“Lovely setting, great food.”

De Vere Cotswold Water Park
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in South Cerney
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I'd give this 3.5 stars if I could. We stayed over Valentines weekend, which was very busy. On arrival, the hotel was spotlessly clean with plenty of parking. Our room was on the first floor and was extremely spacious with a massive double bed. The duvet was thick and there were extra pillows available if desired. The room was warm, with a safe and tea and coffee facilities, as well as a trouser press, iron and hairdryer.The bathroom was small but perfectly functional and fine with a good, hot shower.
We ate in the restaurant that night and were able to mix and match from two menus which suited us better for choice. The staff were very courteous and professional at all times and the dinner was delicious. The booking had included breakfast and dinner, which was worth doing as dinner would have been quite expensive.
The pool was nice, and although not huge for the size of the hotel, it did have a large steam room (which wasn't the steamiest!) a sauna and 2 hot bed things, as well as a choice of showers and an array of seating. The pool also has designated times for children, which are early in the mornings and later in the afternoons.
On the Saturday we went to a valentines dinner in the hotel which had to be booked separately. It was well worth going to as the food was amazing for all 5 courses and had a harpist followed by a disco after dinner. They really pushed the boat out in terms of food and service, with great attention paid to details such as table decorations and we had a great night. I am sure other events here would be approached in a similar fashion.
The buffet breakfast was very well cooked and tasty although we did have to queue for around ten minutes. There are signs around the hotel to warn you that queues are expected unless you plan to eat really early. You are able to order extras such as vegetarian sausages, poached eggs and kippers, which was good. Breakfast was extremely busy and although you could tell that the staff were rushed off their feet they remained courteous in all of their dealings with us. There was a vast array of choice, with lots of cereals, yoghurts, fruits, pastries and cooked bits-they had thought of everything!
The spa was lovely and seemed to be quite large with lots of therapists, leading to a bit of an impersonal feel. The treatments were quite pricy but were lovely, I had the 55 minute relaxer body massage with a heated bed and a lovely thick duvet.
The only negatives were that there always seemed to be a queue for reception and that the bar area/lobby was always busy and therefore quite noisy, as well as the queue for breakfast.
On the plus side, the food was delicious, worth the wait, the room was large and the setting is beautiful with the lake. The staff were always very pleasant and professional and there always seemed to be a good presence which is essential for a hotel of this size and we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
GRM_2013, Guest Relations Manager at De Vere Cotswold Water Park, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

We are happy that our guests who travelled as a couple enjoyed our ‘Valentines package’ and their allocated room and in-room facilities as well as our food in the various hotel outelts.
We thank them for noting our courteous and professional staff and our Spa facilities and that the formal valentines evening with entertainment was enjoyable.

Guest Relations Team

Write a ReviewReviews (2,702)

Reviewed 16 February 2014

I have just recently returned from a Valentines break at the four pillars, and it was a surprise from my partner. He paid £99 per night which included breakfast and dinner. We arrived on Valentines day at around 5.45 pm after a long journey and delays due to the rain. The drive in to the main entrance was easy and the hotel looked promising and I was excited. We had to queue and wait for check in, which was fine. I had called up the week before and paid a £20 supplement for a lake view room. We checked in and made our way to our room, which was situated on the ground floor of the hotel. When we got to the room, my heart sank. It looked like a travel lodge room, tired dated and very basic. I was really disappointed and was trying to hide it from my partner as felt awful as he had gone to all this trouble. He then said to me that the room was really disappointing and that it looked like a travel lodge room not a four star AA rated room as advertised. Here is why: The bed: An old tired twin which had been pushed together to make a very small double that constantly moved apart or away from the wall when you sat on it. A super thin duvet that looked tired and worn, same with the pillows. A flat screen TV that constantly lost sound and kept coming in and out muffled speech. No mini bar. I have stayed in 3 star rated places which include this. The bathroom tired old,and small with a shower curtain that stuck to you. I have to say that the shower did work really well, but with no ventilation and being quite small it got very hot and steamy. The balcony was nice and there was a nice view and I was thankful I paid the extra £20 as I would have dreaded to think what a standard room would have looked like as this one was so bad. On the plus side the room was nice and large, but it was just so tired worn and poor in design. There was a nice bottle of prosecco on arrival so that helped! I have stayed in better premier inns and had the best nights sleep in their beds which were plusher and more sumptuous!

I had to call reception to come and help me with the iron as it didn't work. When I spoke to the woman on reception I told her that I was really disappointed with the room, and that it was not what I was expecting. I understand that the hotel was busy, but to be told that the rooms upstairs are better and they have mini bars and robes etc just rubbed salt in the wounds. I just got the impression that we were given the tired rooms because we were booked on a package travel zoo deal which isn't very fair.

A lady came and sorted the iron, and we both got ready for dinner. When you walk from reception its directly by and open bar area that the leads to the restaurant. The open plan style felt a bit airport waiting lounge and not a bar.

We went to dinner and was shown to our seats. The menu was set and you chose a starter, main and dessert. I had the salmon fishcake, beef and cheesecake for afters. The drinks were very very over priced. My starter was good my main dry and school dinner like dessert good. service felt rushed on both nights and on night two we were put all the way to the end of the restaurant where there lacked any ambiance from the main restaurant, and we were sat by a very very loud birthday party. Also on the second evening we asked for a jug of iced water, and nothing came at all. It was only an hour later we reminded the waiter who then brought a filled bottle that had been sitting on the side for a while and was Luke warm. I have to say the fish for main on the second night was a lot better than my first nights dinner, but the whole restaurant felt travel lodge y again and with a rushed service.

For lunch the next day I ordered a burger from the bar which cost £18 and we waited ages for it, and when it was brought the burger was good but we had hardly any chips and there was fried aubergine mixed in with the over cooked chips we were given, which must have come from the fryer! I asked the waitress for some more chips as there were hardly any!

Now for the best bit and the one bit I enjoyed. The spa and the therapy pool. My treatment was well worth the money and my therapist Jo was amazing and gave a great massage and service. The pool though small was super clean, and had the best therapy jets which massaged your neck etc. Great sauna and good steam room. We both enjoyed our first morning there .

Breakfast was also good and you had everything you could ask for, so this made up for the average dinner and room.

Overall the hotel is trying to be a 4 star rated establishment, but is cutting corners on important things like decent rooms with decent sized beds and small touches including decent toilet paper. The drinks are really over priced as is the restaurant (thank goodness we were b+b and dinner basis') and would dread to think what someone would say if they were paying full price for their meals with the standard and service.

The spa 6 was its saving grace and was excellent. I would only come back to the hotel not to stay but for the spa and swimming pool only.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank disney72

We are sorry to learn that our guest seemed not to enjoy the stylistic choices that we have made that so many other guests have commented on as ‘excellent’.

Whilst we are sorry that they seemed not to enjoy the food or our often commented upon prices as ‘good value for money’, we are pleased that they were able to enjoy the weekend in our Spa and that breakfast was an enjoyable event.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

We Stayed with business last week whilst running an event at the hotel, welcome and set was fine,service from reception staff was god, room was enormous, and food was good particularly the evening meal,overall a good stay but maybe not just great, would definitely come back as really good value for money.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

We thank our business guest for their on-line and we are pleased that their pre-planned event was successful and the food enjoyable as well as offering ‘good value for money’

Reviewed 10 February 2014

I have stayed here over the last 6 years and always want to return. The hotel is only 20mins from where I live yet you feel a world away! The last time i stayed was November 30th the day after my wedding. We booked the lake view suite and was not disappointed. We now want the suite for every visit! We usually book a dinner, bed and breakfast deal which is very good value. I have had treatments at the spa a couple of time and did feel that the beauticians have you on a conveyor belt, they could do with taking less bookings but having a more personable service for treatments. In saying that maybe i just have a negative experience that day. The pool, sauna, bar are wonderful, highly recommend it

Room Tip: Dont bother with balcony room unless the weather is nice. Avoid rooms a long walk from the main hote...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank purplewren
GRM_2013, Guest Relations Manager at De Vere Cotswold Water Park, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

We would like to thank our guests for the valued custom and for the positive reiview here as well as congratulate them on their recent marriage.

Many Thanks

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Stayed over a cold and drizzly February weekend, but the view from the bedroom window made up for the weather. The room was comfortable, with a decent sized double bed for two (a large double). The bathroom was compact, but adequately large, with plenty of toiletries on hand.
The hotel offers a conference facility which means that breakfast tends to be the standatd buffet fare. However, we were very impressed by the option to have some food cooked to order such as kippers or haddock - just remember to ask the staff if they are busy.
We ate in the Brasserie one night and in the Old Boathouse the other. On reflection, we preferred the choice at the latter, but both are equally good.
The swimming pool is very good with plenty of add ons such as a sauna and steam room. Very popular thogu - so go early or late.
Hope to return in the summer when we hope to be able to enjoy the outside decking.

Room Tip: Make sure you request a water view at time of booking.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

We are pleased that our guests enjoyed the hotel, their room, breakfast and the Spa facilities. We thank them for taking the time to place a review on-line for us and hope that they will return again to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

I have been visiting this hotel for over four years now. Always disappointed when there's no room available. It is a relatively young property, with all conveniences. Quite a large hotel, with a beautiful view over one of the lakes.
There is only one small disadvantage: there is no air conditioning, almost cannot understand this wasn't taken into the design of this modern building. However: I would still stay here on a hot summer day.
Very friendly staff and great facilities around. Swimming pool, gym and just a few miles away from the South Cerney golf course.
You'll stay on a quiet stop between Cirencester and Swindon, just half a mile from the A419

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd floor (US)/ 1st level (EU) are more quiet, the top floor even better. Want to have...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank 70tons
GRM_2013, Guest Relations Manager at De Vere Cotswold Water Park, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2014

We would like to thank our repeat guest for taking the time to provide their feedback online. We are pleased that they continually enjoying staying with us and find the facilities of Spa6 beneficial as well as our unique lake-side setting.

Stephen J Brock, Juliet Weeramanthri & Dominic Haigh

Reviewed 3 February 2014

the lake side view from full aspect bedroom window takes a lot to beat , swans, ducks , the odd pike and chubb . or just seat back and enjoy . the evening menu is cooked to a very high standard and with helpful waitresses and friendly makes for a good night . the swimming pool , sauna , stream room , gym , massage all to a high standard . nice walks around lake and area surrounding hotel also bike hire with plenty of safe areas to cycle . a central place to stay if touring the Cotswolds .

Room Tip: ask for lake view
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
GRM_2013, Guest Relations Manager at De Vere Cotswold Water Park, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Like many other guests to the hotel, we thank our visitors for noting that the our lake-side view takes a lot to beat including the swans, ducks and of course the water-life such as pike and chubb.

We are pleased that they enjoyed our evening menu and found everything to be cooked to a very high standard. The feedback regarding our staff will be shared directly with the restaurant team as we know just how far, praise like this goes towards keeping the spirits of the whole team high.

We are pleased our guests, again like many others were able to experience the newly refurbished Spa, its hydrotherapy pool and other poolside features as well as our fully equipped gym.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Cerney
#1 of 2 in Lower Slaughter
The Swan Hotel
The Swan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bibury

Been to De Vere Cotswold Water Park? Share your experiences!