“Fantastic”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in South Cerney
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a night, we were amazed. From the minute we booked in the staff were friendly, polite and welcoming.
The room (140) was more than we were expecting, lakeside view, balcony and loads of space. The spa and swimming pool were nice and again the staff were brilliant. Prior to our stay I asked for a table to be booked at the boathouse, it was pricey but again no complaints and the staff were very polite and welcoming.
We only live 20mins away but it felt like we were in another world, we loved it and will defiantly be back, thank you four pillars, your hotel and staff are a credit and I think a few other hotels need to take note of what you do!!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Twizzle78
Dom and Stephen J, Guest Relations Manager at De Vere Cotswold Water Park, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
We would like to thank our guests for their generous review and look forward to welcoming them back to us at a later date.

We offer several different packages when booking with us directly, all of which our Reservations Team are happy to discuss in further detail including a Dinner, Bed & Breakfast Package that allows diners to eat at The Old Boathouse Pub or in our Brasserie and our bar lounge as well room service. Our Reception Team are happy to discuss all the options and the spending allocation included in the packages at check-in as well as make reservations if and where possible should a table not have been reserved in advance of your arrival.

Guest Relations Manager (s)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (673)
oxfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

We had our wedding here on 12th May in the downstairs kingfisher suite,With views across the lake and a private decking area it was perfect. I would recommend this as a venue for a wedding as the team were fantastic and took all the stress of planning away. Rachel piper planned the day with us and was so accomodating,friendly and professional and Simon Payne ran our day and was so organised and kept everything running along smoothly we were very impressed. The room was decorated as we had asked and looked fab and Rachel had organised the DJ and chair covers and liased with suppliers which meant we didnt have to and we felt relaxed and just enjoyed the day. The food was great and we had chosen the house wine which was very pleasant. Price wise we felt we got alot for our money compared to similar venues.
I cannot thank them all enough for giving us a perfect day.

Room Tip: ask for lake view if possible,just stunning.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Positive feedback from guests is always appreciated and helps to motivate our team to provide the level of customer service that we constantly strive to achieve so we are very thankful to our guests for their kind review.

We are very happy that the wedding day held in our Kingfisher Suite was a success and we would like to wish them a happy future together.

Bath
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

My partner took me here as I treat and I was really looking forward to a break from work. Relevant as I think unless you are particularly rich these sort of trips are to get away from a hectic work life.

We were in one of the more expensive rooms so I assumed I would see it in the quality of the room. Not so. It was a big room for sure but so bare it had nothing more in it than a room at any other hotel. The bed seemed quite small for a room that size and the tv was almost comical in such a large room. There was little in the way of amenities in the room and the bathroom came across as very cheap with a bit of mould around the bath. The toilet, if you pressed the left button, would continue until you flushed it again with the right button. We weren't staying for long so didn't waste time asking for that to be fixed. The 'balcony view' of the lake was actually more of a side stream view of where the water goes so again not great.

Dinner was gorgeous but expensive, there is a great pub called the Eliot Arms not too far by car that we enjoyed on the second night. The breakfast was decent but oddly laid out in the canteen so queues form quickly. The actual spa treatments were really good and in stark comparison to my feelings about the hotel had the nicest spa rooms I have been in.

The pool was nice, the lighting was a nice touch but the jacuzzi-esque beds that were part of the pool were not. The pool was freezing and children were still running and jumping in the pool passed the allotted time. Walking back through the bar where people are dressed up drinking wine whilst you smell of chlorine is also quite strange.

I had read on Tripadvisor just before we left that other visitors can ruin it and they most certainly did for me. There was some work function going on and after going to bed at 1130 I was woken up repeatedly and then for a prolonged period at 3am as couples were arguing, slamming doors, screaming and crying. Worse still is that there was a sofa right outside our room and someone decided to wail right on that spot. It could be argued that the lack of sleep has clouded my view but generally that is what sleep deprivation does! Even without these visitors there was a door banging every few minutes in the morning which we assumed was a service door and cleaning going on upstairs with only a paper thin ceiling to mask the noise.

After a horrendous night of sleep we went for a walk around the lake, the one thing that still seemed to sell the place but as part of the hotel we would have thought a walk way, wood chippings, gravel or anything would have been wise but no, we came back in dragging mud to the hotel.

If this had been a cheaper hotel then I could have better accepted the downfalls but as noise has been complained about before it seems very poor for a 4*

I feel particularly loathed to complain as my partner booked it in good faith thinking it that was going to be a luxurious get-away. Luckily as he can make the best out of any situation this place gets an 'Average' rather than a 'poor'.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Honest09Bath
We offer Connoisseur Double Rooms with working desk area and free broadband access. Our Connoisseur Rooms are larger than our standard bedrooms and each one is serviced with a luxury package including bath robes, welcome drinks tray with wine , mineral water and upgraded toiletries. Some have the added feature of a private deck or balcony overlooking the lake, however, we are not always able to allocate a room that provides a full 'lake view' subject to demand and popularity.

Whilst we do not wish to try and excuse the noise issues that this guest clearly experienced, all hotels receive some comments from noise caused by other guests from time to time. Our food and drink pricing we feel is fair for the standards and atmosphere we offer and we are sorry that this particular guest does not feel the same way. We do offer the added bonus of guests being able to dine, should they prefer in the pub on our complex, The Old Boathouse. For those guests interested in different dining options, we also have a bar lounge menu and a full room service menu.

gloucestershire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

Just returned from a night stay and I must say this wasnt as good as our previous visit a few months back.

There was a wedding reception being held and my husband and I felt a bit like we were inviting ourselves to their night!. While having drinks in the bar we struggled to find somewhere to sit as the wedding party took up the majority of the area. This was by no means their fault but the hotel should keep in mind the other guests who are there too. There was also a conference being held so this increased the numbers.

We tried ordering a bottle of champagne at the bar however we were told it wasnt something they stock at that bar although this was on their wine price list and was clearly something they could get from another bar but they didnt really seem that bothered. We then chose another bottle but were told that was out of stock but again it was clear they didnt want to go out of their way to go to another area to get this.

The room is advertised that you get a newspaper but when we settled our bill we were billed for this. I was then advised it was the i-paper and that although they used to offer a normal paper this was no longer the case. Clearly the room description isnt very clear and misleading.

The food was good and the view from our balcony was really nice. Room was clean however the bed was very hard!

It would have been perfect otherwise but I would have expected to have been able to sit and have a drink after dinner but after a walk we have not real option but to go to our room.

I am not the person to moan but I was looking forward to our night away. However I think too much was going on that they couldnt give the service people would expect.

Room Tip: Ensure you have a balcony!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AmyandChris
We would like to thank our guest for their review but are sorry to learn that they did not enjoy their stay as much as they had during a previous visit.

Any wedding reception or similar function held here at The Cotswold Water Park Four Pillars Hotel will attract a large group of people to our public areas, however, we do offer a separate private bar and function room for all such occasions. We are sorry to learn that the volume of people made the environment less intimate whilst our function guests were moving through the public areas of the hotel.

There can be no excuses for the poor service that on this occasion our guests experienced at the bar and we apologise for this.

We are happy that our guests enjoyed the food in our Brasserie by the lake and that we were able to adjust any billing errors without any problem.

Each guest who stays in a connoisseur room is offered a complimentary i-paper and for a small additional charge, we are happy to deliver a newspaper of your choice to your room if requested at check-in.

Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

Wanted to write a review as a couple that got married here. As I found it hard to find a review when we were looking.

Our day was perfect here.
The food was lovely, the location was beautiful and the staff were great.
We had lisa to help us plan, she was great and always in contact. We had Simon on the day and he made sure everything ticked along perfectly.
Our room decorations were put out just how we wanted.
Our wedding music was timed a bit out, maybe they're was a pause on the disk. For when we walked out the room together. And it was quiet so nobody noticed our quirky song we had spent days choosing!

We choose the upstairs room with the beautiful view. It was wonderful and sunny so it was great for the ceremony and the breakfast. It was dark quite quickly as it was march so the curtains were drawn and the evening guests didn't get to see the view. Would of been lovely for a summers night wedding.

The waiters were all efficient and friendly. The bar staff were fantastic. Simon was quick to sort an extra vegetarian meal and also politely handed us over to a colleague in the evening when he finished. We did celebrate late into the night!
We were meant to get a reminder for giving out the kids goodie bags for the speeches which got forgotten but that didn't really matter in the end.

The break out areas were good as everyone could find a seat. I did find the wedding party got a bit disjointed in the gaps between the ceremony/breakfast/reception as the hotels quite large everyone was spread far apart.

The decking area was great as we had good weather so everyone could go outside and enjoy that for pictures and drinks.

The view made a backdrop for great pics and the photographers martin and mel bennett were amazing.
Four pillars recommended the cotswold chair cover company, they were lovely.

The honeymoon suite had a beautiful view for our first morning as husband and wife! It was large, with a open bathtub and we could watch our wedding room being tidied up after the dj had gone.

Consierge were great help getting the wedding gifts etc all down to the car

It was our perfect day and we would recommend four pillars for a wedding

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lisa B
Dom and Stephen J, Guest Relations Manager at De Vere Cotswold Water Park, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
We are delighted that our guests enjoyed their 'perfect day' with us and it was a pleasure to host their wedding event.

We thank our guests for the comments made here where staff were named individually and will ensure these commenst are passed on directly to commend them in their efforts.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

I had booked a 2 night stay for 10 people for a 70th birthday on the Dinner Bed and Breakfast package for last weekend so was nervous of taking the responsibility. We had lake view balcony rooms which were fabulous and we were all allocated as requested next to each other which was great. A few hiccups at the beginning made me think that maybe a mistake had been made, however then I happened to bump into a manager called Dom and explained the few problems that I had. He immediately took my mobile number went away for half an hour and solved the lot. Everything then went as smoothly as it could have. Every member of staff that we encountered were fantastic and helpful and could not do enough to please. This year we have been fortunate enough to stay in several five star rated hotels but I can honestly say this was the easiest. You do not feel that they are trying to squeeze every penny out of you and are generous with extras which is so refreshing. Plenty of communal areas for meeting up with the rest of your party and both restaurants that we tried had good menu's and excellent service. Well done and thank you Dom!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank HerewegoagainLondon
Not only were we delighted for our guests to stay with us but we are very happy that their celebartion was a success.

Our Front of House Team alongside Concierge and ourselves as Guest Relations Managers are always available to help and assist where possible throughout your stay.

We hope that many more guests will enjoy our wide range of services including great accommodation, food, service and locations and enjoy themslevs enough to feel at home at The Cotswold Water Park Four Pillars Hotel.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

I was lucky and got a spacious lake view room. Beautiful. Plenty Tea, coffee, milk etc in room not rationed like many hotels. Staff helpful and attentive. Conference venue is in separate part of the hotel, so convenient for delegates but not intrusive for guests.
Pool and facilities first class, again staff very friendly and helpful.
I didn't see the many attractions of the water park but walked around the adjacent lake, nice !

Room Tip: Go for Lake View if you can. Believe some noise if facing the road but I was fine.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank notrevich
It is pleasing to learn that our guest enjoyed their visit to The Cotswold water Park Four Pillars Hotel. We thank them for their kind comments regading our staff as feedback and commendations for their efforts as mentioned here can be shared with our team and goes a long way towards keeping their spirits high.

We are very fortunate to have such a location and our guests are able to choose from an amazing range of Cotswolds outdoor activities and watersports, including wake boarding, sailing, horse riding, cycling, fishing or simply strolling around our very own Lake 6 walk.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Cerney
Stonehouse Court
Stonehouse Court
#1 of 2 in Stonehouse
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards

Been to De Vere Cotswold Water Park? Share your experiences!