14,788 results
All reviews lobster house martini bar chez isabelle flavor market the grill sol bar our honeymoon main pool carolina paz rooftop terrace ec pool cafe kafe non ec room service building concierge french restaurant swim up room
Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

This was our first time at an all-inclusive so we really didn't know what to expect, but I feel like we will never visit anywhere as perfect as this resort! Do not hesitate to book your vacation here...you will be so glad you did. Above and beyond the beauty of the beach and immaculate grounds of the resort, it is the staff that stands out above all. In 9 days, we never encountered anything less than a smile on every face we passed. You are pampered by friendly, joyful people who obviously love their work and take pride in what they do. We found the restaurants to all be excellent, but one stood out above the rest. We've been twice and have decided to make it the location of our last dinner here tonight. Spice, offering unique and beautiful Asian food, was simply put...off the charts! And our waiter, Ulises, is the best we've experienced anywhere. He brought laughter and conversation to our meal his service was flawless. Huge shout-out to Ulises for all that you do! Can't wait to come back!

Date of stay: August 2017
1  Thank finhap495
Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

We returned for a second time. First time was July 2014. The magic just wasn't there like the first time. Food was hit and miss. Breakfast buffet was same everyday and got boring fast. Save your appetite for Las Olas for lunch on the beach. Authentic Mexican food and it was always delicious. Guys have to wear pants, collared shirt and shoes for dinner but women are free to dress as skimpy as they want. It's freakin hot and humid I was uncomfortable for every dinner meal and couldn't wait to get back into shorts and Tshirt after dinner. Sea grass is slowly taking over. In three years it's moved about 20-30 feet closer to shore. Not sure if they can do anything about it, but it just makes the beach less desirable as a lot of sea grass washes up on shore. They had people taking it in piles because the tractor couldnt keep up. With more and more hotels popping up around that area, the ocean is a lot more active with parasailing, jet skis and excursion boats. Not nearly as relaxing as it was 3 years ago. It's hard getting shaded loungers on the beach as people "reserve" them with their things and go eat breakfast. Wait staff and bartenders were also hit and miss. Some were absolutely amazing and some acted like they didn't want to be there. We missed out on white night because they ran out of food. We then went to every restaurant that was open and all were booked out for the rest of the evening. We were told to just order room service. We did eventually get to the sports bar at 10:45 and was told the kitchen closes at 11. I asked if it was ok to order and they said yes but then got a lecture about order this late. Apparently all the employees leave on a shuttle bus at 11:30 and if they miss the shuttle, they are stuck there all night. I was so upset at this point that I didn't care, dropped $10 and said make me some food. They did and I just hoped they didn't do anything to it lol. We booked the roof top terrace and found that it was just to hot during the day to use it. I enjoyed the outside shower though and we did use the plunge pool when we woke up and befor we went to bed. I also noticed the place is showing signs of aging and wear. Tiles everywhere are cracking and a lot are sloppily fixed with screws to keep the from falling. Other things to note, pools close at 7pm. No pool side alcohol shots after 3 and all bars stop serving shots after 11pm. You are free to order drinks, just not shots. The shows are very amateurish, and not put together very well. Three years ago they had more cultural shows that I enjoyed but the only thing that was the same was the Micheal Jackson experience. It was ok. I'm glad we went back, but I doubt we will be back again. It's beautiful, but I think a lot for staff went to the two newer properties and it shows. I feel this place is a 3.5 star resort at best until the do some major renovations and better their staff training.

8  Thank Chris M
Reviewed 8 August 2017

Travel

The travel time to the hotel from the Cancun airport is a breezy half an hour to forty minutes. And then, once you exit the bus and enter into Nirvana – your vacation magically begins with a cold, citrusy towel and a glass of sparkling wine. Check in is quick, professional and hassle free. At this point, if you have upgraded to Excellence Club (more on that later) – you are taken to a private lounge with a bar, snacks, and excellent service to check in.

I would like to shout from the rooftops my deepest THANK YOUs to Vilma who made our upgrade possible. It is only due to her professionalism and magic that we were able to enjoy the option of Excellence Club. Although I am sure our vacation would have been just as amazing, this was the service that simply put it over the top for us. Thank you, Vilma!

Excellence Club

If you have the option, I would strongly suggest upgrading to Excellence Club. Although the hotel and the staff treat everyone exceptionally, the extras are just that cherry on the cake. Some of the perks include: Private beach and pools, Excellence Club Lounge, premium toiletries, Concierge, pillow menu (!) and more (see picture).

Room

For our stay we upgraded to a Two-Story Roof Top Terrace Room (we stayed in room 8464). It truly is a spectacular room! Two storey suite with a pool on the roof. It also features a Jacuzzi on the first floor and two terraces with huge sun beds. Once we entered the room I pretty much saw no reason to leave. Ever. There was also a mini fridge with drinks and snacks, several full size bottles of alcohol and a cold bottle of sparking wine. If I could – i would just stay in the room and have someone poor champagne for me all week long. It really is that good!

Beach

Unfortunately for the room, we did eventually leave it and head out to the beach. As Excellence Club members, we were able to enjoy the private part of the beach with a concierge, option to order food, large beds and a quieter ambiance. Although I have to admit that in order to secure the cabana for the day, one needed to get up bright and early and get to the beach. However, having two kids at home, waking up at 7am already felt like sleeping in, so in reality we didn’t have any issues throughout our stay getting our preferred spot at the beach. (Keep in mind that your spot can only be held for one hour without you occupying it.)

The Concierge at the beach was also a nice touch – always prepared with ice cold sparking wine, sunscreen, lotion, books/games, cold face towels and water. Needless to say, we were never without a drink.

The water and the beach itself are beautiful. There is, of course some seaweed, so one should not expect crystal clear water and white sand, but the hotel workers are cleaning the beach non-stop throughout the day and doing their best for the guests not to notice anything.

Pool

The pool at Excellence Playa Mujeres is a large lazy-river style pool with plenty of secluded and private spots to relax, large beds with plenty of shade, hammocks and floats. There is also a “fun” pool with a swim-up bar and music / entertainment. Excellence Club members had two additional private pools with concierges (like the one at the beach). The service at the pool was as quick as at the beach and we never saw anyone having to actually get up to get a drink.

Of course, the down side to that is the extra pounds that are pretty much guaranteed throughout the stay. One could, of course, work them off at the gym, however, I have to embarrassedly admit, that i did not set foot in that part of the hotel.

Spa

As part of our anniversary package and Excellence Club upgrade, we did have the opportunity to try out the resort Spa. We did the Hydrotherapy treatment and couples facial/massage. The spa was very clean, the treatments were enjoyable and the personnel knowledgeable and professional. I must say that I may have changed my husband’s mind about spas forever. There is a chance that he will now follow me to my appointments…

There are nine (nine, Karl!) restaurants at the resort. Unfortunately, we didn’t have time to try them all, however, the ones that we did – were excellent! One thing we liked the most was the lack of a buffet option for dinner. It really makes a difference when you have to dress up (the restaurants have a strict dress code for men – long pants, collared shirt etc) and sit down for a meal. There was also no need to reserve a restaurant in advance (except the Cooking Table experience, which we did not do). You only had to show up and if there was a waiting time – you were given a buzzer and sent to the bar. I am not sure how anyone can complain about waiting a half an hour for dinner when you have unlimited drink options. Mind-boggling to me.

As part of our anniversary package we also got to enjoy a romantic beach dinner. Although beautiful and, yes, romantic, it is nothing to write home about, as we have done it a few times at other resorts. We found the white beach party to be a much more exciting affair with excellent food and a superb fire and light show.

Service!

Although the grounds, the food and the room were all exceptional, the service is what makes this hotel truly stand out amongst others. Every single person was willing, ready and eager to help in any way they could. Every. Single. One! I don’t think I have ever seen such excellent service anywhere else. Everyone finished their sentences with “what else can I do for you, Mrs. ***?” and “it is a pleasure, Mrs. ***”. Their “Mrs. ***” sounded like “Your Majesty”, no less.

Isla Mujeres

One trip that we did aside from venturing from our room to the beach was to the Isla Mujeres, which is situated right across from the resort. The island itself is only 7km long and less than a kilometre wide, which makes it easy to explore. Tourists can rent convenient golf carts and visit the most exciting landmarks of the island within a few hours.

Driving the golf cart from the Northern side to the South and back, we visited the Mayan Temple on the South side, the Ice Bar on the West coast and the Northern Beach itself:

The Mayan Temple is situated on a gorgeous cliff with breathtaking views of the vast ocean and is a must-see.
The Ice Bar was also a unique experience in itself, being a real bar made out of ice with a temperature of -15C. It’s a striking and kind of an awesome experience of switching between +45C and -15C. Alcohol certainly helped!
And lastly, the Northern Beach of the Island is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world with clear waters and white sand. (Unfortunately, the amount of people on the beach do ruin the serene experience, however, it is definitely a must-see spot).

Overall, I must say that among all the other all-inclusive hotels we have been to, Excellence Playa Mujeres does indeed stand out. Impeccable service, gorgeous room, delicious food and drinks and an overall atmosphere of pampering do give it the Excellent in Excellence.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
7  Thank Maria P
Reviewed 8 August 2017

Just completed our fifth trip to Excellence Playa Mujeres. It is still spectacular. As an all inclusive, we feel it is the best you will ever experience. The staff at EPM go out of their way to make sure you are having a great vacation. From customer relations to the restaurants, bars, and beach staff, the folks at EPM do what is necessary to make you happy. Lets not forget those greeting you as you arrive, cleaning your room, serving you at the beach or pool and tending to the grounds - everyone makes you feel like you are their most important guest. The beach at EPM is large with plenty of room and lounges. It is long enough for long walks or jogging. The pools are many and kept very clean. Finding something you enjoy eating is not a problem with the many choices of restaurants. The rooms are large and kept clean. There is a room for just about any budget. We enjoy staying in an Excellence Club room.It is a little more expensive but we think it is worth the extra cost. Hugo and Ceasar at the Martini Bar are two of the best bartenders I have ever seen. Carolina in public relations and Pedro at the Excellence Club go the extra mile to make sure your vacation is the best it can be. I can't name everyone but I do know I do not have any complaints about EPM or any of the staff. There are many fine resorts but you will have a hard time finding one with a nicer and more attentive staff than the folks at Excellence Playa Mujeres. It is all great.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank LNK2005
Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

Mexico is a place ill always go back to. It's around 40 mins drive from the airport. We had a good contact with the person collecting us and taking us to the resort.
Once at the resort was greeted by a glass of champagne and was checked in. Then the hotel took over and looked after us. Are bags were taken to are room and we had a person walk us to are room as he pointed out the hotel facilities. We was on anniversary but if I was anyone booking a holiday with excellence I'll say on my anniversary as you get extras haha.
Are room was beautiful where I booked a bottle of champagne on arrival which is included as drink is on tap there. We had a swim up suite which I definitely recommend. But just be aware on the bushes as ants like to get on the bed and eat ya. But apart from that it was perfect.
Make sure you look at the hotel lay out before booking. As if your going for a quite holiday you won't get it if its next to the loud pool near the beach. Where the music is loud and people enjoying them self. Which I say enjoy it but we wanted a quiet holiday. The location is massive and your get lost on your first day but after the second day your have it all planned out.
Make sure you branch out and look about with the restaurants as the grill restaurant is steaks etc. Is with the lobster restaurant. They are side by side and the grill is fab for lunch never got us out of there haha.
The breakfast is great. But we learned now with these excellence hotels is the first morning there get a good lay inn and big breakfast in bed. Then you feel super fresh for the rest of your holiday. We ordered everything for breakfast in bed.
But breakfast in the restaurants are great as there is everything for everyone.
The pools are swim up and bigger one near the beach where there is activity all the time. The bar in the pool is great for catching up with others.
Or go to the beach which you can walk up and down for miles. You can jet ski, boat and glide. All good fun but it comes as a fee and that gets added to your bill. Book it in advance to get a spot also.
The restaurants as mentioned. There is so much selection there and your soon work out what to go back to and not to. The food was top notch and drink was good quality also.
You can book days out which for this holiday we did just one and that was the very long and cheeky trip to the famous pyramid in Mexico. The trip wasn't great as the guild on the coach said to people on the coach be back at a time when stopping in towns etc and no one was ever there on time so less time at the pyramid. The trip was really long and drained the life out of ya. Seeing the pyramid was great but glad it's done but won't do it again.
But loads of things to do in Mexico.
Evenings you can go to the restaurants or bars. Or go out in to town the front desks will give you the details you need like taxi etc. Make sure you get the hotel details like a card or phone number as anything could happen.
We when in to town to watch COCO bongos show. Town was fun and a lot to see. Just be careful with having random pictures with the entertainment around the town as they ask for tips.
If your doing the show get VIP it might be more money but worth it. Your on the sides high up looking down on the stage. Below is a dance floor which is packed and you have to go get a drink when you can. Where VIP is drinks on tap and you get a good seat and get in early to get a good seat. The show was good but! after two hours it's less show more music but easy to there own. We had a great night very sore heads next more. So we did the sensible thing is to get up next more breakfast and drink more in the sun. Bad idea haha.
The location is very secure with guards everywhere. But they are hidden away but are friendly and you feel safe while there.
Make sure you look about the hotel as things are hidden. The main desks as you walk in there is a lift that goes up stairs and up there is a pool room. Internet room. Little cafe which does amazing cake and beverages or smoothies of your taste.
The big lizards that roam around the location love grapes so get a little cup and take them some.

Tipping is a big thing is excellence hotels and I guess if you tip well you get looked after. Depends on how much you want to tip but the yanks out there were tipping crazy money.

By far the best hotel in Mexico for all inclusive and the location is amazing. Enjoy if your going and I hope this review came in handy

Date of stay: September 2016