“Beautiful surroundings with great facilities”

De Vere Cotswold Water Park
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in South Cerney
London
“Beautiful surroundings with great facilities”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I stayed here for a friend's wedding, for which as part of a bulk booking there was a discounted room rate. I read the reviews before coming and felt more than a little trepidation (as some reviews are very negative) but I needn't have worried - I found the experience really good.

All the staff I met during my two-night stay were friendly and helpful and seemed genuinely happy to help.

I actually stayed in a self-catering apartment (although had bed and breakfast) and the accommodation) had everything you could need, although I was a little cold on the second night as the blanket was quite thin.

The room was immaculately clean and very spacious. I agree that the decor lacks a little in character (this is not a country house hotel) - however for a modern hotel it was very comfortable and everything worked well.

Apart from the wedding food (which was delicious but I'm not sure if outside caterers were used), I had the breakfast on the second morning - which was very nice. There was a small mix-up in that the breakfast staff did not think breakfast was included - but I just added this to my room tab which was easily (and quickly) rectified by the check-out staff when I left.

I also had a spa treatment which was very good and Catrina, the lady who did my manicure, was lovely.

I was in several of the conference rooms throughout the weekend for various parts of the wedding and, while I had nothing to do with the organisation and don't know how it was supposed to work, it appeared to run very smoothly.

The bride and groom looked blissfully happy throughout the event and the guests all enjoyed themselves tremendously - I heard no complaints from anyone I spoke to and at approximately 500 guests, the hotel staff had a lot of people to please.

If I had any suggestions it would be that the signage for the apartments (they have over 700 rooms) should be a bit clearer. My room was further away from the main hotel and signs seemed to dry up after 500. In the end I went back to reception and someone happily showed me to my room, after which I found my own way about.

Oh and the views over the lakes are sensational.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
GRM_2013, Guest Relations Manager at De Vere Cotswold Water Park, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
We are pleased that our guests was able to find a well balanced view of the hotel and facilities before their arrival and they enjoyed their self-catering apartment on a bed and breakfast basis whilst visiting the hotel for a wedding celebration.

We are very grateful for the comments made here regarding our staff as positive feedback from guests is always appreciated and helps to motivate our team to provide the level of customer service that we constantly strive to achieve.

Guest Relations Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (681)
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Stayed for a conference and the rooms and facilities were good. Food at dinner was well catered for a large number. Bar staff were friendly and a good breakfast. Didn't spend much time in the room but they had all amenities and well kept.

• Stayed November 2013
We very much appreciate the comments made here and we are very pleased that our guest enjoyed both the hotel and the conference centre during their visit.

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Great staff, nice room, super room service quick to delivery and delicious. The spa was lovely and clean and it was clearly stated the times that children were allowed. I will definitely stay again it has taken me 5 years to find a decent hotel in or near Swindon ! Good value, easy to find, nice setting. At last !

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
We would like to thank our guest for their review and their comments regarding our staff, their room, room service and Spa as well as noting our family friendly times in the Spa.

We are pleased that the hotel was easy to find within convenient reach of Swindon and hope that our guest will choose to stay with us again if wanting to stay in the area.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

I had booked this hotel as a present for my husbands 30th birthday and specifically requested a lake view which I paid for but on arrival you couldn't even call it a partial lake view. Nor did our room have a tea bags so no drink for us on arrival. We did call house keeping a few times but no one answered.The room itself was lovely and spacious but the view was so disappointing. We were looking at the hotel rooms with a bit of a swampy water bit in between. I called reception and was told all lake rooms had already been taken by people who were staying 2 nights and there was nothing they could do. So I took advantage of the free wifi and emailed the hotel and had a prompt reply apologising and refunding me £45 plus they brought up for tea, coffee etc. This is not the point though as I had booked a lake view room 6 weeks before. They shouldn't sell rooms they haven't got! The food was amazing in the brasserie although we had eaten our starters before we got the drinks but they were busy. Breakfast was also lovely and plenty of choice. I agree with the reviews about the reception staff as they are not friendly at all. A smile wouldn't go amiss! I also got charged for my complimentary newspaper! We had a back massage each which were good and lovely facilities but the only disappointment was the swimming pool, it was too small for the size of the hotel and you couldn't really swim as there were so many kids in there splashing and jumping in. Kids were allowed in the pool 8-10am and 3-6pm. If you want a spa break this is not the hotel for you. On the whole I was very disappointed and will not be returning. Ps if you are wondering were the extra towels are they are in the top of the wardrobe (we had to call linen to ask!).

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Charlottebarker18
We are sorry that our guest did not enjoy their stay as fully as we would have hoped, having booked a ‘water view’ room with us.

Our Duty Manager was alerted to the concerns raised by our guests who had chosen to email our Reservations Team whilst already staying with us and we did try on several occasions to discuss the matters of concern directly with our guest but they seemed to be away from their guestroom so all contact was via email rather than not at all to ensure that we were able to make our guests stay as comfortable as possible, despite not being able on this occasion to offer a more suitable view of the water.

Whilst it is regrettable that our guests did not enjoy the hotel, we do hope that they will perhaps sample some of the other hotels in our group which are not always as busy as ourselves, being a 328 bedroom resort property.

Perth
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Cotswold Water Park Hotel again last night (having stayed several times over the past few years) and although the service was excellent, I noticed the standard of cleanliness has declined since my stay 12 months ago. The carpet in the main lobby was very stained and dirty, the couches are very worn, I noticed pieces of bread under one couch last night which was still there this morning, and the lamp stands were all dusty. At breakfast this morning the table was set perfectly, yet there were toast crumbs all over the chairs and floor. In contrast, my bedroom was very clean and tidy, it's just a shame the main entrance and other common areas were grotty!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
We apologise for any issues that our guest encountered on this occasion but hope that, as a regular visitor to the hotel, they can appreciate that their recent encounter is not a reflection of our usual high standards.

The feedback here has been shared with our Head Housekeeper and brasserie staff to ensure that the policies and procedures we already have in place are being followed with much more attention to detail.

We would not only like to apologise to our guest but thank them for bringing this matter on this one isolated occasion to our immediate attention.

Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

My daughter and I were given a one night stay here as a ' Spa package'
As far as I'm concerned Spas are relaxing places where you can spend the best part of a day relaxing.
The hotel itself is fine. Our room overlooked the beautiful lake, which was special.
However I wanted to relax in a Spa, this did not happen. No pool attendant, noisy kids, no drinks.Not enough loungers. Definitely not relaxing! Didn't stay long., retreated to the boat house next door, lovely place.
We had the mud rasul, which was relaxing and very nice, no complaints there.
Breakfast was average, nothing special.
Would recommend a walk around the lake.
Nice hotel, good treatments, Spa environment not up to standard.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Liesbeth E
We are pleased that our guest and her daughter enjoyed their room overlooking our picturesque lake and the hotel itself and The Old Boathouse and our very own Lake 6 walk.

Our Spa is a relaxing environment but as mentioned here on several occasions, we are also a family friendly hotel and do allow access to families and their children at set times each day so that children are also able to enjoy the pool facilities.

Dorridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

Have just returned from a two night "autumn break" two nights dinner bed and breakfast. Great value, superb breakfast and well cooked and well presented brasserie dinner. Lovely location close to Cirencester, Westonbirt Arboretum and other attractions.Regrettably did not have time to take advantage of leisure club and spa. My only criticism is the accounting system. We had paid upfront for our all inclusive stay yet on both nights the waiting staff insisted that we signed for the cost of our meal. This I refused to do signing only for the wine as an extra.Imagine my surprise on checkout at being charged for a meal. Eventually after much argument this was removed, the excuse being "the new accounting system" Cannot fault the staff who are delightful.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
We are pleased that our guest travelling with friends, staying with us on our two night "autumn break" dinner, bed and breakfast offer, found their stay to be great value offering superb breakfast and well-cooked and well-presented brasserie dinner.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Cerney
Stonehouse Court
Stonehouse Court
#1 of 2 in Stonehouse
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards

Been to De Vere Cotswold Water Park? Share your experiences!