“Great view, poor service.”

Trattoria del Buongustaio
Ranked #13 of 33 Restaurants in Nai Harn
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Best Italian restaurant with a amazing seaview terrace of Nai Harn Bay - Phuket. We are specialized in seafood, traditional Italian dishes and pizza.
Grimsby, United Kingdom
“Great view, poor service.”
Reviewed 2 March 2013

We visited this restaurant last night, the view over the bay is absolutely stunning, but thats were it ends. The meal ordered we waited a good 20 minutes for some brusetta, than had to wait a further 25 minutes for our main course. Mine arrived which I will say was a very nice rissotto but my husbands was a good 5 minutes behind. When it arrived (salmon ravioli) the centre was cold, not acceptable. They did offer a replacement but we declined. Won't be returning as anything over 2 people to serve and they struggle to cope. Real shame as it is a beautiful location.

• Visited March 2013

“Great view, terrible food and service”
Reviewed 3 December 2012

This evening my family and I decided to eat at Trattoria del Buongustaio after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor. I can honestly say it was one of the worst food experiences I have had since we have been in Thailand over the last week. Most of the reviews I had read were mostly excellent or good. How could the reviews be so far off from my experience? The wait staff was not very well trained and when I asked if we could get "fettuchine alfredo" instead of their gorgonzola pasta dish she had no idea what I was talking about. OK maybe she only knew what was on the menu (no matter)! I then asked about the linguine vongole (pasta with clams). She said the clams were of a larger size and I said OK by me. An hour after we ordered I then was presented with pasta with shrimp and zuchinni. I asked the server where were my pasta and clams? The server then looked at me like "I don't know" so I ate it anyway. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't what I ordered. The meat in the the bolognese sauce had that "dogfood" taste...for those of you who have had that taste, you know what I am talking about! Also they had a "ceasar salad" on the menu. We odered two to share. Again it wasn't a bad salad, but the only resemblence it had to being a "ceasar salad" was that it was a salad!
I like small businesses to do well, however, I hate consumers to be mislead. If you decide to go to Buongustaio be prepared to bring your checkbook for a bad experience! Perhaps it was a bad night and if you go I hope yours is better!

• Visited December 2012
3 Thank Mayneman
“Best Gnocchi ever”
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Found this little restaurant recently on visit to Thailand. The most fabulous Gnocchi with a Gorgonzola cream sauce. Valentina and the staff were fantastic and will definitely be going back. Fantastic setting by the sea.

Gold Coast
“Best Italian on Phuket!!”
Reviewed 25 July 2012

This place is a Gem. We have eaten here twice now and the food is fantastic. It's a bit out of the way at Nai Harn just past the Yacht Club, but well worth the trip and the walk up the steep stairs. You are met with a million dollar view at very moderate prices. The host Valentina is as attentive as any 5 star restaurant and the food is exceptional. Try the gnocchi with Gorgonzola, the best anywhere in the world. The pesto Putensca is also top class and their fish specials are the quality of any restaurant. We will continue to eat at this place as it surpasses all the others such as Amalfi and DaVinci. Try it, you will not be disappointed. ( we're going back again tomorrow night!! )

• Visited July 2012
Rawai, Thailand
“Nice Seaview and good Italian Food”
Reviewed 31 May 2012

The view over the sea to Nai Harn Beach is fantastic - but it was too windy to sit outside. The Service was OK and the free starter Bruschetta excellent. Also the bread and Foccacia were free fresh and tasty. Then the Spaghetti Carbonara and the Tagiatelle with Parma Ham and Mushrooms came. Both with too much of Oil and of average taste. A Glass of Wine for 150 Baht is too much for the quality. Maybe it's because it was a low season day, we were the only guests, and the Italian Chef was not there. After all the good reviews I read here, I was a bit disappointed of the place, but I will go again.

• Visited May 2012