“great place,great food,great staff”

The Little Thatch Hotel Gloucester
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Quedgeley
Reviewed 26 May 2014

me and my husband stayed here for a week end a few weeks ago, had a great time ,landlord paul comes across as grumpy, bit i think he is a big teddy bear, antony who didnt even work there was just helping out, did a great job did a bit of everything,the bar ,taking food orders, clearing tables, the food was great my husband had t-bone steak it was less tha £14 it was the thickest t-bone we have ever seen cooked just how he wanted it, i had the plaice, scrummy with prawns, antonys wife with lovely red hair who booked us in was really lovely sorry cant remember your name, great atmosphere in the bar, we drank alot of wine, also the best grand marnier coffees, will be back in sept. get the grand marnier in paul. thanks angie n trev

Room Tip: room 16 great
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

We had a lovely time at the little thatch and what made it extra special was the lovely meal we had on a saturday night which was cooked by the head chef Donna. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone who's in the area.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chrissy0506
Reviewed 11 April 2014

this is one of the best hotels I been to the staff are chaming I went back there the breakfast are amazing and I loved the feel of it the rooms and the staff the meals they serve are nice really would recommend here

Room Tip: room 16 was very nice room 10 was good aswell
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Lovely pub.. great settings.. great home cooked food . Fish night was the best.. steak night looks interesting. . And i see they are open for Mother's day lunch... will definitely be popping in again ... many thanks to all the staff...

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Christopher H
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I came here with my mom and best friend when visiting my friend in her new home. We came for lunch at The Little Thatch as my friend had enjoyed drinks in here previously. The bar in the hotel is adorable and Ingrid behind the bar was really welcoming and friendly. We didn't have a huge amount of time but we were the only people eating so assumed it would be fine. It wasn't. We ordered two homemade burgers and a bacon, cranberry and brie panini, thinking that wouldn't take too long. After almost an hours wait our food eventually came as we were about to leave. It was definitely not worth the wait. The burgers were cooked to within an inch of their lives, with a tiny portion of charred onions (that we paid extra to have) smothered in cheap mayonnaise that wasn't even on the description on the menu. Served with cheap undressed iceberg lettuce and one piece of cucumber, it was bitterly disappointing. The panini turned out to be a burnt baguette with fatty bacon. The brie and cranberry were nowhere to be seen. The food was inedible apart from the homemade chips which weren't bad. But if we had wanted chips we could have gone to a local chippy. God knows WHAT the chef was doing for an hour, but it was embarrassing. All in all I would not recommend this as a place to eat. Long wait, terrible food. As a place to drink, lovely. Just avoid the kitchen.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank LFordJones
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Very quaint pub with lots of character . Staff are very friendly and polite . The bar is well stocked and very clean . We did not eat in the restaurant but the food they served looked delicious . We paid £50 for one night plus a £3 suppliment each to have a full english breakfast . The room was spotlessly clean and of a decent size . The bed was very comfortable . I slept soundly . There was no noise from outside . We had a nice breakfast apart from the bacon which I didn't like . It was too salty for my liking . But overall everything else was perfect . Ideal hotel for a weekend away to explore the surrounding area !

Room Tip: If you smoke then room 2 is ideal as there is a door n porch just round the corner .
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Due to an error in communication with some friends, I found myself about to go to Gloucester to watch them take on the Monsters from Munster in a Heineken Cup Rugby match without anywhere to stay after the game. My friends had booked into an Hotel but by the time I contacted the hotel it was full.

I chanced upon The Little Thatch Inn on the internet and contacted them. The lady I spoke with was very friendly but did say that they were very busy (invasion on the Munster mobs) and they only had a sinle room available. Before I could say anything, she said she woule do it at a cheaper rate because the basin in the en-suite was cracked, although the sink didn't leak. She took 20% off the normal room rate. All this before I had a chance to say anything.

I took the room and duly arrived on the afternoon of the match. I was welcomed by Laura at the bar, booked in and shown my room with the minimum of fuss albeit very friendly. The room was small but it was clean and was adequate for what I needed. The shower cubicle was a bit small, I am slightly bigger than average I suppose but anyone with a genuinely big build may have struggled to get into the shower. Everything worked well and the shower was powerful enough.

The original building itself dating from the 14th Century was chock full of character. THe extensions ahve been sympathetically done although the newest extension at the rear of the property probably looks a bit too modern compared to the original building.

After booking in, I spent a very pleasant hour in the bar, waiting for my friends, while being hosted by Laura and the equally delightful owner. The following morning at breakfast, the staff on duty were quick, efficient, friendly and professional. I would have no qualms whatsoever about staying at The Little Thatch Inn the next time I am in the area and based on a normal 'Full English Breakfast" which was one of the tastiest I have had, next time I'll try an evening meal which I didn't have the opportunity to taste this time as a rugby game got in the way with Munster monstering the once (and will be again probably) mighty Gloucester.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank BMU91
MrsMcDougall, Manager at The Little Thatch Hotel Gloucester, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Good afternoon,
The room that you stayed in was on our job list. We don’t normally let these rooms go until the problem has been fixed. As this was an extremely busy weekend it was decided that if someone needed the room we would give it at a discount with an explanation. The shower tray in the room is actually the standard size but we are currently having the screens replaced as they don’t give a lot of manoeuvrability in that particular room.
I am very glad that you felt welcomed and were looked after by the staff. They all pride themselves on providing a welcoming feeling where the guest is treated as more than just a room number. I am also thrilled that you enjoyed your breakfast with us and very much hope that we get the chance to host you again.
I also hope that you very much enjoyed what was a very good, if disappointing game for us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Quedgeley
Hotel Ibis Gloucester
Hotel Ibis Gloucester
#3 of 21 in Gloucester
Hatton Court Hotel
Hatton Court Hotel
#2 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
#13 of 21 in Gloucester
Hallmark Hotel Gloucester
Hallmark Hotel Gloucester
#9 of 21 in Gloucester

Been to The Little Thatch Hotel Gloucester? Share your experiences!