“10 days touring”
Review of Hoburne Cotswold

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Cerney
Hoburne Cotswold
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I picked this site based on its web site presentation and the reviews on trip adviser and would just confirm that it is everything we expected in a most positive way. 3 adults 2 kids 4 and 6. The kids loved it, pools were great and obviously the outdoor pool was aided by the lovely weather. All prices reasonable, beer could have been cheaper but I am a Yorkshireman! Tv reception adequate pitch very level lots of room for awning and to put table and chairs out. Suprised that there was no separate recycling bins? I purposesly left washing line rotary at home as well as our flag, as per website instructions however, everyone else had a flag and their washing line! Plenty of evidence of sleeping in awnings too? Reception helpful although i could not see a clear sign saying tourer reception arrival parking this way which would have been nice, it's not a case of we will just try down here towing 24ft of caravan, so ended up pulling in just after the barrier and running across the car park. This is a family site and you will always get a bit of noise but if is tranquility you want go to a CL site. Most noise died off at 11pm. Shower blocks great as clean as everyone says, hot showers so all good. Kids playground was good but they hardly used it far happier doing laps round the park on their bikes. Went on peddle ow which was fun and safe, crazy golf probably needs a refurb, we ventured to the entertainment night on a couple of occasions which was good for the kids but we left before adult turns came on. There is a man made beach on a lake just round the corner and whilst costing £17 to get in was probably worth it given the weather stayed lovely all day, so well worth a look. Wanted a relaxing break and it was certainly that, I would go as far as to say best touring site we have been to. We could easily stay another time without running out of things to do and see, so I really do look forward to going back.

Room Tip: We stayed pitches B63 and these seemed to get longer evening sun than those toward the statics due t...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Crz535
HoburneHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at Hoburne Cotswold, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Thanks for your review. We're pleased to hear that your touring holiday was great and we look forward to seeing you again so you have another chance to explore everything the Cotswold has to offer.

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

On our way home from cornwall we stopped over at Hoburne Cotswold for three nights. Totally enjoyable on all aspects, clean and tidy site with all the amenities expected of a sight of this size. So impressed we have booked again for easter 2015 lovelly location and plenty to do.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thanks for your kind review! It's great to hear that you've booked again based on your positive experience. Thanks!

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

We booked for a weeks camping for our family of 5. Price included pitch, electricity and entertainment passes. The pitches are of a good size with a hard standing for your vehicles, electricity unit for our tent was quite far away so you may find your cable is a little stretched!

The entertainment is great for children my family range from 3 to 8 and all enjoyed it, although it can be a little repetitive. Alex from Cbeebies made a guest appearance and he was great, think he's coming back again, the show was well worth the visit.

The amenity blocks are cleaned once a day, perhaphs in high season this should be increased to twice as by mid afternoon they look a little dirty.

The main restaurant,menu is limited but priced quite reasonably, there can be a wait so best to order whilst the children's entertainment is on and it's ready by the time there done. There seems to be a queuing system for the bar which is strange and you have to wait to be called up, may be easier if they had more staff. Drinks are also not overly expensive.

My one gripe would be that the tent pitches are placed at the far end right nxt to the main road, we're were in block A, pitch 106, you are woken by traffic as early as 5am, for us this spoilt sitting outside our tent for meals etc, we were not advised of this when booking which was disappointing.

All in all a great place to visit centrally located for local towns etc.

Stayed: August 2014

Thanks for your review. We're looking at ways to reduce the traffic noise for our campers so hopefully this is something we'll be able to introduce in the future. Thanks!

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Very pleasant get-together 13 of us various ages 2-70yrs, staying in 2 lodges and caravan. Very clean, well-maintained,lake-side site, obviously changed since taking our 3 sons there a number of times in the 1980's. Plenty to do,good standard of site,
catering, excellent staff in all areas.

Room Tip: Not a hotel, most lodges and caravans well equipped and maintained, good locations
1  Thank SandJGibbon

Thanks for your review. It's good to hear that our holiday park was a great venue for the family get together! Thanks.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

This is a review of Hoburne Cotswolds Holiday Park as a camping venue.
This was our first camping holiday as a family (2 adults and 2 children age 5 and 2).
As a child I used to camp for all my holidays, mainly on quiter sites in Scotland and the Lake District but also in France, Germany and Austria. Our own family holidays over the past few years have been to Centre Parcs and Villa's but now that we're limited to school holidays we looked for a cheaper alternative. This was my first experience of a UK holiday park.
We chose to visit the Cotswolds for our holidays as neither me nor my husband had been to the area before and we wanted somewhere fairly close to Oxfordshire where we have family in order to meet for a few days out.
We chose Hoburne holiday park over quieter campsites mainly because it had a swimming pool and our children love swimming.
Overall we had a lovely holiday but it has to be said that this was mainly due to the wonderful weather and the amazing days out that we had (Cotswold Wildlife Park and Gloucester & Warwickshire Steam Railway well worth a visit). Hoburne Cotswolds was ok (it has to be said that the kids loved it) and there were definitely good points but on reflection we decided that a holiday park doesn’t really suit us.
Pitch (we had pitch 13)
The camping field is fairly large and our pitch was a good size with access to hard standing and electric hook up. There were plenty of toilet blocks and there were always clean and well maintained. There didn’t appear to be a family room but there was a changing bench for our 2 year old. The warden cycled past shortly after we arrived to make sure we were ok and he was very friendly and helpful. The main issue with the camping pitches is the proximity to the road. I had prepared myself for some noise having read other reviews, but our pitch was right next to the main junction and there seemed to be constant traffic noise (including the odd squealing of breaks) throughout the day and into the evening. The noise didn’t actually disturb the children’s sleep, but despite the high verges to block site of the road, you certainly didn’t feel like you were camping in the beautiful Cotswold country side.
The majority of the week we were lucky that the site was quite so the only noise we had to deal with was from the road, however, by the weekend the campsite had filled up and unfortunately there was a large group of very inconsiderate campers opposite us. They drank, chatted and sang well beyond midnight and were not reprimanded at all for this. I don’t see it as my job to have to request that they quieten down and would expect there to be some sort of reasonable curfew that the camp wardens would enforce on other holiday makers behalf. Luckily we only had to deal with it for 1 night before we left.
Another slight issue we had, which is rarely a problem in England, was that our pitch (and the majority of the pitches) lack any shade and when the temperature was hanging around 28 degrees all week, inside the tent was unbearable and we struggled to keep the children out of the sun. If you do like shade, it would be wise to request this at the point of booking.

Swimming Pool
Both swimming pools were nice and clean and never too busy. Both our kids loved them. The pool staff were all fairly young and they looked like they wanted to be anywhere other than at work. They were curt at times and inconsistent when applying ‘the rules’. My daughter had been going on the slide successfully on her own for several days and was then told she wasn’t allowed because she wasn’t 6 years old. We then had to deal with the floods of tears that followed (the fact that she can swim 50 metres and is probably safer than the older kids wearing arm bands clearly doesn’t count). I understand there have to be some regulations but I’ve never known any other swimming pool (and we’ve been to a fair few!) that insist you need to be 6! Another thing to bear in mind is that the outdoor pool closes at 5pm. Not great if you come back from a day out. In relation to the pass you need to carry on you for the pool, this was made of card which seems crazy when your carrying wet towels etc. I’m sure a rubber wrist band would be a much better idea.
Food Outlet
There’s a small fast food service which was reasonable enough and there’s seating indoors to consume the food next to the soft play area. The staff were friendly but I have to say there were lazy. Again they were young and probably couldn’t care less, but there was always loads of rubbish, food cartons and litter on the floor whilst they stood around chatting in the kitchens without any people to serve. Perhaps this could be avoided to some extent if there was somewhere to put your used trays and encourage people to clean up a bit after themselves.
Entertainment
There seemed to be a variety of entertainment for children and adults but I can’t comment on any of it as we avoided the main complex in the evening for various reasons.

Play park, Soft Play, Pedalos, Mini Golf.
Sadly we didn’t get around to the pedalo’s and mini golf but the children enjoyed the play area and soft play.

The most disappointing aspect of the holiday for me was an exchange I had with another parent. Having watched her daughter already punch another child in the soft play I then asked the same little girl to get away from my 2 year old son whilst she tried stamping on his chest to make him move out of her way. We promptly left whilst the girl’s mother continued to chat with her back to the soft play ignoring her children. We went to the outdoor park instead only to be confronted by the parent 10 minutes later swearing and shouting at me for daring to tell her daughter off as she felt only she should be allowed to do that. I was left feeling pretty shocked and shaken by this but in all honesty I think she did represent a small proportion of the population on the park. There were some folk who simply wanted to dump their kids in the soft play, swimming pool, kids club or even strap them into their pushchairs so that they could sit drinking and sunbathing. Call me a snob but that’s not my idea of a family holiday and if thats what you have to put up with on a uk holiday park then I’m afraid to say I won’t be going near one again! I mean who swears in front of their own kids never mind a park full of children!! Obviously this has nothing to do with Hoburne and I’m sure they don’t condone that behaviour but it’s just worth noting if your wondering about risking a holiday park versus a quieter camp site when choosing to go on holiday.
Although this might have sounded like a negative review, I can’t say that my holiday was ruined based on our choice of camping venue. The main centre isn’t close to the campsite so you can forget it’s there once your next to your own tent. We thought the area itself was lovely and there are some lovely places to visit so you need not stick around on the holiday park, you can use it as a base to sleep and have a swim which is what we ultimately did in the end.

4  Thank Woolly0976
HoburneHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at Hoburne Cotswold, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thanks for your thorough review of your camping experience at Hoburne Cotswold. We can only apologise for the areas you mentioned in your review that disappointed you.

We are quite perturbed to hear about the altercation you had with another holidaymaker. We urge all of our holidaymakers to bring these issues up with staff members when they happen so that they can be rectified.

Your comments have been passed on to park management for review and we hope your experience has not put you off from staycationing in the UK. Thank you.

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

I live 30mins away yet I didn't know this place was here for example if I had known it was here when my children were younger I wouldn't have bothered with Butlins / pontins I would recommend this amazing park every time. We had no children with us this year however we have been thoroughly entertained by Peter kay I mean joel and his amazing hard working team and I've learned the Sammy wiggle whoop whoop the quality of food in the restaurant is excellent the staff are friendly the amenities are spotless the park is well kept and clean. It's a wonderful nature reserve also in fact we have already booked for next year and I'm bringing my granddaughter and family. I'm really sad to be going home

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Imogen M

Wow, thanks for recommending us so highly! It's great that you've already booked to come back and visit us again with more of your family! Thanks for the review and see you next year!

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We decided to holiday in the U.K this year and glad we did!
Hoburne Cotswold was an ideal location for us to see many of the attractions the Cotswolds has to offer. We were very pleased with our caravan; on arrival it was spotlessly clean, in fabulous condition and contained everything we needed, great that we didnt need to pack any bedding or kitchen equipment. The caravan was a good size and we were pleased that our double room had an ensuite bathroom! The park itself is at a beautiful location and near many of the activity centres. The pools were great, we were lucky with the weather and took advantage of sunbathing on the sunloungers around the outside pool while our daughters enjoyed the indoor pool with the slides! Personally I would of liked to listen to some music while lounging by the pool. We did eat once from the fast food takeaway at Hoburne Cotswolds, we had a £9.99 bargin bucket which consisted of 4 x burgers & chips, we thought it was good value and did what it needed, filled a gap! The bar was ok, a good size, we were expecting the drinks to be expensive as you are a captive audience, but it was no worse that we were expecting. As we werent interested in the younger childrens activities, we would have one or 2 drinks before wandering to the evenings entertainment at around 9pm. The entertainment... what we saw was pretty cheesy apart from a visiting comedien, he was hilarious.
Overall we were very pleased with our stay and would definitly consider returning.

3  Thank Fay Y

Thanks for your in-depth review of your Hoburne Cotswold experience. It's good to hear that you had a great experience with us, and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Cerney
Village Hotel Swindon
Village Hotel Swindon
#9 of 25 in Swindon
Blunsdon House Hotel, BW Premier Collection

Been to Hoburne Cotswold? Share your experiences!