Excellence Playa Mujeres
Beloved Hotels
US$414
US$334
Bookit.com
Finest Playa Mujeres(Playa Mujeres)
US$485
US$432
Bookit.com
Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa(Playa Mujeres)(Great Value!)
US$245
US$205
  • Pool
US$364
US$312
Hotel Riu Dunamar(Playa Mujeres)
US$249
  • Room Service
US$47
US$36
13,001 results
All reviewsmartini barchez isabelleflavor marketlobsterthe grillsol barrooftop terracemain poolour honeymooncafe kafecarolina pazec poolnon ecroom servicebuilding conciergefrench restaurantswim up room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 April 2010

Our trip was April 4th -18th, we have been to the Excellence Cancun, El Dorado Spa and others. We were looking for a quiet, romantic break from my stressful job
We prefered this hotel to the Ex Cancun, much better location, more spread out and more flowers. We had a terrace room. I had contacted the hotel to ensure we had a quiet room as my hubby is very sensitive to noise and we were given a room that looked directly out to the theatre! Luckily the shows only went on until about 10.30. As we also requested a top floor room we didn't bother changing as some parts of the terrace were compleatly private.
I cannot fault the service, my husband dropped his sunglasses and they found a set of tiny screwdrivers and fixed them! We also went to the managers meeting and commented that the terrace would be more useful if there was some shade and a few days later a sun umbrella arrived!
Food was excellent but some restaurants were booked (60 min wait) and this brings me to my biggest point and will probably be the deciding factor about returning.
Every Thursday to Sunday the hotel was filled by 'groups' ranging from 30 to >100 people. These "groups" then took over some parts of the resort. The first week they had a private function in the Lobster-Grill area and we couldn't even go near there, they had loud music which then clashed with the other music going on for the rest of us in the theatre. The second week we were amazed to see someone we know who was there as their company had booked a 3 day "prize" for good service (30 people).
Again some parts of the resort were closed for photos etc and they booked huge tables in some of the resturants, making for long wait lists, loud groups and very harried serving staff.
For us it really distroyed the romantic feel of the resort. Even the X-bar on the beach was quickly emptied when a goup of 6 giggling girls came in and talked loudly about work issues!
Let me be clear I am not refering to wedding groups, it was sweet to see the wedding parties in there lovely dresses.
If you really want romance I suggest the El Dorado Casitas.
Feel free to contact me with any questions.
Ps it rained for 2 days solid and the hotel reacted very slowly, ie no indoor entertainment was arranged.
I would recommend this hotel if romance wasn't that important to you

4  Thank Suki360
Reviewed 19 April 2010

I recently returned from a week long stay at this resort, I can't wait to go back! I have been a raving fan ever since my plane landed. The resort was everything the virtual tour promised and more! The room was elegant and clean, the shower room was impressive offering both a corded shower head or a separate overhead rain style faucet, it alone was bigger than my walk in closet! There was plenty of room to settle in with dressers and drawers and a walk in closet, no need to live out of a suit case. Even though I was in a standard room, the deck was a nice size with a table and chairs, and had a lovely oversized lounge bed which was my favorite spot to sip my morning coffee and listen to and watch the mocking birds.

The resort itself was beautiful, the grounds were immaculate, and even though we had some rain while there, you could access most of the property via covered walkways. The lazy river pool that flows through the property is really a nice touch. The lounge beds that are scattered throughout the resort truly enhanced the relaxed ambiance. The beach front location is ideal, and our group enjoyed a beautiful evening right on the beach with dinner and dancing - very well done!

What really made the trip for me was the quality of the food and service. I have stayed at 5 star all inclusives in the Mayan Riviera before, but this really put the others to shame. Every meal was a treat to the taste buds, and each server doted on us like we were royalty. We absolutely loved Chez Isabelle the french restaurant!

In effort to make this a fair review, I can be critical in two areas: The beds, while not bad for Mexico, were far too hard for my preference. Even though they had a small pillow top, with the caliber of everything else at the resort, I think they could/should be nicer. My second critique is only an issue because I was sharing my room with a "non-romantic" partner; The bathroom is not a separate room, only a separate space. The shower door, and the toilet door are primarily see through glass. This could be a little awkward for those travelling in a similar circumstance.

Overall, I was extremely impressed with this resort. I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone looking to treat themselves to a relaxing getaway.

• Stayed: April 2010
8  Thank sdoorknob
Reviewed 18 April 2010

We booked this placed based on the outstanding Tripadvisor reviews. We stayed for 8 nights and paid $3900 which included airfare from Seattle. We were in the basic room (Junior Suite). It was really nice and more than adequate for our needs. Ocean view or Rooftop terrace would have been an extra $180 per night and I just couldn't justify the extra cost.

Food: 8 restaurants, 11 bars. The food is amazing!!! All the food is made from scratch (The staff makes the tortilla chips by grinding the corn kernels themselves, the staff makes the chocolate from cocoa beans, all breads and pastries are made fresh each day). Top shelf liquor, all you can drink. Food presentation is great. Dinner restaurants were a bit understaffed, so you might end up waiting longer than you're used to, but there is no reason to be in a rush. . .you're on vacation!

Rooms: All with jacuzzi tubs, stocked mini bars, good size balconies. My only complaint is that our room was cleaned pretty late in the day. . .from 3-6pm.

Room Service: Available 24 hours per day, you could order one of everything on the menu and it would be in your room in 40 minutes or less.

Hotel Grounds: Beautiful location, immaculate landscaping, the beach is great. You can walk for miles on the beach uninterrupted.

Don't pay extra for the Honeymoon Package or the Excellence Package. They don't get you much and they charge an inflated price for the packages. As with all All-inclusive resorts, any extras are EXTREMELY expensive. Some examples include, Laundry service was $3 for one pair of underwear, $5 for a shirt, A bottle of NO-AD brand sunscreen ($5 in the US) was $35.

-The resort is located 45 minutes from the airport and 20 minutes from Cancun.
-Don't book any trips in advance, just book them when you get there (it's cheaper).
-We booked private transportation to and from the airport and it was well worth it. We were transported in a new Mercedes Benz both ways.
-The nighttime shows are pretty amateur as far as the performance goes. The Micheal Jackson show was really good though! If anything, it provided for a nice nighttime social atmosphere with plenty of drinks flowing.

4  Thank corhof
Reviewed 18 April 2010

My husband and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversay at EPM. Upon arrival we were blessed by an upgrade to a roof top room. Everything was wonderful. We will definitely return. We are also looking at visiting their other location in Jamaica. If you are looking for a peaceful, restful and romantic location, this is definitely it. The food, drinks and service were great. Daily and nightly entertainment was fun. Honestly no complaints at all. We did take an excursion to Isle Mujeres. It was okay but we would have been better off never leaving the resort. But you gotta learn. We were fortunate to get wonderful weather. It started raining our last day otherwise I would have talked my husband into missing our plane for a few more days. :0)

4  Thank Hornets123
Reviewed 18 April 2010

Just returned this evening and although the weather didn't cooperate we found the hotel to be beautiful. It was clean, comfortable and upscale in service in all areas except at some of the restaurants where we found the service to be slow. The atmosphere was pleasant - although you could wait for up to 45 mins before the food order was even taken. The food tasted good but arrived cold most times. This was the only disappointment.

Can't complain about the bar/drink service. The servers were very prompt, pleasant and you couldn't complain about lack of drinks...

The spa was absolutely glorious! Well worth it...

The staff were extremely pleasant, friendly and accommodating.

4  Thank jrmbMilton