“Disappointed”
Review of Sunsuri Phuket

Sunsuri Phuket
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Nai Harn
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Apparently the hotel is fully booked but we didn’t see many hotel guests and it felt pretty quiet, which is what we’re after. Grateful for the in-room check in so we could cool down right away from the long drive. The balcony is huge, a nice place to relax and watch the pool activities. The pools are great that they’re not so deep so we could stand and play with the kids. A lot of the good points have already been mentioned and we do agree and some.

But there’s a need to point out some of the shortcoming as well, and here’s a few. There isn’t a toilet at the pool level, one must walk around and climb 2 levels up to get to the closest one. My 4yo son, being a kid, waited to the last minute before deciding he needed to use the toilet. In a haste to get to the toilet he slipped on the pool side concrete floor and landed hard on his bottom and cried his heart out. On our way back to the pool another hotel guest nearly did the same but luckily she managed to find a railing to hold on to. I mentioned this to one of the staff and she said many guest has said the same about the slippery pool side concrete floor.

Breakfast selection is very limited, and if one comes at 9.30am for breakfast the selection gets even smaller. But I supposed this is good to prevent food wastage. Btw there’s a need to placed tongs for fruits at a level high enough for kids to see and use. I saw a 6 or 7 yo girl going through the fruits with her bare hand looking for the best pieces. I had to reach up to the tongs and told her to use it.

There some inconsistencies in the food and drinks. We ordered the same mocktail at Sail and the bar above the pool, but they taste so different. Another mocktail ordered at the same 2 place comes in diff size glass, Sails serve it in a short glass which is half the volume we get at the bar which left us feeling ripped off.

Food ordered by the pool took a long time to arrive and when it did it was the wrong one and we had to wait longer for the right order to come. My son is a fussy eater and he loves noodle and won’t have any veggies or meat. The pad se ew we ordered from room service had measly amount of noodle (fit into 120ml cup) we had to order a 2nd one, this time with instruction to add more noodle and take off the meat but this doesn’t seemed to add much noodle (fit into 150ml cup). So the next day we were in Sail for dinner I asked the staff for the same dish w/o all the veggies/meat/egg hoping for a decent amount of noodle, at first she came with half serve of noodle (fried with oil and nothing else), I said I want a full serving and for it to be cooked with the usual pad se ew sauce. My husband even joked that he didn’t realized in Phuket noodle is more expensive than veggies or meat.

Some food/drink we ordered weren’t available some days such as banana smoothies (no ripe banana available), young coconut juice, mango in sticky rice. We were so disappointed we had to go out of the hotel to get them, what a bother.

The room wall seemed thin enough for us to be able to hear the conversation next door, this slightly bothered my son when he tried to go to sleep at night. I supposed our 10mth old wailing in the middle of the night may have also woken up the neighbor.

My husband wanted to have a massage on a Saturday (while the kids were napping), but was told that the spa is closed for renovation. He tried again on Sunday and got the same answer. I would’ve thought weekend would be the busiest day for spa, or am I wrong to assume that?

Short black out seemed to happen at least once a day, it maybe due to the heavy downpour.
On the last night of our stay I went down early around 4.30pm to take my 10month old daughter to the playroom before dinner. From the 3rd floor the lift door closed and decent for about a foot before it stopped and the light went out. I thought it’ll be another short black out and I didn’t want to panic. But after 30seconds I couldn’t help it and started to panic as it was hot and pitch black in the lift and I felt through all the buttons to look for the bell which didn’t seem to work. I managed to open the inside lift door with one hand and a leg while holding on to my daughter with the other. Then I tried to open the outside lift door which won’t budge and will only open enough to poke through my fingers. I started to scream for help as I heard someone is passing by, luckily it was one of the staff and she was kind enough to stay with me while making the necessary phone call for help. I was told I was stuck in the lift for about 5mins but it certainly felt longer than that. I didn’t manage to find out the name of the staff but forever grateful that she stayed with me through the short ordeal.

We didn’t know there would be a lot of stairs, hence not so convenient for less mobile person ie. those with cane, wheel chair, or baby strollers.

I wouldn’t normally bother with writing any review, but since there are so many positive reviews our expectation was so high and quite disappointed with all the issue that came up.

Btw, cold towels and drinks on arrival are pretty much standard at the other hotels we stayed in Phuket. The staffs are friendly and we felt like they would like to make a conversation but their English aren’t good enough for them to do so.

Room Tip: ask for Block 1 for seaview. Superior rooms are closest to the pool.
1  Thank Yashinta L
USP_General_Manager, General Manager at Sunsuri Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Dear Yashinta L,

Greetings from U Sunsuri Phuket.

I would like to begin by offering a word of thanks for your detailed review of your stay at U Sunsuri. Even though to date the comments we receive have been overwhelmingly positive I appreciate your in-depth feedback and suggestions as it allows us to attend to any issues observed thus ensuring our dedication to the complete satisfaction of our guests remains our prime goal.

I would like to offer my sincerest apologies that there were certain aspects of your stay that disappointed you. To show U Sunsuri’s sincerity and transparency if I may take this opportunity to reply to you on a point by point basis rather than just issue a generic “cut and paste” apology to show all our current and future guests our best intentions at all times.

We are aware of the slippery surface around the pool area and as our guests’ safety is a top priority have already laid some artificial grass around this area. We are also painting areas around the pool with a non-slip paint but, due to the inclement weather that Phuket undergoes at this time of year and so as to not disturb our guests by maintenance disruption, this will take a short time to complete.

I regret that you considered our breakfast selection to be limited as we decided on a “quality over quantity” concept which means that rather than have a buffet line up of uninspiring lukewarm offerings as found in other hotels we provide only the freshest fare available including eggs, pancakes and crepes prepared a la minute, fresh juices, a wide selection of bakery items and homemade jams plus other breakfast staples. Plus we also offer the U hotels and resorts concept of breakfast served a la carte anytime and anywhere throughout the resort for those who wish to dine at their convenience. However your comment regarding the lack of items at a later time have been well received and discussed with my Executive Chef and we will also be providing tongs at the fruit section.

The reason that we use 2 different types of container for our mocktails is for safety purposes around the pool where we use plastic ware instead of glass. Of course they should both contain equal measures and I have spoken to my Food and Beverage Manager regarding this oversight.

I have also held a meeting with my Food and Beverage Manager and Executive Chef regarding your comments over the slow service and quantity of food you ordered for their immediate action.

I am sorry that some of the fruit drinks you desired were not available on that day but, as we only serve fruit that are fully ripened or in season, if the best quality cannot be purchased we would rather not serve it than present a sub-standard beverage to our guests.

Your comment regarding your ability to hear the neighbouring room has been well noted and although we have not received any similar comments are looking at ways this can be rectified to ensure our guests’ peace and quiet.

I must apologise and admit to some confusion over your comment regarding the closure of the spa as we have three treatment rooms of which only one is temporarily closed for repair. Possibly there was a miscommunication problem as we recommend our guests to book in advance to avoid disappointment rather than turn up expecting to find a therapist available. I will brief my spa team on ensuring that the guest is completely clear on the current situation so there is no confusion.

Unfortunately short electrical black-outs are a common occurrence in Phuket due to outside problems from the local electricity generating authority. We do have a backup generator which needs a spare part fitted and we are waiting for a “lull” in occupancy to shut down the power for a couple of hours to repair and minimize the inconvenience to our guests.

I was extremely concerned with your experience with the lift and your understandable unease as, during a situation such as you experienced, the lift should automatically return to the ground floor and open its doors. I ordered an immediate investigation with our lift installers regarding this and their findings show that the UPS back-up system has a fault which they are in the process of rectifying.

I regret that there were some communication problems with my staff and as we have not received any other comments over this therefore if you could kindly find the time to contact me via gm@usunsuriphuket.com with the exact areas where you experienced issues I would greatly appreciate it and will take action in introducing extra training for those members of staff concerned.

May I end by saying that I hope my explanations over your comments are satisfactory because I can only reiterate that both myself and the entire U team are solely dedicated to your complete satisfaction.

It was an absolute pleasure to serve both you and your family and we hope that on your next trip to Phuket you would do us the honour of choosing us as your accommodation once again.

There are newer reviews for Sunsuri Phuket

Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this brand new hotel for 4 nights and would have had a perfect stay if it hadn't have been for one issue the aircon. Our room simply was warm all the time, the aircon in the hotel rooms are set to a range of 22-25 degrees. We checked with reception if this was the case when we tried to make our room cooler and they confirmed that it was. The hotel did sent up an engineer to check out the aircon, they then confirmed in a letter that the aircon was fine - well not if you want your room cool it isn't! It was worse during the night when for whatever reason it rose to 25 degrees and literally felt like you had hair dryer blowing on you. Don't get me wrong the temperature in the rooms might not bother some, but we became pretty sleep deprived.

The hotel has many great points:
Breakfast was great.
The gym was fantastic, high end equipment and all brand new.
The layout of the pool has been thought about carefully. It has clearly been designed to cater for both couples and families, families tended to stay at one end where all the slides and fun stuff were. This left other parts of the pool really quiet and relaxing.
The staff were friendly and showed concern about the aircon situation, but ultimately there was nothing they could do.

The only even better if...
The aircon

Would I recommend this hotel? Yes if you can cope with a warm room!

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank Shirleypage

Dear Shirleypage,

Greetings from U Sunsuri Phuket.

Thank you so much for your insightful comments into your stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience at U Sunsuri with your fellow Trip Advisor travelers.

I must sincerely apologize for the discomfort our A/C caused you and further apologize for my late response to your review. This is due to the fact that we have been attempting to find out the cause of the problem so I would have something to share with you rather than a generic apology which in my opinion wouldn’t really be satisfactory.

Before replying to you both my Chief Engineer and I conducted a thorough investigation of our cooling system and A/C units. We discovered that some of our temperature sensors were not placed in the right locations or had an intermittent fault causing the A/C to behave erratically. We also found out that the sensor on the sliding door to your terrace, for instance, did not always work as it should. Our sliding doors are equipped with a sensor so when the door is opened our A/C cooling system stops and only the fan works and this is what we believe happened in your case.

We are now in the process of checking each and every room to ensure no other guests experience such discomfort. My profound thanks for bringing this matter to my attention.

I deeply regret that you had to endure a disturbed sleep and that we were not able to solve this problem whilst you were staying with us. If you could kindly find the time to contact me via gm@usunsuriphuket.com, to further discuss your experience with us, I would greatly appreciate it.

I would like to end by saying that it was a genuine pleasure to serve you and your friend as our honored guests and we look forward to seeing you again in the very near future on your next visit to Thailand.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

Room:
Comfortable bed, large size bath room with a very large rain shower. Free wifi very convenient.
Large balcony with a bigh sofa and a fan on the ceiling, a very nice view over the Nai Harn Lake, the nearby mountains and the sea far away. You could have a little drink and enjoy the view and fresh breeze in the morning and at night.
Useful stuff like beach slippers, electric mosquito killers, big umbrellas, coffee machine and drip coffee. They also provide two free drinks or beers per room per stay. Adequate drink water by the way.

Service:
Very nice service from all the stuff, especially Molly who could speak a little Chinese. She is very kind and warm hearted. Tuk tuk driver took our familly to the beach even not at schedual one time. And the kids club is great. My daughter love there. The pool is not very busy and great too.

Food:
Good breakfast. Great food at the Sail resteraunt, although a bit expensive, but acceptable for one or two times.

Location:
Far away to the city center, but close to the beautiful Nai Harn Beach and Nai Harn Lake, which are tranquil. There is a small lagoon next to the beach which is very shallow and many kids play in the lagoon everyday.
For mobility, there are two options. One is to use the free bike to the nearby beach and village. You can get to some good coffees etc. and 7-11 just 15 minutes by bike. But the road is narrow and with busy trffic, so better to be very careful. Second is to take a taxi, 300 to rawai, 600 to phuket town center, and the price could be a bit lower according to discussion.

Room Tip: Rooms at building no. 1 have sea view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
USP_General_Manager, General Manager at Sunsuri Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Dear Guests,

Tropical greetings from sunny Phuket.

May I begin by thanking you for writing a review on this website informing other readers about your stay at U Sunsuri Phuket. Comments such as yours are an inspiration to both myself and my U Colleagues as we endeavor to offer our guests a superlative experience during their time with us.

In a U hotel or resort the one overwhelming factor that defines us is our complete and utter dedication to the service of our guests. Our commitment to each and every guest is such, that we make it a mission to ensure that Your needs are both anticipated and fulfilled as well Your expectations exceeded, through personalized, gracious and friendly service.

I fully appreciate that a holiday is a considerable expense for many people and feel that if we do not offer a stay that lives up to our guests’ expectations we should not be in the hospitality business.

We hope that on your next visit to Thailand you would do us the honor of staying with us once again.

The entire U team are waiting to welcome you soon again.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

We're just coming to the end of a week's family holiday at U Sunsuri. We cannot fault it. The staff recruitment and training must be first class because every member of staff goes out of their way all the time to anticipate and meet your needs eg cold towels and water bottles at reception when you come back from a trip.They take time to talk to you and even ask you if you have any criticisms so they can make things better. Understandably they encourage you to use hotel services (restaurants, limo, spa etc) but will help just as much if you say you want to try cheaper places or call a local taxi. The free bikes are in perfect order and ideal for getting to sights, shops etc. The local Nai Harn beach has nice restaurants within walking distance. Rawai village is 10 minutes away by taxi, you can buy fresh fish on the sea front there and any restaurant will cook it for you. We did trips to Phuket Old Town, Patong and an elephant trek but also spent more time by the pool than usual because it is fabulous, clean and not crowded. The internet/wi-fi were fine nearly all the time for us.

Room Tip: We were in the hillside block with the games room which was fine and convenient for getting to the p...

Dear Guests,

Tropical greetings from the beautiful island of Phuket.

May I begin by saying how much I appreciate our valued guests taking the time to write about their visit to Phuket and U Sunsuri. A sincere personal “thank you” for doing this.

At U Sunsuri we follow the brand standard and core value of our parent company in ensuring that our guests experience the best possible example of the world-renowned Thai hospitality and superlative service. Our entire U team was chosen for not only for their own particular skill in the hospitality field but also because they showed a heartfelt dedication in providing U Sunsuri’s visitors with a memorable holiday.

Your extremely kind words go towards showing us that we made the right decision in selecting our staff and I would also like to extend my personal thanks to them for being an absolute pleasure to work with.

We certainly hope that on your next visit to Thailand you’ll visit us again where you will be assured a very warm U welcome.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

I visited the hotel last july with my whole family.
We traveled with a 10 year old boy, and I can say the hotel is completly kids friendly.

Breakfast is great! nice and clean.
Bedrooms are nice, a little dark though.

The only thing is that internet and wifi works horrible!!!!!
We could never get the wifi to work in our room, they have a complete modern system, blabla... never worked.

The pool is great!
Kids have jumping spots (5 meters high) and slides to have fun with.
They also give you free bikes to ride and get to know the area. Although there is nothing more to see near the hotel, you need to catch a taxi.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Camila G

Dear Guests,

Tropical greetings from U Sunsuri Phuket.

We hope you had a safe return home and wish to thank you for your insightful review and for taking the time to share your experience at U Sunsuri with fellow Trip Advisor travelers. Your feedback is invaluable to us and helps us overcome issues we are not aware of in order to enhance our services and ensure the satisfaction of each and every guests staying with us…after all, “Details makes the world of difference!”

I sincerely apologize for the WIFI problems you have encountered which caused you some discomfort. Unfortunately we do not have a record of you mentioning this to the front desk as we would have taken immediate action to remedy to the problem or moved you to another room.

If you could kindly find the time to contact me directly via gm@usunsuriphuket.com with your room number, I will instruct my IT team to rectify the issue for the comfort of our future guests. Many thanks for bringing this matter to my attention.

I would like to end by saying that it was a genuine pleasure to serve you as our honored guests and we look forward to seeing you again in the very near future on your next visit to Thailand.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

Stayed between August 4-6. Was greeted immediately by hotel staff as friendly as can be. Checkin was a breeze and we were in our room in minutes. Although steep hillside but the layout and views were spectacular. If you do not want to walk up to your room the have electric carts taking you in front of the building. Indeed this is not a beach front property however only minutes away walking to a beautiful and quiet beach. It's like a beach for locals and not crowded with people or shops. All rooms have incredible views of the beach. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Breakfast was included and adequate for this type of hotel ( could have had more selection but still plenty ) Their fresh fruit juices were delicious! Did not eat dinner here but the restaurant had only a few tables occupied. Did not have time to use their bicycle which is free to ride around the area . There is still construction on the rooms at the upper part of the hill which did not bother or cause any inconvenience. Beautiful pool with a water slide for the kids. Did not use the game room or fitness which his brand new .
I have been to Phuket many times and can say that this is one of the best and will definitely stay here again if I ever come back. Limited information about island tours and seems to be pricey than other advertised tours. No convenienant store close by to buy stuff. You will need transportation to eat out.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ticky A
USP_General_Manager, General Manager at Sunsuri Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Dear Guests,

Greetings from the beautiful island of Phuket.

General manager

Reviewed 8 August 2013

Stayed in this resort for two nights just last week with my university friend. We were pleasantly surprise by the warm hospitality the staffs showed upon our arrival, and how attentive they were in responding our queries. For example, I was casually asking about the spa package that the resort is offering. By the time we came back from our swim in the pool late in the evening, the pamphlet of the spa package together with fresh fruits were already neatly placed on the table for us to study. Praise must be given to Ms Molly who attended us on the day when we checked-in.

Generally, I am quite pleased with the resort's facilities and services. However it is not without its buts. The room aircon, as highlighted by some other travelers, is a bit noisy. And that is fine as long as it constantly pumps out chilled air....which unfortunately is not the case! The temperature in the room steadily climbed to 27 degree C at night and I had to wake up twice to check what went wrong with the aircon...as I was fuming and sweating on my bed! No matter how I tried to lower down the aircon temperature control it just didn't work, until I was too exhausted and decided to just open the balcony door to let natural breeze to come in. And the aircon will miraculously work and become colder in the day time. To be honest, we were not at all pleased with what we experienced as I have very low tolerance for staled and warm air when I am sleeping.

The other negative point for the room that we stayed: the bathroom emits foul smell early in the morning despite it being sparklingly clean. We couldn't figure out what caused the smell but suspect it might be something to do with the sewerage down pipe which is not properly connected. The strange thing is it doesn't emits foul smell all the time, only in the morning when we were brushing our teeth and taking the morning shower. Perhaps it was due to other guests in the resort taking shower at the same time and thus heavy water influx to the sewerage system?

Location wise, the resort is considered out of range from most tourist spots in Phuket, and not all taxi drivers know where it is. You have to tell them it is located near to Nai Harn Resort or the Royal Phuket Yacht Club. I will recommend this resort to anyone who wants to just relax and not wanting to engage in any kind of activities.

Room Tip: Get a room at lower level if you do not fancy taking the stairs up to your room or to the swimming p...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank leohanwoori
USP_General_Manager, General Manager at Sunsuri Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Greetings from U Sunsuri Phuket.

Thank you so much for your insightful review and for taking the time to share your experience at U Sunsuri with your fellow Trip Advisor travelers. Your feedback is invaluable in that it allows us to maintain the reputation we have received so far for our high standards of service and comfort and more importantly shows us in which areas we can enhance our guests’ U experience.

It was a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay and our prompt and swift follow-up on your inquiry about our SPA.

I must sincerely apologize that the air conditioning in your room caused you some discomfort as well as the smell in the bathroom. Unfortunately we do not have a record of you mentioning this to the front desk as we would have taken immediate action to remedy to the problem or moved you to another room.

As you kindly mentioned, there has been a few customers experiencing similar issues with their A/C units, therefore, I have held a meeting with my Chief Engineer and discussed your comments at length to ensure such situations do not occur in the future. Many thanks for bringing these matters to my attention.

If you could kindly find the time to contact me directly via gm@usunsuriphuket.com with your room number I will instruct my engineering team to rectify the issue for the comfort of our future guests.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nai Harn
Pullman Phuket Arcadia Naithon Beach
THE NAI HARN
THE NAI HARN
#1 of 6 in Nai Harn

Been to Sunsuri Phuket? Share your experiences!