“Beautiful resort for a destination wedding”

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Long Island, New York
“Beautiful resort for a destination wedding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

This resort was the perfect place for our destination wedding! We had about 40 people meet us at the resort and stayed an additional week after everyone had left to celebrate our honeymoon. Our room was beautiful- we stayed in a 2 story rooftop terrace suite. We also stayed in the excellence club which was worth it for service at the pool.

Working with Lleny the wedding coordinator was a pleasure and our wedding was better than we could have imagined. We were able to reserve tables at Mexican Night and that served as our welcome dinner for our guests at no extra charge. Additionally, the in house photographer, Beach Wedding Studio, was also amazing.

We thought the best restaurants were Basmati and Flavor Market. The sangria at Flavor Market was the best on the resort. Would definitely recommend ordering an Iceberg (beer w a floating frozen marg on top). Martha, Jorge and David were the best bar tenders and Edgar was the best waiter. Our only complaints would probably be that they should have at least 3 bar tenders at the main pool bar during the day and that the wi-fi is very spotty.

Lastly, if you are celebrating a special occasion I would highly recommend the private dinner on the beach. It was among the most romantic things we've ever done and probably will ever do. Well worth the extra money. Also highly recommend the hydrotherapy at the spa.

We loved the resort, and so did all of our guests!

5 Thank Dariah L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,056)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I recently went to Excellence in Playa Mujeres for our 15th wedding anniversary. This has to be, hands down, the best hotel I've stayed in. The staff is very attentive from the moment you walk in. You get greeted at the door with a moist towel and champagne (the towel is soo refreshing!!). At the pool area, look for Gaston, this gentleman attended to my wife and I. He's on point, always made sure that our glasses were full of drinks, attended to our needs. Look for him if you can. The manager Alexander was also a great help. This hotel is top notch. I highly recommend it for an anniversary get away!!! We will definitely be back soon!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Angel R
england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is perfection, if anybody is looking for pure luxury this is the place to be!

The staff:- they are wonderful people who aim to please, they will do anything for you and seem genuinely happy to serve you. Nobody was rude. I loved that they have waiters in the day walking around happy to fetch you drinks or even food whilst you sunbathe! :-)

The food:- the worst restaurant for me would be the Mexican restaurant, I was not a fan of the food and different tastes, but that is always a personal opinion. The rest were all brilliant, what I would recommend is if you don't want to wait for a table then be ready and go down for dinner between 6:30-7-30 as after that it starts to become busy and places start to give out buzzers because there aren't any tables. I loved the grill outside the meat was delicious.
The only thing I can say bad about the restaurants is some of the lighting in some restaurants are to low, needs to be a little brighter so you can read the menu's etc.
The room:- we were in room 8103 block 8 in the standard room, it was lovely, I love the bath tub, all the pictures do not do it justice it is bigger than it looks! I lived relaxing in their with the jacuzzi on watching the TV with a drink. Perfection! But watch out when getting out! Put towels down and have the slippers ready to put straight on as marble floors means it can be very slippy and dangerous.
The rooms are great for couples but if you are going with friends just be mindful that everywhere is open, they even have a massive window in the shower room so you don't have any privacy when in the room.
Room service:- we had bad/good experiences with this and I think that is based on the times you order, we ordered once at 2 in the morning for two hamburgers and extra fries, it came as two club sandwiches they had made a mistake then he came back with the hamburgers and they weren't cooked and were very pink and gooey. So be careful what you order and always check your food when ordering meat which every place you are eating, as I found this happen in a couple of dining places.
The pools are great, they are always warm and at first clean but as the two weeks went on there were more flies an dings in the pool.
The sun lounges are great and there are plenty of towels around for when yours are wet.

The beach is amazing the best I have ever seen! And they always try and get rid of any seaweed in the morning which you would not find anywhere else. The sand and sea is beautiful we even saw a sting ray swimming by the shore one morning! :-)

We aren't people that like to waste a holiday and returning to somewhere we have already been but this holiday has been amazing that I would go back one day and I've even been looking at this resort in Dominican Republic and the one they will be opening in Jamaica ! I can not wait.

The entertainment:- they always had something on throughout the day and night every night so there is something happening for everyone which is fantastic and if you don't like what is on there are plenty of other places you can go! :-)

If you are looking at this to see wether you should book this hotel stop now and just book it!! No matter what is said this hotel is perfect for everyone and the staff always accommodate to everybody's individual needs. I am allergic to peanuts and somebody would call every night to make sure I am ok and if there is anything they could do to help or anything they could out in place for my allergy it was fantastic and something you would not receive anywhere else you would go!

all good things have to come to an end eventually but we will be back!! :-)
X

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rachEngland
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

Just got back from Celebrating our Honeymoon.
From start to finish it was hands down one of the best. We were greeted by everyone, they all smiled and were genuine in their hellos. We did a few of the daily activities with Veronica she is a comic genius and had us going with the laughs. If you get a chance do the bike tour with Elias he is great and TRUST me you will be glad you did. We did all the restaurants Basmati had great Indian. Toscana has an eggplant appetizer that we had to get 6 times its that good, And pizza with berries and endive that I NEED to recreate. Barcelona has a vegetarian menu that was great. Agave made me a special vegetarian meal for me. Chez Isabelle is ok. The Flavor Market is great for your pre meal tapas.
We do recommend upgrading to the Excellence club. Having private areas and the extra attention is a perk that you cant ignore.
The only con I would say was the wifi connection was not the greatest. We could get it great on the deck or in the Excellence club areas not too good in our room.

Davidjohn
&
Jeff

Room Tip: We choose the 2 story roof top. Having your own private plunge pool is GREAT
3 Thank Davidjohn13
Santa Monica, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

I never thought I'd make it out to Cancún but the opportunity presented itself and we seized it.

Grounds: Driving from the airport to Playa Mujeres takes about 20-30 minutes without traffic, though the driver will say something like "45 minutos." I recommend pre-arranging transport, like thru Kinmont private vans, which are cheaper and turned out to be pretty organized. The resort is located about 20 minutes north of the city center, but realistically you never need to nor want to leave. The entrance to the resort is lush with marble and vegetation and the second you get off the plane you feel ... that heat.

The resort itself has a little bit of an 80s-90s feel to it inside but is super modern and well-appointed outside. The pools are really stunning and there are straw hut cabanas all over the place. Over time it became apparent that there's sort of a "young couples" pool (with pool bar) closer to the beach and then a lazy river and some other pools with more mixed crowds. Your day, your mood, your choice. The hammocks are brilliant. The Corona lights and pastel slushies are delivered with care and a smile - the staff seems really happy to be there and is down-to-earth. The beach is interesting in that 1) it is pretty vacant and isolated, which I think is good and 2) it is characterized by a long narrow strip of greenish, clear water. This stands in contrast to the bright aquamarine beaches of the city center. More on this later.

Food: This is PM's greatest weakness. Without adding to much pretense to this review, simply put the food is overly-salted/cooked/mashed/sugared. I'm kind of high maintenance coming from West LA but I think it's fair to say that the food is catered to taste really good without concern for culinary art or health. I tried most of the restaurants and ate in the room quite a few times; it was satisfying having the all-inclusive at my disposal but would have liked to have seen greater quality over quantity. Finally, it is Mexico, so a Mexican restaurant would be much appreciated (did I miss it?)! Note also that the restaurants near the beach, including the Lobster and the Grill, are casual, but you may need at least pants and a short-sleeve button up or collar for the other spots.

Outside the resort: this is going to cost you around $75 roundtrip pre-arranged with the hotel just for transport. The Cancún city center is hella ghetto and frankly there's no reason to go there unless you're dying to hit up Señor Frogs with a bunch of your bachelor buddies. Since you're probably here on your honeymoon or anniversary (everyone here!), just stay, trust me. There's nothing better out there. Save the culture and local cuisine for another, bolder trip and chill out at the pool, enjoying a window of peace.

The other places I considered were the Fiesta Americana, Ritz and maybe even Playa del Carmen, but Playa Mujeres turned out to be a very well-rounded, service-oriented resort with beautiful pools, private beach, fun people and no mosquitoes. So, a win.

Room Tip: Even in the least expensive room you will sleep well and be comfortable. If you are the type that do...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank japangeles
Morris County, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

There isn't anything you can say bad about this place! The staff are amazing and will tend to your every need. The food, drinks, room, pools, etc are everything you could want in a 5 star hotel. Simply amazing! This was our second visit and won't be our last.

Room Tip: Spend the extra and get a room as part of the excellence club.
6 Thank DonaldD123
Plano, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Just got back from our second visit to this incredible destination and we are again unable to say enough great things about our stay! I was worried our return visit would not be as great but it was even better - which seemed impossible!! But at this resort they just keep adding things to make your stay over the top! Advice - use the hotel transfer from the airport as this is a first class start! Stay at least five nights so you can dine in most of the great restaurants. Be prepared to experience the best service as it is beyond- the- Ritz type attention to every detail. Although every staff member there is incredible we loved the activity staff - especially Veronica and Alejandro as their enthusiasm for the activities made it all so fun! There is never a lack of things to do as you get a sheet of activities available every night for the next day - at the beauritul room tuck down service! And don't be surprised if chilled bottles of champagne and delicious treats show up in your room - all so indulgent and wonderful. How can we thank you enough Playa Mujeres - you are our dream vacation! See you next year!!!

Room Tip: rooms that look our on the lazy river are best for a quiet time or by the pool for a more active vac...
10 Thank traveljojo2013
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#5 of 181 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,257 reviews
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!