“Absolutely faultless”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in South Cerney
Preston, United Kingdom
“Absolutely faultless”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Being treated to an night away by my partner was amazing as it was, only to be amplified by the amazing experience here. On arrival to the grounds we gaped in awe at the beautiful building, Greeted by a warm entrance hall and friendly staff, we were shown to our room - stunning! The curtains were drawn, so we began to unpack in our great sized room. On opening the curtains we were greeted with what can only be described as a glass wall - over looking the lake - breath taking! We arrived at spa6 for our treatments - welcomed in, everything explained to us, robes and slippers and big fluffy towels provided. Our treatments were just fantastic, we shared a rasuel (painted ourselves in mud and a steam room - skin like new!) And a massage. The therapists were a credit to the spa, so calming, thoughtful and nice. We went for a swim and a sauna too, then went to get ready for our evening meal - which was just faultless. The most beautiful food, my partner described his steak as 'melt in the mouth, and cooked to perfection' and my beef blade was perfect. We ended up taking 2 hours to eat, a few bottles of wine and scrummy desserts. So relaxing. We headed off to bed for a great nights sleep, in the most comfortable bed I've possibly ever slept in. And a fantastic choice was laid out for breakfast too.

from start to finish, we were made to feel welcome and cared for.

I cannot recommend enough, will definitely be telling everyone about here.

Thank you for making our stay so enjoyable!

• Stayed November 2013
GRM_2013, Guest Relations Manager at De Vere Cotswold Water Park, responded to this review, 30 November 2013
We are very happy that our guest had “an amazing experience” at the hotel and enjoyed our location and surroundings.

We are very grateful for the kind recognition of our Spa, the facilities and our staff, as well as the kind observations noted here in respect of our food in the hotel restaurant.

Guest Relations Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (705)
Gloucester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2013

As part of a family group of 14, our main request was for one room to be an adjoining another with disabled facilities, in view of my disabled ederly grandmother staying as well. Despite plenty of time provided to the Hotel, they did not cater for this, causing a lot of stress and anxiety for all involved. The duty manage however tried to do everything in his power to rectify the problem but could not cater for our request. Place itself is very nice, with good facilities and food excellent.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
We are pleased we were able to accommodate this family group and that we were able to provide adequate accommodation for our mobility impaired guest to make her stay more comfortable. We do offer a variety of rooms which offer more space and low level bathroom facilities and apologise for any confusion through our booking process on this occasion.

We are very much looking forward to upgrading our ‘less abled facilities’ in the rooms in the New Year.

London
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We have always loved staying in this hotel with our children, usually staying over the summer and christmas holidays. We have often recommeded it to friends and families and my sister and her family have also become regular guests through us. One of the main advantages is that they have suites with a seperate bedroom and lounge so the children could use the sofabed in the lounge, rather than all squeezed into 1 room. When we last stayed (December) in a suite, whilst still comfortable, the rooms clearly could do with a refurbishment so we were pleased to hear it was planned for later in the year. When I just called them to book a package over New Years Eve I was told there were no available suites so I enquired about other dates. I was told suites were now no longer available AT ALL, AT ANY TIME to families with chidren. It was not a matter of paying more money or travelling at another time but that children were actually banned from staying in the suites. I explained seperate bedrooms was a major reason we had visited so frequently (at least 10 times) over the last 4 years but all the lady could offer is what they call a "family room" - 1 bedroom with extra beds. I can appreciate if room rates change/increase over time but find it astonishing we are now banned from using them at all. I am not sure what they are worried families will do in these rooms and I am incredibly disappointed that after being such a loyal and regular customers, we wont be using this hotel again. Shame on you Four Pillars!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel if you have kids - really sad to haver to say this as they have wonderful facil...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Alison M
GRM_2013, Manager at De Vere Cotswold Water Park, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear 'Alison M'
Thank you for your review.

It sounds as though there has been some significant confusion over your booking and I am very sorry for this.

I would like to reassure you we do still have the rooms you describe available, but they are known as 'self-catering apartments'.
These are configured so that an additional bedroom can be included as well as a living room and kitchen space. Vouchers can also be purchased to include breakfasts and dinner for as many days as you would like.

A 'Suite' is a description of a very different room type that we have recently altered and as such we have removed the facility to put additional beds into the 'Suite' rooms.
Children and families are as ever very welcome and we still have lots of space to accommodate you.

I am so sorry that this confusion has occurred and if you would like to contact the Guest Relations Team directly we would be very happy to make sure we find the correct type of room for your needs.
Kindest Regards

The Guest Relations Team
Dom Haigh, Stephen Brock and Juliet Weeramanthri
London
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I stayed here for a friend's wedding, for which as part of a bulk booking there was a discounted room rate. I read the reviews before coming and felt more than a little trepidation (as some reviews are very negative) but I needn't have worried - I found the experience really good.

All the staff I met during my two-night stay were friendly and helpful and seemed genuinely happy to help.

I actually stayed in a self-catering apartment (although had bed and breakfast) and the accommodation) had everything you could need, although I was a little cold on the second night as the blanket was quite thin.

The room was immaculately clean and very spacious. I agree that the decor lacks a little in character (this is not a country house hotel) - however for a modern hotel it was very comfortable and everything worked well.

Apart from the wedding food (which was delicious but I'm not sure if outside caterers were used), I had the breakfast on the second morning - which was very nice. There was a small mix-up in that the breakfast staff did not think breakfast was included - but I just added this to my room tab which was easily (and quickly) rectified by the check-out staff when I left.

I also had a spa treatment which was very good and Catrina, the lady who did my manicure, was lovely.

I was in several of the conference rooms throughout the weekend for various parts of the wedding and, while I had nothing to do with the organisation and don't know how it was supposed to work, it appeared to run very smoothly.

The bride and groom looked blissfully happy throughout the event and the guests all enjoyed themselves tremendously - I heard no complaints from anyone I spoke to and at approximately 500 guests, the hotel staff had a lot of people to please.

If I had any suggestions it would be that the signage for the apartments (they have over 700 rooms) should be a bit clearer. My room was further away from the main hotel and signs seemed to dry up after 500. In the end I went back to reception and someone happily showed me to my room, after which I found my own way about.

Oh and the views over the lakes are sensational.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
GRM_2013, Guest Relations Manager at De Vere Cotswold Water Park, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
We are pleased that our guests was able to find a well balanced view of the hotel and facilities before their arrival and they enjoyed their self-catering apartment on a bed and breakfast basis whilst visiting the hotel for a wedding celebration.

We are very grateful for the comments made here regarding our staff as positive feedback from guests is always appreciated and helps to motivate our team to provide the level of customer service that we constantly strive to achieve.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Stayed for a conference and the rooms and facilities were good. Food at dinner was well catered for a large number. Bar staff were friendly and a good breakfast. Didn't spend much time in the room but they had all amenities and well kept.

• Stayed November 2013
We very much appreciate the comments made here and we are very pleased that our guest enjoyed both the hotel and the conference centre during their visit.

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Great staff, nice room, super room service quick to delivery and delicious. The spa was lovely and clean and it was clearly stated the times that children were allowed. I will definitely stay again it has taken me 5 years to find a decent hotel in or near Swindon ! Good value, easy to find, nice setting. At last !

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
We would like to thank our guest for their review and their comments regarding our staff, their room, room service and Spa as well as noting our family friendly times in the Spa.

We are pleased that the hotel was easy to find within convenient reach of Swindon and hope that our guest will choose to stay with us again if wanting to stay in the area.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

I had booked this hotel as a present for my husbands 30th birthday and specifically requested a lake view which I paid for but on arrival you couldn't even call it a partial lake view. Nor did our room have a tea bags so no drink for us on arrival. We did call house keeping a few times but no one answered.The room itself was lovely and spacious but the view was so disappointing. We were looking at the hotel rooms with a bit of a swampy water bit in between. I called reception and was told all lake rooms had already been taken by people who were staying 2 nights and there was nothing they could do. So I took advantage of the free wifi and emailed the hotel and had a prompt reply apologising and refunding me £45 plus they brought up for tea, coffee etc. This is not the point though as I had booked a lake view room 6 weeks before. They shouldn't sell rooms they haven't got! The food was amazing in the brasserie although we had eaten our starters before we got the drinks but they were busy. Breakfast was also lovely and plenty of choice. I agree with the reviews about the reception staff as they are not friendly at all. A smile wouldn't go amiss! I also got charged for my complimentary newspaper! We had a back massage each which were good and lovely facilities but the only disappointment was the swimming pool, it was too small for the size of the hotel and you couldn't really swim as there were so many kids in there splashing and jumping in. Kids were allowed in the pool 8-10am and 3-6pm. If you want a spa break this is not the hotel for you. On the whole I was very disappointed and will not be returning. Ps if you are wondering were the extra towels are they are in the top of the wardrobe (we had to call linen to ask!).

1 Thank Charlottebarker18
We are sorry that our guest did not enjoy their stay as fully as we would have hoped, having booked a ‘water view’ room with us.

Our Duty Manager was alerted to the concerns raised by our guests who had chosen to email our Reservations Team whilst already staying with us and we did try on several occasions to discuss the matters of concern directly with our guest but they seemed to be away from their guestroom so all contact was via email rather than not at all to ensure that we were able to make our guests stay as comfortable as possible, despite not being able on this occasion to offer a more suitable view of the water.

Whilst it is regrettable that our guests did not enjoy the hotel, we do hope that they will perhaps sample some of the other hotels in our group which are not always as busy as ourselves, being a 328 bedroom resort property.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Cerney
#3 of 8 in Cirencester
Stonehouse Court
Stonehouse Court
#1 of 2 in Stonehouse

Been to De Vere Cotswold Water Park? Share your experiences!