“lovely hotel , bar and restaurant” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Little Thatch Hotel Gloucester

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Little Thatch Hotel Gloucester
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Quedgeley
Reading, England, United Kingdom
“lovely hotel , bar and restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

Very quaint pub with lots of character . Staff are very friendly and polite . The bar is well stocked and very clean . We did not eat in the restaurant but the food they served looked delicious . We paid £50 for one night plus a £3 suppliment each to have a full english breakfast . The room was spotlessly clean and of a decent size . The bed was very comfortable . I slept soundly . There was no noise from outside . We had a nice breakfast apart from the bacon which I didn't like . It was too salty for my liking . But overall everything else was perfect . Ideal hotel for a weekend away to explore the surrounding area !

Room Tip: If you smoke then room 2 is ideal as there is a door n porch just round the corner .
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Greek first
Wivenhoe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

Due to an error in communication with some friends, I found myself about to go to Gloucester to watch them take on the Monsters from Munster in a Heineken Cup Rugby match without anywhere to stay after the game. My friends had booked into an Hotel but by the time I contacted the hotel it was full.

I chanced upon The Little Thatch Inn on the internet and contacted them. The lady I spoke with was very friendly but did say that they were very busy (invasion on the Munster mobs) and they only had a sinle room available. Before I could say anything, she said she woule do it at a cheaper rate because the basin in the en-suite was cracked, although the sink didn't leak. She took 20% off the normal room rate. All this before I had a chance to say anything.

I took the room and duly arrived on the afternoon of the match. I was welcomed by Laura at the bar, booked in and shown my room with the minimum of fuss albeit very friendly. The room was small but it was clean and was adequate for what I needed. The shower cubicle was a bit small, I am slightly bigger than average I suppose but anyone with a genuinely big build may have struggled to get into the shower. Everything worked well and the shower was powerful enough.

The original building itself dating from the 14th Century was chock full of character. THe extensions ahve been sympathetically done although the newest extension at the rear of the property probably looks a bit too modern compared to the original building.

After booking in, I spent a very pleasant hour in the bar, waiting for my friends, while being hosted by Laura and the equally delightful owner. The following morning at breakfast, the staff on duty were quick, efficient, friendly and professional. I would have no qualms whatsoever about staying at The Little Thatch Inn the next time I am in the area and based on a normal 'Full English Breakfast" which was one of the tastiest I have had, next time I'll try an evening meal which I didn't have the opportunity to taste this time as a rugby game got in the way with Munster monstering the once (and will be again probably) mighty Gloucester.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank BMU91
MrsMcDougall, Manager at The Little Thatch Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Good afternoon,
The room that you stayed in was on our job list. We don’t normally let these rooms go until the problem has been fixed. As this was an extremely busy weekend it was decided that if someone needed the room we would give it at a discount with an explanation. The shower tray in the room is actually the standard size but we are currently having the screens replaced as they don’t give a lot of manoeuvrability in that particular room.
I am very glad that you felt welcomed and were looked after by the staff. They all pride themselves on providing a welcoming feeling where the guest is treated as more than just a room number. I am also thrilled that you enjoyed your breakfast with us and very much hope that we get the chance to host you again.
I also hope that you very much enjoyed what was a very good, if disappointing game for us.
Cheshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Agree almost entirely with TUK58. The point being that this is a very cheap hotel. It was clean, though, and the staff were mostly friendly and helpful.
The food was OK, too. Nothing to write home about, but the kind of thing you would expect in a pub like this.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Good Afternoon. Thank you for your review. We are a bed and breakfast that wants to provide good quality for money. We have a good housekeeping team that do keep our rooms clean and our staff always try and meet the needs of our clientele. I am worried about the term mostly but as there is no further detail, I don’t have much to go on. I hope that you visit us again and that we have improved
Brisbane australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

What can I say. The Little Thatch Hotel (built in 1351) is just amazing. Sloping walls and beams. The staff are so friendly and helpful. I can't praise them enough. The meals are basic but delicious. My room was adequate for my needs and extremely clean. I have actually stayed there on two occasions and when next in Gloucester I will definitely be staying again. It is so quaint and so very friendly. Full marks on their friendly and helpful attitude towards we strangers. I felt really at home. I simply love it.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
MrsMcDougall, Owner at The Little Thatch Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Good evening, thank you for your enthusiastic review. I am very glad that you enjoy staying with us all the way from Australia and we certainly appreciate you returning to us. I am glad the staff looked after you and that you enjoyed your meals. We aim to provide good quality home cooked food for our guests in a cosy setting. I hope you come back soon.
Guisborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the little thatch inn for four nights in October & I will definitely be staying there again if I'm in the area, the staff were very polite & the accommodation was spot on! The meals were cooked to perfection & every night I got in from working my room had been fully cleaned ready for my return, if I had one criticism it would be the size of the tv in my room which is nothing really, I really don't understand why other people are giving the place such bad reviews, for the price you pay the little hatch inn is ideally priced!

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Hello. Many thanks for your glowing review. I understand your point regarding the tv and we are currently looking at replacing the one in the room you stayed in. I am glad that you found us to be value for money as we believe given nearby hotels we are very competitive. I do hope we get the chance to welcome you again as we certainly appreciate returning guests.
United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

I truely wish I'd taken more note of other reports about his place as it is by far the grimmest place I have had the misfortune of using anywhere in the world to date! It is old, dated, dirty (I did not use the shower due to the state of it and chose to slppe in my clothes and escaoe home 1st thing in the morning preferably). If only I had seen the room before the very unfriendly woman at the bar took my money for the room I'd have left immediately. Also to say free WIFI when the WIFI did not work at all was bad. To be 100% fair I would have been more comfortable eating in a McDonalds and sleeping in my car. NEVER AGAIN EVER ! Sadly there is not a single thing positive to say about this place.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Gary A
Hello, thank you for your review. Words cannot describe how I felt reading your review but hopefully I can address you issues. It certainly is an old building as the original building is from 1351, however I would say this was part of its charm as opposed to a negative point. I certainly take offense to the term “dirty” as we are by no means an unclean establishment. Our staff, constantly receive good reports and the lady who checked you in, is definitely not unfriendly. We do take payment on arrival but would have been happy to refund you and let you find somewhere else for the evening if you were this unhappy.

Travellers are raving about these Quedgeley hotels

UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

We stayed at the Little Thatch so we could stay over in the city following the rugby. The location is rather bizarre, situated on quite a busy road leading into the city, but the hotel/pub is a quaint little thatched place. Initially it is very pleasant, low pitched beams, horse brasses, and all very ‘Englishy-fied”. The staff we met were really helpful and extremely friendly. And the main bar seems very pleasant. The visit became a tad bizarre as we stayed away from the main pub and in a separate annexe that seems more in time with a 1970s hotel and took about five minutes to get there. I assumed, from the online pictures, we’d be staying above the main building, close to the bar. It’s not a major problem, but it does involve walking across the car park for meals etc. The room is like the rest of the annexe, really rather dated. The room was pleasant enough, but it’s desperately in need of updating. All the necessary basics are present and the bed was fine. However, the bathroom was strange. The cubicle shower was tiny, I’m a big lad, but not huge and I struggled to get in and close the doors. The shower unit itself is archaic and trying to get good pressure and hot water at the same time is a major challenge…my girlfriend gave up and showered later that day somewhere else. The bathroom is also carpeted which is odd, and contributes to the strange odour that smelt a bit like an English breakfast. Talking of which..the continental breakfast is also trapped in a time-warp, but it’s satisfactory, with cereals and toast. There is a cooked option, which looked nice, but we didn’t try it.

Overall, the location is handy, as it’s about a £10 to town in a taxi or a couple of quid on the bus (takes about 20-25mins). The staff were excellent, particularly the lady who greeted us and the girls at breakfast - One blonde girl in particular dealt very well with guest and his family who were obnoxious. We recommend it at a push, and it’s not outrageous at £60 a night and usefully located to the M5 (j12) and the city.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travelleruk58
Hello, thank you for your review. Firstly I would like to address the hotel issue. The hotel is indeed an addition which was added in the 1990’s however the bar is accessible from the hotel and there is actually no need to walk across the car park to the hotel. Your criticism of the shower is justified and we are making changes to them in our ongoing renovation project. I am pleased the staff members were welcoming and helpful as they really do try to provide good service to all customers. I hope you enjoyed your day out in Gloucester at the rugby.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quedgeley
Holiday Inn Express Gloucester South
Hatton Court Hotel
#2 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,215 reviews
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards

Been to The Little Thatch Hotel Gloucester? Share your experiences!