“Best Vacation We've Ever Taken”

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Reviewed 22 September 2010

We just returned from another fabulous stay at EPM from 9/11 to 9/18. What a wonderful week! Though this review is somewhat long, I’m trying to not duplicate too much of what others have already said so I’m skipping over stuff like the beautiful grounds, seagrass (minimal),etc. Same with the weather (which was fine except for one storm that really only affected one morning).

Room
In advance, I requested to be in building 8 and not on the ground floor and that’s exactly what we got. At first, we were a little disappointed in the location because it was almost the exact opposite of an ocean view. However, seeing that we didn’t book an EC room, we weren’t really surprised. Our room was 8304 and it directly faced the theatre. If we looked off to the right of our balcony, we could see some of the ocean, so as time went on we liked the location more and more. What was especially nice was being able to watch every show from our balcony! Plus building 8 is very central so there were no super long walks.

There are a few things about the room to keep in mind. First—don’t leave the balcony/patio door open indefinitely or the floor will turn into a skating rink (and the AC will automatically shut off). My better half slipped and down he went--that floor is very unforgiving. Should you run into this situation, just get extra towels (a quick call to the concierge results in immediate delivery) and spread them around until things dry off again. Another thing to keep in mind is that there are a couple of chairs near a small dining table and if you slide them around, they make a horrible racket. We heard people beneath us, above us, and next to us—and I’m sure they heard us, too, until we started lifting the chairs to wherever we wanted them.
-The bed. We are used to a very firm bed with a pillow top. This bed was a very firm bed without a pillow top and we had trouble getting good sleep in the beginning of the week. If one or both people are restless, it’s like being in a canoe. You feel every single movement. One night, we were having so much trouble that DH went out onto the balcony with a blanket to sleep on the balcony bed. That turned out to be a mistake--it was the night a huge storm came through so with the rain came mosquitos—he got a few bites. Anyway, one thing we did to improve the situation was calling the concierge for different pillows. That upgrade made a definite difference for the rest of the trip. Bringing earplugs and a fan also worked well for us as we are white noise people due to some snoring issues.
-The mini-fridge. While not super cold, it did the job. We left a note and tip each day and asked for certain items to be restocked. This was always done correctly and promptly plus we had an ice machine about two doors down. I bought gin in the airport so we just mixed a few drinks in the room when we were getting ready or watching the shows from our balcony. Beer crises were quickly resolved with a call to room service (or again, the note near the mini-fridge).

-Breakfast: Definitely try out the room service breakfast. We did this twice—called ahead the night before, placed our order, and requested a time. Both times, they delivered exactly what we ordered within 10 minutes of the requested time—nice and hot, too. As others have mentioned, the French toast is out of this world and if you like Mexican food, they have this ranchero meal that’s basically a fried egg on a corn tort, smothered in a Mexican sauce along with refritos—really good. The rest of the time, we did the Barcelona buffet and it was a nice spread. You could always seem to find something.

-Lunch: We hit the Grill twice and I wanted the grouper sandwich, which was not on the menu, but I had read about it in the reviews so I was hell bent. Of course, due to their superb service, the waiter obliged and it was delicious as others have said. We also had a fajita-like item that was really good and some shrimp cocktail that was marginal (tiny shrimp in a tomato sauce). We also tried the Lobster House twice and I had the Caribbean burrito both times—delicious mahi-mahi while DH had barbecued chicken which also was good. Finally, we hit the buffet one day and they had a really nice spread with good sushi and a mixture of mussels and calamari that they prepared in front of me. Very good. Desserts abounded but we managed to steer around them for the most part. The only other lunch we had was wings poolside with our Trip Advisor friends and they were great!

-Dinner: The only restaurant we missed was Barcelona. Anyway, some highlights—the penne with bleu cheese at Toscana was delicious as was the carpaccio appetizer. At Spice, the appetizer platter was also really good. The surf and turf at the Grill on our last night was really good along with the eggplant parmesan appetizer. Agave, the Mexican restaurant, had a good appetizer (campesinas) along with Aztec soup and farmer’s enchiladas. Chez Isabelle, the French joint, was our second to least favorite. We thought the atmosphere was a little too formal for our liking plus we had chateaubriand that was more like pot roast. It wasn’t horrible, but it just wasn’t quite what we anticipated. Our least fave of all was the Flavor Market. They just didn’t have it together in there—highly understaffed and not well organized. We could see that the food was going to take forever so we tried one appetizer, called it quits in there, and moved on.

In summary on the food angle, we were perfectly satisfied and experienced no ill effects. We did not go into this trip expecting five-star gourmet food that we’d find here in the US so our expectations were set very realistically. We always found something that we liked. What we would do differently next time around is to send back any items we didn’t like and order something else. We’re so not used to doing that that we didn’t even think of it. So overall, they do a great job! Best food I’ve had at an all-inclusive for sure.

Drinks
While at the pool, we had primarily beers all week long and the pool waiters will be happy to bring you a bucket with four iced-down beers at a time. This system worked very well for us—very attentive waiters. Additionally, I tried a few frozen drinks but they aren’t my thing—too sweet. We did see a few people get too carried away with the sweet drinks, resulting in one person getting sick in the bushes and another having to be assisted to her room! Don’t get the wrong picture here, though—this really is not a party resort but it certainly isn’t boring, either. We found the blend to be just right and spent most of our time at the main pool/pool bar area (important side note: the concrete and tile all around the pool area become VERY slick. We saw a number of wipeouts so beware). As far as the room drinks, we had picked up a bottle of Tanqueray when we arrived at the airport and the mini-fridge stocking person was happy to provide tonic after I left a note (and tip) indicating our preferences. We heard a few other people saying that they (non-EC people, I should add) tried to call for a full-sized bottle of wine or their fave liquor and they were told that they’d be charged. I’m sure that there’s a way around this situation if you talk to the right person. However, we found it much easier to just have our own upon arrival. I did order wine one day and they delivered a small bottle of Merlot which was adequate for us.

Chair and Float Hogging
We’re pleased to report that neither of these issues posed much (if any) of a problem for us. Finding good seats by the main pool was absolutely no problem. We’d typically be done with breakfast and in search of a good seat by 9 a.m. and very few people were there. We did see some instances of people reserving seats but generally, it seemed like those who did so were only gone for a short while. As far as the floats, we saw a few displays of aggression but generally, you could find a float and most people seemed willing to share. Our approach was to use one float for the two of us. Most couples seemed to do the same while one group of two couples just insisted on each having their own (which made a substantial dent in the number of available floats)--they retained them for hours on end and were unwilling to share. The bottom line is that there aren’t enough floats (in addition, people haul them off to other pools which makes it worse yet) yet everyone wants one.

Maid and Turn-Down Service
Fantastic overall. Our first day, we left the “ready for service” card in the door first thing in the morning when we headed to the pool. A little before dinnertime, we headed back to the room and encountered the maid doing her thing. Thankfully, she was on the tail end of it and we waited her out on our balcony since we had drank 400 beers all day long in the hot sun and were ready to be parked. This seemed to clue her into our routine so we never ran into this situation again the rest of the week. We tipped her and the mini-fridge person every day. As for turn-down, they only missed it once and we really didn’t care at that point. They all (all staff, that is) did a great job!

At this point, we are still suffering from withdrawal from a fabulous week at EPM and are figuring out our next target date for making reservations. After some brief research on other comparable properties, we quickly decided that EPM has all the attributes that are important to us, so we will be back!!!

5  Thank Snakeeye

Reviewed 22 September 2010

All the positive reviews were right on. Excellence Playa Mujeres is amazing! Our friends told us about it - they loved it when they traveled there so I researched all the all-inclusives in the Cancun area. This resort had the best reviews by far. The staff at the hotel are extremely polite and attentive. Couldn’t have asked for a better place to stay.

Location: This beautiful hotel is in a gorgeous, safe, quiet & secluded location with a very nice beach. We didn’t want to stay in the hotel zone. It took about half an hour to get there from the airport - we used USA Transfers and got a private roundtrip for the best price.

The Room/Food: Our Club room with ocean view was amazing (worth the extra cost) with a nice huge shower, spa tub facing the large patio with a couch you can lay on and enjoy the view. The food was great at all the restaurants (for the most part) & it was nice to have 24-hour room service...the drinks were tasty and plentiful.

Activities: We enjoyed sitting at the beach and spending time in the warm Caribbean sea or floating in the lazy river pool. We went on the bike ride, which was more strenuous than a casual bike ride, but nice. Take a trip to Isla Mujeres (just take cab to Puerto Juarez -10 minutes- and then it’s about $12 roundtrip per person to take the catamaran to the island, takes 30 minutes). Playa Norte (North Beach) is one of a kind and worth the trip.

I highly recommend this place to anyone and have been raving about it ever since we got back.

2  Thank OCgirl2010
Reviewed 20 September 2010

My wife and I just returned from 6 days at EPM Sept 12th-18th. By far the best vacation yet. We stayed at Sandals Negril for our honeymoon and it could not even come close to the level of EPM!! The kicker is EPM was less expensive than Sandals was 10 years ago!
I am not going to repeat all of the same things others have, it is exactly as you see it in the pics, beautiful!! The service is top notch and the food is GREAT! The beach does have some sea-grass some days worse than others and a couple there was none, the water was great and we spent most of our time in the pools.(we didnt find all of them till our 4th day)
If you have a cloudy day just stop by one the the bars and ask for Jimmy or Miguel at the Sol or main pool bar and challenge them to some "bar games"! (you will lose but have a great time doing so) I will add a pic of them.
We did stay in an Excellence Club room, I could have done without but my wife enjoyed it very much so that was good enough for me. Some nice perks and extra pampering that she deserved.
For the first timers book transport ahead of time, we used Grayline Tours through Orbitz where we booked and it was great. Just dont get stuck in the airport by some of the others that say they are with whichever company you have!! There ppl are just inside the airport right when you are going to exit, they grab your bags, ask which tranport company or hotel you have, and when you tell them they say, "yes thats us, right this way". Then they try and sell you tours and time-shares, JUST WALK PAST THEM THROUGH THE DOORS TO THE OUTSIDE where your company will be standing HOLDING SIGNS with the company logo and name. I bit on this knowing it was coming but got out of it rather quickly.

2  Thank Frank J
Reviewed 20 September 2010

I promised myself that I would write a review the second I got back about this resort because I read all the ones before and found them most helpful.

We just got back from EPM, we spent 6 days and 5 nights there. It was AMAZING! I am going to try to highlight all usual points I read here and add some ones I didn’t read.

Staff: They are the best! Seriously! I have been to Mexico several times, I have stayed at other 5 stars and this is seriously the best I have ever found! Here are a couple of examples of the above and beyond, we needed to get cash for the cigar bar and the ATM in the lobby was not working, the bellman walked my husband to the closest one and walked with him back, apologizing over and over for the one in the lobby not working. If you have any issue, at any time in your room and you call the front desk they are there almost as soon as you hang up the phone. The wait staff is the best. The last day we were there we had Edgar in the lobster house, he literally ran to our table if we looked low on water, ran. There were Edgar’s all over the place, but whatever you want, whatever you need, they will do for you. TIP THEM…I can not say that enough…TIP THEM…they work so very hard, for such little money, and a $1 goes a very long way with them.

Beach: The Sea Grass is THERE! If you are looking for Cancun blue water, you are not going to find it. Was it manageable, yes, it got progressively worse as our stay went, but it was from the change in weather systems. We still went in and once you got past the first 2 feet you were fine. It is NOT the end of the world, and I would not use that as a determining factor. There are PLENTY of seats on the beach, under the huts, the seats are comfy, try to find a seat with a pad, the waiters serve you non stop on the beach, Jesus was our man, he would see my husbands bucket of beer dwindling and be there waiting with a new bucket before it would be out. ONE TIP…The resort has sail boats you can use. Now, please note my husband and I are not the “boating” experts so we didn’t want to take it out alone, and the sweetest guy from Aquaworld offered to take us out. He was AMAZING!! Talkative, informative, he showed us a ship wreck, he explained the sea grass, and the difference in water, and he works hard. We tipped him for the trip and he was BEYOND gracious.

Pool: All the pools are great, chairs do not need to be saved, unless you desperately want to be under a hut, in that case you may be able to find one, but it may not be where you want to be for the day. We created a routine as we were there to just relax so we did the main pool in the morning, beach after lunch, and lazy river before going up. It worked for us, and you will notice that a lot of people kind of do the same type of thing there most of the time. The floats are few and far between, and at the start of the day people save them…grrrrr.

Food: The topic everyone wants to know about. Here is a run down of the restaurants and our opinion of them. First let me say this, normally 2 or 3 of them are closed for dinner every night, so what we did was went to the ones we knew we wanted to try the nights that we figured they would be open, and it worked. Toscana, it’s the breakfast buffet and the lunch buffet. We were VERY happy there for both. We tried the Grill for lunch and we both agreed it was bad, we tried Lobster house for breakfast and lunch and it was ok, but the safe bet was Toscana and to be totally honest, we decided that on the last day after we had gone to all the restaurants (basically) that the menu items were on the buffet, some of them at least. So it was nice to be able to try the different dishes, especially since we knew we were not going to make it to all the restaurants. They do make to order fresh seafood and it was THE BEST! The Lobster House, lunch as I said was ok, the dinner was not much better (in my opinion) I grew up eating lobster from New Hampshire and Maine, so I am a bit snobby when it comes to lobster. My husband said he loved it though. He had 2 different kinds, and he was pleased with both. We did not do the Grill for dinner (the steak house), to be fair, it is probably really good, but after lunch there I didn’t want to waste one of our dinners there. Barcelona, we never ate there, it looks great, but we didn’t make it there either. Spice, was ok. I am not a huge sushi eater, but I was not blown away by my meal or the sushi. It was just ok. Agave, amazing!! The margaritas are super! I drank Sangria…I didn’t find that drink until our last day, but I wish I found it sooner, it was SO GOOD! The fajitas were the best. I am from Texas so I know my Mexican and my Tex-Mex and this was so good!! Chez Isablle, GO THERE…go there 2 times if you have time. It is superb!! The food, the ambiance, the waiters, the menu, the FRENCH ONION SOUP! If I could have figured out a way to smuggle it in to the USA I would it was that amazing!! The Flavor Market, it was really good. However, it is SMALL portions, so what we did was we used it as a “happy hour” before a light dinner. It was good. It was very, very good! We did room service the first night; it was really good as well. We never did the breakfast but it looks like lots of people do.

DRINKS: It is top shelf, there is variety in the drink menu, and they do exactly what you want when it comes to how you like your drink made. My favorites were the Gin Fizz (on the rocks), the Cadillac Margarita, and the Sangria. There is a bar in the lobby (Martini Bar) and the cute little bartenders there are very kind, and very attentive. The very talked about MONKEY DRINK…here is what I watched, and did. We would be at the pool during the morning, they do water aerobics at 12:00 every day in that pool, and the monkey drink was handed out at noon. So, if you want one, they make 15-20 maybe. SOL BAR by the pool is where we got them, you have to LINE UP starting around 11:45 and they thankfully ask that you take one per couple which is really nice. They will refill the monkey all day for you if you want. We only got (2) the first day I didn’t figure out the “process” so we only got a tiny pineapple, so I was on a mission on day 2 and I scored the REAL Monkey drink.

Work out Facility: It was really nice. We work out daily, so we wanted to do some type of work out on vacation. They have all the classes you could want, I didn’t attend any, but the machines were great, and the weights were good. So, if you want to include that in your vacation trust that you will be satisfied with the facilities. Of course the EPM way, there were cool wet towels, there was a fridge of cold water, and the lemon flavored water is great as well.

Room: We did NOT care about the room, the view or much else in that department, we were there to sleep. However, we were beyond pleased. We were in building 7, we overlooked the lazy river/spa pool. We could hear the night entertainment, but it was not a bother, it was drowned out by the TV if you wanted it to be. The reviews are all true, the shower has clear glass looking INTO the room, the toilet door is a swinging door with frost only in the middle so you can see the person using the restroom, the “suns” you see over the head of your bed is the only real wall to the bathroom. My husband napped every afternoon, (had to regroup for the night) and he joked about all my clanging around in the bathroom as I was getting ready. The shower head, amazing, the toiletries, amazing, the robe and slippers great!

HUGE TIP! We did a private transport from the Airport to the Hotel and Back. We booked through LOOMIS TRAVEL. They were inexpensive and worth it!! Do it! It really will make the beginning and end of your trip stress free!

Office/Internet: We did NOT bring our laptops. However, a few times we wanted to check in, upstairs in the main building there is an internet lounge, there are 5 computers and in the time we were there we NEVER waited to get on. It was free, and painless, and it was nice to be able to jump on quick and leave. They also have a "book" library (must be ones guests have left) but in the event that you read everything you bring you can pick out a new one to read while you are there.

As you can tell I have NOTHING bad to say. I will have a really hard time NOT staying at an Excellence Resort in the future. We will go back here for sure! Our next vacation is in the resort in Punta Cana and we can not wait!

3  Thank LDKansasCity
Reviewed 19 September 2010

First, let me thank "Trip Advisor”. After reading every single review possible, my expectations were extremely high and we weren’t disappointed at all! If anything, my husband and I were in complete awe when we arrived! Now for the best part, ahhhhh, Excellence Playa Mujeres......Speechless, simply wonderful!

Staff: as soon as you arrive, your greeted, "Hola, welcome home". You are immediately giving warm towels and glasses of champagne as the host escorts you to check in. Every single staff of EPM was courteous, friendly, patient and completely professional. Although this is an all inclusive resort, tipping is much appreciated. The staff work hard at pleasing you and strive to make your stay memorable. Security is extremely tight; you pass three security gates before entering EPM.

Room: we originally booked a basic room but decided to upgrade to a two-story rooftop room when we arrived. We decided against the excellence club and didn’t see much difference in amenities. However, by the end of the trip, my always hungry husband wished that we had the upgraded room service menu that is offered to exc club members. The room was soooooo awesome! The bed was huge and firm (we slept like babies) Being married for ten years, the proximity of the toilet area to the bedroom didn’t bother us one bit. Just turn the TV up loud and light some incense. My husband did enjoy the two -way glass window in the shower area that allows you full view of the bedroom including the TV.

Cleanliness: the room was immaculate and tidied up twice daily. I observed several workers with their bodies hanging half over 4th floor balconies in an attempt to clean glass. The minibar in your room is always stocked and plenty of clean towels to go around. The pools, restaurants, sitting areas, bars, outside bathrooms and beach were almost perfect. If you’re a snob, you may find fault but for the price, this place cannot be beat! **bring candles or air fresheners as it is extremely humid there which may make your room smell a bit**

Food & Drinks: a drinker’s delight! Plenty of top shelf options to choose from. The bars open as early as 9am so be prepared. Monkey drink is worth getting if you want to experience something new. I recommend hibachi at Spice Restaurant and as much as you can eat lobster for dinner at the Lobster House. 24 hour room service is offered for all guests and is a must-try for breakfast in bed, on your rooftop/balcony or for lunch by your pool side swim-up room.

Beach & Pools: the beach was beautiful. It was very clean and yes, one day seaweed washed a shore (no big deal). Be prepared to deal with seat hogs and floatie jackers at the pool areas. Guests reserved seats under shady huts by placing books, towels and clothes on lounge chairs which was annoying particularly when they didn’t return for several hours. Don't fret, there were plenty of seats and pool beds available just not in the areas closest to the pool bars or swim up bar. Floaties are great pool toys for adults so get one and allow it to take you on a journey around the lazy river. They go fast so don’t leave yours unattended, "it will get hijacked!"

Shows/Entertainment: We saw the Mexican Folklore and Michael Jackson shows. I highly recommend them. Nightly music under the stars at Cafe Kafe was enchanting. If you’re into club dancing and videos, visit the Alegra Bar which has a live DJ every night and is open till 1am.

Weather: sunny everyday, all day. High 90's so bring plenty of sunscreen and bug spray for the nightly mosquitos.

Airport/Transportation: upon arrival at the airport, immigation was a breeze and be sure to walk straight out of the airport to your transportation as you may be accosted by locals attempted to scam you, "beware of the beige pants and white shirts". It's a 30min ride from the airport to the resort so we decided to take advantage of the private transportation offered by the resort for $138 bucks. We feel that it was worth it. The driver arrived at the airport in a tinted Excursion and we left the resort in a tinted Lincoln town car. We saw that the same service may be offered for a cheaper price, if you can get it, definitely do it! No hassle by locals and you can have peace of mind.

Special cable channels: channel 49 and 50 are special channels for guests who are into spicing up their love life. We found it interesting to say the least!

Overall, EPM receives 5 out of 5. They treat you like royalty and it's going to be hard to vacation at any other resort without comparing the Excellence experience. My husband and I are already planning our return to EPM next summer. We can't wait and are referring everyone there :)

2  Thank alfredosanch
Reviewed 17 September 2010

So many people already wrote so many reviews
and most of them are very correct so i got not much to say.
i was actually gonna write a long review but there are too many of them.

I am 26, i was there for 5 days beginning of Sept.
If you are a partying person and if you want to go crazy
dont go to EPM.. but if you are tired of working every day or studying
and you want to relax and enjoy your 5 days vacation. get yourself to EPM right now.

This place is amazing, so relaxing and everything is there for you.
from amazing restaurants to nice heated pool to beaches...
you name it. I went to few resorts before but service at EPM is amazing.
some people wrote about stealing, but did not notice any and i can't believe
these people to be stealing, service was top notch.

food was not so amazing amazing but for the price we paid to this trip,
it's more than enough and i am missing my steak at the Grill.
waiters are funny and friendly as well..

wow.. i got so much to say, but its going to take me too too long to mention everything.
you just get there and will enjoy your holidays.. only if you are there to relax and really
enjoy your holidays.. If you want crazy parties and clubbing, go to the hotel zone :)

EPM, it was definitely a trip to remember. Thank you

3  Thank LoveEunA
Reviewed 17 September 2010

We just returned from a fantastic vacation at EPM. In our opinion, everything was 5 star, from the exceptional food at all restaurants, to the elegant rooms, beautiful grounds, well run activities, friendly people, etc. We stayed at the resort and did most activities, including sailing the Hobie Cat every day, kayaking, windsurfing, water aerobics, water volleyball, beach volleyball, bike ride (bikes were nice – newer than in pictures), rifle shooting, archery, gym (kept too warm but good equipment), and aqua fitness. It was too hot for tennis and ping-pong for us, but they were available also. We did not feel pressure to tip for anything, as the resort is ‘all inclusive’. Waiters waited on us at all bars and restaurants like we were kings and queens. The grounds seemed much more tropical than the pictures on the web site, and everything was kept very clean. Room service was much better than other places we have been to. You could have your order delivered to a cubby access area (shared between the outside of your room and inside with a locked door to the inside and outside) at a certain time, and every time we ordered it was delivered within 2 minutes of the time it was supposed to be. You could then set your dirty dishes back in the cubby and the waiters would pick up the plates --- much nicer than setting things outside your door. You could also have the waiters bring the food inside your room and they would set everything up for you. The quality of the room service food was excellent, in addition to the choices.

My wife lost her watch one afternoon, and we were pleased to find out in the evening after calling the front desk that someone had turned it in to lost and found. We were also impressed with the lounging beds throughout the facility (even on the beach). All in all, everything at the resort was spectacular and we would highly recommend it to any of our friends.

One recommendation that would have made the trip even better would have been to have had the transportation from the airport to the resort (30 min drive) and back included in the package cost. It was very inconvenient for us to have to arrange for this, as you can spend $138 round trip to have the private service arranged through the resort, $69 round trip to have private service through USA Transfers (and other companies I’m sure), or $34 round trip to have shared service through USA Transfers (and others I’m sure). We opted for the $69 option through USA Transfers. They were very prompt, sent us correspondence on exactly what to do and what to watch out for (pirating at the airport – people try to lure you to their service and then charge $80 for a one way taxi drive). We had nice vans both ways with good a/c, not overly talkative drivers, etc. I’m sure the less expensive option through them would have been fine, but we didn’t want to risk the possibility of multiple stops along the way.

One final comment, make sure you bring your own sun tan lotion, or be prepared to spend $25 for 8.5 fl oz of NO-AD sun block.

3  Thank runwwind
#1 of 177 in Cancun
Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!