are going to upgrade to the Excellence Club for the ocean view room. I can’t wait!

Special thanks to the amazing staff who made our experience so wonderful and memorable. You all do an amazing job. Thank you for giving us great memories of our honeymoon to look back on.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank courtney1901
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
We thank you for having taken time to post a review about your experience at Excellence Playa Mujeres and for choosing our hotel as your honeymoon destination. We wish you well in this especial step in your lives.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. We also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

Lexington, NC
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Hubby and I had a wonderful time here 7/19-7/26. It is absolutely stunning, exactly like the pictures on the site. In all of our travels, we have never experienced service on this level. Let's face it, Mexico is the meca of all inclusives and service, but this one exceeds all 6 upscale places that we have stayed in. Our favorite of the restaurants were the French (our waiter, Christian was friendly, informative and just great the 2 times we went there), Indian (I hate that I did not write our waiter's name down, but he was great) and Japanese (though the Japanese would benefit from adding side dipping sauces). Benedicto and the manager of this restaurant went above and beyond to make sure our last dinner there was delicious and very special. They could also benefit from an upgrade in the quality of their room service. It was subpar. But again, the level of service superceded the minor complaints and improvements that could be made, that I noted. The other restaurants were good in their own way. I will say attention should be always given to temperature of foods. But the over the top element was that if you had something that you did not like, they bent over backwards to make sure you were satisfied. The breakfast buffet was amazing! It had everything you could imagine, including made to order eggs, fresh waffles and pancakes. The rooms are gorgeous. Very modern decor and fixtures. The rainfall shower head and the jacuzzi that was off from the balcony were really nice touches. The fridge and snacks were always well stocked. Housekeeping did an amazing job. It seemed like whenever we left the room and returned it was always fresh and clean. The beach and pools were very nice and well kept. I found there were sufficent lounge chairs. Oh and the brick oven pizzeria in the beach/pool area was an extremely nice touch. Enriche (who made the pizzas) was always pleasant and hard at work trying to satisfy everyone. All of the bar staff were great and attentive. The gym is very nice and more than adequate to stay as fit as you want on vacation. Though the nightly entertainment can use some upgrading and improvement, the entertainment team really worked hard to try to keep everyone entertained. We really bonded with Alehandro, Veronica, and Yeny. They were great at their job! The Michael Jackson show was about the best show the resort offered and it was just alright. The concierges in building 7 were always informative and had wonderful customer service (especially the middle-aged lady who went out of her way to make our last night very special-hate I didn't write her name down). I would definately recommend this property for a relaxing vacation in the Cancun area (especially if you do not want to stay around the hustle and bustle of the hotel zone). We have been to the riviera maya area several times and this place gives you a bit of variety, while maintaining that high level of quality and service.

Room Tip: Get at least ocean view!
4 Thank XavierNC
oklahoma
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We returned two weeks ago from our fifth year in a row at EPM and still can't get over how it gets better every year! There is not one thing we can be negative about EPM. It truly is "going home" for us. Everything from rooms, food and especially the service that never has let us down. Because we are "older" we book the excellence club for the little extra service and quiet at the club beach and pool. Nothing makes you feel more at home then having some of the staff remember you from year to year. We really need to mention Alexander who is especially outstanding at the excellence beach, he helped make every day extra special for us.

We are a little concerned about the new resort being built next door to EPM. It looks very very large and very very close. Having the Beloved on one side wasn't too bad but we are little worried that this new one on the other side, being a family resort also, will definately take away from the quiet and lovely walks down the deserted beach that we and others so enjoy daily. That is one of the things we so enjoy about EPM. We hope it doesn't get to be like Cancun hotel zone.
Guess we'll find out next year.

We will for sure be back "home" next year, can't wait.

2 Thank OklahomaBeachperson
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Just returned home yesterday. Can not say enough good things about this resort. We were treated like royalty from the time we arrived until we left. We were a group of eight all staying in the Excellence Club rooms which were amazing. The only negative I can say is that everyone in our group was upgraded except my fiance and I. Disappointing that for the same price they were upgraded to higher levels with private rooftop pools while we were given the room that we paid for. The servers working around the pool were very attentive. Juliana couldn't do enough for us. She kept our drinks coming and brought but us waters and buckets of ice without needing to ask. We spent two days seated at the pool in Juliana's section and we were very spoiled the entire time. She provides great customer service and was also very sweet and personable. I will definitely be returning to this or another Excellece resort.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#5 of 180 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,386 reviews
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!